September 2024 General Game Discussion Thread

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I've now played the opening scene of Forever Skies 5 times. It's at this point I'm supposed to take off in my airship and explore while eating and drinking at a pace that would soon get me on "The 600 pound man" show on TLC.

And I think, I'm going to save. I'll play some more later. But that's a lie. The only way I'm going to be able to play this is with WeMod and turning off eating and drinking. Might be worth a try.

I'm regretting my pre-purchase of Space Marine 2. Mainly, I have not had the time to play it like i had hoped. Stuff comes up out of nowhere and such is life.

As much as i like the game and it looks gorgeous and runs great and all that, its just not as fun as a single-player experience. Noone in my household likes the game so there goes that, servers were crappy at connecting me when i tried to play coop. Ik, EA is like that but this is the first EA game ive made a purchase of where i couldnt play with anyone period, not that i havent had bad experiences, which i most certainly have lol, but i could not at all connect with someone. Just would not launch and i didnt have all the time in the world either. So SP it was.

The game tells you its better to play the game first before doing coop missions but the game itself (esp. at higher difficulties) is not set up for a SP imo. It gets annoying to have to fend off a horde on you while trying to parry while trying to dodge etc. on top of having a mid AI system that doesnt really help. Im movingthrough it on veteran in the amount of little time ive had to play, but i couldve waited on all of it tbh.

It also doesnt have ultrawide which i knew going in, but still doesnt make it right.

Last edited:
I'm regretting my pre-purchase of Space Marine 2. Mainly, I have not had the time to play it like i had hoped. Stuff comes up out of nowhere and such is life.

As much as i like the game and it looks gorgeous and runs great and all that, its just not as fun as a single-player experience. Noone in my household likes the game so there goes that, servers were crappy at connecting me when i tried to play coop. Ik, EA is like that but this is the first EA game ive made a purchase of where i couldnt play with anyone period, not that i havent had bad experiences, which i most certainly have lol, but i could not at all connect with someone. Just would not launch and i didnt have all the time in the world either. So SP it was.

The game tells you its better to play the game first before doing coop missions but the game itself (esp. at higher difficulties) is not set up for a SP imo. It gets annoying to have to fend off a horde on you while trying to parry while trying to dodge etc. on top of having a mid AI system that doesnt really help. Im movingthrough it on veteran in the amount of little time ive had to play, but i couldve waited on all of it tbh.

It also doesnt have ultrawide which i knew going in, but still doesnt make it right.
IMO, any game that says it's got SP and Co-op is suspicious as regards to balance. Usually only one or the other feels right.

Dipped into some Civ 4 last night. After stints with Civ 6 and 5 since last time, I had no trouble confusing myself!

y9NyyyF.png

OvXT4td.png

:D

Dipped into some Civ 4 last night. After stints with Civ 6 and 5 since last time, I had no trouble confusing myself!

y9NyyyF.png

OvXT4td.png

:D
"Brian the Mediocre" reminds me of Troy. You have Ajax the Great, the famous one, and then there's another Ajax known as "Ajax the Lessor". Seems a little rude. Of course, he's most famous for dragging off a woman and "using" her, so he probably deserved something worse than "the Lessor".

Alright, who has a giant girl fetish? You might want to check out this GOTY candidate.

Not a PC game, but last night I noticed Elder Scrolls Castles downloaded to my phone. I pre-ordered(it was free) this game on the App Store probably an entire year ago, then suddenly it just downloaded as soon as it was released. I played for an hour last night while unwinding for bed and it was decently fun.

It’s basically just an Elder Scrolls skinned version of Fallout Shelter. You run a castle and have to build rooms, place workstations, have your villagers work at these stations, and gather resources required to make new machines. For a mobile game so far it’s pretty good, but it was making my iPhone 12 Mini overheat. Even turning down the graphics to Medium kept my phone nice and toasty. Good game to play on a cold winter morning.

I suspect this game will eventually come to PC as did Fallout Shelter. It’s a fun casual little time waster. Nothing spectacular, but well made. One weird thing is that I’ve been gathering green gems, which seem to indicate the presence of a premium store, but I haven’t been able to find it. Maybe it will pop up later on as you progress, which I suppose is a good way to not just immediately shove in app purchases in your players face as soon as they boot up the game for the first time.

Not a PC game, but last night I noticed Elder Scrolls Castles downloaded to my phone. I pre-ordered(it was free) this game on the App Store probably an entire year ago, then suddenly it just downloaded as soon as it was released. I played for an hour last night while unwinding for bed and it was decently fun.

It’s basically just an Elder Scrolls skinned version of Fallout Shelter. You run a castle and have to build rooms, place workstations, have your villagers work at these stations, and gather resources required to make new machines. For a mobile game so far it’s pretty good, but it was making my iPhone 12 Mini overheat. Even turning down the graphics to Medium kept my phone nice and toasty. Good game to play on a cold winter morning.

I suspect this game will eventually come to PC as did Fallout Shelter. It’s a fun casual little time waster. Nothing spectacular, but well made. One weird thing is that I’ve been gathering green gems, which seem to indicate the presence of a premium store, but I haven’t been able to find it. Maybe it will pop up later on as you progress, which I suppose is a good way to not just immediately shove in app purchases in your players face as soon as they boot up the game for the first time.
Was that the mobile Elder Scrolls game they announced about 5 years ago and said it would eventually be on PC? Are there other mobile Elder Scroll games? I've been waiting forever for that game to show up.

I didn't spent my game allotment last month on Steam. I still had $41 in credit. Now I have $191 in credit. I keep looking for games I want, but haven't found anything.

Was that the mobile Elder Scrolls game they announced about 5 years ago and said it would eventually be on PC? Are there other mobile Elder Scroll games? I've been waiting forever for that game to show up.
I think that may have been Elder Scrolls Blades. That game wasn’t great, it was a first person dungeon crawler that was very linear. You had a village that you built up and upgraded, while teleporting to random areas/dungeons to fight some skeletons by swiping your finger across the screen and occasionally pressing a QTE icon. Not fun at all in my opinion. This new one is a side scroller, 2.5D style graphics, and it’s more about managing your castle and all the inhabitants within it. I think it works a lot better for a mobile game than Blades did.

I didn't spent my game allotment last month on Steam. I still had $41 in credit. Now I have $191 in credit. I keep looking for games I want, but haven't found anything.

Geez, I think that's more money than I've spend on Steam over the last decade.

It does remind me that I randomly got €1 recently from selling one of those collectible Steam cards I had put for sale months ago.

Geez, I think that's more money than I've spend on Steam over the last decade.

It does remind me that I randomly got €1 recently from selling one of those collectible Steam cards I had put for sale months ago.
You're young and have better things to do with your money. I'm old and I spend my money however I want. I didn't save for retirement to have to pinch pennies.

Hey @ZedClampet, you recommended SteamPeek yesterday, looks interesting.

I tried Far Cry 6 there, but didn't get much apart from other FCs. Here are the settings I used, have you any suggestions to improve filters?

ETA

Yep, immediately thought of you :D
Far Cry 6 is a massive AAA game. If there were games similar to it, you'd already know about them because they'd be made by another AAA company. There really aren't any similar games (yet), thus it's a problem for SteamPeek, although I think a couple of games on the first page merit a look

On the first page, the game that sounded the most similar to me was Iridio, which seems to follow the Far Cry formula and is coming out early next year.

As you know, I'm obsessed with following new game releases, and I'm actually surprised that it found a game that's as good of a match for Far Cry.

Another possibility. though the subject may be too different for you, is Phantom Line, which doesn't have a release date yet.

Bottom line, though, is that the Far Cry series is unique.

@Brian Boru The thing that I like about SteamPeek is that it has every game in Steam in it, including those that haven't been released yet, so it's going to be able to recommend things that human curated sites don't know exist. and when you are looking for niche games, that works out much, much better. When I look for my type of game in other sites, they can't come up with much of anything.

There really aren't any similar games (yet)

I've been building a list for many years, of which I expected to see at least some in SteamPeek's recommendations—that's how I tested the 5 games recommendation resources I posted above. Fwiw my current list of FC-likes:
AC series—Black Flag TPP
Batman Arkham Series own
Borderlands Series—RPG own
Crysis own
Cyberpunk 2077
Dead Island—melee zombies own
Dying Light—melee zombies own
Fallout series—NV, 3, 4 own
Ghost Recon: Wildlands own
Grand Theft Auto 5
Homefront: The Revolution own
Just Cause series—rural GTA own
Mad Max—like Just Cause
Mafia series
Metro series—SP focus own
MGS 5: The Phantom Pain own
Rage series—Rage 2 own
Redfall—vampires AVOID own
Shadow o t Tomb Raider TPP own
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 own
STALKER series—survival own
The Division 2 own
The Saboteur—Paris WW2 own

I own all but 6 of those. The closest to FC imo are:
Crysis series
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
MGS 5: The Phantom Pain
Redfall
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3

Nice one, downloading

Phantom Line

Added to Following in case I get a new PC able to meet min specs, but you're prob right that it won't be my cuppa.

Thanks for all the effort :)

Reactions: Pifanjr
I've been building a list for many years, of which I expected to see at least some in SteamPeek's recommendations—that's how I tested the 5 games recommendation resources I posted above. Fwiw my current list of FC-likes:
AC series—Black Flag TPP
Batman Arkham Series own
Borderlands Series—RPG own
Crysis own
Cyberpunk 2077
Dead Island—melee zombies own
Dying Light—melee zombies own
Fallout series—NV, 3, 4 own
Ghost Recon: Wildlands own
Grand Theft Auto 5
Homefront: The Revolution own
Just Cause series—rural GTA own
Mad Max—like Just Cause
Mafia series
Metro series—SP focus own
MGS 5: The Phantom Pain own
Rage series—Rage 2 own
Redfall—vampires AVOID own
Shadow o t Tomb Raider TPP own
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 own
STALKER series—survival own
The Division 2 own
The Saboteur—Paris WW2 own

I own all but 6 of those. The closest to FC imo are:
Crysis series
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
MGS 5: The Phantom Pain
Redfall
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3

Nice one, downloading

Added to Following in case I get a new PC able to meet min specs, but you're prob right that it won't be my cuppa.

Thanks for all the effort :)
I'm sorry. It was hard for both SteamPeek and myself to make the intellectual leap that you actually wanted games that are nothing like FC. I consider none of those games that you listed except for Ghost Recon to be similar to FC in any conceivable way except that many are first person shooters and open world. Apparently you have rather odd conditions for similarities that have nothing to do with commonalities. Don't expect SteamPeek to read your mind, which is the only way you could create a list like yours--through dysfunction. In your case, I would just go to Steam and select the "open world" tag, the "fps" tag and deselect the "survival" tag. That should get you a list of thousands of games EXACTLY like FC.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts