Civilization 7 Pre-Launch Discussion

My favorite part of Civilization 6 was actually the lead-up to the game. They released so many interesting videos. So now we're back here again. Civ 7 is coming in 2025, and we can expect lots of videos on leaders, new features, etc. So let's have fun posting the videos and discussing them. Articles are certainly welcome, as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pygcgE3a_uY

I'm excited for Civ 7. I didn't really get too reassured by the launch trailer. I'm hoping it will be quite different to Civ 6. Still, we didn't see any gameplay so I'll be cautiously optimistic.
After playing a lot of Civ 5, I hardly played Civ 6 at all. I thought it was ugly, and I didn't like what they did with the builders and the roads. I didn't get much deeper than that.

NrfL7GP.png

That's new, right? A little disconcerting…

So August before we know anything useful. Still, good to see the announcement—2031 is filling up nicely. And if the game + expansions + final patches + best mods is good, 2032 looks full too :)

Can't infer much from the teaser. It implies they're sticking with the epic theme, so hopefully the art direction won't devalue that this time.

second launchers don't bother me

Me neither, as long as I can bypass and forget—that's a good second launcher, if you don't mind 'good' being made from extreme-stretch elastic.

But when the 30-60 second daily Steam update is then followed by minutes-long Ubi launcher shenanigans, it's just annoying to have to schedule my game launch for when I have something else to do for a few minutes.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
Anyway, good stuff 2K and Firaxis :)
They caused some major pains in XCOM 2 back when that launcher first showed up. I think I even posted about it here. Obviously, they fixed it up over the years. If there was a launcher in Marvel's Midnight Suns, though, I don't remember it. Still, I'm happy to see that thing go.

P.S. Horizon: Forbidden West seems to have done something weird. Either the game flat-out deleted the launcher when I selected the option not to show it anymore, or the "launcher" was really the game itself, starting out in a small window - because there's only one stand-alone program in my game directory now. The game loads crazy-fast, so they could have gotten away with the launcher simply being the first window displayed by the main game.

If that's accurate, you are really going slowly somewhere.

60 is prob too high, say 45—this on the days when they have the extra ad panel to show.

The 30 is about right—I launch Picross Touch when I think of it just to get Steam init out of the way. I continue with whatever else I'm doing, and don't close Steam for the rest of the day—and I close most apps when I'm done with them.

Definitely going slowly.

I'm not sure how I feel about a "simplified" Civilization, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Maybe it will be to Civilization what Total War Warhammer is to Total War, simplified but fun and refreshing for the old hands. Maybe a greater emphasis on the things people like to do and reducing mindless busy work.

I should probably read the article :ROFLMAO:

Okay, I've read it, and I'm more excited than ever for this.

Last edited: