November 2023 PCG Article Links and Discussion

Can’t find a November PCG article thread, but I have a few things to say about this:

The Bing rewards program is great if you’re the right type of person. I got sick of redownloaded Firefox each time I reinstalled Windows (at least once a year, sometimes twice), so a few years back I took the plunge and made Edge my default browser. It wasn’t a bad transition at all, especially since I use Edge as my main browser at work. I already had a Microsoft account I used for Xbox and Game Pass, so I thought why not and went all in on Edge. Then I started to use Bing more and now it’s my main search engine. I got tired of the Google ecosystem, so I traded that for the Microsoft ecosystem and it’s about the exact same performance and function wise. I have no gripes about Bing or Edge.

So, if you’re like me and use Edge and Bing primarily, the rewards program is pretty neat. You can knock out all points available within 15-20 minutes a day. You get a ton of things on the Rewards page where they basically just ask you to click a link to Bing, and once a day there is a poll and a quiz, all of which gives you points. Then you can do 30 searches on Bing browser for an extra 150 points daily, and again on Mobile. You can exploit it by just typing 1, hitting enter, and repeating until you have thirty 1’s in the search bar. That works for me. Then there is the Xbox app on your phone, which you can get a few points from and play a bejeweled clone built into the Xbox mobile app for even more points.

It all sounds tedious, but I’ve been doing it for a year and it’s second nature to me to take a little bit of time out to collect these points. So far I’ve bought PC Game Pass twice for 7500 points and currently have enough to get GP Ultimate for 12000. Not many people will be dedicated to so all of this because it is a lot and a bit annoying when you lose your daily streak, but I can usually get PC game pass once a month if I stick to it. You can also redeem for other rewards like gift cards or donate to charity, but truthfully I only care about Game Pass.

Me neither, so congrats, you just made it :)

Zed, shout if it's hiding somewhere and we'll merge the two.
You know, I specifically remember finding an article and pasting it into a post to start that thread, but apparently I never actually posted it. ADHD strikes again.

Epic claims a 15 percent market share. That's complete BS. They are including something fishy in that, like the cost of freebies or maybe fortnite microtransactions. I guarantee they aren't selling 15 percent of digital PC games. I'd stake Brian's life on it.

Zloth

Community Contributor

OK, not actually what this article is proposing but just going off the headline.... This is how we can get @Brian Boru into Metal Gear Solid 5! No more worries about him falling asleep in the opening section or in the later (and much worse) jeep ride, because he's ALREADY asleep!

Can’t find a November PCG article thread, but I have a few things to say about this:

The Bing rewards program is great if you’re the right type of person. I got sick of redownloaded Firefox each time I reinstalled Windows (at least once a year, sometimes twice), so a few years back I took the plunge and made Edge my default browser. It wasn’t a bad transition at all, especially since I use Edge as my main browser at work. I already had a Microsoft account I used for Xbox and Game Pass, so I thought why not and went all in on Edge. Then I started to use Bing more and now it’s my main search engine. I got tired of the Google ecosystem, so I traded that for the Microsoft ecosystem and it’s about the exact same performance and function wise. I have no gripes about Bing or Edge.

So, if you’re like me and use Edge and Bing primarily, the rewards program is pretty neat. You can knock out all points available within 15-20 minutes a day. You get a ton of things on the Rewards page where they basically just ask you to click a link to Bing, and once a day there is a poll and a quiz, all of which gives you points. Then you can do 30 searches on Bing browser for an extra 150 points daily, and again on Mobile. You can exploit it by just typing 1, hitting enter, and repeating until you have thirty 1’s in the search bar. That works for me. Then there is the Xbox app on your phone, which you can get a few points from and play a bejeweled clone built into the Xbox mobile app for even more points.

It all sounds tedious, but I’ve been doing it for a year and it’s second nature to me to take a little bit of time out to collect these points. So far I’ve bought PC Game Pass twice for 7500 points and currently have enough to get GP Ultimate for 12000. Not many people will be dedicated to so all of this because it is a lot and a bit annoying when you lose your daily streak, but I can usually get PC game pass once a month if I stick to it. You can also redeem for other rewards like gift cards or donate to charity, but truthfully I only care about Game Pass.

I'd never heard of Microsoft points before. Apparently I have a whopping 166 of them.

The whole thing reminds me of those somewhat sketchy sites where you can get points for looking at ads and filling out questionnaires, which you can redeem for actual money. However, each ad/questionnaire gave you like 10 cents at most, so it's basically like a terrible job that pays less than minimal wage.

Epic claims a 15 percent market share. That's complete BS. They are including something fishy in that, like the cost of freebies or maybe fortnite microtransactions. I guarantee they aren't selling 15 percent of digital PC games. I'd stake Brian's life on it.

I don't think it would be significantly less than 15% though. I think I play about 50% of the time through Epic myself nowadays, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of (young) people that don't have a large Steam library now use Epic as their main store because of all the freebies they gave away.

I'd never heard of Microsoft points before. Apparently I have a whopping 166 of them.

The whole thing reminds me of those somewhat sketchy sites where you can get points for looking at ads and filling out questionnaires, which you can redeem for actual money. However, each ad/questionnaire gave you like 10 cents at most, so it's basically like a terrible job that pays less than minimal wage.

I don't think it would be significantly less than 15% though. I think I play about 50% of the time through Epic myself nowadays, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of (young) people that don't have a large Steam library now use Epic as their main store because of all the freebies they gave away.
But you don't buy games, so your 50% is actually 0%. I'm just picking on you, but I bet the overwhelming majority of Fortnite players have never bought a game on Epic.

I don't actually know the answer, of course, and 15 percent is not a high number, so maybe you are correct. If Epic allowed users to write user reviews, we'd at least have something to go on, which is probably one reason they don't allow it, besides the other reason that Sweeney said, which was that he didn't want to hear what players thought.

You can't use metacritic comparisons because Epic players have nowhere else to go, but it seems odd to me that PC Builder Simulator has 36000 Steam reviews and PC Builder Simulator 2 has 37 on metacritic. The first one only had about 80, though, but it's clear that Steam users don't use metacritic. They use Steam instead, and that's not an option for Epic users, so I would expect many more.

So, yeah, I have no idea, but it seems high to me. I know (or know of) a lot of young gamers through my kids and nephews, and I've never met anyone who uses Epic. Guido has a PC gaming group he hangs out with on Friday nights, and they are all Steam users, but none of them seem to play Fortnite, so maybe it's an odd group kind of like the people on here form an odd group.

Why are people complaining? Do you know what sane people do when asked to buy a $22 skin? They don't buy it. If we had enough of these sane people, the next skin would cost significantly less. It's just like the Total War DLC, which is a freaking bargain compared to this. But people complained and then bought the DLC. THAT DOESN'T WORK. They couldn't care less how much you complain if you still send them your money. They want to be rich much more than they want you to be happy.

Why are people complaining? Do you know what sane people do when asked to buy a $22 skin? They don't buy it. If we had enough of these sane people, the next skin would cost significantly less. It's just like the Total War DLC, which is a freaking bargain compared to this. But people complained and then bought the DLC. THAT DOESN'T WORK. They couldn't care less how much you complain if you still send them your money. They want to be rich much more than they want you to be happy.
People really don’t vote with their wallet and it shows when $22 skins become a thing. Companies wouldn’t dare try that if there wasn’t anyone to actually buy them, but there definitely are people buying them since they released it. Diablo 4 wouldn’t have $35 and $40 skins if they knew no one would buy them.

People really don’t vote with their wallet and it shows when $22 skins become a thing. Companies wouldn’t dare try that if there wasn’t anyone to actually buy them, but there definitely are people buying them since they released it. Diablo 4 wouldn’t have $35 and $40 skins if they knew no one would buy them.
The problem is that people do vote with their wallet and enough of them keep voting in favour of these systems.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Why are people complaining? Do you know what sane people do when asked to buy a $22 skin? They don't buy it.
That's something I mentioned on the Dead or Alive forums many, many times. I would say things like "buying all the costume DLC in this game then complaining about the cost is like walking into a clothing store, buying every outfit they have, and complaining about the cost." It didn't help. Some people have it in their head that, if you don't get EVERYTHING, then you don't have the "full game." <shrug>
True for all the ones I've seen... but I could see some companies putting extra expensive skins out there just to make it look like the other skins are good deals.

I knew I should have sent that email offering $2.

My multi-great grandad was only able to come up with a $6m offer for Alaska—bummer, would've made a great Irish province, those polar bears are like Munster rugby players.

The $10m offer for Louisiana earlier on wasn't even close—greedy French, merde :( And of course Spain wouldn't give us Florida either—greedy Spaniards, mierda :(
Not all bad tho, we avoided having to deal with the likes of Kentucky. Phew, there's a reason the Jelly is named for that state.

Some subsequently-nice businesses were sold for $1 or similar at some point:
Barings bank in 1995
Chelsea Football Club in 1982
Lotus Formula 1 Team in 2015
Newsweek in 2010
Reader's Digest in 2014
Rover cars for £10 in 2000

I know Zed is keeping his eyes peeled for the $1 offer for Epic Games Store in 2025!

My multi-great grandad was only able to come up with a $6m offer for Alaska—bummer, would've made a great Irish province, those polar bears are like Munster rugby players.

The $10m offer for Louisiana earlier on wasn't even close—greedy French, merde :( And of course Spain wouldn't give us Florida either—greedy Spaniards, mierda :(
It was for the best. The US would have just pried them out of your cold, dead fingers eventually.

And WTH would Ireland have done with Alaska? Kind of makes me laugh.

US would have just pried them out of your cold, dead fingers eventually

Nice try. Try telling the local Ryans and McCarthys that they didn't grab it all by stealth!

WTH would Ireland have done with Alaska?

The warmest wool coats in the world would've come from Alaskan sheep—a cross between our guys and aforementioned polar bears.

Oh, and extra-cold Guinness.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS