August 2024 PC Gaming General Discussion Thread

Page 6 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
On this topic, may I recommend Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark to y'all? It has a very clever system whereby when you level up a character after several levels you level it up *into a new class*. So you get to play with loads of different builds and combos all within one playthrough. Very satisfying, and the game is beautiful and well-made.

Looks interesting, I've wishlisted it. It reminds me a lot of Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Cathay was designed as the perfect first faction for players who want to play the classic “noob box”. Beastmen are a great pick for you if you like the battles best, as those horde factions spend nearly all their time on the battlemap. You could also try Nakai the Wanderer, Warriors of Chaos, Vampirates, or Wood Elves, all of whom are at least horde-ish.

I personally really enjoyed Vampire Coast because you can play an entire campaign without capturing cities. The empire management is probably my least favourite part of the game, especially once your empire gets big. Plus once your empire reaches a certain size it becomes impossible to defend it properly, so you often have to run back and forth to kick out enemy armies who are trying to capture or raid your settlements.

Did you play their Marvel's Midnight Suns? It has a similar feel of starting each battle in medias res, and of having pre-defined characters with their own plots.
I got it free on Epic when it was available but I havent tried it yet. Installing it now in case the mood takes me.
Cathay was designed as the perfect first faction for players who want to play the classic “noob box”.
I'm putting that in the Great book of Grudges. ;)

Beastmen are a great pick for you if you like the battles best, as those horde factions spend nearly all their time on the battlemap. You could also try Nakai the Wanderer, Warriors of Chaos, Vampirates, or Wood Elves, all of whom are at least horde-ish.
Thanks, Ive played a bit of the Chaos and Wood Elf campaigns in the first game and I loved playing Chaos in quick battles back then. Theres so many options to try I just went with Beastmen because they were first on the list to save the choice paralysis. Seems fun so far, good to know theres other hordey options to look at.

I really enjoy playing the Chaos lords. or whatever they are called. They have a unique recruitment and upgrade system. and most of the cities that you take over you just give to your vassals.

A gym opened up down the street. and I noticed it had a health bar. so I started throwing rocks at the windows. spreading trash around. and getting into physical confrontations with their customers. I've got it down to about 1/3 health. I'm a big believer in ethical business practices.

Played some of the new DOOM 1 + 2 “remaster” update last night. Absolutely awesome and brings all those original games to modern standards. I posted my full thoughts in the Retro FPS Thread.

Apart from that, I haven’t played much games this week. Taking a slight break, but also not very sure what to play next. I started a few games over the past couple of weeks but nothing has stuck with me. After dying in DayZ with my 10 hour character, I decided that is enough for a while. Gloomwood is great but I don’t want to rush it, plus I really want the game to be finished before I fully play through it. S&box is a cool little thing but way too early to put any substantial time into it unless you’re a mod creator.

I tried to heck out Once Human but ran into a bug I haven’t attempted to fix yet. I may do so this weekend, seems like a fun time waster.

I continued my Baldur's Gate 3 game as The Dark Urge. It's a very addictive game, I almost forgot about eating dinner and I ended up playing until 2:30 AM.

So far I had mostly managed to stay out of trouble, until I accidentally declared war on an entire goblin village. I was able to run away with my three companions, but my own character got stuck in a dead end. I tried using a potion that gave me triple jump strength, but it wasn't enough to jump up the cliff and when I tried running past the goblins I got critted twice and died.

Then I tried turning into a badger, which just allowed me to burrow onto the cliff, where the goblins couldn't get to me, after which I could kill the three that had cornered me at the dead end and subsequently escape to camp.

I have somehow managed to lose my video of Guido playing RE8 on highest difficulty. I had only watched it once because it's the only video I've ever seen that causes me to have motion sickness, which is why I never uploaded it. If it makes me sick, it probably would make others sick as well. I can't even remember what computer I had at the time. I think it was my Sager. I know where one copy is. It's on my backup drive that failed. Anyway, this is causing me significant stress this morning. Maybe I can get him to play it again.

I ended up playing until 2:30 AM.

So after I quit the game, I figured I'd take my dog for a walk before going to bed. After I walked my dog, I figured I could play a little bit more, just finishing up the goblin camp.

I played until my wife woke up and asked if I had been playing throughout the night, at which point I learned it was already after 6...

I'm too old to do stuff like this.

It's on my backup drive that failed

With your background, you of course know there are places which might be able to recover the data—but quite expensive.

Maybe I can get him to play it again

Why, you need to get sick again :unsure:

sex. Sadly it was in Gym Simulator

Isn't the first time the bench presses and the forearm curls have worked their magic…

Any good AAA games this year?

So far, Homeworld 3 seems to qualify as 'good', not 'great'.

For rest of year, who knows what state these will release in:
Assassin's Creed Shadows
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl

If AA is of interest, World of Goo 2 has been well received, and Frostpunk 2 is on the way.

Source:

wonder what AAA companies doing this year

if I recall correctly, last year was a bumper year after the Covid delay. 2024 is probably only the first full year of dev for a lot of AAAs in the works now—sort of starting a new dev cycle, if you like.

I just heard something on my roof

Santa's new hires practicing.

Are there any rules we should be aware of?
No rules, but we would appreciate if you would make a large bet in lieu of an entry fee.

I was playing BG3 today (my first tactician run) and noticed that my fans where making a lot of noise. I turned down the graphics from ultra to high and it got a little better, but still not perfect. Then I played for a couple of hours and when I closed the game I noticed that the PUBG game was still running on Steam🤦‍♂️

I was intentionally playing two games the other day. Was playing Total War and when Guido was taking his turn, I was playing Emberward.

Last edited:
Factorio can be pretty in its own way.
full

That's a small section of a much larger research area. I had to heavily crop the picture to keep all the UI out of it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts