August 2024 PC Gaming General Discussion Thread

Page 7 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Why, you need to get sick again :unsure:
Actually, I'm tired of all my talk. I was going to upload it so everyone could see what I've been talking about with Guido. Maybe you wouldn't be all that impressed, and the only reason I think he's so good is because I'm so bad. Who knows?

It does make me nauseous to watch it, though. He constantly scans the world by sweeping his mouse left and right. It moves too fast for me to make anything out, and just feels like the screen is spinning. Somehow he adjusts his running with keyboard presses so that he isn't zig zagging everywhere. It's something he spent time practicing.

Last edited:
I was playing BG3 today (my first tactician run) and noticed that my fans where making a lot of noise. I turned down the graphics from ultra to high and it got a little better, but still not perfect. Then I played for a couple of hours and when I closed the game I noticed that the PUBG game was still running on Steam🤦‍♂️

How does Tactician compare to the norm difficulty for you?

I decided to just start on Tactician and so far it isn't too bad as long as I can prevent getting overwhelmed by too many enemies at once. Which does mean I sneak almost everywhere.

Actually, I'm tired of all my talk. I was going to upload it so everyone could see what I've been talking about with Guido. Maybe you wouldn't be all that impressed, and the only reason I think he's so good is because I'm so bad. Who knows?

It does make me nauseous to watch it, though. He constantly scans the world by sweeping his mouse left and right. It moves too fast for me to make anything out, and just feels like the screen is spinning. Somehow he adjusts his running with keyboard presses so that he isn't zig zagging everywhere. It's something he spent time practicing.

I can't say I'm not curious to see Guido in action.

How does Tactician compare to the norm difficulty for you?

I decided to just start on Tactician and so far it isn't too bad as long as I can prevent getting overwhelmed by too many enemies at once. Which does mean I sneak almost everywhere.
I don't see much difference as of yet (one bandit in the Crypt threw a nade though), but I have just gotten to the Emerald Groove. I don't like that the camp supplies cost now 80 up from 40. The reason for that is that in my first play, I had so much food I could bathe in it and I don't see that they have changed anything when it comes to drops (just vendor prices) meaning that you'll get just as much anyway. I could also be terribly wrong:sweatsmile:

I saw that already. It looked boring... maybe making habitats for animals doesn't stimulate me as much.
I tried it, I was right... its boring. The biggest challenge is putting right things next to each other as some plants look the same until you place them. Lucky there is an undo but only for last move.

I am sure there are bigger challenges like working out how the underwater version works. I think I need to see someone play that to grasp it.

Biggest challenge to the finding someone is most of the reviewers who are playing this are too nice... I can't stand people who are nice all the time... it gets on my nerves... that and people who talk to audiences. I tend to avoid some channels, and alas, they only people playing this game.

Maybe I need a better GPU, Surely I need 1000 fps
UI6KY3P.jpeg

maybe I turn frame gen off on it :D

I was hoping it wouldn't be boring. Sometimes I hate being right.

Last edited:
I persisted but it does get hard towards end as the puzzle is to try to put all your cards down and not get penalized by any still in hand. Best score so far only 650 and need 800 seemingly to get larger maps? Not sure. Could be, 1st difficulty is called small so maybe.

Could be you get more expansions to map in later, or more diversity of flora and fauna. I would watch someone but it was that action that made me play again. Watching someone learn game is annoying, prefer to watch people who know what they are doing.

I prefer terrascape if only cause there are combo buildings. Making forests bigger just doesn't have same , the amount of time it took to get me bored with game was faster with this one.

Apparently Microsoft is working on CoPilot's engagement numbers. Now every answer it gives ends in a question. I guess they are hoping you'll feel compelled to respond. Then you get more information and another question. Wonder if there is any end to it? I'm not going to test that.

Maybe they've been inputting YouTube videos into the algorithm. What do you think? Has Microsoft been inputting YouTube videos into the algorithm? Let me know in the comments below and if you enjoyed this comment then don't forget to like and subscribe.

Maybe they've been inputting YouTube videos into the algorithm. What do you think? Has Microsoft been inputting YouTube videos into the algorithm? Let me know in the comments below and if you enjoyed this comment then don't forget to like and subscribe.
You know how many posts are made here with those lines in them?
You lucky I know you :)

Maybe too many ignoring Co Pilot still and they need the few that do, to fill in all the gaps for them.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I was going to give Forbidden West a rest and play something short between the main game and the DLC. I'm glad I didn't. The first battle in the DLC is easy, but the second one I ran into was as hard as a final boss fight.
I was playing BG3 today (my first tactician run) and noticed that my fans where making a lot of noise.
When I first read this, I thought you were live streaming and your followers were commenting!

I'm genuinely surprised that knowing me counted in my favour

Btw you forgot to like and subscribe
Most users who say those words don't survive to post much longer... you might see some but most don't last long.

Its good I recognize you as reversing some bans is difficult. I mean, retrieving all your posts again... you don't have that many but its still something we try to avoid. Its work... we not paid enough to do that :D

We generally don't try to ban regulars unless you go mad... it happens.

I did subscribe, I saw reply :p

I can't stand people who are nice all the time

What a horrible thing to say—no wonder they booted you up to mod.

Now every answer it gives ends in a question

Hey don't knock the Scientific Method.

I'm genuinely surprised that knowing me counted in my favour

He's upside-down.

We generally don't try to ban regulars unless you go mad

Not even then at times—Exhibit A, current members…

I got a playtest invite for Deadlock, Valve’s new hero shooter that they still haven’t acknowledged exists, and played a few matches over the weekend. It’s quite tongue-in-cheek when the first thing you see isn’t an NDA agreement, but rather a message that just says “don’t share anything with anyone about this game”. Not sure what will happen if I go into full depth about what I experienced, so I won’t say much beyond what is already available to read online.

It’s a third person hero shooter, easiest to describe as a mix between Overwatch and DOTA. Gameplay wise it feels very fluid, with lots of nice hero variation to allow many different playstyles. The character designs are so awesome and have lots of unique character designs. I’m getting that feeling of witnessing a brand new Valve game come to life and it’s so exciting to me even if I don’t think I’ll be huge on this game in the future. It has the potential to be a very great game, not sure if it will reach the same esports heights as DOTA or Counterstrike, but I’m just not much of a MOBA player myself. It’s really just the fact that this is a brand new Valve game that has me excited.

I was also gifted Drug Dealer Simulator from a friend and I felt obligated to play it. I will say… the gameplay loop is actually quite addicting (pun fully intended). I was expecting a cheaply made abandonware kind of game, but admittedly it is actually quite well made, even if it is kind of an Unreal Engine asset flip in many ways. There seems to be a lot of depth in this game, although you do have to grind quite a lot to get to the bigger features later on. You spend your time buying large quantities of the drugs, bring it back to your apartment, take orders from your laptop, package the smaller portions, then go and deliver them. Along the way you have to watch out for police roaming around, who seem to get harder with each passing day. There are certain areas you have to go through a police checkpoint to pass, so either you have to find an alternate path, or throw your backpack over the fence, go through the checkpoint, then retrieve your backpack.

Honestly, I played about 5 hours over the weekend and had fun. It is very grindy and I don’t know if I really have it in me to continue because the game does seem to keep getting more complicated with all the different features there are, but I can’t lie and say I didn’t have some sort of fun with it. The dialogues suck though, they try to make it seem so edgy and “badass”, which I don’t think serves it well. If you’ve watched drug-centric shows/movies such as The Wire, people there talk a lot more realistically and don’t try too hard to be edgy. My only explanation is that this game has a lot of eurojank qualities to it.

One thing I found very strange that I just chalked up to being eurojank is the frequent use of the word “Pathology”. It’s spray painted on a lot of walls, the narrator mentioned something about it, and sometimes when police search you, they let you go and say “fuckin’ patho”. Patho? I have never heard anyone in America use that word, and I am unsure of the context it’s used in this game. It’s like the game wants to have some sort of philosophical side to the story or whatever. Simply put, pathology is the study of diseases, maybe what the game is saying is being addicted to drugs is a disease, so you are a pathological person studying the effects it has on people? I seriously have no idea, it’s so strange and the game keeps mentioning it like it’s something Americans talk about frequently. Do Polish people talk about pathology and call people patho’s often? Anyways, weird but kind of fun game, wouldn’t recommend anyone actually spend money on it unless it’s deeply discounted.

I got a playtest invite for Deadlock, Valve’s new hero shooter that they still haven’t acknowledged exists, and played a few matches over the weekend. It’s quite tongue-in-cheek when the first thing you see isn’t an NDA agreement, but rather a message that just says “don’t share anything with anyone about this game”. Not sure what will happen if I go into full depth about what I experienced, so I won’t say much beyond what is already available to read online.

It’s a third person hero shooter, easiest to describe as a mix between Overwatch and DOTA. Gameplay wise it feels very fluid, with lots of nice hero variation to allow many different playstyles. The character designs are so awesome and have lots of unique character designs. I’m getting that feeling of witnessing a brand new Valve game come to life and it’s so exciting to me even if I don’t think I’ll be huge on this game in the future. It has the potential to be a very great game, not sure if it will reach the same esports heights as DOTA or Counterstrike, but I’m just not much of a MOBA player myself. It’s really just the fact that this is a brand new Valve game that has me excited.

I do wish they were doing something other than a Hero Shooter. Seems like Valve keeps trying to jump on this multiplayer bandwagon after having some success with DOTA 2 and none of it ever goes anywhere. Well, ok, maybe it was only Artifact, but still.

I was also gifted Drug Dealer Simulator from a friend and I felt obligated to play it. I will say… the gameplay loop is actually quite addicting (pun fully intended). I was expecting a cheaply made abandonware kind of game, but admittedly it is actually quite well made, even if it is kind of an Unreal Engine asset flip in many ways. There seems to be a lot of depth in this game, although you do have to grind quite a lot to get to the bigger features later on. You spend your time buying large quantities of the drugs, bring it back to your apartment, take orders from your laptop, package the smaller portions, then go and deliver them. Along the way you have to watch out for police roaming around, who seem to get harder with each passing day. There are certain areas you have to go through a police checkpoint to pass, so either you have to find an alternate path, or throw your backpack over the fence, go through the checkpoint, then retrieve your backpack.

Honestly, I played about 5 hours over the weekend and had fun. It is very grindy and I don’t know if I really have it in me to continue because the game does seem to keep getting more complicated with all the different features there are, but I can’t lie and say I didn’t have some sort of fun with it. The dialogues suck though, they try to make it seem so edgy and “badass”, which I don’t think serves it well. If you’ve watched drug-centric shows/movies such as The Wire, people there talk a lot more realistically and don’t try too hard to be edgy. My only explanation is that this game has a lot of eurojank qualities to it.

One thing I found very strange that I just chalked up to being eurojank is the frequent use of the word “Pathology”. It’s spray painted on a lot of walls, the narrator mentioned something about it, and sometimes when police search you, they let you go and say “fuckin’ patho”. Patho? I have never heard anyone in America use that word, and I am unsure of the context it’s used in this game. It’s like the game wants to have some sort of philosophical side to the story or whatever. Simply put, pathology is the study of diseases, maybe what the game is saying is being addicted to drugs is a disease, so you are a pathological person studying the effects it has on people? I seriously have no idea, it’s so strange and the game keeps mentioning it like it’s something Americans talk about frequently. Do Polish people talk about pathology and call people patho’s often? Anyways, weird but kind of fun game, wouldn’t recommend anyone actually spend money on it unless it’s deeply discounted.

Is it anything like the drug dealing minigame in GTA: Chinatown Wars? That was pretty good.

I'm approaching the end of the System Shock Remake; glad it finally wormed its way into my brain after two separate tries, accounting for 13-hours of playtime. I really didn't like it the last couple of times I tried it out and kept feeling something wasn't quite right, but it nestled itself in the back of my brain, me still thinking I wanted to give it another go. I do think the last time I tried to play it was simply the fact that I was trying to play on my Steam Deck, which is always a mistake for an FPS-style game; even now, trying to play it here and there on my Deck, I forget how frustrated I get with trying to play with a controller.

My only issue now is what to play next. I was thinking about giving Dishonored another go, but playing another Im Sim is probably a mistake, though I do want to try Deathloop.

In other news, yesterday I ended-up with a lot of time to myself, which was wondrous. I played a bit of System Shock, painted an entire tank and more related, drilled a hole in the wall of my office over to our laundry room where we have the space to do VR. This means I was able to run my 20ft Oculus Link cable through the wall and plug it directly into my computer, so I finally got to experience Half-Life: Alyx for the first time.

Amusingly, it made my wife a bit nauseous, even though I was the one playing. She sat next to me and watched via a stream. We really only played for 35 minutes or so, but it was very impressive; all the little details in it are just wonderful and it all just works so well. I'm not sure what else I can say that you probably haven't already heard, but it's just damned neat and I'm excited to play some more of it. I did end-up actually using the standard controller method of pushing the stick to move, as I find/found the blink/jump movement to be completely disorienting. It doesn't make me sick to move in the standard method, but it does make me a little dizzy, especially after the headset is off.

Thought about editing my last post, but it's long enough and we all know I'm a big windbag, so I figured I'd just make a new one.

I already had to stop playing Minecraft with my kids; it's fun, I enjoy it and it's been an exercise in meeting them at their level, because they really love Creative or to give themselves the best stuff in Creative and then switch to Survival and go kill things. Normally I like the slow build in Survival, but I figured I'd challenge myself and play how they like to play, which has been fun.

The problem is that I can no longer meet them where they are, because every time they play, they start a new world, abandoning the old one and then doing the exact same thing on repeat. I have the chance to play with them for maybe 30 minutes to an hour when I can, but I'd like to continue working on the thing we were already working on or doing the thing we had previously been doing.

Having to start from scratch each time is an exercise in tedium for me and I just can't do it anymore. Hopefully when they're a bit older they'll have more stick-to-itiveness (I'm amazed this is an actual word and not a colloquialism) and we can play a persistent world. I know my brother in law pays for a server for him and his kids to play on, but they're also, at a minimum, 6-years older than my kids.

I do wish they were doing something other than a Hero Shooter. Seems like Valve keeps trying to jump on this multiplayer bandwagon after having some success with DOTA 2 and none of it ever goes anywhere. Well, ok, maybe it was only Artifact, but still.
I get what you mean and I agree. I’d much rather see Valve return to single player games. It doesn’t need to be HL2 Episode 3/HL3, or Portal 3 or anything. An original IP would still be awesome to see. HL Alyx was of course single player but VR only, I know there is a flatscreen mod for it but it kind of gets rid of the point of the game. Counterstrike and Dota have been their big money makers in terms of games, so to make another game in a similar vein is not what I really want. But on the other hand, it’s still exciting to see a brand new IP from one of my favorite game companies ever.

I never played Chinatown Wars so I’m unsure how that minigame works. In DDS, you can portion the drugs and even mix them, but I haven’t gotten that far to start mixing stuff together. It feels so silly playing a game about being a literal dealer but it’s stupid fun, especially since I got it free. If it ever goes on sale for around $5 I would recommend it for people who want a stupid little first person game.

"Escape from School"

"Only the smartest people will be able to beat this hundred doors challenge."

No reason to post the link to this game here.

I thought you were talking about the Flash game, but apparently there's an entire series of escape room games called 100 doors. They all look like those fake mobile ads though.

Have you ever played The Mystery of Time and Space (MOTAS)?

I thought you were talking about the Flash game, but apparently there's an entire series of escape room games called 100 doors. They all look like those fake mobile ads though.

Have you ever played The Mystery of Time and Space (MOTAS)?
Haven't played that. The only thing that caught my attention with the 100 doors game (other than trying to make a joke about the intelligence of people here) is that it reminded me of this book: https://www.amazon.com/Maze-Solve-Worlds-Challenging-Puzzle/dp/0030045894

Can't tell you how much time I spent solving that book during my teen years. I was obsessed with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts