October 2023 Random Game Thoughts Thread

Page 5 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
tough audience. Forza Motorsport has a 41 percent

Made me check Anthem for interest, but not on Steam—59% Metacritic.

While on Steam I was tempted to pick up a game and post a playthru video for y'all—but I said no, it would only bolster everyone's relative sense of inferiority. Perhaps someone else can rise to the task?

5D Chess With Multiverse Time Travel

Zloth

Community Contributor
Wait, can you still get back to your bases in the old galaxy? If so, how to you get back to the new galaxy (if you want to given there's no real difference between galaxies).
Yep. Teleporters work from galaxy to galaxy. Normally, your list of places to go just consists of places that you've been before. If you go to the Anomaly station, though, there's a huge teleporter that can dial up many, many bases that people have built. If you don't want to mess with the whole drive-to-the-center thing, you could simply use that to teleport to a base in whatever galaxy you like.

Your ship follows you wherever you go. Your freighter can be summoned to different galaxies, too, as long as its warp drive can deal with the color star you are at.

{Lore-wise, this makes absolutely no sense at all.}

There IS a difference between galaxies, by the way, it's just not much of one. Some have more paradise planets, some have more dead planets, and some have more severe storms.

Let's see...well i have still been pretty deep into Counter Strike 2 winning and losing up until yesterday when Diablo 4's season of blood started (season 2). This also saw Diablo come to steam and, currently, it sits at ~5k players. This low number is probably due to the fact that you have to re-buy the game on steam if you have been playing on battlenet (stupid decision) so id say most of those players are doing that for some reason rather than it being new people to diablo 4. Either way its a sure sign of the state of the game

I havent touched Destiny 2 in about 3 weeks, i have no desire to do anything of its new halloween event and i really dont know if im going back. Its kinda sad to be doing this knowing that game has probably the most hours i have put into a game in the last 10 years or so but its formula is so played out to me that its gunplay alone cant solve it. Bungie has made so many wrong decisions to put me here. I probably will get the next expansion just to beat it and say i beat the destiny saga, but i could care less about collecting all the gears and guns anymore.

Reactions: Brian Boru
not much to report on my front. 4 days into immortal redneck and just spending time slowly upgrading the tech tree. The good news is that i now make serious buck, nearly double i use to ingame. i could inject it all into money upgrades but i think i'm at a point i want to invest a little on the smaller upgrades and any additional QoL stuff like double jump and correct any defensive/attack deficientcies.

i've completely stopped grabbing scrolls as the risk of getting screwed over is far too high. The only ones i grab are from challenges and/or from the shop. The rest i can't risk unless i'm good as dead. There has been some memorable situations. The good: infinite ammo until you leave the floor. Cue whipping out an assault rifle, drop the hammer and go to town. The bad: Screwed over to carrying only one weapon and then a second scroll swapped my weapon to dynamite. So only 10 sticks and you're finished. no ammo = no weapon. didn't even have the option to throw my (empty) weapon at enemies as it was a consumerable! pretty much game ending right there.

Still playing Age of empires 2 and on the Barbarossa campaign. 4 mission where i have to build a wonder in one of the cities. Looking at the objectives, i just need to build the wonder and thats it. Don't even need to defend it. if the enemies continues to remain passive, i think i can get this sorted then less then an hour. i might start building up the defenses using homes and other junk and build up my army of knights and handgunners.

Last edited:
I was playing Disco Elysium and my character gave up on being a cop because he stumbled a bit while throwing a ball in a game of pétanque. I had no idea that I could lose the game this way, nor was I aware that the game has no real autosave system. My last save was from when I started playing today, so I lost about an hour or so of progress.
That's quintessential Disco Elysium from my brief experience. If I remember correctly, at the beginning of the game, I went down, talked to the bartender, and my guy took off running and died of a heart attack. No saves. Had to start over in his room and do all the upstairs stuff again. There was no way for me to predict I was going to die talking to the bartender, so it hadn't occurred to me to save. I didn't appreciate the game wasting my time with a surprise death based on a seemingly harmless conversation choice and not auto-saving for me.

But in real life, everyone associated with this game is an a-hole, so it isn't really surprising.

Last edited:
Reactions: DXCHASE and Pifanjr
Isn't the 'savest' approach these days to assume there is no save system, or if there is, that it's borked?

The main problem is that it isn't clear that your choice might lead to a game over. Up until that point I hadn't taken any kind of damage whatsoever and I was literally just throwing a ball, I didn't expect my character to give up on life because he threw a ball slightly awkwardly.

I didn't expect my character to give up on life because he threw a ball slightly awkwardly

Agreed, that is… er, overkill.

monster catches the sneaker, then throws it back at you so hard it kills you

Huh… I don't think I've ever experienced death by shoe in a game before. IRL yes, should've broken those suckers in before going hiking :rolleyes:

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr
The main problem is that it isn't clear that your choice might lead to a game over. Up until that point I hadn't taken any kind of damage whatsoever and I was literally just throwing a ball, I didn't expect my character to give up on life because he threw a ball slightly awkwardly.
You didnt have a heart attack retrieving the neck tie from the hotel room? You can die easily from a lot of stuff as I remember.

You didnt have a heart attack retrieving the neck tie from the hotel room? You can die easily from a lot of stuff as I remember.
I did not.

Luckily losing an hour of playtime can be made up in like 5 minutes if you skip through all of the text you've already read, so it wasn't too bad. And now I know how to use healing items to prevent another untimely death.

I finished the first day and I think I did pretty well. It certainly could've gone better, but I accomplished quite a lot of my tasks.

I played the demo for Outpath last night. It just came out and has 98% positive reviews out of 395 reviews so far. It’s a clicker/base building game with some really interesting elements. The main gist is that you have to break objects to obtain resources, use those resources to upgrade items and build new stuff, and eventually start to expand the island you start on and automate resource collecting. I haven’t played a clicker game before besides Cookie Clicker which is kind of a meme game after the initial appeal is gone. Outpath is surprisingly good, but needs more updates to the game. The demo also feels like maybe it hasn’t been updated as frequently as the base game, as I did encounter a few bugs no one else seemed to talk about. I may get the full game, it’s a good fun mindless game when you want something relaxing to play. I turned the brightness down to 25% though as I was playing in a dark room and it nearly melted my eyeballs when it first opened.

Something like this would make this game not being a number 1 PC game like PCG voted. I cant begin to count how many games would be found in my unfinished pile because of this.

So far I don't really see why it's so highly rated. I almost gave up when I lost an hour of progress. Even after I realized it would only take a couple of minutes if I skipped through all the dialogue I only got back to it because I didn't have anything better to do.

I played the demo for Outpath last night. It just came out and has 98% positive reviews out of 395 reviews so far. It’s a clicker/base building game with some really interesting elements. The main gist is that you have to break objects to obtain resources, use those resources to upgrade items and build new stuff, and eventually start to expand the island you start on and automate resource collecting. I haven’t played a clicker game before besides Cookie Clicker which is kind of a meme game after the initial appeal is gone. Outpath is surprisingly good, but needs more updates to the game. The demo also feels like maybe it hasn’t been updated as frequently as the base game, as I did encounter a few bugs no one else seemed to talk about. I may get the full game, it’s a good fun mindless game when you want something relaxing to play. I turned the brightness down to 25% though as I was playing in a dark room and it nearly melted my eyeballs when it first opened.

That reminds me of Forager, but with more automated resource collection.

I’ve seen it described as a mix of Minecraft, Forager and Refunct since it has climbing and wall running. It’s pretty neat, I’m gonna try the demo some more before buying it.
The game's description says it's a mix of Satifactory, Forager and clicker games, which is kind of appealing.

I've played one clicker game and enjoyed it, but I didn't plan on playing anymore. However, what really intrigues me about this game is that it isn't "free to play" and doesn't appear to have microtransactions, which may be a first for a clicker game. Think I'll give the demo a try.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts