September 2024 General Game Discussion Thread

Page 5 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
you actually wanted games that are nothing like FC

Oh dear, that's another quite intellectual leap :D

Here are some quotes from a different source to the 5 I posted earlier:

"spiritual successor to the original Far Cry game"

"Few other FPS capture this, and one that trumps Far Cry in this regard is the … series"

"Far Cry stands out because of this, and so does one other game"

"Looking at gameplay videos, you might easily mistake … for Far Cry with …"

"These games are a no-brainer for anyone fond of Far Cry's mechanics"

"game's updated visuals, enemy designs, environments, and weapons will feel akin to any Far Cry game"

"If you saw a snippet of … gameplay, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was Far Cry. This is because it looks and plays very similarly"

Hope that's enough, there are more in the 28 games they select.

Further sources you might find useful:

Of course I don't agree with every game these suggest, since as you rightly observe they are not…
EXACTLY like FC.:rolleyes:

So the last few days I've been playing Star Trucker. It's a great indie game and at the moment 10% off at £18.89 which imho is well worth it.

As a newly released game there are a few defects and if you find manoeuvring in 3d difficult then this won't be a game for you. There is however a great docking camera that looks like something straight out of real life and.

There currently is no key remapping but I used a profile on my G502 Hero mouse to remap accelerate/decelerate to my side mouse buttons which gives me much more control- especially when docking.

The graphics are really nice to look at and the soundtrack/radio is good, but way too short. I just turned the music off and searched for Trucking playlists on Spotify instead :)

The tutorial is not very good and it took me a while to realise that there are a lot of controls that are actual physical items inside your truck. There are also lots of systems that require power cells and ECC units and it takes a while to realise where each one goes.

I would definitely recommend playing a Custom game. This lets you set the rate at which Power Cells drain down. I first started a normal game and was finding it hard and annoying to have to keep replacing them so often - they aren't cheap when you first start the game.

It's worthwhile to follow the story till at least the next set of systems unlock. You can earn more money then by doing longer hauls and will have unlocked a few skill upgrades.

Still playing Forgive me Father we're just shy of the 5 hr mark and i've completed pretty much 3/4 of the game. its an odd duck tbh. On the one hand there is plenty of content, with lots of levels broken down into 4 episodes, but most of the levels are quite short. yet at the same time, it feels like it drags along,. i think the problem is the somewhat samey combat, typically shooting corridors followed by bigger rooms for some arena combat to make sure you're not falling asleep. Its kinda meant that i don't really play more then an hour at a time to keep things fresh.

Admittedly the different environments help, but spending episode 3 in the sewers, sterile labns and factories is kinda depressing.

So the last few days I've been playing Star Trucker. It's a great indie game and at the moment 10% off at £18.89 which imho is well worth it.

As a newly released game there are a few defects and if you find manoeuvring in 3d difficult then this won't be a game for you. There is however a great docking camera that looks like something straight out of real life and.

There currently is no key remapping but I used a profile on my G502 Hero mouse to remap accelerate/decelerate to my side mouse buttons which gives me much more control- especially when docking.

The graphics are really nice to look at and the soundtrack/radio is good, but way too short. I just turned the music off and searched for Trucking playlists on Spotify instead :)

The tutorial is not very good and it took me a while to realise that there are a lot of controls that are actual physical items inside your truck. There are also lots of systems that require power cells and ECC units and it takes a while to realise where each one goes.

I would definitely recommend playing a Custom game. This lets you set the rate at which Power Cells drain down. I first started a normal game and was finding it hard and annoying to have to keep replacing them so often - they aren't cheap when you first start the game.

It's worthwhile to follow the story till at least the next set of systems unlock. You can earn more money then by doing longer hauls and will have unlocked a few skill upgrades.

I played the demo and was pretty intrigued, but the reviews after release have kind of scared me off. Good to see someone enjoying it and I may pick it up when it drops a little lower in price.

Still playing Forgive me Father we're just shy of the 5 hr mark and i've completed pretty much 3/4 of the game. its an odd duck tbh. On the one hand there is plenty of content, with lots of levels broken down into 4 episodes, but most of the levels are quite short. yet at the same time, it feels like it drags along,. i think the problem is the somewhat samey combat, typically shooting corridors followed by bigger rooms for some arena combat to make sure you're not falling asleep. Its kinda meant that i don't really play more then an hour at a time to keep things fresh.

Admittedly the different environments help, but spending episode 3 in the sewers, sterile labns and factories is kinda depressing.

You put into words how I felt about that game. I only played about 45 minutes, so not much, but in that time it didn't really do much to grab me in and pull me in; everything felt pretty similar as I went along.

Further sources you might find useful:
A lot of the games listed on those articles really boiled down to just “it’s an open world action game with sandbox-y elements so it’s like Far Cry”. The first list said GTA V and Sleeping Dogs are like FC, when really the only similarities is what I said in quotations. I think FC has a very specific formula across its games, and I feel a lot of the games listed don’t necessarily follow the same or even similar style very much.

There were a few good recommendations across the articles, like the modern AC games, Just Cause 3+4, and MGS V to name a few. These games have a more familiar formula to FC where it is an open world action game, but the main gameplay loop being that there are enemy bases around the world you must overtake, with lots of side content peppered throughout the map. Just Cause 3+4 does this almost too similarly, because you are filling a regions meter with each enemy base taken to fight the region’s boss, but overall gameplay is different enough to justify playing those.

It all boils down to what "like" means for you. I'm in the camp with all those authors where it's the playing 'experience' which is the thing, rather than a narrower definition based on more specific similarities.

A lot of the games listed on those articles really boiled down to…

I can't agree with that, as the bits I quoted from just one article showed. I'm not going to revisit to pull out loads more quotes in the extra articles, but they are there—individual characteristics from each game which gel with some of FC's characteristics.

Some don't matter to me—like say the vehicular combat or handling—while others do, eg the amount of gameplay outside the main stories and quests. So your GTA example is valid for me, since I avoid vehicles as much as possible—a world must be interesting on foot for me, not something to be whizzed past.

Someone who spends 20-25 hours 'beating' the game isn't going to see many of the characteristics of a game—but they are there for those who want them.

Still playing FMF, i thought there was only 4 chapters, turns out there is a 5th one. its getting challenging, partly they're throwing more interesting arenas, other ways the enemies are just so bloody annoying. Those purple things just zip around back and forth and are horrifically accurate with projectiles. To make things worse there were smaller varianets which are even faster and throw twice as many projectiles. Annoying stuff and the devs know it. The fourth level boss (the glitch) is a souped up version of those purple things except even faster and spawn copies of itself to really piss you off. The best way to beat them i find is automatic weapons and/or slowmo. if you try to chase after them they'll either teleport away or kite you to death.

i decided to also mess around with Doom2 wads. this time i've dipped my toes into the Ultimate Doom Editor to try my hand at making a level. Still getting use to the various shortcuts and quirks with menus etc. i can make basic rooms and add janky stairs etc (there are ways to make stairs function). but so far, lets get the basics and then focus on the complex stuff later. its very much patience and practice before i submit or think about designing maps for consumption...

I've called in sick for the last two days and ended up playing a bunch of Vermintide 2, since I was too tired to play anything that requires any thinking.

I noticed I had some trouble finding games though, I had to switch between difficulty levels sometimes to be able to join someone. I wonder how much longer I'll be able to play with random people.

New Steam Families is so OP!

View: https://youtu.be/cwwAV4Y-NZs?t=10

Oh no, my main gaming library friend is moving to another country soon, I wonder if that means we won't be able to use his games any more.

I guess I'll need to finish Baldur's Gate 3 soon, as I'm currently borrowing that from him.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Looking over the FAQ, it sounds like they expect you to be part of the same household, not just country. If your son grows up and moves to his own house down the street, Steam will be looking to get him out of the family.

PC Gamer's article just tested between the UK and Spain and says that people in different "regions" will have issues. No idea what a region is. The way Steam was talking about it, though, I was thinking they would probably be looking at IP addresses pretty far down the traceroute.

@Pifanjr

Lego Batman is on sale on Steam for $2.99 (the whole trilogy is on sale for $4.99) and I noticed it said it had local (couch, split screen) co-op. Apparently one of you plays Batman and the other one Robin. I haven't played it, but being a Lego game, I can't imagine it's too difficult. Might be fun for you and the girl. If it doesn't work out, it was only $3 :)

No one in my immediate family even plays games. So its not something I have really looked at.
Mums pc would probably die installing steam. That and I can't remember her ever playing any games... dad did. She never got into them. Brother buys Apple stuff so doubt he uses steam. Or has time to play games.
My parents would play Atari with me. Other than that, Mom liked Solitaire quite a bit. Both my brothers play a little. Sister has never played a game that I'm aware of.

Here’s a weird one.

Obenseuer (open sewer) is a first person homeless/home renovation simulator with slight RPG elements. The main story is that the fictional Finnish town of Stalburg has been overrun with a viral green fungus that spews harmful, sometimes deadly spores into the air that has the ability to infect people. The town officials have closed off a district of the city known as Obenseuer to quarantine it, but there is a conspiracy that they are just sending the poor and diseased there to die.

You play as a character of your choosing. After choosing a name and some background details, there is a clerical error in which the city has given you full possession of a condemned apartment block. The mysterious people interviewing you don’t agree, but the system says it’s correct, so they task you with renovating the apartment block to make it habitable for the residents of Obenseuer. Places to live are very few and far between, and sleeping on the streets may result in you getting robbed or worse. It’s up to you to renovate and restore the apartment block to your liking, with the ability to decorate it extensively and charge tenants rent.

The game is best described as a homeless simulator with a renovation project, but with no funds to support it, so you have to come up with ways to make some money. Apparently the systems in those game go very deep. So far I’ve spent my days being addicted to psychoactive mushrooms and cigarettes, seemingly having IBS and needing to go to the toilet every 15 minutes, and looking for any bottles I can exchange. Exchanging bottles gives very little money, so there’s got to be another way.

I’ve played for 3 hours and most of my time has been spent just exploring and collecting as many bottles as possible. I’ve been talking to everyone I see too. The writing is great, it really nails the feeling of living in a government controlled quarantine zone where life is very uncertain. I haven’t started the renovation aspect yet, but looking forward to it.

The game is developed by Loiste Interactive, Finnish developers who also made the amazing INFRA, a first person dilapidated infrastructure exploration/puzzle game made in the Source engine. I’m a big fan of that game so I had to check this out since it’s currently on sale for $3.75. Apparently I played it before 5 years ago, but last year it underwent a massive overhaul that changed almost every aspect of the game. From what I remember, the apartment renovation was not a part of the original early access release. This new direction feels like there is more purpose to the game, while maintaining the gritty city feeling.

Very interesting game, definitely one to keep an eye on if you’re into strange first person simulation games.

Still same rotation here, Space Marine, Helldivers and Destiny for the last week (sorry diablo 4).

I have not continued Space Marines 2's campaign in favor of its pvp, specifically Annihilation (team deathmatch). Outside of wanting to finish the campaign when the game gets ultrawide support, Ive been sucked into this mode because i find that i am doin rather well in it, winning most of my games over the weekend and turning my (Vanguard) Space Marine into a certified badass:

K4IQNjL.jpg

Helldivers 2 have been releasing a patch-note-a-day type patch note update for their biggest update patch which is slated to drop tomorrow with a new "warbond" (cosmetics, guns, armor) slated for thursday. Im looking forward to it. Helldivers is a family affair around here and although we are working all week, we will definitely be dropping in and checking out the buffs.

Personally think its been too long and now im wondering if theres going to be a new laundry list of complaints but im personally waiting on fighting a new enemy, its time.

Destiny 2 is still around! They just dropped a new "quest" for their 10th-anniversary. (2014-2024) and it just seems like too little for such a big milestone imo (Just easily collect a set of armor and do activities with the armor or its "ornaments" equipped). You get a seal title to equip too (Legend) but, its just so lackluster an event imo but it isnt suprising given destinys news cycle since its last major expansion.

This game is in a rough spot. Ive pretty much played everything its had to offer. My opinions on it for another time.

Here’s a weird one.

Obenseuer (open sewer) is a first person homeless/home renovation simulator with slight RPG elements. The main story is that the fictional Finnish town of Stalburg has been overrun with a viral green fungus that spews harmful, sometimes deadly spores into the air that has the ability to infect people. The town officials have closed off a district of the city known as Obenseuer to quarantine it, but there is a conspiracy that they are just sending the poor and diseased there to die.

You play as a character of your choosing. After choosing a name and some background details, there is a clerical error in which the city has given you full possession of a condemned apartment block. The mysterious people interviewing you don’t agree, but the system says it’s correct, so they task you with renovating the apartment block to make it habitable for the residents of Obenseuer. Places to live are very few and far between, and sleeping on the streets may result in you getting robbed or worse. It’s up to you to renovate and restore the apartment block to your liking, with the ability to decorate it extensively and charge tenants rent.

The game is best described as a homeless simulator with a renovation project, but with no funds to support it, so you have to come up with ways to make some money. Apparently the systems in those game go very deep. So far I’ve spent my days being addicted to psychoactive mushrooms and cigarettes, seemingly having IBS and needing to go to the toilet every 15 minutes, and looking for any bottles I can exchange. Exchanging bottles gives very little money, so there’s got to be another way.

I’ve played for 3 hours and most of my time has been spent just exploring and collecting as many bottles as possible. I’ve been talking to everyone I see too. The writing is great, it really nails the feeling of living in a government controlled quarantine zone where life is very uncertain. I haven’t started the renovation aspect yet, but looking forward to it.

The game is developed by Loiste Interactive, Finnish developers who also made the amazing INFRA, a first person dilapidated infrastructure exploration/puzzle game made in the Source engine. I’m a big fan of that game so I had to check this out since it’s currently on sale for $3.75. Apparently I played it before 5 years ago, but last year it underwent a massive overhaul that changed almost every aspect of the game. From what I remember, the apartment renovation was not a part of the original early access release. This new direction feels like there is more purpose to the game, while maintaining the gritty city feeling.

Very interesting game, definitely one to keep an eye on if you’re into strange first person simulation games.
You had me at "Here's a weird one". Installing it now.

You had me at "Here's a weird one". Installing it now.
Hope you enjoy it. It seems very well made, apart from a few performance issues. Lots of love and care went into it and it clearly shows. Reading their dev blog, looks like they are creating a ton of new content right now.

I also recommend checking out INFRA if exploring abandoned dam stations and underground service tunnels is your jam. No action or horror, just an unsettling atmosphere and puzzles to solve.

Every man has 2 wolves inside of him, one of them says 'Buy Tactical Breach Wizards, people say its kind of similar to Xcom Chimera Squad except the story and characters are actually fun'. The other says 'Dont buy it, people say its a puzzle tactics game like Into the Breach, and you didnt really enjoy it very much'.

Pillars of Eternity 2 its good. The world map is huge and satisfying to uncover, and the political situation with the 4 factions is really going to cause some interesting choices. Plenty of combat abilities for each character, although its a little easy on normal so far. It pretty overwhelming with the amount of quests and locations, have to try and reign in any completionist urges here to see the end of the story. Getting the urge to play something different after 30 hours though, hence the wolves.

since finishing Forgive me father i'm a bit stuck as to what to play. I do want to play some halloween game in october but not sure what and i do want to play yakuza 4 soon (its a yearly tradition i sort of play yakuza game late autumn/christmas it seems). So i decided to compromise: i'll play a halloween game now and play yakuza afterwards. i'll finish it probably by novemberish.

Now what halloween game? i do have demon's tilt installed and played a bit of that, but frankly that doesn't count. no we need more monsters, more meat and substance. What better way to celebrate halloween then costume quest 2. A game set in halloween, is an RPG and has monsters. it will probably take me 2 weeks to beat. Probably.

incidentally, speaking of demons tilt, is that a good pinball table? i have fun playing it, but i don't know enough about pinball tables to decide if that is a good pinball table. Was the terminator 2 or Indiana jones pinball tables good? the latter had a pistol for the plunger.

Every man has 2 wolves inside of him, one of them says 'Buy Tactical Breach Wizards, people say its kind of similar to Xcom Chimera Squad except the story and characters are actually fun'. The other says 'Dont buy it, people say its a puzzle tactics game like Into the Breach, and you didnt really enjoy it very much'.
Xcom Chimera Squad was a puzzle tactics game.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts