September 2024 General Game Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos in between working, but where I started with watching educational or entertaining stuff I've been meaning to watch, I eventually just found myself watching random videos a lot.

So I decided to pick up FrogComposband again. I still had a save of a Ring at level 29 and it was surprisingly easy to pick it back up again. I was a bit struggling at first, but upgrading my ringleader helped a lot.

I used a Bazooker for a while, which was pretty fun because every ~50 turns or so it would shoot a rocket dealing a ton of damage of a type almost no enemy has a resistance against.

However, I had to switch when I encountered a fast boss. Bazookers are slow and aren't good in melee and the occasional rocket does not make up for that. So I switched to a Cherub, who is a lot faster and can summon monsters, which is great for distracting enemies while I blast them with magic from afar.

That is sad, Concord has been removed from sale and people getting refunds.

One less trainwreck to watch... now what am I supposed to do?
In gaming there is a never ending series of trainwrecks. You could switch to Gearbox, which bought the Risk of Rain series and immediately went about making the game unplayable with bugs.

If I ran a AAA studio, I would reject being called AAA. I would consider it an insult.

Age of Mythology Retold comes out tomorrow and is on Game Pass day one so I’ll definitely be checking that out tomorrow evening. It will be a good break from Yakuza. It seems to be a fairly casual and easy to play RTS which is right up my alley. I’ve never been one for macros and memorizing all 50 different hotkeys for each specific unit, so RTS games like that and Age of Empires 4 are my type. Simple, modernized, streamlined, and just focused on having fun, not trying to be the very best player in the multiplayer lobby. Definitely excited to give it a shot.

In gaming there is a never ending series of trainwrecks. You could switch to Gearbox, which bought the Risk of Rain series and immediately went about making the game unplayable with bugs.
Seriously, a huuuuuuge F U to Gearbox for that move. They buy the entire game from the original devs, and their first shot at making content for it results in them screwing things up so catastrophically for everyone regardless if you bought the DLC or not that it’s simply easier to completely roll back the update instead of fixing it. We’re not talking minor bugs or crashes, but a complete screw up of the entire base games’ code. They messed it up so bad that the Hopoo devs got hired up by Valve and they just said “screw it let’s shut down our whole company” and washed their hands clean of Risk of Rain 2.

Between this and the Borderlands movie, Gearbox is shaping up to be one of the most disliked gaming companies if they keep it up. I’ve never been into the Borderlands games, but let’s hope for their fans sake that Borderlands 4 turns out to be good.

In fairness to Gearbox, I'm not sure they had anything to do with that movie.
2011, Gearbox Software CEO Randy Pitchford had his first conversation about a possible film adaptation of Borderlands with producers Avi and Ari Arad of Arad Productions.[19] Pitchford was convinced that a film adaption would work after the release of Tales from the Borderlands.[20] He later planned on starting a Borderlands cinematic universe.[21] In May 2015, Leigh Whannell was in talks with Lionsgate to write and direct an adaptation of the video game series.[22]

It was their CEO's idea to make it. Whether they were hands on or not, it is their IP.

It was their CEO's idea to make it. Whether they were hands on or not, it is their IP.
Well, yeah, but they didn't make it bad. That was someone else entirely.

Telltale games made a perfectly good interactive movie using the IP. I don't give Gearbox any credit for that, and I don't blame them for the movie being terrible.

Well, yeah, but they didn't make it bad. That was someone else entirely.

Telltale games made a perfectly good interactive movie using the IP. I don't give Gearbox any credit for that, and I don't blame them for the movie being terrible.
I wouldn’t blame them for the entire movie but in the general gaming community, just their name and their IP being tied to it is still a bad look. Also, surely someone high up at Gearbox watched the movie before it was released, and maybe that says more about their own personal taste than anything else if they greenlit it.

Anna Cramling and her GM parents I tend to watch from time to time. when Anna is doing tournaments, Pia (her mother) will comment on the moves in an educational and at times fun way. Anna got burned by Magnus for her Cow opening (that she made), which was funny. Maybe someday the Cow opening will be one of the greatest, who knows? Both her parents are GM, that is kind of insane.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i63Dm8eBglE
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnT3gKC_uss

*looks around* Oh, and we also have this Chess game on Steam everyone can play. I didn't like it, because frames were dropping everywhere. I'm a fan of the standard 2D/3D chess with your top-down look.I don't want any fancy visuals that will disturb the chess game.

Battle Chess is a fun game. You kill the opponent's pieces in graphic ways.

If you are more keen on FPS type of Chess, this game will be for you:

Last edited:
I continued my FrogComposband game last evening and once again learned that I really shouldn't be playing this game tired.

So I started a new game today. I decided to try out a different class this time, maybe something more straightforward. Instead I ended up with a Lucky Wild-Talent Yeek, meaning I get random powers every couple of levels and I play as one of the weakest creatures possible with abysmal stats. The only upside is that I level up really fast.

It's actually been going pretty well so far, mostly because I found a really powerful weapon early on, but I'm level 27 now and I've hit a bit of a wall. I'll probably just need to find some better equipment and especially some stat boosting potions to make up for all of my stat penalties.

Age of Mythology Retold came out today and it’s currently sitting at 92% positive based off nearly 4000 reviews on Steam, a huge difference from the 75/100 PCG gave it. People are saying it’s just about everything they could have asked for with an AoM remake, from improved visuals to modernization of controls and a huge load of bugfixes. Players of the original are calling it the gold standard for video game remakes.

I’m very excited to dive into it tonight!

Battle Chess is a fun game

I tried that in 90s, lasted about 10 minutes—bad enough being hammered in 'normal' chess without being hacked and slashed too :D

FPS type of Chess

"Psychological Horror" :eek:
Yeah… NO!

"Chess Ultra"
Have that on Epic—call me old-fashioned but I always come back to the classic Staunton set. Chess is the ultimate game where gameplay is everything and graphics etc are usually only a distraction. Still, if a bit of razzmatazz expands the audience, that's all good.

I'll even happily play on the diagram-style board you find in print:
m2pdWh7.png

I have the free Simply Chess as my main chess game, altho it's apparently 6 years since I dusted it off. Does the job just fine.

Time to fish!

Ugh no—Far Cry has loads of fishing which I studiously avoid apart from mission-required stints—just like vehicles… so I guess fishing off a boat would be my ultimate torture :D

Both her parents are GM, that is kind of insane

You know of the Polgar sisters?—interesting story.

Jul 30, 2024
Visit site
Christ is it already september? meh no games or news to say atm in september. Maybe space marine 2 is coming out and its looking to be a winner, but who knows. I liked the first one enough and the second game was a much needed sequel. The multiplayer aspect? the kinda puts me off. i won't be playing it and i doubt it will last all that long. But they're going in with a season pass of multiplayer content. Expected but not really exciting. perhaps it will be a success, but i highly doubt it and i would bet money that it won't work out. People prefer the SP element and that remains to be seen how good that is. We may get shown the best bits and the rest is trash or the games really short.

On my gaming front, very little to report. Still playing arcade paradise, slowly expanding the arcade and converting the laundromat and no, i spend more time doing laundry then actually playing the game. Each 45min play session i probably spend 10-15min tops playing the arcades. its less thrilling to play when you're ill and have a bout of the trots/stomach upset like i did. Presumably, food poisoning or something.

Handheld gaming front, I'm playing stranger in sword city revisted and honestly whilst visually pretty, the RNG JRPG encounters piss me off sometimes. my party is currently lvl 1-4 and we face monsters from anywhere from lvl 4-15(!) its crazy. Sometimes i luck out and make progress, other times its just a load of high powered enemies that one shot me and i have to restart. perhaps it gets better latter on, but it doesn't bode well when i'm playing this game on BEGINNER and its still BS. perhaps some sort of level of progression please?
Age of Mythology is what's trending now for RTS lovers. Gates of Pyre is gaining traction too.

I'll even happily play on the diagram-style board you find in print:
m2pdWh7.png
I like similar to this more because it is easier to see the pieces.
I have the free Simply Chess as my main chess game, altho it's apparently 6 years since I dusted it off. Does the job just fine.
That looks perfect, will give it a go.
You know of the Polgar sisters?—interesting story.
Just watched a documentary of them. A lot I believe is correct when it comes to this type of upbringing. There will always be a limit to your IQ though, if you are not met with an accident or similar that suddenly unlucks more. So, everyone can become good a things at any age, but there will be a limit to just how good. You won't see many Einsteins running around even if they had the "perfect "upbringing like the Polgar sisters.

Who knows, maybe with the neurolink we will see humankind artificially increase their IQ tenfold.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts