February 2024 General Gaming Discussion Thread

Welp, I had a plan for this post, but it has derailed, flown off the bridge and fallen 500 meters into the canyon below.

First of all, I thought there was a "post preview" option. Maybe that was the old board. Then I tried to use BBCode as written by BingAI, and that didn't work at all. I wanted to put internal (post) links so that the post would be more useful. Without that ability, I don't see the use of spending a couple of hours on a massive, TLDR post.

No big deal. It is what it is. And what it is is the monthly discussion post. Post away!

(It's a bit early, but I didn't expect to be finished this quickly)

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Huh? Post preview is right where it always has been - upper right corner of the box.

Anyway, I'm still plowing through Cyberpunk. Yesterday, all I did was one of those 'heightened criminal activity' things in Dogtown, which has a minor boss at the end of it and extra good loot. Then I spent some time jumping a motorcycle off a cliff and taking screenshots. Oh, and I bought a convertible!

First of all, I thought there was a "post preview" option. Maybe that was the old board. Then I tried to use BBCode as written by BingAI, and that didn't work at all. I wanted to put internal (post) links so that the post would be more useful. Without that ability, I don't see the use of spending a couple of hours on a massive, TLDR post.
i don't think the codes you used apply here. I copied it and pasted and it didn't do a lot. the anchor code, for instance, didn't activate as such. I can see its possible on xenforo but I don't think its applied as an option here. As such, the bottom choices also don't work as it doesn't know what #id-section-1 is.

Preview still works, its how I tested those codes. But since it didn't recognise some it just showed them as text. Could be why it didn't appear to work.

Huh? Post preview is right where it always has been - upper right corner of the box.

Anyway, I'm still plowing through Cyberpunk. Yesterday, all I did was one of those 'heightened criminal activity' things in Dogtown, which has a minor boss at the end of it and extra good loot. Then I spent some time jumping a motorcycle off a cliff and taking screenshots. Oh, and I bought a convertible!
Oh yeah. I was looking where it is on the other two boards I post to. Just as well, though, because if I had found it I would have wasted a lot of time trying to get the links to work, which doesn't seem possible.

@neogunhero Not sure where you've gone, but thanks for letting me know about Cult of the Lamb. Great game.
Somehow I forgot to hit “Post Reply” after typing this out earlier haha.

Still here, but I think we’ve been hanging out in different threads lately. For the past few weeks I’ve been big into Cyberpunk 2077, and have been posting in this thread for a while now.

How are you liking Cult of the Lamb? I’ve been meaning to check out the new update. That game is seriously good and I couldn’t put it down once I started playing. I rarely ever finish games fully, and that was one of very few I completed last year.

Somehow I forgot to hit “Post Reply” after typing this out earlier haha.

Still here, but I think we’ve been hanging out in different threads lately. For the past few weeks I’ve been big into Cyberpunk 2077, and have been posting in this thread for a while now.

How are you liking Cult of the Lamb? I’ve been meaning to check out the new update. That game is seriously good and I couldn’t put it down once I started playing. I rarely ever finish games fully, and that was one of very few I completed last year.
I only just started, basically, and I'm already hooked. I'll give more details later, but thanks, also, for checking out the m/kb controls.

I didn't really feel like continuing my Shogun 2 campaign, so I started Outer Wilds instead. I've managed to avoid spoilers so far, so please don't spoil anything now.

Before the game would even start up I got a screen telling me it was best to play with a gamepad. Our Xbox controller is pretty beat up though, with both the A and X sticking sometimes and the right stick sometimes thinks it's being pushed downwards when it isn't being touched. So I've decided to just play with K+M and so far it's going fairly well. I haven't left the planet yet though, so we'll see how it goes once I have to navigate more difficult environments.

Stress test info for the game Nightingale. If the game looks interesting you'll be able to join soon. Request access on their Steam page.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1928980/Nightingale/ and a recent video showcasing some combat. I timestamped where the action starts:

View: https://youtu.be/qoPjCLn5ars?t=468

I also noticed one thing that makes this game interesting and unique from a lot of similar games: You can combine different cards as a way to customize the biome you want to explore. As I understand it, this means that you for example can put a card that makes it always be night or day, have the biome with more monsters or ingredients, and so on.

Last edited:
I got closed beta access to Ubisoft’s new co-op extraction shooter currently called Project U. I just signed up out of curiosity and was surprised I actually got in. I’ll check it out this weekend but it says I’m under strict NDA so I can’t talk about it lol.

I’ve got 5 keys if anyone wants to join. Closed beta ends on Feb 6th at 8AM UTC. I have no idea if this will be any good or if it will even see the light of day beyond some beta tests.

I got closed beta access to Ubisoft’s new co-op extraction shooter currently called Project U. I just signed up out of curiosity and was surprised I actually got in. I’ll check it out this weekend but it says I’m under strict NDA so I can’t talk about it lol.

I’ve got 5 keys if anyone wants to join. Closed beta ends on Feb 6th at 8AM UTC. I have no idea if this will be any good or if it will even see the light of day beyond some beta tests.
I got that too, but I don't think I'm going to activate it. I'm not a huge fan of playing with randoms. Everything becomes a race.

So, Cult of the Lamb...I don't know why they make a big deal about using a controller. KB/M work great. I love the combat. It's kind of like V-Rising's combat, but not quite as insane. I like doing the dungeons. The format reminds me of The Binding of Isaac, going from room to room and getting the treasure after clearing the room.

I haven't unlocked too many things for my colony yet, but I put everyone on devotion and am getting ready to leave on my next expedition. It has kind of that rogue-like feel with the Tarot cards giving you a different buff every time you go in.

@Brian Boru when I was going through the games for the post I didn't make, I found this:

I seem to remember you having liked the original Plants vs Zombies. I don't actually know anything about this game, but it looks like it was inspired by the early PvZ games.

The one that has me excited is this one:
Design and sell tanks then follow them in battle? Sign me up.

Somehow I forgot to hit “Post Reply” after typing this out earlier

Fyi the forum is good at keeping such typing. If it looks like it's gone, try hitting refresh—F5—and it might magically reappear in the Reply box :)

I started Outer Wilds instead. I've managed to avoid spoilers

The Butler did it.

I seem to remember you having liked the original Plants vs Zombies

Good memory! That looks interesting, thanks :)

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
I've started Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Decided enough time have passed since I played the previous entry to the franchise and I hunger for this kind of gameplay now. Still early on, but the production value is on point. You can smell the $ burning in the background. ;)

Also, decided to check the newest entry of Football Manager. So yeah, I've sunk and already on my 5th season. Took Le Mans from 3rd French league to Champions League. On that note: eff PSG, ban them, mash them, declare them criminals and boil their president. :p

Still Against the Storm, its still good. Every time you up the difficulty, which you need to do to get enough resources to finish the end of run kind of boss battles as they get further away, the game starts to make you have to think about something new you didnt have to worry about as much before. Its like the tutorial never ends because the game is constantly different, but in a good way. 80 hours in.

Otherwise I played a couple of hours of Dredge which has an interesting premise but I'm not feeling it minute to minute. Its a fishing game with added eldritch horrors that is spooky at times but filled with repetitive mini games that arent so interesting. Hopefully the story ramps up fast soon I'll give it a bit more time.

Zloth

Community Contributor
After trying LEGO Fortnite and Palworld I realised I don't really like Survival Sandbox games. They're okay if playing with other people, but I get bored pretty quickly if I try playing them by myself.

However, I just saw someone refer to Fallout 4 as a Survival game and realised that it was mostly the Survival mechanics which were my least favourite parts. I guess I should avoid games that include Survival mechanics in the future.

I'll only say that it's WAY easier to fly the ship than that little model.

Yeah, I was a bit worried, but my first few trips around the planet went pretty well. Luckily the ship can take a few bumps.

My journey in assassins creed odyssey continues. 30 hours in and i'm exploring the athens area. The good news is that the combat is more manageable now that i've invested in more assassin skills (which does significantly more damage compared to warrior or archer skills). ATM, my concern is that as i level up, the difficulty seems to scale to my level. In origins you can have level fixed so there is a direction for you to go, whereas in odyssey large areas are now accessible and it feels like a sandbox but i dunno feels off for me. it doesn't help that easier levels scale so that one mission of killing that boar will still be a challenge.

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
And i love fortnate? But lately it seems to me that it has iost almost all of its personality, user interfase and especially its artistic style.

@Pifanjr let's do a test. After you hit "play" in Palworld, select "customization" and turn off the need for food. If that doesn't make you like the game better, then it's probably not the "survival" but the "sandbox" that you don't like. In early access, Palworld is sort of an extreme example of "sandbox". But it may always be that way. No idea.

They have never done a game with narrative. That's kind of a reason I like them. For me, the opposite of sandbox is narrative, and I don't care for narrative, but it's really all the same thing. There's progression in Palworld and a final boss, for instance. There's just no one telling you why you are progressing or hoping you'll save the world.

Apparently, the natural light source in House Flipper 2 is always pointing straight down, and all light not from a lamp is natural light. Therefore, if you don't have the lights on the wallpaper is much darker than it should be on all four walls.

@Pifanjr Also, Subnautica is a survival game, and you liked it okay. I think in the case of Palworld you probably just need more direction and purpose, like from at least some degree of narrative.

As for Fallout 4, a lot of people seemed not to like it. Not sure why. For me it was the narrative. I just couldn't get into it. I loved Fallout 76, but it's co-op, so that really doesn't count. Also the story wasn't trying to dominate my time. It was there, but it wasn't intrusive.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts