August 2023 PC Gamer Article Links and Discussion

Well deserved. A few people have reported performance issues, and I've encountered a couple of bugs (fell through the map while riding in a dumbwaiter and there was a time when I couldn't see the enemies (and they weren't supposed to be invisible), but it's a very clean game overall, and absolutely a blast to play. When I die, I'm frustrated with myself, not the game.

It's certainly getting good reviews, looks far better than the first, and apparently they've fixed the combat to be more player friendly. I mean it even looks like it performs well, which in itself deserves high praise for a procedurally generated UE5 game with so many complex effects.

My only problem is these types of games have little to no story and tons of repetition. I may be tempted when it hits the bargain bin though.

It's certainly getting good reviews, looks far better than the first, and apparently they've fixed the combat to be more player friendly. I mean it even looks like it performs well, which in itself deserves high praise for a procedurally generated UE5 game with so many complex effects.

My only problem is these types of games have little to no story and tons of repetition. I may be tempted when it hits the bargain bin though.
It's not actually procedurally generated. It's human made levels randomized. Kind of hard to explain. And there is zero repetition in these games. That's one of the things that makes them so amazing. Something new around every corner.

The first game was great, too. That's why the second one took off the way it did. Anyone who played the first one was excited to get their hands on a sequel.

It's not actually procedurally generated. It's human made levels randomized. Kind of hard to explain. And there is zero repetition in these games. That's one of the things that makes them so amazing. Something new around every corner.

The first game was great, too. That's why the second one took off the way it did. Anyone who played the first one was excited to get their hands on a sequel.

Well, I watched this video where the devs claim otherwise. They explain just how procedural generation is used in the game, and as well that it was also used in the first game, but more so in R 2.

By repetition I'm not talking about the world you play in or the storyline you're on, I'm talking about the non stop horde/boss killing combat aspect, which quite frankly started getting old about 15 min into their 23 min extended gameplay video I watched.

Of course one doesn't know for sure until they play it. Sometimes because many gameplay trailers make use of a short span of time to pack in lots of action, they don't show any exploring for secrets, or puzzling through terrain. I just assumed I guess that this type game wouldn't be that fleshed out, but I'm kind of hoping I'm wrong on that.

As far as the first one goes, I read that it was fairly buggy and unforgiving, so it sounded unappealing to me for those reasons.

Last edited:

I never paid much attention to Sim Settlements 2 (or 1 for that matter) as I like to use modded resources and build my own structures, but apparently you can still do that with SS2. But the most impressive thing is the production value of the main quest that is part of SS2.

I never even considered it had any major questline, but if you watch that video in the article, it's extremely impressive and looks as professional as anything in the base game. I'm going to try this out the next time I get to FO4.
View: https://youtu.be/YNnDrb6KUmI

Well, I watched this video where the devs claim otherwise. They explain just how procedural generation is used in the game, and as well that it was also used in the first game, but more so in R 2.

By repetition I'm not talking about the world you play in or the storyline you're on, I'm talking about the non stop horde/boss killing combat aspect, which quite frankly started getting old about 15 min into their 23 min extended gameplay video I watched.

Of course one doesn't know for sure until they play it. Sometimes because many gameplay trailers make use of a short span of time to pack in lots of action, they don't show any exploring for secrets, or puzzling through terrain. I just assumed I guess that this type game wouldn't be that fleshed out, but I'm kind of hoping I'm wrong on that.

As far as the first one goes, I read that it was fairly buggy and unforgiving, so it sounded unappealing to me for those reasons.

You are misunderstanding what they mean by procedural generation, and what the level designer is saying in that video. They hand designed levels and level sections and procedural generation puts them together in different ways each time you play. The human level design is one of the strongest parts of the game. What she means by procedural story is that each level has it's own story to it and connects to the main story-line in a different way, so your map generation will have different stories to it than someone else's.

And, yes, there is a lot of combat. I would say the biggest feature is exploration and environmental puzzle solving (something that couldn't be done with pure procedural generation). There is a little story in just about each area, but it certainly isn't a narrative focused game by any means. However, what narrative they do have is much better than your average game story.

But the game, as fanstastic as it is, is very difficult, and I wouldn't recommend it to you if you are playing solo without seeing how you play in a shooter other than Resident Evil games. It's much, much harder than those.

I never paid much attention to Sim Settlements 2 (or 1 for that matter) as I like to use modded resources and build my own structures, but apparently you can still do that with SS2. But the most impressive thing is the production value of the main quest that is part of SS2.

I never even considered it had any major questline, but if you watch that video in the article, it's extremely impressive and looks as professional as anything in the base game. I'm going to try this out the next time I get to FO4.
View: https://youtu.be/YNnDrb6KUmI
I abandoned my latest FO4 game when I became obsessed with colony sims, so maybe I need to check that mod out, as well.

I find the building part of settlements the most annoying part, as the UI is just too terrible to work with in my opinion. Maybe having settlements build themselves will make it more rewarding to invest in them, so I'll keep this mod in mind for my next playthrough.

The only thing this drama is doing to me is actually making me want to try one of these mr. beast burgers, there are none within 100 miles (160km) of me.

Remnant 2 deserves the acclaim it is getting. Ive already expressed how i feel in the shooters general discussion thread, but i want to add here that the game has some fun/tough puzzles after encountering a couple since talking about it last. I am also in love with some of the weapon designs. I love this smg like pistol gun that is made out of revolving bricks.

You are misunderstanding what they mean by procedural generation, and what the level designer is saying in that video. They hand designed levels and level sections and procedural generation puts them together in different ways each time you play. The human level design is one of the strongest parts of the game. What she means by procedural story is that each level has it's own story to it and connects to the main story-line in a different way, so your map generation will have different stories to it than someone else's.

And, yes, there is a lot of combat. I would say the biggest feature is exploration and environmental puzzle solving (something that couldn't be done with pure procedural generation). There is a little story in just about each area, but it certainly isn't a narrative focused game by any means. However, what narrative they do have is much better than your average game story.

But the game, as fanstastic as it is, is very difficult, and I wouldn't recommend it to you if you are playing solo without seeing how you play in a shooter other than Resident Evil games. It's much, much harder than those.

I'm not misunderstanding anything, and need I remind you it's quite often you whom misjudges the knowledge of those you engage in arguments with. I'm fully aware procedural generation has evolved over the years, and thus it's definition has broadened to include random texture content, such as segments of the game world that dynamically change, as well as storylines. Hell, I pretty much implied I knew that when I said I wasn't talking about the world you play in or storylines regarding repetition. I further pointed out the dev in the video explains that, so how you could assume I don't know how procedural generation works in the game is odd.

I may be 65 Zed, but I'm no dummy, and at least I'm not waffling between saying the game doesn't use PG, then admitting it does as if you weren't wrong about that yourself. And splitting hairs about PG's actual definition just makes it worse IMO. A game either has PG or it doesn't, regardless of how PG is used in the game, it makes no sense to say it doesn't have it if it uses it in ANY way, especially if the way it uses it is what sets the game apart from other titles.

Anyway, bickering aside, I'm not sure any puzzling it has would make up for the constant horde/boss repetition, and most reviews I've seen of it say the story is basically a far fetched plant based beings trying to take over the multiverse scenario that is not well told and vague. And the multiverse theory is not in line with my core beliefs btw. I also thought it was weird one possible world it takes you to has robot enemies, not plants. And yes, I play all my games solo and I wasn't counting on the gameplay being as easy as the solo play parts of the trailer make it look. It seems they are stretching the "ease" with which they say certain archetypes can make the game.

So, in summary, this looks like a sort of Hard Reset type game, and that was made by People Can Fly whom made the mindless horde game Painkiller. And before you assume I'm obtuse again, I KNOW this game has more than HR, but IMO that doesn't make up for what it has in common with it. I used to be into games like Painkiller and Serious Sam when I first started gaming, but they bore me anymore. I need something more tactical that involves AI that can more closely mimic humans instead of acting invincible. I don't want weapon and buff choices to be the only strategy.

Last edited:
bickering aside
Excellent suggestion, let's go that route fellas :)

I used to be into games like Painkiller and Serious Sam when I first started gaming, but they bore me anymore. I need something more tactical that involves AI that can more closely mimic humans instead of acting invincible. I don't want weapon and buff choices to be the only strategy.
For whatever reason, I never got into the invincible melee class of shooters—I only put a few hours into Doom & Quake before dropping 'em, while of course acknowledging their excellence within their sub-genre.

While I'm nowhere near your skill level, I too need the interesting tactical puzzles in preference to relying on BFGs.

Last edited:

For whatever reason, I never got into the invincible melee class of shooters—I only put a few hours into Doom & Quake before dropping 'em, while of course acknowledging their excellence within their sub-genre.

While I'm nowhere near your skill level, I too need the interesting tactical puzzles in preference to relying on BFGs.

Yeah and lets not kid ourselves, no matter how dynamic and random the storylines and maps are, they are still putting WAY less work into AI that can only come strait at the player like a mindless horde. In fact AI scripting is one of the more time consuming and laborious parts of making SP games, and quite often the reason many devs prefer to make MP games. They take more play testing too.

And apologies to the staff, Zed, and other forum members if I read too much into the intentions of the reply I responded to above. To be honest I've not been getting much sleep lately due to continuing problems where I live. No offense intended, and I'm sorry if anyone took it otherwise. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
I'm not misunderstanding anything, and need I remind you it's quite often you whom misjudges the knowledge of those you engage in arguments with. I'm fully aware procedural generation has evolved over the years, and thus it's definition has broadened to include random texture content, such as segments of the game world that dynamically change, as well as storylines. Hell, I pretty much implied I knew that when I said I wasn't talking about the world you play in or storylines regarding repetition. I further pointed out the dev in the video explains that, so how you could assume I don't know how procedural generation works in the game is odd.

I may be 65 Zed, but I'm no dummy, and at least I'm not waffling between saying the game doesn't use PG, then admitting it does as if you weren't wrong about that yourself. And splitting hairs about PG's actual definition just makes it worse IMO. A game either has PG or it doesn't, regardless of how PG is used in the game, it makes no sense to say it doesn't have it if it uses it in ANY way, especially if the way it uses it is what sets the game apart from other titles.

Anyway, bickering aside, I'm not sure any puzzling it has would make up for the constant horde/boss repetition, and most reviews I've seen of it say the story is basically a far fetched plant based beings trying to take over the multiverse scenario that is not well told and vague. And the multiverse theory is not in line with my core beliefs btw. I also thought it was weird one possible world it takes you to has robot enemies, not plants. And yes, I play all my games solo and I wasn't counting on the gameplay being as easy as the solo play parts of the trailer make it look. It seems they are stretching the "ease" with which they say certain archetypes can make the game.

So, in summary, this looks like a sort of Hard Reset type game, and that was made by People Can Fly whom made the mindless horde game Painkiller. And before you assume I'm obtuse again, I KNOW this game has more than HR, but IMO that doesn't make up for what it has in common with it. I used to be into games like Painkiller and Serious Sam when I first started gaming, but they bore me anymore. I need something more tactical that involves AI that can more closely mimic humans instead of acting invincible. I don't want weapon and buff choices to be the only strategy.

He's the only one bickering. :ROFLMAO: And, frankly, I'm a little tired of being accused of bickering when it's only the other person. I haven't posted in anger since right after I came back in January. This post is not posted in anger, either. I'm just pointing out the situation. I would like to escape my old reputation as a hot head if you would let me.:giggle:

There are many types of procedural generation, and Mr Old Man Yelling at Clouds :LOL: definitely implied a different type of procedural generation in his original post by calling it a procedurally generated UE5 game, which it is not. That would imply that the game is creating graphics on the fly when all it is doing is pulling a number out of a hat and placing human made sections down in different orders.(y)

Frag, I do not underestimate anyone's intelligence because I'm probably the least intelligent person here. There are many things that I don't understand, and I assume that holds true for others, so if I explain something, I'm not saying you aren't intelligent. As someone who has to have things explained to him quite frequently, I just see it as normal. I will, however, assume that you know everything going forward so as not to anger you. Consider this an apology. ❤️

I emoji'd this up since everyone seems to need to have some sort of picture to properly gauge my mood. I clearly need to be a better writer. 😀

He's the only one bickering. :ROFLMAO: And, frankly, I'm a little tired of being accused of bickering when it's only the other person. I haven't posted in anger since right after I came back in January. This post is not posted in anger, either. I'm just pointing out the situation. I would like to escape my old reputation as a hot head if you would let me.:giggle:

There are many types of procedural generation, and Mr Old Man Yelling at Clouds :LOL: definitely implied a different type of procedural generation in his original post by calling it a procedurally generated UE5 game, which it is not. That would imply that the game is creating graphics on the fly when all it is doing is pulling a number out of a hat and placing human made sections down in different orders.(y)

Frag, I do not underestimate anyone's intelligence because I'm probably the least intelligent person here. There are many things that I don't understand, and I assume that holds true for others, so if I explain something, I'm not saying you aren't intelligent. As someone who has to have things explained to him quite frequently, I just see it as normal. I will, however, assume that you know everything going forward so as not to anger you. Consider this an apology. ❤️

I emoji'd this up since everyone seems to need to have some sort of picture to properly gauge my mood. I clearly need to be a better writer. 😀

For all intents and purposes though, the parts they are emphasizing most, which seem to be the primary selling points of the game, ARE procedurally generated. I KNOW PG started out as a process that creates graphics as you progress through the game, or "on the fly" as you say. That was done originally to make large world games more efficient performance wise than anything, which is clearly not the case here. That's why I exemplified above the different ways it can be used.

The confusion seems to have come from your reading too much into my saying it's a procedurally generated game, which to anyone who's followed PG's evolution can mean many things now a days, not just graphics rendered "on the fly".

Anyway, no need for further bickering, and I'd appreciate it if you resist implying I'm asking you (or anyone here) to treat me like I "know everything", as that just seems passive aggressive to me. "Hot head" reps are not always an easy thing to escape though, so I'm not expecting that process to be easy. Making that work has to come mostly from the one doing the rehabbing though.

Point being, if you're really sincere about changing your ways, you wouldn't be so damned pedantic, especially since you say you are far from the smartest one here! To truly be pedantic though you have to be correcting someone, not just misinterpreting them. You didn't correct anything, and Brian said "fellas" plural for a reason, you do tend to plant a bad seed, then water it!

Now you have me thinking I shouldn't have apologized in the first place, because I didn't really do anything to warrant one.

Last edited:
Here's a PC Gamer link:

How does the fact that Americans know less about Europe than Europeans (his dumb little sci-fi show) have anything to do with dumbing down The Witcher? It's like saying that the British can't handle nuance and complexity because they don't fully understand feudal Japan.

What this really makes me want to do is pull out all those Polish jokes from the 70s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this link will survive the next issue of PCG Newsletter, so screenie below.

06HWq9n.png

15% over 10,000 :eek:

Not sure if this link will survive the next issue of PCG Newsletter, so screenie below.

06HWq9n.png

15% over 10,000 :eek:

Im not suprised by these stats. Some games have been on steam for over a decade and are still played reguarly (TF2) along with games that have been on steam for a decade now (CS GO, DOTA 2, POE etc) and are still huge success and live at the top of steam charts.

Destiny 2 has been on steam since oct of 2019 and im at about 6k hours (and thats having played next to nothing since june and not counting the hours ive put in destiny when it was on battlenet for almost 2 years before that) so if that were about a decade old, id easily sit over 10k in it.

Listening to sounds to beat security isn't anything new. So called acoustic cryptanalysis has been used since around the 1950s.

It isn't just sound that is a problem though. Your computer also leaks electromagnetic radiation which can give away what you're doing. Reading these electromagnetic emissions is called Van Eck phreaking and can (potentially) be done from hundreds of meters away.

As much as I love co-op, it's just really difficult to have the true RPG experience while playing with another person. I wouldn't mind seeing what Obsidian could do with a co-op RPG, but I'm glad that Avowed is single-player.

Remnant 2 and Dying Light 2 do a good job of telling their narratives to multiple players, but if you play with others, they are still your standard, hectic co-op experience rather than the immersive, RPG experience that you want from Obsidian.

Titan Quest 2 is in development by Grimlore Games. The original Titan Quest (2006) was a fun ARPG set in a world of ancient Greek Mythology. Gameplay was typical kill-loot-level up that most ARPGs have in common, but the Greek Mythology aspect was really fun at the time. (There's also a remaster version of the original TQ from 2016 available on Steam). Hopefully they'll avoid going with the "online only" route.

Also, the Steam page:

Titan Quest 2 is in development by Grimlore Games. The original Titan Quest (2006) was a fun ARPG set in a world of ancient Greek Mythology. Gameplay was typical kill-loot-level up that most ARPGs have in common, but the Greek Mythology aspect was really fun at the time. (There's also a remaster version of the original TQ from 2016 available on Steam). Hopefully they'll avoid going with the "online only" route.

Also, the Steam page:

I really liked that you got to pick two classes and pick skills from both skill trees to make builds, which I hadn't seen before in an ARPG. However, I couldn't get past how linear the game is after being used to the open world of Sacred.

TRENDING THREADS