July 2024 Game Discussion Thread

Page 5 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Zloth

Community Contributor
I started playing Horizon: Forbidden West. The tutorial area was a bit frustrating but, once I got to the first open area, damn
full

Pretty game is pretty!

Yeah, I login daily… kinda funny to be logged into account to access info like last time online :D
Try checking under Friends in the Steam client's top menu bar. Does it say Offline? Switch it to Online and you'll be back in. (I just noticed it myself.)

I'm thinking about making a thread where I play old DOS games. The way I was going to go about it, was to let you guys use a random letter/number generator, and let's say it would come out as A 100, I would then have to play a DOS game starting with A and 100 down on the A list. Then I was thinking about posting a couple of clips of me playing, maybe some historical/fun facts about the game + manual/box art.

Would something like this be of interest?

I'm thinking about making a thread where I play old DOS games. The way I was going to go about it, was to let you guys use a random letter/number generator, and let's say it would come out as A 100, I would then have to play a DOS game starting with A and 100 down on the A list. Then I was thinking about posting a couple of clips of me playing, maybe some historical/fun facts about the game + manual/box art.

I'd be interested, but I suggest you drop the part where you use us as a random number generator. I think there would be more engagement if you just ask for recommendations.

I’ve been sick like a dog since Saturday. Didn’t go get a check up, but I assume it was the flu. Starting to feel a lot better now. Every time I get sick, I always view my rest days as a day to get a lot of gaming done but that’s never the case. Since Saturday I’ve played maybe 2-3 hours of Death Stranding and that’s it. @Zloth was right, I really needed to stop spending so much time in the first area and progress to the next, so that’s what I did.

It all started to come back to me though. I now remembered that I did play DS and reached this point before, then stopped for a while, started another play through and didn’t get this far, now this is technically my third time playing through it but I’m wanting to really stick with it now. I plowed through the first three distro centers in the second area, fought the BT in the crater, and about to do the mission where I finally unlock the motorcycle.

I rewatched the trailer for Death Stranding 2 and now that I have a bit more context fresh in my mind, there were a few minor things spoiled for me… oh well, still wanting to finish the game.

I'd be interested, but I suggest you drop the part where you use us as a random number generator. I think there would be more engagement if you just ask for recommendations.
That's an excellent suggestion, I'll do that instead:)
I’ve been sick like a dog since Saturday. Didn’t go get a check up, but I assume it was the flu. Starting to feel a lot better now. Every time I get sick, I always view my rest days as a day to get a lot of gaming done but that’s never the case. Since Saturday I’ve played maybe 2-3 hours of Death Stranding and that’s it. @Zloth was right, I really needed to stop spending so much time in the first area and progress to the next, so that’s what I did.
I also got sick on Saturday! Days of coughing, migraine from coughing too much, and slight fever. The only thing I managed to do was to do daily quests on Runescape (which takes 5 minutes) and watch Netflix. I am better now but have some coughing and no taste/smell (which kind of sucks). Two/three more days to be fully operational. I'm quite surprised I didn't get a sore throat or sore ribs from all that coughing.

It all started to come back to me though. I now remembered that I did play DS and reached this point before, then stopped for a while, started another play through and didn’t get this far, now this is technically my third time playing through it but I’m wanting to really stick with it now. I plowed through the first three distro centers in the second area, fought the BT in the crater, and about to do the mission where I finally unlock the motorcycle.

I rewatched the trailer for Death Stranding 2 and now that I have a bit more context fresh in my mind, there were a few minor things spoiled for me… oh well, still wanting to finish the game.
Hope you are feeling better. It's probably all that black sludge baby grease.

That's an excellent suggestion, I'll do that instead:)

I also got sick on Saturday! Days of coughing, migraine from coughing too much, and slight fever. The only thing I managed to do was to do daily quests on Runescape (which takes 5 minutes) and watch Netflix. I am better now but have some coughing and no taste/smell (which kind of sucks). Two/three more days to be fully operational. I'm quite surprised I didn't get a sore throat or sore ribs from all that coughing.
I had everything you mentioned haha. Started with a sore throat, quickly evolved into full body aches and painful coughing. For the past two days my ears have been clogged due to mucus trying to leave my system. My girlfriend and our roommate also got sick which I fully blame myself for spreading it.

I watched a ton of good YouTube while sick. I binged Michael MJD and Gamers Nexus the whole time. Something about tech YouTubers make me forget about my sickness.
Hope you are feeling better. It's probably all that black sludge baby grease.
Thanks, feeling a lot better compared to how I was earlier, but still not 100% there yet. I think I swallowed a bunch of the goo when I got dragged by the giant prawn looking BT.

I think even better would be for you to make a shortlist of games you want to play and do a poll.
I'll meet you two in the middle on this one: When I start the thread, I'll ask for DOS games you recommend me to try out for any reason. It could be because it is horrible bad, good, funny, scary, whatnot. Then I'll do what you mentioned and make a poll of those and play them in the order of voting.

Feel free to throw in some more input or ideas guys. I'll probably start the thread in a couple of days.

Last edited:
I am getting irked that the PCG team is referring to The First Descendent as "dollar store Destiny". IT IS NOT DOLLAR STORE DESTINY :triumph:

ACCHTUALLY its a fully fledged and flawed F2P looter-shooter with its own unique universe! :geek:
I’m extremely shallow, but I played it for 15 minutes and was not at all interested. I fully admit to not giving it a fair shot at all, but there was just this level of jankiness that I couldn’t get over. I really should give it a decent shot before passing judgement too quickly, but I can sense that I still wouldn’t like it.

I'll meet you two in the middle on this one: When I start the thread, I'll ask for DOS games you recommend me to try out for any reason. It could be because it is horrible bad, good, funny, scary, whatnot. Then I'll do what you mentioned and make a poll of those and play them in the order of voting.

Feel free to throw in some more input or ideas guys. I'll probably start the thread in a couple of days.

This sounds fun. I'm not sure that PC gaming lends itself quite as well, but something that was always fun on /r/Gameboy was the Monthly Game Challenge. Usually they do it in 6 month increments and you have an entire month to complete the game/challenges and earn a score.

@Frindis I already know what game I'm suggesting…

Well, I know what Abandonware I'm going to download. Steam Summer Sale purchases be damned.

Only as a telling insight into your mental state—but carry on! :D

@Zloth was right

Words to live by. I've proposed it for the new forum tag line, but sadly staff tell me it has no chance of overtaking 'Zed was wrong' in the running :(

no taste/smell (which kind of sucks)

Upside: you get more value from leftovers.

Any ideas of what could work

Take a peek at CivFanatics, the best game forum I've seen. They've been running various monthly challenges for 20+ years so the mods currently minding the challenges should have some great advice.

I’m extremely shallow, but I played it for 15 minutes and was not at all interested. I fully admit to not giving it a fair shot at all, but there was just this level of jankiness that I couldn’t get over. I really should give it a decent shot before passing judgement too quickly, but I can sense that I still wouldn’t like it.
I think you're janky. I didn't notice any jankiness in the game. :)

@BeardyHat That is a cool idea! I could see a monthly game challenge working. I'm not sure if we need the accumulating point system or if it would be better just to have pure monthly challenges with a small reward or without. I do think the game would have to be an FTP game so everyone would be able to join..

Any ideas of what could work as a challenge?

Maybe something like Death Rally.

Could try to stick to older games like this (maybe Abandonware DOS games or something) or try to keep things $5 to $10 or less. Depends on how much jank people are willing to put up with, but some stuff I've been meaning to go back to, such as, Realms of the Haunting, Lords of the Realm 2, Hocus Pocus.

Competing just for bragging rights and discussion is probably enough for me. Prizes are nice and I don't mind contributing to a pool, but I don't want anyone to feel obligated to compete or donate for the pool, whatever that might be.

Maybe something like Death Rally.

Could try to stick to older games like this (maybe Abandonware DOS games or something) or try to keep things $5 to $10 or less. Depends on how much jank people are willing to put up with, but some stuff I've been meaning to go back to, such as, Realms of the Haunting, Lords of the Realm 2, Hocus Pocus.

Competing just for bragging rights and discussion is probably enough for me. Prizes are nice and I don't mind contributing to a pool, but I don't want anyone to feel obligated to compete or donate for the pool, whatever that might be.

I have a couple of games I could throw into the prize pool and I'm pretty sure other people can contribute some games as well. Of course, it'll the games no one claimed from the last time people tried to get rid of them. So they won't be particularly good, but then good prices incentivize cheating and that would kind of ruin the idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts