June 2024 Game Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
The banana game on Steam is botted. Its obvious from its daily chart on steam, not enough swings, too many people stay online all the time.
That isn't natural, just look at almost any other game (apart from TF2).
Even popular ones.
I didn't even know about the clicker game but its taken over steam... botted to top. Attract attention... If you can't get an actual audience, just buy one and other people will join not knowing its fake. You can't tell as its single player.

devs know its botted... what they expect, it generates things you can sell on marketplace. Of course its botted.

Last edited:
Una peeling.

zCezFUd.png

Think I'm closing in on the final couple of hours of Skald, which is kind of surprising. I grant that this one is pretty short (think I'm at about 20 hours now), but most games don't hold my attention long enough to actually complete them, so Skald absolutely has that under its belt (assuming I get there.)

I am a bit tired of the combat by this point, I think. I often find myself putting the game in suspend whenever I reach a new fight, because I just don't feel like thinking it over. It's not that the fights are long and drawn out, they're actually quite quick, but I'm thinking my next game may be a visual novel or something else with less friction that I can mostly just read. I'm thinking I'll have to pick up Paradise Killer again.

I'm trying not to be so picky about graphics. Pixilated games aren't bad, but the games from the early 3D period are just butt-ugly. Here's a couple of pictures from Digimon World from 1999:

ss_fe455bbe5e3d876be318b7941a0e90ad75f74c9c.jpg

ss_50f61b78393f2511fa6faabc3a3efb58bc564178.jpg

Outdoor scenes are the worst. They are very minimally decorated with large spaces of nothing, and the mountains look ridiculous.

These are far from the worst offenders of the era. I just happened to be looking at this particular game.

I play a lot of indie games with not-so-great graphics, but these early 3D games are just about unbearable to me.

I felt like my nuzlocke attempt of Pokémon Infinite Fusion was a lot better than my regular playthrough, but it still involved far too much walking. I figured the game might be even better if you could just skip straight from encounter to encounter, maybe throw in some roguelite elements.

Turns out I'm not the first one who's had that thought and someone actually made it into a game, playable in your browser (even on phone):

You just get a string of encounters, most of them wild Pokémon you can catch with the occasional random or scripted trainer/gym encounter. After every encounter you get to choose one of three items and you can spend money on (extra) healing. After every ten encounters your entire party is fully healed. If your entire team is fainted you lose and have to restart.

At the start of every run you get to pick 3 Pokémon from all the Pokémon you've caught in previous runs and catching more of the same Pokémon allows you to upgrade them.

Most of my runs have stopped at the 25th encounter, against a scripted fight against your rival. However, I did make it to 95 once.

I'm trying not to be so picky about graphics. Pixilated games aren't bad, but the games from the early 3D period are just butt-ugly. Here's a couple of pictures from Digimon World from 1999:

ss_fe455bbe5e3d876be318b7941a0e90ad75f74c9c.jpg

ss_50f61b78393f2511fa6faabc3a3efb58bc564178.jpg

Outdoor scenes are the worst. They are very minimally decorated with large spaces of nothing, and the mountains look ridiculous.

These are far from the worst offenders of the era. I just happened to be looking at this particular game.

I play a lot of indie games with not-so-great graphics, but these early 3D games are just about unbearable to me.

Since I started getting more invested in playing retro games several years ago, honestly, most of it doesn't bother me. One of the most recent that I played was Gothic a couple of months ago; it's not amazing, the environments are fairly bland, with minimal decoration (it's all mostly outdoor), but once you slide into the mentality and remember that the games are still fun, you kind of stop worrying about. Not stop noticing it, but just stop worrying and play the game.

I've finished Skald: Against the Black Priory and damn, what a great game. I so rarely finish games these days, most just don't hold my attention for very long or I find some little annoying issue or I get bored of their essential gameplay loops, but Skald just kept me coming back. The combat was fun enough and I really wanted to see how the story resolved, which I ended-up finding quite satisfying. The writing was ok, there were a lot of weird errors and bad wording for things ("A tremor shakes the ground and you fall to the ground."), but the writer clearly had a vision and that really comes through in how the story plays out. I also very much appreciate how the story ended; I won't throw out spoilers, but I thought it ended exactly as it should.

The final battle ended-up quite easy, as my party of 6 was equal level with the final boss and even with all its buffs, it couldn't hold-up to the sheer damage my party could put out, but that was fine by me. The combat in the game is pretty good, but I was definitely over it by the end and just eager to see the story finished out, so it often felt like combat was getting in the way of what I wanted to do.

I'm not a huge fan of rating systems, so I'll just give the game a Thumbs Up and say that it was worth playing if you like RPG's with turn based combat and a solid story. At the end I got 26-hours out of it and this was me playing at my usual slow pace and exploring everything I could; I ultimately only missed two achievements, which is saying something, given I'm not an achievement hunter and don't do anything solely to get one.

After a couple of losses in PokéRogue, I managed to get to the 90th encounter before getting beaten by a gym leader with crazy fast Pokémon. And I thought my Pokémon were already pretty fast.

Speed is really important, as you simply don't get enough money to keep your Pokémon healed if you get hit every encounter. You need your Pokémon to go first and preferably one-hit KO the opponent every time.

Though I now have a team that has some lifestealing attacks, which makes getting hit a lot less of a problem.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I've been replaying Elden Ring from the beginning to give myself a fresh entrance to SotE (truthfully I never found Mohg in my first playthrough) and going through the game for a second time has really made me appreciate it so much more. I've learned so much and have made my path easier in some ways, and it also gives me a greater appreciation for the design of the game as a whole. The world is incredibly crafted and the encounters are memorable from the first playthrough but even more exciting seeing them again somehow.

I don't have any but I bet some of you have too many

That's just a fluff piece.

♣ It is not reasonable to assume that private accounts are the same as the 10% public ones they use for their calc. If someone makes the extra effort to make their account private—I assume public is default?—then they are more likely to make greater effort in other areas, eg playing their games.

♦ If I understand correctly, they're using MSRP to do the calc, in which case their number will be grossly overstated—ignoring all the sales and bundle purchases, plus gifts from friends etc.

♥ When did Steam start recording gameplay activity? If I recall correctly, it wasn't from the start, which again inflates their number.

I was having a great run in PokéRogue, I even beat the rival at the scripted 95th encounter, beating my previous record.

However, fights against trainers are still a big problem. Their AI is pretty decent, so they will switch out their Pokémon if they're in an unfavourable matchup and you don't get free switches, unlike against wild Pokémon where you can choose which Pokémon to send out before the battle. So you're pretty much guaranteed to take some hits. If their Pokémon are faster than yours it's even worse, because there's a good chance your Pokémon will faint before even getting in a single hit, especially if they were already wounded before the battle.

My run ended at encounter 114, when I encountered 3 trainers in a row, two of which had a full team of 6 Pokémon.

I have plenty of unplayed games. But shame about it? Never. It's a library that I can browse and play when I'm in a mood for something particular.

I still buy games, I'm just more judicious these days, though still not perfect.

EVERYWHERE Creators Beta

I got access into the EVERYWHERE Creators Beta, just by signing up and doing a survey. I think anyone could get access easily. EVERYWHERE is a sandbox game that is going to rely heavily on User Generated Content (UGC). The simplest way to describe it is mix together Roblox and Fortnite and you have EVERYWHERE. It’s an interesting concept, as it seems to be going directly after their competitors rather than growing naturally into that sort of community ecosystem like Fortnite and Roblox did. Everywhere is diving head first into custom content.

They offer some pretty nice tools in their building suite. Stuff from the basic level editor, game mode creator, and Stamp feature which allows you to create “dupes” of something you built and upload it for people to easily use. Then there are some more advanced tools like logic and custom rulesets among many others. The idea is that they want players to create custom maps and gamemodes without needing knowledge on how to code. You can make anything from a cart racing game, to a PVE co-op game fighting against NPCs, or even PVP modes.

The concept is very interesting and exciting to me. I was never big into Roblox or Fortnite, but I have played them and been impressed at what the community can create. In terms of games like this, I was much more into Garry’s Mod, even creating some levels and dupes myself. Everywhere’s Stamp tool is just like Garry’s Mods’ Save and Dupe tools where you can build something like a custom made vehicle or a mechanical machine, save the whole thing as one asset, upload it and allow anyone to download and use it within their own creations. This is really cool and will help making custom content a lot easier when you can rely on the community to have made something that you can use already. The problem is… it doesn’t work right now.

This beta has been extremely rocky which is of course expected, but many basic features are currently not working at all. When starting the game, you are thrown into Utropia City which is a massive social hub to meet other players and join custom games easily. In the city there are portals to custom made content, so far mainly made by the devs and other high profile modders, but you can also access a menu to search and browse all custom maps+gamemodes, these are called ARCs. The menu is completely blank and nothing loads up so you are forced to play the few in the social hub. A lot of these games require at least 2 players, and the issue with that if you don’t have friends to play with is that there is barely anyone ever in the hub. I’ve met a few people on the first few days of launch, but since then I have not seen anyone else to try to chat up and play with.

The building tools have similar problems. You can’t look up any Stamps currently, so you are stuck with fairly basic building blocks and shapes, nothing intricate like fully built houses or anything else like that. I managed to create a pretty awesome PVP map where you use jump pads to launch onto floating islands, but had to wrangle with all the bugs and basic shapes. Currently the Beta has had some serious bugs, so I’m waiting on updates to fix a lot of my problems.

From what I was able to play, it’s very basic so far. I met two people, we joined a party together, then played a co-op PVE game. The shooting and enemy AI is about as basic as you can expect. It’s all third person, so the animations look good but the feeling is so basic, like a low budget indie Unity engine shooter. The platforming is nice though, but there are some issues with network desync and stutter that can mess up precise jumps sometimes. A lot of the gamemodes so far rely heavily on platforming.

Bottom line is, I’m excited to see where this goes and what it shapes up to be. I’m not sure if it really has that much of a fighting chance against the behemoths of Fortnite and Roblox, but the community so far seems to dig it and want to see the building tools really flesh out to allow some major creativity. I hope the games become more intricate because so far they seem really basic.

DUSK

Getting close to beating DUSK. Just got to the final episode last night. E3M3 City of Shadows has been my favorite level of the whole game so far. Tons of room for high speed movement, lots of jump pads to do sick front flips off of, tons of enemies to kill. It was a total blast playing that level! I’m not trying to 100% all secrets but so far that level had some of the coolest secrets. DUSK is such an awesome game and I can’t believe it took me this long to play through it. Even when I bought it last winter it didn’t click with me right away, but now it’s so awesome. Highly recommended for anyone who likes the ol boomer shooters. Arguably the game that kickstarted the retro shooter revival we see so often today.

Excuse me, but I would like to say a hearty "F@$k you!" to the Soulmask developers.

To catch a llama, which is the best pack animal, you find some baby llamas and set up medium traps. You put llama food in the traps and wait.

So I found 3 adult llamas and 2 babies walking around and around this field. I set up 4 traps and snuck off to the side to watch. I watched for 3 in-game days. Those babies walked all around the traps but never went in.

Guess what? They were actually baby alpacas. Just 2 baby alpacas hanging out with 3 adult llamas, no adult alpacas anywhere in sight.

I didn't think to check what the babies were until I'd sat there forever. I think the normal assumption would be llamas.

@Colif
re: pile of shame. I play every game I purchase--though not necessarily for long if I end up not liking it--except under 4 circumstances. 1) The game was just part of a bundle, and I have no interest in it. 2) I bought it on deep discount. I only have moderate interest in it and may play it some day. 3) I bought the game, generally during a deep discount, but the intention was always to play it later (for instance if it is still under development). 4) I bought the game but have no interest in it. I was simply supporting the developers (indies).

All that said, I couldn't care less if I don't play a game I've purchased. I'm not broke; I pay my bills on time, etc. I'm completely unconcerned about it. Now if you live paycheck to paycheck, then it's a little more of an issue.

Whelp, so i accidentally forgot to skip this months humble bundle. i did check it out earlier in the month and there was nothing i wanted from that list. it was supposed to be an easy decision to skip. Unfortunately i must have forgotten to turn it off during the start of the month or end of last month and Choice turned it back on. Oh well, i've cancelled it now, so hopefully in august i'll remember. unless there's something good in july that i simply can't pass up.

Whelp, so i accidentally forgot to skip this months humble bundle. i did check it out earlier in the month and there was nothing i wanted from that list.
Risk of Rain 2 is the only one I could recommend. Great game for short bursts, it really gets you into a flow state if you’re into the game. It’s one of those games that for me, I could play for 30mins—1hr, but after that I have to put it down. Not because it’s bad but because there is so much going on, once I finish a run I don’t feel the need to immediately do another one. The rest of the games don’t look great though.

Sucks to be a 7 Days to Die console player. They have to rebuy the game when it goes to 1.0. Or they can just stay in the final early access version.

The problem is that the console version was published by Telltale Games. Right before they went bankrupt, in a desperate move, they announced that 7 Days to Die was now version 1.0, hoping to rake in a bunch of cash.

Unfortunately, now Sony and Microsoft won't let the developers update the game in a way that will break the old saves, which is what they need to do to go to the real v1.0.

I broke my record in PokéRogue again, but ran into another problem. Apparently, at some point trainers start having Pokémon with multiple health bars, where damage to one bar doesn't roll over into the next. So just being fast and hard-hitting isn't enough, you need to be able to take multiple hits. Perhaps it's better to have high defences and healing moves.

Though I did beat my rival who rolled out a Rayquaza with 3 health bars, with 5 more Pokémon. I just didn't have anything against Giovanni's Mewtwo with two health bars that outsped all of my Pokémon, especially not with 5 more Pokémon, some of which also had two health bars.

My wife and I played some more Baldur's Gate 3 today and we didn't crash once. We now have the character who can do revives and class changes.

Zloth

Community Contributor

Yeah, that list really needs help. Here's my list: https://www.steamidfinder.com/lookup/ZlothX/#pileofshame

Issues off the top of my head:
  • Ignores what the game price was at purchase time. I know Race The Sun was free - it was the first free give-away there was on Steam (at least the first one I heard about).
  • I played Dark Messiah of Might & Magic twice. Once was before Steam tracked hours, but another was just recently. Steam shows I spent 23 hours in it. No clue why the list says I didn't play it at all.
  • Planet Coaster is on the 'pile of shame.' No idea why it has no price tag. It costs $45 right now, though I bought it on sale for a lot less.
  • A bunch of games, like Bioshock 2 Remastered, are re-issued games.
Still, the study should get us in the ballpark. I bet the amount wasted is over half a billion.

P.S. I believe you have to opt in to making your account public.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts