February 2024 General Gaming Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Kind of, except building things using real tools and machines is something I do anyway. The world is a sandbox, I like my video games to be more focused.
*eye roll* I have actual weapons and live at the edge of mountains with actual monsters that can kill me (bears, wolves and mountain lions). The world is my Elden Ring.

did you enjoy it though? That is main reason to play games, if you didn't then yes... why do it. Its why I stopped playing the sims as I could just live my life instead.
Yep, I even get paid for it. ;)

*eye roll* I have actual weapons and live at the edge of mountains with actual monsters that can kill me (bears, wolves and mountain lions). The world is my Elden Ring.

I wasnt trying to tell anyone else what they should do or how they should feel, just maybe reason out why my brain is like it is.

We have wolves and bears here as well, no guns though I just wrestle them into the sauna and we have a beer together.

Last edited:

McStabStab

Community Contributor
@Pifanjr thanks for sharing that gamer profile survey, I ended up scoring high in Action, Social, and Creativity, and low in mastery, achievement, and immersion.

Makes sense because I revert back to a lot of co-op shooter or couch co-op games with my friends and family. I also love city builders and turn based strategy games, but don't stress if I can't crank up the difficulty or unlock all of the achievements.

I'd say my few exceptions are survival horror games, where I really get into the immersion and want to play at the hardest difficulty level if possible.

Cheers, folks!

bears here … I just wrestle them into the sauna and we have a beer together

Sometimes, too many beers:

vZqEykY.png

That's a Beer Bear.
Since you were in a sauna, it's also a Bare Bear…
…with a Beer.

Bare Beer Bear? :unsure:

I'm sure you're very familiar with bears, but the problem with scaring bears is that you really only startle them. Once they compose themselves, they decide whether to calmly leave or prepare a remoulade to dip your flesh into.

Due to the climate in Tennessee, we only have black bears. They're pretty peaceful. Last person killed by a bear here was a backpacker in 2020. He was by himself, so no one actually knows what happened. Could have tried to pet it for all we know.

I'm sure you're very familiar with bears, but the problem with scaring bears is that you really only startle them. Once they compose themselves, they decide whether to calmly leave or prepare a remoulade to dip your flesh into.

Due to the climate in Tennessee, we only have black bears. They're pretty peaceful. Last person killed by a bear here was a backpacker in 2020. He was by himself, so no one actually knows what happened. Could have tried to pet it for all we know.

I recently read something about how there are a significant number of deaths in American national parks, a lot of which because some tourists just do not respect how dangerous wild animals are and will try to pet anything from boars to bears to elk.

I recently read something about how there are a significant number of deaths in American national parks, a lot of which because some tourists just do not respect how dangerous wild animals are and will try to pet anything from boars to bears to elk.
Yep. There are incidents every year here with tourists doing stupid things with bears. A couple of years ago, a guy actually attacked a full grown bear that was in the process of killing a deer for dinner. And people trying to pose with bears is pretty common. "Hey get a picture of me next to that bear!" Fortunately, the bears here are pretty chill.

I think it's a worldwide problem with tourists. Saw security footage of a woman getting out of her vehicle next to a tiger in a Chinese park, and another woman somewhere who was swimming with polar bears in a zoo.

Dont assume anything, I live in the most populated region of the country. Every so often a lone wolf will wander into outer suburbs of the city and the police will put out an alert and get it caught.

I'm not messing with wild animals, Rune bears are quite a bit less likely to eat me and I'm bad with a sword in real life.

Given reputation of Australian animals, the bears we have are only likely to kill us if they fall out of a tree - Drop bears don't look like polar bears... regardless of video evidence to the contrary:

Most of our dangerous animals are in the water, so if you stay out of that you a lot safer. Insects... thats a different story.

Wild animals (apart from birds) are never seen in my city. Maybe 20 years ago I saw a Kangaroo in the suburb but that was during a bushfire... it was trying to escape.

Cities here are really green, so theres loads of woodland in between the housing areas and even mixed in with them, one of the things I love about here. Are you close to the sea @Colif? Always jealous of the blue seas there. We were lucky enough to live on a big island for a bit and I loved it all year round being 5 minutes from the sea on all sides. But the Baltic isnt the cleanest to put it mildly, the blue algae has been coming in the summer so you cant go in the water in a lot of places.

I'm not arachnophobic but I dont much care for spiders. Knowing that there might be a poisonous one in my shoe or under the doorstep at any point might spike my anxiety off the charts.

I am inland. They intentionally put the capital inland, its a planned city, just over 100 years old.
120 years ago when we became a nation and not a colony, they decided we needed a new capital but two major cities both wanted the job, so there was an agreement made saying it couldn't be either but had to be somewhere between the two cities.
They put it inland to stop us ever competing with the other two cities. I don't mind too much, I can get to a beach in under 2 hours in a car... but I find them boring. Sand gets into everything.

Knowing that there might be a poisonous one in my shoe or under the doorstep at any point might spike my anxiety off the charts.
1xaSZcl.jpg

No idea what you mean. Though thats an old photo from last summer. Already had one in here this year but not as big. Really need to replace my windows so they won't get in again.

I can get to a beach in under 2 hours in a car... but I find them boring. Sand gets into everything.
I love the beach. My wife wants us to buy a beach house in North Carolina for vacationing, but I don't see the point to it. For one thing, it's 7 to 8 hours away, which is too far for a weekend trip, so we'd probably only use it once or twice a year, and I'd just rather get a hotel room for that. Paying things like hurricane insurance for something we're only going to be at 1 week a year seems kind of crazy. Sure, we could probably rent it out here and there, but I doubt we'd make our money back.

I knew someone who lived on a yacht for awhile. They traveled along the coasts of North and South America, never staying any one place too long. Sounded kind of fun. Being young and dumb about yachts, I asked them if they ever followed the Viking path and went to Europe, but she told me that was beyond the capabilities of their yacht. Seems like if a wooden longboat could do it that a modern yacht could, but I still don't know anything about yachts, so I don't know.

Last edited:
Growing up, our family could rent a house down the coast off another family we knew, and it was literally a walk across road and down a short path to a beach. I didn't mind it but I don't see point in sitting on a beach and getting sun burned... and snorkeling is only fun for so long.
Worst part about that place is its too close to my city. Meaning everyone goes there in summer. Go on holidays and find you know everyone because they all from your city... best way to get away from everyone is to stay at home... I did that ever since.
I have only been back once since in the last 30 years. I am probably overdue but I won't get there this summer, I am too busy.

Growing up, our family could rent a house down the coast off another family we knew, and it was literally a walk across road and down a short path to a beach. I didn't mind it but I don't see point in sitting on a beach and getting sun burned... and snorkeling is only fun for so long.
Worst part about that place is its too close to my city. Meaning everyone goes there in summer. Go on holidays and find you know everyone because they all from your city... best way to get away from everyone is to stay at home... I did that ever since.
I have only been back once since in the last 30 years. I am probably overdue but I won't get there this summer, I am too busy.
I like relaxing under an umbrella, closing my eyes and listening to the ocean. I really like swimming in the ocean, but the Carolinas aren't very good for that because the surf is too strong most of the time. Where we go has lifeguards, and they will throw you off the beach if you go out past the waves. I do like riding boogie boards, though, which is great there. My favorite east coast beach is Cocoa Beach, but it's 14 hours away. My second favorite is Pompano, but that's another 4 hours after Cocoa. You can watch the NASA launches from Cocoa Beach--well, back when NASA used to launch things.

No idea what you mean. Though thats an old photo from last summer. Already had one in here this year but not as big. Really need to replace my windows so they won't get in again.
Is that a poisonous one? I learned to deal withe ones we got in England because my partner is more scared of them than I am, they get surprisingly big but the old cup and paper technique gets them every time.

I love the water, theres a big swimming lake near us and the sea is still only half an hour away. I'd live by the beach straight away if it was practical, I just like walking around the shore and boats, not even a particularly strong swimmer..

Is that a poisonous one? I learned to deal withe ones we got in England because my partner is more scared of them than I am, they get surprisingly big but the old cup and paper technique gets them every time.

I love the water, theres a big swimming lake near us and the sea is still only half an hour away. I'd live by the beach straight away if it was practical, I just like walking around the shore and boats, not even a particularly strong swimmer..
For Australian spiders, you're going to need to replace the cup with a bucket.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU

TRENDING THREADS