Bethesda made an oopsie...again.

So, Bethesda made a lackluster update to Fallout 4 that destroys tons of mods compatibility. All for what? So they can squeeze in some more cash because of the Fallout series? https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fallo...-saves-and-doesnt-seem-to-change-much-at-all/ goes in a little more about the subject and some parts as to what it is poor. The comments field does not praise the update either, most share the similar opinion that I do. Not to mention the upcoming and amazing looking Fallout: London mod might not happen for a loooong time because of it and they were just about to release. Just a tiny shred of communication might have prevented this from turning into a shait storm, but nooo, we can't communicate with our modding community, no, no, no.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpqMftkTteo&t=419s

Last edited:
I honestly don't think Bethesda screwed up here. The Fallout: London developers knew about the update before they released, so they could push the release back until the mods they depend on are updated. Which is what they would have done if they knew about the update earlier anyway.

And from what I gather the update isn't lackluster in general, it adds quite a lot for the console versions. It's just the PC version that doesn't gain much from it, but it doesn't make sense not to update the PC version just because it breaks mods.

I honestly don't think Bethesda screwed up here. The Fallout: London developers knew about the update before they released, so they could push the release back until the mods they depend on are updated. Which is what they would have done if they knew about the update earlier anyway.
They didn't know about the update (why it is postponed), which is why this is such a bad update for the modding team(s). The lack of communication made this a problem. https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fallo...-for-a-lack-of-a-better-term-screwed-us-over/
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L71cZvASvAE

And from what I gather the update isn't lackluster in general, it adds quite a lot for the console versions. It's just the PC version that doesn't gain much from it, but it doesn't make sense not to update the PC version just because it breaks mods.
The modding community is huge, as Fallout London is an example of. The script extender that almost all mods rely on has to be updated, which means that this is a widespread problem for most PC users who use different mods. Bethesda could have avoided this easily, but they didn't and now the modding community is hurting because of it, the same community who loves their games and put their heart and souls into making them better.

Reactions: Brian Boru
They didn't know about the update (why it is postponed), which is why this is such a bad update for the modding team(s). The lack of communication made this a problem.

The next gen update was planned for 2023 and had been delayed to 2024, so it's not like it just appeared out of the blue with no warning whatsoever.

The modding community is huge, as Fallout London is an example of. The script extender that almost all mods rely on has to be updated, which means that this is a widespread problem for most PC users who use different mods. Bethesda could have avoided this easily, but they didn't and now the modding community is hurting because of it, the same community who loves their games and put their heart and souls into making them better.

I don't think it could've been easily avoided unless Bethesda delayed the release of the patch by weeks or even months, as it seems it's going to take a while before the script extender will be updated. Which doesn't make sense for Bethesda to do if most of their players don't use mods and they want to cash in on the increased popularity of the game right now. And I don't think it should be expected of developers to work around the schedules of third party modders anyway, though it's nice if they do work together.

The patch being broken and also not fixing stuff that has long been fixed by mods however...

Reactions: Brian Boru
The next gen update was planned for 2023 and had been delayed to 2024, so it's not like it just appeared out of the blue with no warning whatsoever.
Seeing that it arrived very close to the mod's release, I'd say there was little the modding team could have done to prevent it with the lack of communication with Bethesda. Bethesda has worked with several modders before, so a slight bit of transparency would have been fruitful. This goes both ways for that sake as I assume the modding team would have at least tried to contact them on several occasions.
I don't think it could've been easily avoided unless Bethesda delayed the release of the patch by weeks or even months, as it seems it's going to take a while before the script extender will be updated. Which doesn't make sense for Bethesda to do if most of their players don't use mods and they want to cash in on the increased popularity of the game right now. And I don't think it should be expected of developers to work around the schedules of third party modders anyway, though it's nice if they do work together.

The patch being broken and also not fixing stuff that has long been fixed by mods however...
They would not have to delay the release, they could have just helped out the modders. They don't need to, but if we have learned anything from companies like Larian Studios, it kind of helps being honest and helpful to your community.

Zloth

Community Contributor
It's quite easy to have our cake and eat it these days on Steam, at least with single player games. Just right click on the game's library entry check the betas tab, and see if the previous versions are listed there. Games with strong modding communities have been pulling that little trick on Steam's beta testing system for many years now.

Did Bethesda do that?

I know almost nothing about modding apart from the fact that they add things to enhance a game.

The only mod i have ever used was on my first playthrough of satisfactory , the mod was called 100+ milestones and had as much stuff in it as the main game. All went well until satisfactory got a major update and when i loaded the game up all the new new machines , conveyors and other items that i had got from the 100+ milestones had vanished. I decided that it was too big a job to workout where all the belts needed to be so i removed the milestones mod and the left over registry entries.

The only so called sympathy i got from other players was ha ha ha you should have known that games break mods ......... well guess what folks i did not know that.

It’s just so unneeded for PC players. Great for console players of course, but completely unnecessary on PC. They should have just made the Creation mods free to redeem in the shop rather than force the files into an update and let players choose if they want it or not.

I haven’t gotten around to playing it myself, but my good long time Steam friend has been playing it for about 2 weeks prior to the update up until now. His words are that it’s not as bad as everyone is making it out to be besides mods breaking but that will be taken care of in the next couple of days if not weeks. It is a totally boneheaded move by Bethesda, no denying that, but there are some people especially on YouTube comments making it seem like the end of the world. Bethesda just did NOT think this through at all.

TRENDING THREADS