August 2024 PC Gaming General Discussion Thread

Page 15 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I have discovered how so many almost identical retail simulators have been released. Someone created a retail engine for Unity. Basically, you just buy the retail engine and it's almost just plug and play.

There's a similar thing for horror games in Unreal.
I noticed this exact thing on the Nintendo Switch store as well. They are all the exact same game, with slightly different graphics and names, but the main gameplay loop and goals all seem the same. Then they have the audacity to charge $10+ for an obvious asset flip. Hardly the first time this sort of thing has happened but it’s the most prevalent trend you can see right now.

Some of my keyboard keys are starting to physically stick. I have a Corsair K95 Platinum so it doesn’t have hotswappable switches, meaning lubricating them is not really an option unless I want to unsolder/resolver the switches, and that’s something I’ve never done before. I cleaned all the keys and switches really thoroughly earlier this year, and I’ve owned the keyboard for at least 4 years at this point, so I’m unsure what is causing it to stick. I’ll try cleaning it again over the weekend to try to fix it but also a new keyboard sounds quite nice, however all the ones I’m looking at around going to be around $100 or more. The local Walmart doesn’t have anything besides membrane keyboard and seriously overpriced mechanical keyboards, any other store that will carry keyboards like that will be at least 2 hours away. I think I just need to try to repair this one before throwing money at a new keyboard.

Some of my keyboard keys are starting to physically stick. I have a Corsair K95 Platinum so it doesn’t have hotswappable switches, meaning lubricating them is not really an option unless I want to unsolder/resolver the switches, and that’s something I’ve never done before. I cleaned all the keys and switches really thoroughly earlier this year, and I’ve owned the keyboard for at least 4 years at this point, so I’m unsure what is causing it to stick. I’ll try cleaning it again over the weekend to try to fix it but also a new keyboard sounds quite nice, however all the ones I’m looking at around going to be around $100 or more. The local Walmart doesn’t have anything besides membrane keyboard and seriously overpriced mechanical keyboards, any other store that will carry keyboards like that will be at least 2 hours away. I think I just need to try to repair this one before throwing money at a new keyboard.

You can always try lubing it up before committing to a new keyboard.

I noticed this exact thing on the Nintendo Switch store as well. They are all the exact same game, with slightly different graphics and names, but the main gameplay loop and goals all seem the same. Then they have the audacity to charge $10+ for an obvious asset flip. Hardly the first time this sort of thing has happened but it’s the most prevalent trend you can see right now.
There are a couple that have changed the formula up and continue unique development after launch, but most of them are just the same old thing.

Apparently that would require me to unsolder/resolver the switches and I’ve never done that before. Also if I’m not mistaken I believe my switches are permanently attached to my keyboard, so it would require even more disassembly to do. I’m just gonna give it a very thorough scrubbing and hope for the best.

May 13, 2024
Visit site
I rarely buy anything without looking into it. Before the internet I didn't have that choice but now, I try to watch any videos I can.

Honestly one of the reasons why I don't is because the week before The Force Awakens premiered in theaters, I was scrolling through my news feed, and some review had in the headline:
"Han Solo Dies?" (spoiler tag in case someone hasn't seen it :p :D)
In the flippin' headline! I wasn't even looking for news on the movie and was just going through my daily news feed.

Sure enough, I sat through the movie opening day after all the years of growing up wondering if Episode VII would ever happen, but in the back of my mind all I could think about was that headline. And sure enough when he called out to Kylo on the platform, I knew. Ruined the whole thing for me. Since then I stopped reading/watching reviews, almost 10 years counting, games included.

But that said, if I were buying games more often when they release and given the price these days, yeah I'd at least be looking at overall scores and user input, as otherwise it'd become an expensive and most likely an aggravating endeavor.

I hope you have fun. You aren't only one who wanted an open world SW game - this is hardly the first but it is the most recent.

True, but to be honest I'm of the few who actually enjoy the Ubisoft formula, and since I believe this is their first in the SW universe, I was excited for it. As for the fun part... I haven't started yet. My Dragon Age 2 run didn't end as soon as I wanted it to last night. But I'm downloading new GPU drivers now and will get started shortly... and finally!

At least you didn't pre order it just to get a bug that forces you to restart game... that was fixed in a patch.

Paying for early access to bugs doesn't seem worthwhile to me. You are paying to beta test them... no real difference to a normal game release I guess.

Agree on all counts. Of the two games I can think of that I pre-ordered for early access, they were only single player which I figured were less likely to have issues, and they were fine. But that said, if maybe Ubisoft wasn't charging so damn much for the non-standard editions, I might have been tempted to do the same. I suppose I should thank them for that pricing! But even then, $60 was already more than I want to pay for a new release, and now we're getting close to what the gold version used to be priced at for the standard edition.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024
Visit site
GOTY. How PC Gamer and IGN gave it a 7, I will never understand.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-NKcF0KmRE

My own personal score always seems to be +1 over PC Gamer and IGN. If that stands true on this one I'll be in SW heaven.

Drivers are updated, and about to fire it up. I have the day off, a bunch of snacks ready, and nobody home with an 11.3 channel Atmos setup with 2200W RMS of total external amplification + 3 x 15" 550W subwoofers waiting to rock the house... :D

Last edited:
In the flippin' headline! I wasn't even looking for news on the movie and was just going through my daily news feed.

Sure enough, I sat through the movie opening day after all the years of growing up wondering if Episode VII would ever happen, but in the back of my mind all I could think about was that headline. And sure enough when he called out to Kylo on the platform, I knew. Ruined the whole thing for me. Since then I stopped reading/watching reviews, almost 10 years counting, games included.

That makes sense. I normally don't care about spoilers but it can ruin the surprise in learning it for yourself. You go in expecting it to happen. Complete opposite reaction. (thinks of a movie released recently that has a trigger warning at start of it giving away the one surprise in movie, Why do that to your own product. Or the audience who paid to see it... at start... shoot movie in head at start. )

Meanwhile, I don't like surprises or learning the build I have in game won't work suddenly as the enemy I am fighting is immune to it, and a little research before hand would save time. I go looking for videos or anything that will help.

Also helps to know if game actually worth buying too. I don't buy many AAA games at all and I don't want to waste $140 or so on something I don't play very long. One month of game play is probably enough.

But that said, if maybe Ubisoft wasn't charging so damn much for the non-standard editions, I might have been tempted to do the same.
Soon there won't be a standard choice. They will want to make sub more appealing. Some way they will make people pay that subscription cost. Its only way they can survive the downtime between games.

This is the company who said you have to be happy not owning your games. They don't want to make the cheapest one the obvious choice as that is counter productive to you paying them per month for honor of them maybe keeping games on their servers... until the next part in series comes out and they have to force players to stop playing the old one by removing it from service.

No matter, I won't be considering it in a few years unless there's a FPP mod.

BY then most of the bugs will be fixed, so there is that aspect. It might be a good game by then.
Now?

Most people don't want to wait a year or more for the game they already bought to be finished. I wonder what would happen to games industry if every player used your approach. I am all for finding out. Just stop buying broken games on launch and see how many devs survive.

Its that "good enough" thing again, most people believe the hype and want to believe the game/movie/whatever is as amazing as the PR says it is. So Most people won't wait to find out or wait 4 years to play it. Shame really.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024
Visit site
Also helps to know if game actually worth buying too. I don't buy many AAA games at all and I don't want to waste $140 or so on something I don't play very long. One month of game play is probably enough.

For sure, that's why I mentioned if I were buying new releases more frequently I'd at least be looking up user input and review scores.

Soon there won't be a standard choice. They will want to make sub more appealing. Some way they will make people pay that subscription cost. Its only way they can survive the downtime between games.

This is the company who said you have to be happy not owning your games. They don't want to make the cheapest one the obvious choice as that is counter productive to you paying them per month for honor of them maybe keeping games on their servers... until the next part in series comes out and they have to force players to stop playing the old one by removing it from service.

If/when that happens, I'll be cycling subs. No way I'm going to keep ongoing multiple subs. Or even stop gaming entirely?

I often wonder what would happen if consumers would fight back and not buy a game or two for a couple of months after they release , just to send a message.

May 13, 2024
Visit site
force-walk.png

When you experience a momentary lapse of reason and wonder why a non-jedi protagonist has a key binding for a force power, before realizing you're just a doofus.

Game based in the real world

Patient gamers rejoice:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is free to play until 10pm CEST September 1st (48 hours from now) and is on sale for $2.99, $3.99 for the ultimate edition with all DLC. There is also another edition that adds things like the soundtrack and making-of videos for $6.96.

Play for free this weekend and if you like it that massive discount is on until Sept 5th.

I played a bit on Game Pass on my Xbox One, wasn’t capturing me but on PC no doubt it will be a better experience. May have to just pull the trigger on this, but have no idea when I’ll make time for it in my backlog.

I’m just gonna give it a very thorough scrubbing and hope for the best

Don't forget the dishwasher as a last resort.

In the flippin' headline!

I've unsubbed from some YT channels which insist on putting sport results in the video title—idiots!

3 x 15" 550W subwoofers waiting to rock the house..

Red 5ive starts game;
Ceiling collapses on him.

So that's what 'The Force' is!

I wonder what would happen to games industry if every player used your approach

It would probably continue on its current trajectory, ie free-to-play becoming even more dominant so the juicy regular—and most importantly, predictable—revenue stream can continue to grow like gangbusters.

what would happen if consumers would fight back and not buy a game or two for a couple of months after they release

That would have been preceded by either Humans 2.0 or the AI takeover.

Game based in the real world

Spiritual successor to Untitled Goose Game?

Or maybe Goat Sim :unsure:

Patient gamers rejoice

That's a great deal, cheapest it's ever been as far as I know.

Just be sure to read the warning label:
RPG

Zloth

Community Contributor
No matter, I won't be considering it in a few years unless there's a FPP mod.
Unlikely for Outlaws. I didn't see a lot of gameplay, but I think in first person mode you would be staring at walls and cabinets when hiding. Imagine this from first person:
View: https://youtu.be/2SKdbO--o3Y?si=FUoY5ODIv7Y0PBzJ&t=1074

THAT is horrible!!

My own personal score always seems to be +1 over PC Gamer and IGN. If that stands true on this one I'll be in SW heaven.
Waaait a minute! IGN is x/10 and PC Gamer is X/100. And what happens with Persona 5, which got a 10/10?? ;)
Ah hell... 20 minutes into it, and I can't stop holding down the RMB trying to free look, cause I've been playing nothing but Dragon Age I & II the last few months lol
View: https://youtu.be/z4jeREy7Pbc?si=uvLWHH7xgGl8xoIi

PC Gamer should just remove the comment section from the main site. Each article used to get tons of comments, but after years of abusive moderation, many articles don't get any comments at all now. I was banned for two weeks for making a trans positive statement. I guess the moderator was afraid that I might have been being sarcastic, so they decided to ban me just in case.

Reactions: BeardyHat
Given it goes to Discuss and none of the forum moderators are there, I would just like to point out it wasn't us :D

If you have an actual complaint, I would put it in forum feedback and maybe Admin will read it. I have never been tempted to use DIscuss. I can't comment on what happens there as I don't know. It was set up that way before Forums started (again)

if you want to comment on a front page post, we have an entire thread for that on forums. I will hold Brian back, you might survive :)

In fairness, the Disqus channel may be implementing the same company policies we implement here on forums. In simple terms, do not post bait-friendly content.
The article included information related to trans people. If you couldn't comment on it, the comments should have been closed. Anyway, I couldn't find a rule like the one you are mentioning. Lastly the comment wasn't baiting, and it's disturbing to know that some people think a positive comment about a group of people is baiting just because of who those people are.

Last edited:
Its pretty sad that this pattern continues, that you can compare old games to newer ones and the old ones come out ahead in almost every comparison.
Progress?
One was made people who cared and wanted to make best possible game they could, the other one is Star Wars: Outlaws.

Shame for Ubisoft that Disney messed that franchise up. 10 or more years ago this would have sold anyway. They wouldn't have to send emails to everyone telling them it exists - I got one yesterday, a friend got 3 of them... 2 from Xbox.

Kay isn't even in the environment... she never gets wet, muddy, burned... she is not really there. Layers should interact. It creates a disconnect.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeardyHat

TRENDING THREADS