What is the best shooting game on PC?

Page 5 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

What is the best shooter on PC?

• CS:GO (1 or 2)

Votes: 496 18.0%
  • PUBG

Votes: 748 27.2%
  • Battlefield Game

Votes: 179 6.5%
  • Valorant

Votes: 218 7.9%
  • Call of Duty Game

Votes: 645 23.5%
  • Far Cry

Votes: 80 2.9%
  • Doom

Votes: 73 2.7%
  • Something else - please comment

Votes: 310 11.3%

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2023
Visit site
Simple question: What in your opinion is the best shooter on PC?

just vote if game already listed above.

Rules

• Only PC games accepted
  • Only post if your game isn't already listed above, If you post about a game already mentioned in the poll, your post will be removed.
  • Only post if your game hasn't previously been mentioned by someone else, don't quote their post, liking it is enough.
  • Posts repeating suggestions will be removed
  • Off topic posts will be removed.
Arma 3 because it is kinda a war simulator

Reactions: Lil Dyslexic doG

PCG Dash

Staff member
Apr 7, 2023
Visit site
I feel just on a purely mechanical level you really can't go wrong with Call Of Duty. Basically any game in the series was the absolute leader in gun feel, sound, and model fidelity at the time of release.

Even today, the guns in the new MWII feel absolutely incredible and imo are leagues ahead of the competition.

Being other games, I would name are already on the list or some of the series. I will say Saints Row The Third- Steam near 1000 hours. SRTT was fun and 2 player co-op, though only the host got rewards etc. It was more fun playing against each other while in a normal play through and fighting the bots or Ginky, or break from each other kill the bots, then while not thinking, again kill each other. The game was not meant for 1vs1 or while fighting playing the normal co-op play through. Big fun. Awesome good times.

Aso Fallout 4- Steam over 3000 hours. Fallout 3- disc over 3500 hours. Fallout NV- Steam about 500 hours. I do not much use VATS other than a screen or maybe slomo in a game play video. Melee kind of sucks, swing, your character takes a second or 2 to react, but gun play is not bad. I love the lore and large worlds. It is almost a toss-up between 3 or 4 as my fav of the 2- maybe 4 because of the settlement building crafting. I have them all on Steam other than FO76. I also have all of the Skyrim type games but only like 4 hours between those, again poor melee combat imo like FO games mentioned above.

Games I would have posted are STALKER SOC- disc about 7000 hours maybe 50/50 nilla and mod. Stalker SOC or the others in the series are maybe the harder games. I always played on the hardest level, but you can only kill everything in the game with head shots, and not always just 1 shot kills. So your aim gets pretty good with only head shots and carried over to every other game I play. I wait the Stalker 2, but if an Epic exclusive I might not ever buy it. I normally skip such hate for Steam games, or wait until they are in a bundle with 9 other games for maybe 5 dollars or when the game goty is on steam for like 5 dollars. Unreal Tournament 2004- over 8000 hours mostly MP TDM and the Rankin map- but like SP and a few of the other modes also. Borderlands- disc about 3500 hours both SP and Co-op. BL2- Steam about 1000 hours mostly SP. I also have these on Steam. I am disabled, can sit here and play most days 15 or more hours a day. These days I mostly play SP. I will sometimes play 2 player co-op with girl friends on Steam or a few of us maybe 6 total play something like Killing floor or KF2. I got away from most all MP and strangers because of the cheating, and is in all of those type games, well better than half playing use the cheat programs. So why bother. If we can set up private server or listen servers and invite only our friends, we like to do so.

I lost all my disc games in a house fire, over 400 games lost in fire. So some games I also have on steam have way fewer hours than I actually played. I have near 1600 on Steam alone but have others and some same games on EA Uplay RockStar etc. I have never played a console or use a controller. I build my own Gaming PC's. I like taking posting Screen Shots and Recording my game play and making Animated Gifs from my game play videos etc. My Youtube is a free account- I being disabled and on SSDI am not allowed to make side money. I make no money off my game play vids- they are just for fun or help or like walk throughs. I touched a PC for the first time in 2004 when I became disabled. A friend was on a mac playing Unreal Tournament 2003-4? I thought it was really cool- He showed me a few things and set me up a yahoo account. A few months later 3ish from reading on net, I built my first PC. My first 2 games I bought played was Unreal Tournament 2004 and Halflife2. This year December, I will be on Steam 19+ years.

I hope you all have a great day/ night and have fun :)

Last edited:
Reminder

just vote if game already listed above.

Rules

• Only PC games accepted
  • Only post if your game isn't already listed above, If you post about a game already mentioned in the poll, your post will be removed.
  • Only post if your game hasn't previously been mentioned by someone else, don't quote their post, liking it is enough.
  • Posts repeating suggestions will be removed
  • Off topic posts will be removed.

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
I grew up with Counter-Strike 1.6 and Source but I would have to say Half-Life, definitely a genre defining game for the time. plus the console port on PS2 wasn't too bad..but man what I would do to go back and experience Half-Life again.

Reactions: Lil Dyslexic doG
Jul 7, 2023
Visit site
Ummm... Has everyone forgot about Battlefield (specifcally BF3)???!!!!? I can't think of a better FPS. Betwen the graphics, gameplay, vehicles and weapons... Just incredible! That being said... I've been out of PC gaming for 8-9 years or so, perhaps take my vote with a grain of salt.

Building a new PC from the ground up with a shiny new 4090 GPU (which, by the way, i kinda need help with! LOL If anyone wants assist). So i'm looking at checking out what the gaming world has to offer these days

Reactions: Brian Boru
Aug 17, 2023
Visit site
OpenArena

Venge.io

Forward Assault Remix

Xonotic

Cube 2: Sauerbraten

Warsow

AssaultCube

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Alien Arena

I play these games regularly on FreeBSD and they are all excellent shooters.
It's hard to say which one is best. But if I have to choose, I would pick OpenArena.
OpenArena is very similar to Quake III and Quake III is considered by many to be the best shooter ever made.

Aug 17, 2023
Visit site
Quake 3 vs CS skill (question on reddit)

Q: From that experience and based on what I've seen in competitive play videos on Youtube, Quake 3 seemed to require an insane amount of hand-eye coordination, coupled with ridiculous reaction timing and huge database of all the item respawn, locations and location awareness in order to compete competitively. And overall the game of CS just seems like molasses compared to how fast pace Q3 is. So not to say who is really right or wrong but how does Quake 3 compare to CS on a fundamental individual skill leve?

A: I've played a lot of both and I think Quake definitely has a steeper learning curve and requires a higher level of skill. This opinion is often reflected by friends that have played both with me, and they always give up on Quake and would rather play CS because they feel it is easier. I also think that it is harder to get "lucky" in Quake seeing as the guns don't have a spread as they do in CS (except the shotgun and machine gun.) The faster movement, wider variety of weapons, and more 3 dimensional map layout also allows you to try unorthodox techniques in order to gain an advantage. There are people who are just naturally good at both, but I think the awareness and dexterity required for Quake is greater.

Aug 20, 2023
Visit site
What is that actually like, it gave me some Counter-Strike-style vibes originally with a sprinkle of Overwatch.
I think your impression of it is spot on. It does share similarities with both CS and Overwatch. Main difference, though, with the former is the abilities. Each Valorant agent has unique abilities, and I guess this feature establishes a role system in the game, meaning a team can be composed of "supports", "duelers", etc. Still, FPS gameplay is at the core of the game. At times I can go a few rounds without utilising most of my abilities and let my guns do the work. So, I think because of the FPS focus, it also differs from Overwatch in this regard.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
I think your impression of it is spot on. It does share similarities with both CS and Overwatch. Main difference, though, with the former is the abilities. Each Valorant agent has unique abilities, and I guess this feature establishes a role system in the game, meaning a team can be composed of "supports", "duelers", etc. Still, FPS gameplay is at the core of the game. At times I can go a few rounds without utilising most of my abilities and let my guns do the work. So, I think because of the FPS focus, it also differs from Overwatch in this regard.

Thank you for advising. I am actually considering giving it a try now after your response.

TRENDING THREADS