What mouse do you use?

For the last few years I've used the SteelSeries Sensai Ten ambidextrous mouse, but this morning it's going out on me, and when I went to order a new one, it was going to be $70, whereas I could get the Razer Viper ambidextrous, which I've used before, for $39. It was an easy choice, even though I like the SteelSeries software quite a bit. Razer's will ask me to log in every time I open it, which is a huge pain.

So, what's your mouse?

I had a Sensai for 8 years and then it started to stop windows loading the desktop... so I swapped to a https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-600 as I like the shape still.

2AcVB7R.jpg

I don't like Razer because of their driver software. That and the one mouse I used was too light.

I had a Sensai for 8 years and then it started to stop windows loading the desktop... so I swapped to a https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-600 as I like the shape still.

2AcVB7R.jpg

I don't like Razer because of their driver software. That and the one mouse I used was too light.
You're actually the person who recommended the Sensei to me, and I'll probably get another one one of these days. I really liked it. Then I'll make this Razer my backup. Right now I switched to another, non-ambidextrous Sensei, but I need an ambidextrous mouse for my main gaming computer.

Oct 20, 2023
Visit site
Logitech MX Master—was around $60 when I bought some years back. There are newer models available now ~$100, but I like this so much I quickly bought a second for whenever current one dies.

EsW5KW1.png

After ~30 mice over nearly 40 years, this is finally 'the one.'
I also have a mouse from Logitech, but a little simpler. For some reason, it is important for me that there is this place for the thumb, and of course high sensitivity

I have/had a box full of mice... though many of them are ancient now, as once I got a good one, I stopped buying a new one as often. I was less likely to buy cheap ones.
Before I got a Microsoft gaming mouse I may have got a new one at least once a year.
After I got the Microsoft Gaming mouse, I have only had 3 other mice in 13 years or more.

I am back to thinking about a new one now... but not because I need one but its getting to stage my mouse is oldest part of PC. But keyboard been doing odd things so I might need a new one of those instead soon

Pretty sure I said this before but I would have got a 2nd Sensai as they really good mice, but I wasn't sure if the problem I had with it wouldn't just happen again. My sensai had been used so much I wore the silver cover off it, was becoming transparent

When I first got my Rival 600 5+ years ago now, I tried to update the firmware on the mouse and it didn't work right. It turned it into a block of plastic. I contacted Steelseries and they sent me a file to flash BIOS back to stock and it worked again. I was really reluctant to do it again. So I ignored it for a while...

A while being until about 10 minutes ago. I only did it as I am watching videos on a new keyboard I might get and he flashed it
- I can't tell any difference but it lets it support newer software options... such as... it seems they have changed their RGB software so after updating mouse I have a lot more choices than before.

not like I spend a lot of time looking at my mouse.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
Zowie EC1-B Its big enough to be comfortable only has the 2 forward and back switches on the side extra, doesnt have RGB (a plus) and doesnt have any software at all.

Theres a DPI and polling rate toggle switch on the bottom, so if you wanted to change settings on the fly youre out of luck.

I'm not really fussy with mice though, I had a 2012 Razer Death Adder for probably 8 years before this. Before that it was an old Dell rubber ball mouse from probably 2004.

When did gaming mice really become a big thing I wonder?

So around the turn of the century I suppose.
The first gaming mouse (regardless of propaganda from the The Verge) was made in 1992

A computer mouse made for gaming didn’t come around until 1992 with the release of Mario Paint on Super Nintendo. With the purchase of this game, users also received a special mouse. Mario Paint requires its players to point and click to paint the images. This required more freedom of motion and precision for clicking, which the mouse could accomplish.

The Verge awards 1st to a company who thinks putting RGB on everything makes it gaming. and not just cheap.

I think it started to get big around 2005, logitech had gaming mice by then (their first was in 1999).

Last edited:
a few primary features that separate a quality gaming mouse from a normal mouse

In a similar vein, couple of snippets from my notes:

Buying Questions
Grip: Finger, Palm, Claw
Handed: Right, left, both
Max Price
Number of buttons?
RGB: Yes, Meh, No
Weight: Light, Med, Hvy
Wired, Wireless, Either

Gaming Mouse Extras
Ambidextrous a plus for multi-user
Battery long-lasting eg 50-100 hours
Battery rechargeable for wireless
Button placement minimizes accidental pressing
Buttons programmable
Click High-speed
Coating aids grip
Coating impedes dirt
DPI range large eg 400-16,000
Glide smooth and easy
Latency Low
Profiles for Games and/or Users
Scroll Wheel click action
Shape adjustable
Switch response time Low eg 0.2ms
Warranty 2+ years
Weight adjustable
Wireless

The latest trend is ultra light mice, which can only go so light and remain wireless

Guess they could remove rgb but then would it classify as gaming?

I expect there has to be a trade off somewhere between battery life and weight. You can't have both.

I don't need a light mouse. I actually like the weight of my current one and it comes with extra weights. Also don't like wireless ones even though I have used a few. Batteries always end up being a problem - main reason I stopped using a Microsoft Gaming Mouse.

Oct 20, 2023
Visit site
I have/had a box full of mice... though many of them are ancient now, as once I got a good one, I stopped buying a new one as often. I was less likely to buy cheap ones.
Before I got a Microsoft gaming mouse I may have got a new one at least once a year.
After I got the Microsoft Gaming mouse, I have only had 3 other mice in 13 years or more.

I am back to thinking about a new one now... but not because I need one but its getting to stage my mouse is oldest part of PC. But keyboard been doing odd things so I might need a new one of those instead soon

Pretty sure I said this before but I would have got a 2nd Sensai as they really good mice, but I wasn't sure if the problem I had with it wouldn't just happen again. My sensai had been used so much I wore the silver cover off it, was becoming transparent
Yes, my wife taught me to buy more expensive things, but they really last significantly longer. But I hate choosing them so much because it’s very difficult to choose everything to be perfect, and when you choose it with the thought “it will serve me for a long time and there will be no need to buy another one,” then making a choice is even more difficult. Sometimes you have to order something purely for yourself. Otherwise I will be tormented by the thought that it could have been better.

Expensive doesn't mean good. It can be over priced junk people buy because it has a name on it. Fashion is full of examples of that. There is a computer company I could mention that is more style than substance. Actually there are a few of those.

But if you choose right, you are more likely to get good quality stuff if you pay more.
I see it this way, I use mouse and keyboard almost all the time, so they might as well be good. Currently deciding which of 2 keyboards I will buy. They both same maker, just different sizes.

There will always be something better. Very few things are perfect... diamonds maybe? I don't buy for perfect, I buy for "the best I can afford without going mad". I bought new sunglasses last weekend, could have paid more for some but I just bought what I wanted instead.

It may not exist at time you buy whatever but it won't be the best forever (there are possible exceptions to this) unless the technology used to create it no longer is possible... then I guess the Saturn 5 rockets are the best ones we will ever make as only as we don't know how some of the parts in those were made any more... who knew technology was meant to progress.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Actually, ultra light mice... how to charge customers more for including less material and saying that is a feature
note: not this mouse, its actually cheap... but most others aren't.

No wonder some are advertised as water/dust proof as it would be asking for problems otherwise.

• Haha
There is a computer company I could mention that is more style than substance.
Don't badmouth Alienware. My laptop was amazing.

Geez, what can the saving be? Wild guess max 10 grams—would that make a diff to people?

[For the system-challenged, 10g ~= ⅓ of an ounce]
Sure, if you are looking at mouse stats and you are trying to figure out why you aren't a pro and completely disregard genetics because you don't like the concept of "fate". Seriously, I bet statistics like weight, even tiny differences, are the deciding factors for some.

TRENDING THREADS