New to gaming, peripherals?

Feb 1, 2023
Visit site
Hey guys. I currently have Logitech peripherals. A G613 and G604 respectively. What I don’t like about the keyboard is the tall keys, my fingers hang up on them. I’m used to a lower profile keyboard.

As far as the mouse, I like the side buttons and the infinite scroll wheel, but the Logitech software is a pain and I’d like some more options. I was looking at the razer naga v2 pro and the black widow v4 pro but I thought I’d ask here first.

I’ve run across mountain Everest max which seems unique, Logitech stuff, roccat stuff, etc. but those two piqued my interest. What are your thoughts? Money isn’t an issue as far as pricing as I’d probably be keeping each for the long term (not looking to have the latest and greatest each year) but I do want to buy once. The set I have now was to get me into the gaming world. I also have evolved a bit and use the keyboard more than the mouse now.

I started with ghost recon breakpoint and mapped the side buttons for crouch, prone, run and the other row for primary, secondary, pistol. But I don’t use them much. I’d still like side buttons but am just stating that that’s the reason I got that particular mouse in the first place. Thanks!

[Mod edit: added paragraphs.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Mice are very personal items, so you'll get pro and anti opinions about all models. Best thing you can do is visit stores and physically test as many as you can.

If you can provide some basic info about your preferences, someone here might have useful commentary. Examples:
Weight: Light, Med, Hvy
Grip: Finger, Palm, Claw
Number of buttons?
Handed: Right, left, both
RGB: Yes, Meh, No
Max Price
Wired, Wireless, Either

Pending someone knowledgeable arriving:

Feb 1, 2023
Visit site
Mice are very personal items, so you'll get pro and anti opinions about all models. Best thing you can do is visit stores and physically test as many as you can.

If you can provide some basic info about your preferences, someone here might have useful commentary. Examples:
Weight: Light, Med, Hvy
Grip: Finger, Palm, Claw
Number of buttons?
Handed: Right, left, both
RGB: Yes, Meh, No
Max Price
Wired, Wireless, Either

Pending someone knowledgeable arriving:

Weight: No preference really. I guess not TOO light, but that's about it.
Grip: I like a thumb rest but be able to grip my pinky around the other side
Number of buttons? My current mouse has 6 on the side. So somewhere between 3 and 6 i guess.
Handed: Right
RGB: Yes but if performance outweighs lighting, performance. I was looking at corsair stuff as i have an i8100 with icue and thought it would be cool
Max Price - under 600 for both preferably
Wireless preferred unless function outweighs form

Grip: I like a thumb rest but be able to grip my pinky around the other side

Palm Grip, bigger mouse
iQDrZVk.png

—…—
Finger Grip, more precise, small mouse
KNRSgut.png

—…—
Claw Grip, rare, small mouse
djIfnx3.png

—…—
Grip f Aim
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTLdpMrHcls

—…—
Grip styles
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncGbzV2qS48

—…—
Grip types

—…—
There may be better, but best YouTuber I know for mice reviews and advice is Brandon Taylor—he may have a review of whatever you're interested in.

Feb 1, 2023
Visit site
Palm Grip, bigger mouse
iQDrZVk.png

—…—
Finger Grip, more precise, small mouse
KNRSgut.png

—…—
Claw Grip, rare, small mouse
djIfnx3.png

—…—
Grip f Aim
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTLdpMrHcls

—…—
Grip styles
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncGbzV2qS48

—…—
Grip types

—…—
There may be better, but best YouTuber I know for mice reviews and advice is Brandon Taylor—he may have a review of whatever you're interested in.
Thank you for helping to educate! Palm grip is how I use my mouse with a thumb rest. No pinky rest.

Razer Synapse sucks. Its the software you have to use to get any functionality out of the hardware... their hardware is okay but not good enough to overshadow their software. Shame some companies get so big they can ignore fixing software... Razer and Nvidia come to mind.

Steelseries make good mice, they tend to last me a long time.

I just ordered a Logi G402 again after trying a G502, which didn't work out for me. First and foremost I have to say the grip surface used matters a LOT to me. I don't like that Logi uses a very thin silicone feeling coating that has two problems. It is not grippy enough, and it wears through.

The G502 at about 114 gm was too heavy, especially since they've gone to a more svelte, flush transfer from thumb grip and left click area to thumb buttons and DPI adjust buttons. That combined with heavier weight than my 100 gm G402 caused me to accidentally hit DPI and thumb buttons a lot, whereas with the G402 I only occasionally have mishaps with the DPI adjust buttons.

I picked up the replacement G402 at my local Best Buy after ordering it online for just $20. Had I realized they had SO many gaming mice not only on display, but loose enough to feel the weight as well, I'd have probably made the decision which to buy in store. I MUCH prefer the feel of the Razer Basilisk, it had a much more secure grip surface, and the DPI adjust buttons are place out of the way of the LMB behind the scroll wheel.

However I made the decision in store to still opt for the G402 I was picking up, mainly due to problems I had with Synapse 2 some time ago, and I've also read recent problems on Razer's support board with issues of it suddenly losing peripheral detection going unsolved. Last night though I was reminded of what a PITA even the G402 is as far as the DPI buttons go. So today I had Best Buy price match Amazon on a Razer Basilisk V3, which will arrive tomorrow with free shipping.

That should give me enough time to test out the Basilisk (more like Synapse 3) within the 15 day refund policy on the G402 (14 days left as of now). The main problem I had with Synapse 2 was it was finnicky to install and uninstall, but since I was only using it to get more fine tuning on a non Razer brand of headphones, there was no issues with software conflicts or detection. Obviously a mouse, even though having far less bindings than a keyboard, needs more support than that, so I worry it will be problematic.

It's annoying to me that a product that is so ergo and personal preference as a gaming mouse is also typically fraught with one kind of problem or another. I considered the Steel Series Rival 600 as well, which was one of a handful that fit my 130 mm length, under 100 gm criteria close enough, but several had said the grip surface material came off. The good thing is Steel Series will "stick" with you on such things, even if what they put on there isn't sticking, but it would kind of be a hassle I think.

Like Colif though, I am baffled that a gaming peripheral company as big and successful as Razer would settle for such shoddy software and lead customers to believe it's not been problematic, even though their own support boards indicate otherwise. The kid I spoke to in their tech support department regarding presales questions on the Basilisk and Synapse also thought I was referring to sensor speed when I asked what the polling rate options were, and yes, I let him know he should know better than that.

Now that there's a trend of a lot of eSports type ultra light mice, there's less tendency toward grippy side panels, durability, and being big enough to fit med to large hands. So the problems are only getting worse for me. I picked up a couple of Corsairs in the store to get the feel of them too, but whatever they're using to try to be a grip surface isn't grippy at all.

OP, if you manage to narrow it down to a preferred size and weight, here's a handy chart that shows a lot of gaming mice. It's a bit outdated but the links on the right side will usually take you to the manufacturer page of the current version (provided they are popular models that still sell). There's FAR more info other than size and weight as well.

Also, you are NOT necessarily stuck having to refund a Razer mouse if Synapse doesn't work out for you. The combination of Razer selling a ton of product and their software being not so great has lead to MANY alternatives to Synapse that work with pretty much any mouse, and most if not all are free.

Last edited:
  • Love
Oct 18, 2023
Visit site
Definitely a trial and error thing. Might have to mod a mouse or keyboard to suit your preferences. As Brian Boru said, going to a store and testing in person is a good idea. One thing I highly recommend is wired, or products that can be wired or wireless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts