January 2024 PCG Articles, Links and Discussions

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Im not arguing that devs take designs and stuff from other people, i mean Pokemon looks similar to Dragon Quest characters, when Dragons Quest was released in the 80s lol. Also, wanted to say that i just saw a video from the PCG article i attached below, the guys character looks exactly like MK 2 Raiden. If i personally liked a game i wouldnt care if its similar to this or similar to that, i like the current game im playing. But this game is too, i dunno, cutesy-pokemon-y for me to like its other systems, its just personal preference.

Pokemon/dragonquest side by side:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/19chvm3/palworld_is_ripping_off_pokemonooh_wait_that_is/

Well, its certainly not because of its originality imo lol. Im glad people like the game even though its something i wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole because of its similarity to pokemon, which i personally dont like, but glad to see this small dev with 2-3 other very small games make such a HUGE splash like it is...

I looked at some of the comparisons between Pals and Pokémon and I think it's pretty farfetched to call them copies. Both Palworld and Pokémon base their designs on real animals, so of course the ones based on the same animal are going to look similar to some degree. And since the developers of both games are Japanese they both have the same connotations for certain animals, so it makes sense they both have a fox with fire powers for example.

Holy moly thats a lot of jobs.

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-c...the-studios-survival-game-has-been-cancelled/

Spend 70 Billion, desperately need to save a couple million. Its a blood bath out there.

Is this kind of thing a show for shareholders? Look how financially responsible and 'agile' we are.

From what I understand there's been a lot of layoffs in general in the video game business because they all hired extra people during the covid lockdowns because people were spending more money on games, but since then spending has decreased again so they all need to scale back.

Which isn't to say it isn't also a show for their shareholders, but one that makes some sense considering their expected profits have gone down.

I looked at some of the comparisons between Pals and Pokémon and I think it's pretty farfetched to call them copies. Both Palworld and Pokémon base their designs on real animals, so of course the ones based on the same animal are going to look similar to some degree. And since the developers of both games are Japanese they both have the same connotations for certain animals, so it makes sense they both have a fox with fire powers for example.

I dont know man, some of them are pretty similar in a way I dont think can be explained like that side by side. Some of the chimera ones have features directly lifted.

I imagine the Pokemon company is pretty protective over the family friendly image of the Pokemon, and giving characters looking (IMO) very much the same guns and murdering them for resources, however much its presented as black humour they could easily see that as harmful to their brand image.

Whether they legally can do anything, based on US, Japanese, EU or any other law I wouldnt have a clue.

All above purely as a bystander I'll just reiterate I'm not taking any sides here, no attachment to Pokemon outside of playing too much Legends Arceus because my kid loved it, its an awful video game.
From what I understand there's been a lot of layoffs in general in the video game business because they all hired extra people during the covid lockdowns because people were spending more money on games, but since then spending has decreased again so they all need to scale back.

Which isn't to say it isn't also a show for their shareholders, but one that makes some sense considering their expected profits have gone down.
I know theres been a lot of layoffs generally in tech. I know I'm screaming at the capitalist clouds but its pretty disgusting to make actual billions in profits as Actiblizz Blizzard did, hand out bonuses to execs and dividends to shareholders and then fire people because they say they need to balance the books. Not to forget MS just spent 70 billion buying them up as well.

Last edited:
Is this kind of thing a show for shareholders? Look how financially responsible and 'agile' we are.

Ultimately yes, since there are so many tens of millions of shareholders in US—every public company has to act responsibly since the interests of the millions outweigh the interests of the thousands.

"158 million Americans, or 61% of U.S. adults, own stock"

"U.S. families held a median value of $52,000 in stocks"

its pretty disgusting

Not if you understand how the economic system works. The alternative is that those jobs would never have existed in the first place—so no clickbait headlines when a small percentage of them disappear temporarily. Is that preferable?

Last edited:
Reactions: neogunhero
Ultimately yes, since there are so many tens of millions of shareholders in US—every public company has to act responsibly since the interests of the millions outweigh the interests of the thousands.

"158 million Americans, or 61% of U.S. adults, own stock"

"U.S. families held a median value of $52,000 in stocks"

I dont buy for a second that corporations are looking after mom and pop. The demographics show most stock is owned by those who are already hugely wealthy, and the gap is only growing.

From your own link:

• The top 1% holds 54% of stocks, worth $19.16 trillion.
  • The bottom 50% of U.S. adults holds only 0.6% of stocks, worth $21 billion.

What do you think the stats are if you stretch that to the top 10%?

Its too political for a gaming forum. You had a shot and I took one, can we leave it there please ?

Lots of people lost their jobs, that's a real life altering consequence for them I thought worth mentioning.

Someone is salty they didn't come up with the Palworld idea:)

Lol! You know what though. I find it kinda suspicious that the devs of palworld knew they had such a good idea that they didnt need to include a cash shop of any sort and had enough resources in their account to support the number of players that they have. Seriously look at this devs history of games. 4 altogether.

So, hey if the people at that studio just had this idea, threw this stuff together and it was just loved, awesome! Thats a true success story, to go from what they were doing to just smashing all sorts of records in the gaming world but i wont be surprised in the least if there is more to this success story than we know outside of standard private information i guess.

i wont be surprised in the least if there is more to this success story than we know

It does stink, and the key will be whether or not the owners sue—if they don't, this is likely a huge marketing stunt, one of the best ever.

There may be disagreement among Pokémon's 3 owner companies re how to proceed—at a minimum, the ownership structure will require a lot of extra co-ordination to decide how to move forward, so it'll likely be slower than usual.

If this is let ride, look out for my new EA release in the autumn. I have more than enough screenshots to bring you Cry Far very quickly—which is what I'll tell any uppity company that challenges my ripoff.

Cry Far uses AI for character designs, care to comment?

Well yeah, is there another way? Merge screenies of 2 characters and hey presto! a new not-a-ripoff character! Probable villain will be mash of Pagan Min and Joseph Seed, known colloquially as The Daddy.

I was more looking forwards to Car Fry.

That's the one Zed's working on, but he's being more ambitious, trying to merge Forza and Diner Dash.

Cry Far, is that where we establish the evil empire on an island?

Wut? That sounds suspiciously like a bit of story :eek:
We don't need no stinkin' story.

villain will be mash of Pagan Min and Joseph Seed

That's coming along nicely…

I entered "mashup portrait of Far Cry villains Pagan Min and Joseph Seed, with a psychotic flair" and AI asked if it could improve my insipid prompt. I said 'Yes' and AI came up with:
"Create a striking composition depicting a macabre fusion of Pagan Min, the flamboyant and cunning tyrant from Far Cry, and Joseph Seed, the fiercely charismatic and psychotic cult leader, while emanating an aura of darkness, madness, and sinister power."

I must say, that's a pretty good prompt! Here's the WIP:

AKqWijx.png

I'm already thinking of the sequel Devil May Cry Far :D

• Haha
Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr

($h!tballs. Wrong thread)
[Mod edit: right thread now.]

I complained all last year about the lack of major survival games. I'm pretty happy now, and 2024 has a many more huge survival launches yet to come (a lot were delayed from last year and may actually be delayed into 2025).

When I checked SteamDB earlier, Enshrouded was in the top 10 in concurrent players behind Palworld, some free games, and the combined pirates, which isn't really a game, just a count of the people currently playing pirated copies of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's quite creative to term mediocrity as "creativity"—who did you copy that idea from?

I'm good at mediocre, so let's give it a shot:
"How dare people make the sort of game they want to play" <-- All my own work!

How did I do? Any chance of a moon on the Mediocre Walk of Shame?
You are confusing "standing on the shoulders of giants" with plagiarism. Without the former, humans wouldn't have gotten anywhere. Copying is a part of everything we do, from how babies learn to how scientific advancements are made. You copy, copy, copy, change. And that last step makes something new and beautiful. Do that for thousands of years and you end up going from hunting and gathering to robot sex dolls. Hey, we never said we were going in the right direction, just that we were going...

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts