September 2024 General Game Discussion Thread

Christ is it already september? meh no games or news to say atm in september. Maybe space marine 2 is coming out and its looking to be a winner, but who knows. I liked the first one enough and the second game was a much needed sequel. The multiplayer aspect? the kinda puts me off. i won't be playing it and i doubt it will last all that long. But they're going in with a season pass of multiplayer content. Expected but not really exciting. perhaps it will be a success, but i highly doubt it and i would bet money that it won't work out. People prefer the SP element and that remains to be seen how good that is. We may get shown the best bits and the rest is trash or the games really short.

On my gaming front, very little to report. Still playing arcade paradise, slowly expanding the arcade and converting the laundromat and no, i spend more time doing laundry then actually playing the game. Each 45min play session i probably spend 10-15min tops playing the arcades. its less thrilling to play when you're ill and have a bout of the trots/stomach upset like i did. Presumably, food poisoning or something.

Handheld gaming front, I'm playing stranger in sword city revisted and honestly whilst visually pretty, the RNG JRPG encounters piss me off sometimes. my party is currently lvl 1-4 and we face monsters from anywhere from lvl 4-15(!) its crazy. Sometimes i luck out and make progress, other times its just a load of high powered enemies that one shot me and i have to restart. perhaps it gets better latter on, but it doesn't bode well when i'm playing this game on BEGINNER and its still BS. perhaps some sort of level of progression please?

Did a quick spin thru a few of my backlog I hadn't tried before—and I mean quick! Game's gotta grab me or at very minimum not annoy. I have too many to dally over possibles. No joy, 4 'NO' candidates, here are my notes to myself:

Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story NO
"Too slow, boring"
Concept is okay, eg I quite liked Her Story which is similar in the pecking around to assemble a story. Laura's Phone doesn't have the FMV of HS tho, and the story probably isn't as interesting—but can't confirm, I didn't hang around. All text-based that I saw—emails, chats, calendar…

Steam loves it tho, 90%, so go for it if this sounds like your thing—$3 for ~2 hours play time.

Euro Truck Simulator NO
"Kept minimizing to Taskbar"
4 times in 5 minutes for no discernible reason. 🤷‍♂️

Evil Genius NO
"Funny, too old"
If you want to play Ernst Stavro Blofeld from the Bond movies—he was in 7-8 of 'em!—this 2-part series is your ticket. Sort of an economic version of Risk, the world is your target from your secret lair.

If you fancy humorous base building or colony management, try it. 30-40 hours, $10 & 86% on GOG where I have it, 94% on Steam. Not my genre, and controls too clunky.

Evil Genius 2 World Domination NO
"Fun, too grindy"
I didn't play since EG1 isn't my cuppa, but read a few reviews on Steam, where it's $40 and 68%. Funny and repetitive-boring seemed to be the consensus.

Been playing Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, and so far so good. Obviously it has the nostalgic aesthetic trappings of the Infinity engine games that inspired it but enough new stuff to keep it feeling like a re tread. Just getting into the ship management a little, and the world seems plenty dense with characters and quests after about 10 hours that I think I'll be here a while more.

Trying it in turn based combat mode to see how it feels. Pretty good, although its a little janky in places where there are NPCs wandering the map in real time while the party and enemies are stuck in TB mode. The delayed action on spells is an interesting quirk and seems fun, but a bit frustrating when a guard wanders into the path of an AOE and aggros the whole town garrison against you when it casts. Not sure if that will be a problem going forwards or only in a couple of situations so might be overstating it.

Its an interesting world, partly playing it now because Im looking towards Avowed and wanted to get a feel for the lore again. I liked Pillars 1 but although it didnt feel exactly generic to me it wasnt particularly memorable either, although to be fair I never finished a playthrough all the way.

Been playing Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, and so far so good. Obviously it has the nostalgic aesthetic trappings of the Infinity engine games that inspired it but enough new stuff to keep it feeling like a re tread. Just getting into the ship management a little, and the world seems plenty dense with characters and quests after about 10 hours that I think I'll be here a while more.

Trying it in turn based combat mode to see how it feels. Pretty good, although its a little janky in places where there are NPCs wandering the map in real time while the party and enemies are stuck in TB mode. The delayed action on spells is an interesting quirk and seems fun, but a bit frustrating when a guard wanders into the path of an AOE and aggros the whole town garrison against you when it casts. Not sure if that will be a problem going forwards or only in a couple of situations so might be overstating it.

Its an interesting world, partly playing it now because Im looking towards Avowed and wanted to get a feel for the lore again. I liked Pillars 1 but although it didnt feel exactly generic to me it wasnt particularly memorable either, although to be fair I never finished a playthrough all the way.

I need to give PoE2 a go. I pretty much agree with your assessment of the original game, though I never made it any further than the first big city, where I got "Big Town Syndrome" and couldn't muster the energy to continue any further.

I finished the story in Hardspace: Shipbreaker, which is nice to check off the list. Funny that I put it down over a year ago and was so close to the end without realizing it. There's still more ship cutting to do, if I feel so inclined, but I'm happy to leave it where it is and consider myself done with the game.

Should probably get back to Hitman, but this level in Columbia just kind of killed my interest for whatever reason. I certainly prefer the big, modern cities/buildings/levels, what have you to the small villages or towns or whatever when you end up in them. Marrakesh was interesting in the first series, but Colombia is just damn boring.

Other than that, I've not been playing anything too seriously. I got my new retro emulation handheld and been playing a lot of different things on that, but spent most of my time with Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door on Gamecube.

Edit: I may pick-up the Starfield DLC at the end of the month. I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed the game and ended-up with about 90-hours in it, always intending to go back.

Just watched the Borderlands movie. Honestly i dont think its the worst video game movie adaptation but it wasnt great. Im gonna always think the casting choices were terrible outside of Tina and Kreig (you could put any muscly dude behind a mask and have him say random stuff and act all brutish like the character easy).

The graphics werent all that good but ive seen worse, i knew they werent gonna be that great going in, which helped and some of the writing is well...a different story but i didnt think it was as terrible as its been made out to seem in my eyes. Some of the jokes made me laugh and claptrap was annoying like he is in the game.

Gaming wise, outside of having terrible RNG in Diablo 4 and getting the latest exotic weapon in Destiny 2, im just waiting on the EA for Space Marine 2 on thurs.

I was occupied all day, and finally sat down to play Farm Together only to discover another player had entered my farm and done everything. People aren't being nice. You get significant boosts for working on someone else's farm. I could turn it off if I wanted to, but there probably aren't that many functioning farms for people to go to since they have come out with a sequel.

I played this for a few hours some time in 2023 and had a very small farm and about $100, and when I came back a couple of weeks ago, the farm was exactly as I left it, but I had 1.5 million dollars. Someone worked the hell out of it while I wasn't playing, so any time they want to come back, they are welcome.

Been playing Hogwarts Legacy. I was a bit unsure if I would play more because of how the NPC's looked the same at times and were placed in similar locations, but I decided to ignore the fact and focus on the more interesting parts of the game. Like how awesome it looks, especially looking at Hogwarts School from the inside. Some areas are even better portrayed than you find in the movies and they have done some fan service when it comes to easter eggs, which I like a lot.

The customization/transmog options are well done, skills seem fun to use (and you remember similar from the movies which is cool) and I can't wait to build my character more and try to find as many puzzles as possible in which there are a lot of in the game.

Been playing Hogwarts Legacy. I was a bit unsure if I would play more because of how the NPC's looked the same at times and were placed in similar locations, but I decided to ignore the fact and focus on the more interesting parts of the game. Like how awesome it looks, especially looking at Hogwarts School from the inside. Some areas are even better portrayed than you find in the movies and they have done some fan service when it comes to easter eggs, which I like a lot.

The customization/transmog options are well done, skills seem fun to use (and you remember similar from the movies which is cool) and I can't wait to build my character more and try to find as many puzzles as possible in which there are a lot of in the game.
It really encourages you to explore. There is stuff hidden everywhere.

I've been messing around with N64 emulation on my new handheld.

I was pretty sure something was very wrong with it, because many of the games are running anywhere from 12-20fps, but after doing research, no, it turns out that was totally normal. Majora's Mask is pegged at 20FPS.

I remember playing 3D accelerated Quake multiplayer back in 1996 and feeling smugly superior over my friends with an N64; while I had previously questioned that feeling in my later life, I no longer do. Teen me was correct.

You can make a good game and sell it for only 15 USD? No, that can't be! That is impossible! How dare they!

You can make a good game and sell it for only 15 USD? No, that can't be! That is impossible! How dare they!

This game is fantastic, by the way. I played it entirely on Steam Deck and I just loved it to pieces from beginning to end.

Fun little game with a demo for anyone interested:

Nope. Never watched/read/Played any Harry Potter products. I missed that phenomena so it means nothing to me.

Same. When it came out i was into LoTR at the time because it was around the time the remakes came out. I am glad too because JK Rowling is someone who i would never ever want to support regardless of what medium its on and if she had anything to do with it, if its her IP, no thanks.

Come on Space Marine 2 please dont suck, be unoptimized, have server crashes, long unskippable cutscenes, QTEs or be boring.

Yes, i pre-ordered for the early access "ultra edition" (it didnt cost 100, 90 or even 85 usd) and all the 40k skins, even if i was never a big fan of painting and playing models against others...So that makes 3 so far this year. Diablo 4s expansion, Helldivers 2 and now this. Both the other purchases have paid off in my mind, so im hoping it will here too.

Arcade paradise i've finally converted the entire laundromat into an arcade. Victory! right?

not quite. Theres still a few more machines to buy, so i suspect that we're probably not there yet. i think the final objective is to replace the laundromat sign above the arcade, but the rub atm is that i'll have to play twice as long to grind those machines to work (so 2-3 days per machine). a normal day takes 45 minutes normally.

Still, i suppose i have a large number of games to play and upgrade to make more money. Except they're mostly terrible to play.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts