July 2024 Game Discussion Thread

Page 7 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
7FzRBfj.png
Mark would be a red suit

Reactions: ZedClampet
Been playing some Death Rally and I think I got some ideas that could work for a competition. I'll make a draft in a few days and we can talk about the rules together and find a nice way to go about it. After we have done that, I'll talk to the other moderators and we'll go over the info before greenlighting it and starting the competition.
Sounds fun.

I play

and

for at least a little bit nearly every day.

my Dark souls 3 journey continues! We've reached the halfway mark as i finally make my way to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley. A snowy landscape filled with churches and some tough fighters. no Lotheric longsword, but perhaps soon, as i finally get my merchant thief to go stealing in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley for one. Which is a bit annoying, considering i dedicated 1 or 2 hours total occasionally jumping back to the one location to spawn the lotheric knights. A quick reddit and apparently those 4 knights don't drop it... But the one in the earlier level does. So another hour of me grinding and killing that knight until he drops something. or i get bored.

i don't know the show well enough, I just knew they were the ones least likely to return from a mission.

I thought so lol. The redshirts were the high-mortality unnamed security guards in the original series (Kirk). But in the series we're talking about, the next generation (Picard), the main characters with red shirts are the captain and first officer.

Played some unmodded theHunter today. The game keeps score, and I'm doing my best to get the best kills I can get, but, of course, there's no way I can keep up with Guido, who shot a rabbit from 309 yards and a flying goose from a little over 200. And if he sees a herd of something, he can very nearly get them all even though they scatter as soon as you shoot your gun.

One problem is my vision. Most of the time I can't even see what Guido is shooting at, so my strategy has to be to get up close. To do that, I have to be as quiet as possible.

To that end, I go very light so I don't have to use a backpack, which increases your sound and also your visibility. Basically, I take one rifle that is appropriate to whatever I'm hunting, which is usually big game for the big points. And then I take two pistols, one in case I come across medium sized animals and one for small animals.

So I go as quietly as possible and stick to cover, which doesn't always work in my favor. They can't see me, and I often can't see them either. I use a spray to cover my scent and do my best not to walk with the wind. I also take the appropriate animal calls, so I can hunker down if something is near and try to lure them in.

I came across a group of water buffalo and was so close to them that it was impossible to miss. The problem is that they are hard to kill and if you only wound a male, he will come after you. So I shot the male first, being sure to get the vital organs. He was so badly wounded that he decided to run but dropped about 20 yards away. Meanwhile, I was shooting at the fleeing females. With my high caliber rifle, shooting them from behind isn't terrible. You can hit the intestines and the stomach and cause them to bleed out relatively quickly. I ended up with 3 water buffalo kills, and the male was a Gold kill; the females were both silver.

I also got a Himalayan fox, a blue sheep and a couple of yaks, so not a bad day for me at all.

I enjoy the stalking, and the maps are huge, highly detailed and beautiful, so it's a good time. Plus, I have a bloodhound that follows along and helps me track in exchange for praise and treats. Really enjoy it.

The Clothing Store Sim is probably the best of the recent bunch of shopkeep games, but it could be better. I'm trying to get them to categorize all clothing items and then build a proximity system where if you group like items together, they sell better. This would add more strategy to setting up the store. Currently, you can just place things anywhere. It doesn't matter at all.

Also, I suggested that items placed on mannequins should sell at least slightly better.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I got over 35 unspent points in Horizon: Forbidden West over 35 before spending them! The starting areas for the game are easily accomplished without them. It did start to ramp up, though, so I splurged.

Like the first game, the first cauldron was difficult for me. I had to fight a big, nasty machine. I had a couple of companions, but the nasty had them, too. Basically, the companions would keep the smaller robots busy as long as I didn't accidentally shoot one and make it mad at me. That boss was deadly! Its shots would take half my health out if I didn't dodge. It was smart, too, so dodging the same way every time would get me shot for sure. Its charge attack was easy to avoid, but after it did that it would swipe its tail around, which hit me almost every time and hurt VERY badly!

I tried it half a dozen times on Hard and never beat it. I dropped the difficulty down to Normal and still got beat! Then I made this try:
View: https://youtu.be/7_wdmhRxDUg?si=50J5nZhOa1qKOJ-3

(jump to about 4:10 if you get bored with the fight)

Playing Planet Crafter with the kids. We played yesterday and today, and we've already got trees all over the place.

The story is that you were wrongfully convicted of a crime and chose becoming a lone terraformer over life in prison.

But I got news for them. I have turned a barren planet into paradise with waterfalls, forests and breathable air. I have created life, both plant and animal. I'm powering the entire planet with fusion power. I've powered up the many shipwrecks and have massive turrets all over the place, basically 100 percent coverage, and I've got quite an advanced nuclear program. This planet isn't just mine. I'm its god. You boys will drop a few young women down here and head back home if you know what is good for you. :ROFLMAO:

I picked up Postal: Brain Damaged last night. Only played for an hour but had a blast. Movement and action feel so good. I love how you can jump out of a slide move to leapfrog yourself quite far. Also the shotgun has a grapple hook, so you can pull yourself towards enemies and blast them in the face. The first level was a massive twisting suburb and it looks great. The graphics and art direction are some of the best I’ve seen in a FPS in so long. Truly unique enemy and level design. I’ve been wanting this game for a while so I’m glad I’m finally getting around to it.

As much as I love Postal 2, the games that came after are not as good. Postal 3 is notorious for being a very bad game, while Postal 4 is quite divided amongst fans but overall a generally good experience, so this Brain Damaged is exactly what the series needed. There is a lot of good material to work with, the world and the Postal Dude are very interesting, so an oddball boomershooter with crazy design elements fits perfectly within the series. The story is that he basically took too many pills and is now stuck inside a nightmare of his own creation. Everything is supposed to represent the things he hates which is such an awesome concept for a game. Very excited to keep playing!

I haven't played any of the new games I found for my kid yet. Instead, we spend most of today playing LEGO Fortnite creation islands, which are like the user created Fortnite games but with the LEGO aesthetic.

They're of a similar quality of what Flash games used to be like, meaning they're mediocre but fine for killing some time. And if you don't like one, there's dozens more mediocre ones to try out.

I don't think I've played games for this long in quite a while. It made me realise we really need a new desk chair, the one we have now is way too uncomfortable to sit on for long periods of time.

They're of a similar quality of what Flash games used to be like, meaning they're mediocre but fine for killing some time. And if you don't like one, there's dozens more mediocre ones to try out.
Not sure how familiar you are with Roblox but it’s exactly this way as well. Great to kill some time but you really do need to sift through the garbage to get to the good ones. From time to time my girlfriend and I will play a bunch of little games on there, especially since it’s cross-platform with nearly every internet enabled device released in the past 10 years, so there’s never not a device that can run those games within arms reach. Mediocre at best, but has its fun moments, and a good way to spend time with each other.

I thought so lol. The redshirts were the high-mortality unnamed security guards in the original series (Kirk). But in the series we're talking about, the next generation (Picard), the main characters with red shirts are the captain and first officer.

SNW, TOS, ENT:
Command - Gold
Security - Red
Engineering - Red
Medical/Science: Blue

TNG, DS9, VOY, LD:
Command - Red
Security - Gold
Engineering: Gold
Medical/Science: Blue-green

Interestingly, the change happened because Patrick Stewart looked better in red than gold.

Not sure how familiar you are with Roblox but it’s exactly this way as well. Great to kill some time but you really do need to sift through the garbage to get to the good ones. From time to time my girlfriend and I will play a bunch of little games on there, especially since it’s cross-platform with nearly every internet enabled device released in the past 10 years, so there’s never not a device that can run those games within arms reach. Mediocre at best, but has its fun moments, and a good way to spend time with each other.

I've stayed away from Roblox because of the child exploitation stuff and because I prefer playing games that aren't mediocre.

Playing games with my kid is already a bit of a struggle because she just wants very different things from games than I do, so I prefer playing games where I can play serious at least some of the time and enjoy it, especially since I have so little time to play by myself.

Another problem is that I don't know how easy it is to encounter inappropriate content as a kid on Roblox and I don't want to invest the time necessary to determine if I feel safe about my kid playing unsupervised.

I've stayed away from Roblox because of the child exploitation stuff and because I prefer playing games that aren't mediocre.

Playing games with my kid is already a bit of a struggle because she just wants very different things from games than I do, so I prefer playing games where I can play serious at least some of the time and enjoy it, especially since I have so little time to play by myself.

Another problem is that I don't know how easy it is to encounter inappropriate content as a kid on Roblox and I don't want to invest the time necessary to determine if I feel safe about my kid playing unsupervised.
I still say you should try Wizard101. The entire first world is free now.

I picked up Postal: Brain Damaged last night. Only played for an hour but had a blast. Movement and action feel so good. I love how you can jump out of a slide move to leapfrog yourself quite far. Also the shotgun has a grapple hook, so you can pull yourself towards enemies and blast them in the face. The first level was a massive twisting suburb and it looks great. The graphics and art direction are some of the best I’ve seen in a FPS in so long. Truly unique enemy and level design. I’ve been wanting this game for a while so I’m glad I’m finally getting around to it.

As much as I love Postal 2, the games that came after are not as good. Postal 3 is notorious for being a very bad game, while Postal 4 is quite divided amongst fans but overall a generally good experience, so this Brain Damaged is exactly what the series needed. There is a lot of good material to work with, the world and the Postal Dude are very interesting, so an oddball boomershooter with crazy design elements fits perfectly within the series. The story is that he basically took too many pills and is now stuck inside a nightmare of his own creation. Everything is supposed to represent the things he hates which is such an awesome concept for a game. Very excited to keep playing!
I didn't even know this existed. I might grab it while it's cheap.

I'm getting tired of Planet Crafter. The planet is terraformed, but it just keeps on going.

My mouse took a dump the other day and I told myself I'd order a new one, no Logitech, wireless and not "Gamery", but here we are:

https://a.co/d/8jXiZQC

It was cheap enough with Prime day that I didn't need to convince my wife. Plus it has weights, my favorite mouse that died several years ago had them and I liked it; I just hope wired isn't an issue with the way my desk is.

I've been stuck in Vanilla WoW again, which I have mixed feelings about. It's definitely a comfort game for me and being on a custom private server, I'm seeing new stuff I haven't necessarily seen in the last 20 years, but it's still the same game. I started again because I had been thinking about it, but my friend, independently, also started playing again, so that got me going.

My Yakuza: Like a Dragon time has gone down considerably, though not stopped entirely. The one thing WoW has over Yakuza is that I don't need to "pay attention" to it, really. No long cutscenes to watch or narrow streets to run through, so I can divert my attention to my wife or kids when someone wants to talk to me.

Although, I've been playing WoW anyway even when I have a wide swath of time to myself...

My mouse took a dump the other day and I told myself I'd order a new one, no Logitech, wireless and not "Gamery", but here we are:

https://a.co/d/8jXiZQC

It was cheap enough with Prime day that I didn't need to convince my wife. Plus it has weights, my favorite mouse that died several years ago had them and I liked it; I just hope wired isn't an issue with the way my desk is.

I've been stuck in Vanilla WoW again, which I have mixed feelings about. It's definitely a comfort game for me and being on a custom private server, I'm seeing new stuff I haven't necessarily seen in the last 20 years, but it's still the same game. I started again because I had been thinking about it, but my friend, independently, also started playing again, so that got me going.

My Yakuza: Like a Dragon time has gone down considerably, though not stopped entirely. The one thing WoW has over Yakuza is that I don't need to "pay attention" to it, really. No long cutscenes to watch or narrow streets to run through, so I can divert my attention to my wife or kids when someone wants to talk to me.

Although, I've been playing WoW anyway even when I have a wide swath of time to myself...
My Sensei mouse is falling apart. The cable is frayed and the adhesive is coming off of everything. The thing is, I love their software, so I went ahead and ordered another one.

I knew it would come to this. I'm now making the most obscene t-shirts I can think of in Clothing Store Simulator. What can I say? Body of a 100 year old, mind of a 12 year old.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts