July 2024 Game Discussion Thread

Page 6 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I have a couple of games I could throw into the prize pool and I'm pretty sure other people can contribute some games as well. Of course, it'll the games no one claimed from the last time people tried to get rid of them. So they won't be particularly good, but then good prices incentivize cheating and that would kind of ruin the idea.
That's been awhile, and I never canceled my Humble monthly thing, so I have some new ones.

Had a ridiculous experience trying to play a game called Bellwright. I spawned into the world for the first time, and it told me to go talk to this village elder. So I "ran" down to the village. "Ran" is in quotes because you can only run about 5 feet before you get tired (hey, just like real life).

So I finally get to the village right as the elder goes into his hut. I try to follow him, but you can't enter the huts. I curse and wait outside to see if he'll come back out. A minute or so later, he does, but he runs right past me. I start chasing him, but I'm out of shape and can't catch him. He does a complete circle of the village and goes back into his hut.

I eventually got to talk to him, but by then I wanted to punch him.

Oh please, fake Kirk is clearly Enterprise's Archer.
I watched the original Star Trek every day after school on reruns. I never really got into Next Generation, but others in my family really enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind watching it now on Netflix or something if it's there. I didn't like the new Spock (robot guy) at all. That's the main thing I remember about it. I liked Picard okay. I didn't like beard guy, either.

I watched the original Star Trek every day after school on reruns. I never really got into Next Generation, but others in my family really enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind watching it now on Netflix or something if it's there. I didn't like the new Spock (robot guy) at all. That's the main thing I remember about it. I liked Picard okay. I didn't like beard guy, either.
TNG Season 1 is pretty bad. It's good from Seasons 3–7. However, you would enjoy Seasons 3–7 more having got to know the characters in the inferior Seasons 1–2.

Beard guy is TNG's fake Kirk. I mean that literally, btw! TNG was originally built on the foundation of an old 70s plan to create a new Star Trek TV series with most of the original crew. The Riker equivalent was supposed to do the action stunts and gratuitous snogging that Shatner was too old for. Instead, they made the TOS movies, and you can see the very similar parallels between Star Trek: The Motion Picture and TNG: Decker = Riker; Ilia the empath = Deanna the empath. So Decker was the fake Kirk of Phase II even though they had actual Kirk who was no longer filling the Kirk narrative role.

TNG Season 1 is pretty bad. It's good from Seasons 3–7. However, you would enjoy Seasons 3–7 more having got to know the characters in the inferior Seasons 1–2.

Beard guy is TNG's fake Kirk. I mean that literally, btw! TNG was originally built on the foundation of an old 70s plan to create a new Star Trek TV series with most of the original crew. The Riker equivalent was supposed to do the action stunts and gratuitous snogging that Shatner was too old for. Instead, they made the TOS movies, and you can see the very similar parallels between Star Trek: The Motion Picture and TNG: Decker = Riker; Ilia the empath = Deanna the empath. So Decker was the fake Kirk of Phase II even though they had actual Kirk who was no longer filling the Kirk narrative role.
So TNG just split Kirk into two characters.

Maybe something like Death Rally.

Could try to stick to older games like this (maybe Abandonware DOS games or something) or try to keep things $5 to $10 or less. Depends on how much jank people are willing to put up with, but some stuff I've been meaning to go back to, such as, Realms of the Haunting, Lords of the Realm 2, Hocus Pocus.

Competing just for bragging rights and discussion is probably enough for me. Prizes are nice and I don't mind contributing to a pool, but I don't want anyone to feel obligated to compete or donate for the pool, whatever that might be.
Death Rally sounds like fun. Remember playing that some eons ago. A small prize like the ones @Pifanjr mentioned I think would be good enough. I think we should be able to throw something out pretty soon then. How would the competition work in Death Rally? Like, go for time on each lap, fastest to the end? Top 10 best lap times? How many tries?
Take a peek at CivFanatics, the best game forum I've seen. They've been running various monthly challenges for 20+ years so the mods currently minding the challenges should have some great advice.
That sounds like a goldmine ready to be dug for ideas!:)

Never watched the classic Star Trek, so for me the TNG Kirk will always be the split between smoothy-shaven Kirk from S1 TNG that nobody liked and the bearded awesome Kirk from S2 TNG.

Last edited:
Currently in the process of moving so I try to squeeze in tiny gaming sessions here and there. I found that Fallen Aces is a good game for very short burst if needed. That game gives me such an adrenaline and dopamine rush, and very immediately once I get into the game I’m looking for things to do like enemies to fight or secret paths to discover.

I’m currently playing through the first act that’s available in Early Access on Hard mode, and trying to find more secrets than I did my first run. Spending a lot more time scrubbing the levels for things I missed, and not using a guide to help. I can play this game for 15-30 minutes and still have a blast, which is why I can’t wait for the Level Editor and Steam Workshop update. Custom arena maps where you fight waves of goons would be a dream come true in this game.

Not for the first time

hqdefault.jpg

I can't, in good faith, put a Like on this post.

Death Rally sounds like fun. Remember playing that some eons ago. A small prize like the ones @Pifanjr mentioned I think would be good enough. I think we should be able to throw something out pretty soon then. How would the competition work in Death Rally? Like, go for time on each lap, fastest to the end? Top 10 best lap times? How many tries?

Got me on that one. Since I'm just stealing ideas anyway, the way it was done for other challenges was complete the game and then maybe a little bonus, such as getting a fast lap or whatever.

Probably depends on if you want to do it point based or not. Complete half the game for half the points, etc. I'm not terribly clever at coming up with these types of things.

Currently in the process of moving so I try to squeeze in tiny gaming sessions here and there. I found that Fallen Aces is a good game for very short burst if needed. That game gives me such an adrenaline and dopamine rush, and very immediately once I get into the game I’m looking for things to do like enemies to fight or secret paths to discover.

I’m currently playing through the first act that’s available in Early Access on Hard mode, and trying to find more secrets than I did my first run. Spending a lot more time scrubbing the levels for things I missed, and not using a guide to help. I can play this game for 15-30 minutes and still have a blast, which is why I can’t wait for the Level Editor and Steam Workshop update. Custom arena maps where you fight waves of goons would be a dream come true in this game.

Sorry to hear! Moving is the worst.

I gotta get back to Fallen Aces. I did the second level twice because it apparently didn't auto save on the next level and then I got distracted by Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

Sorry to hear! Moving is the worst.
Excited about the new place, just hate the process :ROFLMAO:
I gotta get back to Fallen Aces. I did the second level twice because it apparently didn't auto save on the next level and then I got distracted by Yakuza: Like a Dragon.
They did just add proper auto save with the first minor update. I also savescum a ton in games like this, I set my quicksave and quickload keys to my numpad so I can very easily move my mouse hand and mash them. I highly recommend finishing the rest, it took me right under 5 hours my first go around playing it casually.

I’m extremely shallow, but I played it for 15 minutes and was not at all interested. I fully admit to not giving it a fair shot at all, but there was just this level of jankiness that I couldn’t get over. I really should give it a decent shot before passing judgement too quickly, but I can sense that I still wouldn’t like it.

Its def. janky. With my 4080S im getting ~40-70 in the open world, but stable high 70-90 in solo missions. This, of course, is with raytracing off.

Its not for everyone even fans of that type of game. I dont like a lot of aspects either from the MTX to the MMO tropes that stain these kinds of games. But for some reason the combat and the loot chase has hooked me for now. Its still really new and im hitting walls where its either pay a lot of money to advance or keep doing the same 2-3 missions over and over and over again. So the game might subside for me

I can't, in good faith, put a Like on this post.
Data was high up on my review of the most important characters of the show: https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/your-favorite-star-trek-tng-episodes-characters.3528/ (feel free to necro the post if you guys want to post your favs)
Got me on that one. Since I'm just stealing ideas anyway, the way it was done for other challenges was complete the game and then maybe a little bonus, such as getting a fast lap or whatever.

Probably depends on if you want to do it point based or not. Complete half the game for half the points, etc. I'm not terribly clever at coming up with these types of things.
I'll take the game for a spin this weekend and see what type of ideas come out of that. I'll post it later in another thread, including your ideas and then we can see what people would like to see/if anyone else has something better.

Mullet man is my new favorite customer in Clothing Store Simulator.
full

He's wearing my custom designed shirt.

As a hobby I used to design shirts and sell them on Spreadshirt. I used to get checks from that each month, but apparently after awhile you lose any favor you had with their algorithms. Haven't received a check in a couple of years.

For this I just had AI make me a baseball player and then I redrew him swinging a bat, painted his outfit and did the rest of it. It's easier for me to draw when I have something to look off of. I should have saved the original picture, but I painted over it. Oh well.

Last edited:
Data was high up on my review of the most important characters of the show: https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/your-favorite-star-trek-tng-episodes-characters.3528/ (feel free to necro the post if you guys want to post your favs)

I'll take the game for a spin this weekend and see what type of ideas come out of that. I'll post it later in another thread, including your ideas and then we can see what people would like to see/if anyone else has something better.

Honestly, I'm too forgiving, because I love all the characters. But also, I'm not far into the series yet; I've technically watched pretty much all of them, as TNG was always on at my house as a kid and I kind of osmosed them as my parents were watching and I was playing with Lego or whatever.

My wife and I started watching and we last finished S4E6, then we haven't been back yet for a couple of months, but we keep talking about returning to watch. This thread prompted me to figure out where exactly we left off, so now that I know I think I'll suggest it this evening to my wife after the kids are down.

Got my Steam library a bit more tidier:
xQGntKq.png

Here is how you do it:

- Click one of the genres
- Save as a Dynamic Collection
- You can edit the title of the genres afterward if you don't want it to say Action, Adventure, etc.

6A8rwak.png

Looks like a lot of work, but surprisingly not too bad.

That said, I think I prefer mine as one big library (aside from the stuff I have hidden); weirdly, in spite of my poor memory, I can generally remember what I own, even if I have like 1000-games between Steam and GoG. I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last night, but I know for sure I own Real Warfare and I got it in some bundle like 15 years ago and I've never played it.

Mullet man is my new favorite customer in Clothing Store Simulator.
full

He's wearing my custom designed shirt.

As a hobby I used to design shirts and sell them on Spreadshirt. I used to get checks from that each month, but apparently after awhile you lose any favor you had with their algorithms. Haven't received a check in a couple of years.

For this I just had AI make me a baseball player and then I redrew him swinging a bat, painted his outfit and did the rest of it. It's easier for me to draw when I have something to look off of. I should have saved the original picture, but I painted over it. Oh well.

That's pretty cool. I like the design on that.

Got my Steam library a bit more tidier:
xQGntKq.png

Here is how you do it:

- Click one of the genres
- Save as a Dynamic Collection
- You can edit the title of the genres afterward if you don't want it to say Action, Adventure, etc.

6A8rwak.png
I use to have all mine categorized, but I've gotten behind (obviously I buy too many games)

I use to have all mine categorized, but I've gotten behind (obviously I buy too many games)
I was considering buying some games from the Steam sale, but when I got over 900 unplayed games, I thought it might be time to plow through some of them first lol. My nephew is visiting for some days, so we'll have some fun playing something random + some DOS games introducing him to a slice of PC gaming history.

nephew is visiting for some days, so we'll have some fun playing something random + some DOS games introducing him to a slice of PC gaming history

"Aw Mom, do I have to visit Uncle FriendDOS? Please Mom, I'll mow the lawn and do all the washup!"

Ubisoft Launcher sucks donkey balls

Tru dat. Solution: don't use it :p

Got my Steam library a bit more tidier

I did that a couple of years ago, only finished deleting the categories again a few months back. Since I don't use it to launch games or track ownership, it proved more of a hassle than benefit. Should be useful for Steamers and otherwise limited gamers tho :p

I didn't like the new Spock (robot guy) at all

Data was one of my favs in the ~20-30 episodes of TNG I tripped over. I think it's especially cool how he mastered business and started his own SocMed company:

7FzRBfj.png

Zloth

Community Contributor
You folks are making me hungry for cellular peptide cake (with mint frosting).

Anyway, Horizon: Forbidden West is going really well. Maybe too well. I've been exploring all over the place and doing the quests. I've earned 7 skill points to get new skills with, but I've only spent one point so far! I do that a lot with games that get easier as they go along, but this is a bit weird. I'm usually eager to get something going - but now that I've gotten this far, I want to see how far I can go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts