August 2024 PC Gaming General Discussion Thread

Page 5 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Stardew Valley has better graphics.

Are SV's graphics more “realistic”? No. But MW's graphics fall into an awkward uncanny valley. SV's graphics have more charm, and that's more important than realism.
You suck and your opinion sucks. I no longer respect you as a human. What's more, you've been brainwashed by PCG into their uncanny valley club, which they talk about regularly.

But I never said to compare it to Stardew Valley, which has nice graphics. I said Stardew-likes. I should have linked to several examples, but I know now it wouldn't have helped because you all have no taste. Personally, I think the game in question is probably #2 all-time in my view. I can only think of one game that has better graphics, and if I could think of that game's name, I would tell you all about it so you could not appreciate it with your simple peasant's sense of taste.

Mods, please ban these two tasteless nitwits. :LOL:
* sorry for the emoji, but the mods from PCG (not our mods here) tend to not recognize when you are attempting to be funny. They would likely either delete or modify my post.

Last edited:
Mirthwood doesn't strike me as being similar to Stardew at all from the video I watched of it

less farming the small amount I saw, and its world seems much bigger

Mods, please ban these two tasteless nitwits. :LOL:
* sorry for the emoji, but the mods from PCG (not our mods here) tend to not recognize when you are attempting to be funny. They would likely either delete or modify my post.
wonders where here is... and who he should ban today... rolls 20 sided dice... damn, 22 again. How does that happen.

Ah, I missed that. Upon looking at some examples, I now agree with you, a lot of Stardew-likes have even worse graphics.

My Time at Portia? Or maybe Dinkum?
Dinkum. I've always been a sucker for stylized, low poly. I like the outback setting as well.

Hey, do you think your daughter would find the mayhem of a tower defense game fun? Probably not. Just a thought. But Emberward might be interesting to play together. You could set up the Tetris blocks, and then she could set up the towers. There's a demo of it you could try.

Dinkum. I've always been a sucker for stylized, low poly. I like the outback setting as well.

Hey, do you think your daughter would find the mayhem of a tower defense game fun? Probably not. Just a thought. But Emberward might be interesting to play together. You could set up the Tetris blocks, and then she could set up the towers. There's a demo of it you could try.

It's definitely worth a try.

We played a bit more of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, on the request of my kid, but it seems she gets bored of it pretty quickly. She likes finding upgrades, but I think she gets frustrated with the controls. It's not easy controlling two units at the same time.

I got stuck on a level and had to replay it like 4 times, which really hurt my motivation to keep playing.
No offence intended honestly, but this makes me wonder. If you had to do the same thing again over 4 times, why were you doing the same things?

:D

I feel like most games don't quickload fast enough to make it worth it to keep saving and loading over and over.
Thats a lot of why its not fun. But if a section is really tough and you dont want to go back and get more ammo/try a different way or whatever its something that Ive done after getting annoyed. Not for a long time now though to an extreme.

We had the conversation somewhere before where some games use checkpoints to build tension. If you can just whack down a quick save every second then there arent any stakes. Balance has to be right and that can be tough. Again depends a lot on the type of game.

Most games don't let you experiment much on the spot I think, nor do they expect you to. But most deck-building games for example are build around the idea of trying different approaches for each problem.
I believe Brian Boru mentioned that he likes to quick save to test out weapons and different approaches in Far Cry. What I mean is that I rarely go back once Ive beaten a campaign, especially if its the exact same campaign again. Theres little to no interest in me for trying different builds in the same game. Ive played and beaten every From Souls game with a big 2 handed sword, barely even tried using magic, incantations, or even weapon arts.

Even in games that have saves I dont remember picking abilities and loading saves to try others. I just work with whatever the ability is and dont look back. Maybe I would respec if the option was there.

The only deck building game Ive played significantly is Slay the Spire, so I dont really know. I dont think STS works for experimenting, you just have to take the best options from what RNG offers.
I think a lot of turn-based games and especially puzzle games should have an (unlimited) undo button, that way you wouldn't have to redo the beginning if you make a mistake somewhere in the middle, nor do you have to remember to save frequently.
I'm not averse to quick saves or re-do being somehow worked into the lore like Into the Breach does, allowing you one time travel backwards per game. I dont love the puzzle box design of that game though either, where the order of operations has to be as close to perfect as possible because everything the AI does is 100% predictable.

I failed. My car company had to be saved by the government in Production Line.

The problem was that I put the chassis assembly in backwards. It had to be destroyed and rebuilt, but I didn't have enough money to rebuild it. so I had 90 percent of a production line that was costing me money and not producing vehicles. I was looking for the bank button to take out a loan when we hit $0. Oh well. Was my first try. Now I know how to set things up in the right direction at least.

I also prefer tactics games which support an ironman mode over redoing the same mission over and over until I win. Which is why I bounced off of XCOM: Chimera Squad.

In games where wins are mandatory, I prefer being able to save and reload whenever I want over having to start from the very start of the mission every time I lose.

I find checkpoints a lot more bearable in action games than in turn-based games. In action games the action is the fun part of the game, so having to redo a section isn't too bad. In turn-based games however the fun part of the game is coming up with a tactic/strategy. Losing because you used the wrong tactic/strategy isn't too bad, but losing because you made a single mistake in the execution of your tactic/strategy sucks. Redoing the entire mission exactly step by step until you get to the point where you made the mistake is painful.

Playing System Shock Remake and I'm actually really liking the mechanic in that... Series? At any rate, I'm still very much in a Quick Save constantly mentality, but I like that I just die and go back to wherever on the level to be resurrected and things are as they were when I died.

I love Im Sims, but generally get obsessed with playing them perfectly and do the Quick Save/Load, which often kills my enjoyment and makes me not want to play. Granted, it's my own problem to overcome, but still. Somehow though, I never felt that when I was younger and playing Deus Ex, it's only as I've gotten older, but that might also have something to do with the general philosophy of Arkane games, where killing people gives you the bad ending, rather than just being part of your own story.

Speaking of, I need to try Redfall.

You prefer Easter Bunny vomit? Can we get some other opinions on this? I think this falls into the category of an opinion that is simply incorrect.

@Brian Boru make a decision here. Don't waffle. :)

I like both?

If I had to choose though, I'd probably pick Stardew. But neither game is for me anyway.

I love Im Sims, but generally get obsessed with playing them perfectly and do the Quick Save/Load, which often kills my enjoyment and makes me not want to play. Granted, it's my own problem to overcome, but still. Somehow though, I never felt that when I was younger and playing Deus Ex, it's only as I've gotten older, but that might also have something to do with the general philosophy of Arkane games, where killing people gives you the bad ending, rather than just being part of your own story.

Did you play Deathloop? It's a roguelike so dying is part of the game.

Did you play Deathloop? It's a roguelike so dying is part of the game.
Deathloop, that's it. I said Redfall in my other post, but that's definitely not what I was thinking so.

I own it (don't recall buying it though) and was thinking I need to try it. The reason I never got around to it was because I didn't much like Mooncrash for Prey. Seemed like I should, but I found something a little off putting about it and I'm not sure what. Maybe the feeling that I'm still just doing the same thing over and over, rather than exploring something new?

That said, I do want to try Deathloop now.

Deathloop, that's it. I said Redfall in my other post, but that's definitely not what I was thinking so.

I own it (don't recall buying it though) and was thinking I need to try it. The reason I never got around to it was because I didn't much like Mooncrash for Prey. Seemed like I should, but I found something a little off putting about it and I'm not sure what. Maybe the feeling that I'm still just doing the same thing over and over, rather than exploring something new?

That said, I do want to try Deathloop now.

Okay, so I was in a similar situation to you. Loved Prey, disliked Mooncrash, passed on Deathloop originally because of that. After launch, the devs added a whole host of options to Deathloop to make it able to be played as a more traditional imsim instead of a harsh action roguelike like Mooncrash. You can give yourself infinite rewinds upon death. You can make all enemies one-shots. You can even play the entire game at 75% or 50% speed! When I played it earlier this year I enjoyed it—not as much as Dishonored or Prey, but it was good.

Just spotted The Tenants on sale for $8 over at GOG and picked it up. I've been wanting to try it for a while, but I'm still trying to explore Sun Haven so we'll see who wins the Attention Span Standoff.

And the winner is.....Fields of Mistria, an early access SDV-like game which has the charm of the original but with some better mechanics. Bought it last night and played it until past midnight.

No offence intended honestly, but this makes me wonder. If you had to do the same thing again over 4 times, why were you doing the same things?

:D

I don't remember what I did, but I did win eventually, so I ended up doing something right.

I believe Brian Boru mentioned that he likes to quick save to test out weapons and different approaches in Far Cry. What I mean is that I rarely go back once Ive beaten a campaign, especially if its the exact same campaign again. Theres little to no interest in me for trying different builds in the same game. Ive played and beaten every From Souls game with a big 2 handed sword, barely even tried using magic, incantations, or even weapon arts.

Even in games that have saves I dont remember picking abilities and loading saves to try others. I just work with whatever the ability is and dont look back. Maybe I would respec if the option was there.

I am the same way in most games. A different build usually isn't different enough to make me want to repeat the rest of the game again.

The only deck building game Ive played significantly is Slay the Spire, so I dont really know. I dont think STS works for experimenting, you just have to take the best options from what RNG offers.

StS indeed doesn't really let you experiment much. There are different builds, but you're too restricted by the RNG to properly experiment.

I'm not averse to quick saves or re-do being somehow worked into the lore like Into the Breach does, allowing you one time travel backwards per game. I dont love the puzzle box design of that game though either, where the order of operations has to be as close to perfect as possible because everything the AI does is 100% predictable.

I typically don't like puzzle box design either, which is why, if I do play a game like that, I want it to be as painless as possible to make mistakes.

Playing System Shock Remake and I'm actually really liking the mechanic in that... Series? At any rate, I'm still very much in a Quick Save constantly mentality, but I like that I just die and go back to wherever on the level to be resurrected and things are as they were when I died.

Speaking of, I need to try Redfall.

It's definitely possible to ruin a game for yourself by setting too high standards for yourself, which is harder to break out of if you can keep quicksaving and quickloading whenever you want.

First I learned that women hate exercising. I'm playing Gym Simulator. Every time someone had an unhappy emoji over their head, it was a woman. Meanwhile, the guys were almost all happy.

Then I realized what was going on. The guys with the hearts over their heads weren't happy. They were looking for love, and that's what was making the women unhappy.

So I had noticed before that you could hire security. So I hired a guy who showed up in a suit with dark sunglasses. Next thing I know I hear a "SMACK" and some guy yells and runs from the gym holding his nose. At least once a minute, the security guy runs out and punches some dude. The women are now happy. :LOL:

I don't remember what I did, but I did win eventually, so I ended up doing something right.

I typically don't like puzzle box design either, which is why, if I do play a game like that, I want it to be as painless as possible to make mistakes.
Was only playing.

Tempted to give Chimera Squad another go, see how I feel about it now.

Speaking of starting things again, I started the Cathay campaign in TW Warhammer 3 again because I did so much wrong the first time I thought it would be a good idea to get ahead more quickly. Then realized I couldnt be bothered to go through the gates and do the quest missions. So I started a Beastman campaign in Immortal Empires. Havent spent too much time with a Horde faction and its fun a few hours in. Battles are still easily my favourite part of the game, really satisfying laying down spells and getting into the opponents archers. Played Cathay much more defensive because its easy to get the enemy AI to come at you when you have artillery, Beastmen are way more in the enemies face.

Beat a couple more Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree bosses too, one semi secret one and the penultimate one on the main quest path. Went down more easily than some of the earlier ones, so might have just got lucky as I havent levelled up much more.

I started a solo playthrough of Baldur's Gate 3. I decided to play as The Dark Urge, since I already have a regular game going with my wife and I also want to see what it looks like to do an evil playthrough.

I kept my character as a Dragonborn, since they just look really cool, though I made mine green because it's my favourite colour. I also changed the class to Druid because I think it's better at staying alive than the default sorcerer, while still being a full spellcaster.

Mods, please ban these two tasteless nitwits

Only 2? Maaan, you need to read more posts…

wonders where here is

Upside-down.

rolls 20 sided dice... damn, 22 again. How does that happen

It's a Catch.

Brian Boru mentioned that he likes to quick save to test out weapons and different approaches in Far Cry

I would like that, but FC doesn't have a Save system. Playing FC6 last night, I came across an AA site I'd cleared the previous day, still fully intact. No problem, whack it again, and collect the 'valuable' Depleted Uranium only found at AA sites… except, the DU box was already open and empty.

So one half of the game says 'You did this' and the other half says 'You didn't' o_O
Par for the course tho, FC saves have always sucked ever since FC3, a 'benefit' of becoming consolized. FC6 is worse than usual tho—usually it's enough to fast travel to a safe house to 'lock in' your progress, but neither that nor your next spawn point is a sure thing in FC6.

I put the chassis assembly in backwards

Building like you drive, huh?

I need to try Redfall

Get on sale only—the hugely negative Steam rating isn't lying. It was touted as Far Cry with vampires, so I gave it a shot and didn't put up with it for long.

And the winner is.....Fields of Mistria, an early access SDV-like game which has the charm of the original but with some better mechanics. Bought it last night and played it until past midnight.
I have The Tenants. I had fun with it for a few hours. but haven't managed to get back to it yet.

Playing some Factorio with Guido. Even though I shoot for 100 percent efficiency in Satisfactory. I don't care in the least about it in Factorio. I just comfortably overshoot everything. I think part of it is because resource nodes keep running out. Nothing feels permanent.

A different build usually isn't different enough to make me want to repeat the rest of the game again.
On this topic, may I recommend Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark to y'all? It has a very clever system whereby when you level up a character after several levels you level it up *into a new class*. So you get to play with loads of different builds and combos all within one playthrough. Very satisfying, and the game is beautiful and well-made.

Tempted to give Chimera Squad another go, see how I feel about it now.
Did you play their Marvel's Midnight Suns? It has a similar feel of starting each battle in medias res, and of having pre-defined characters with their own plots.

Speaking of starting things again, I started the Cathay campaign in TW Warhammer 3 again because I did so much wrong the first time I thought it would be a good idea to get ahead more quickly. Then realized I couldnt be bothered to go through the gates and do the quest missions. So I started a Beastman campaign in Immortal Empires. Havent spent too much time with a Horde faction and its fun a few hours in. Battles are still easily my favourite part of the game, really satisfying laying down spells and getting into the opponents archers. Played Cathay much more defensive because its easy to get the enemy AI to come at you when you have artillery, Beastmen are way more in the enemies face.
Cathay was designed as the perfect first faction for players who want to play the classic “noob box”. Beastmen are a great pick for you if you like the battles best, as those horde factions spend nearly all their time on the battlemap. You could also try Nakai the Wanderer, Warriors of Chaos, Vampirates, or Wood Elves, all of whom are at least horde-ish.

Get [Redfall] sale only—the hugely negative Steam rating isn't lying.
I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting patiently for Redfall to be given away for free on Epic or Prime like all of Zenimax's other games are. But if anyone really wants to give Microsoft money as a reward for killing Arkane Austin, it's 50% off rn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts