May 2023 Random Game Thoughts Thread

Page 6 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I am on the fence about whether to buy the Switch/Game and the whole shebang, I sent a mail to Nintendo about my thoughts. So, I'll let them answer about the Switch Pro, Cloud-based gaming, and how they can convince an old Nintendo user from the '80s/90's to perhaps fall in love with a new console.

Good luck with that, but I have a feeling Nintendo do things their way. ;)

Reactions: Frindis and Pifanjr
Since I am on the fence about whether to buy the Switch/Game and the whole shebang, I sent a mail to Nintendo about my thoughts. So, I'll let them answer about the Switch Pro, Cloud-based gaming, and how they can convince an old Nintendo user from the '80s/90's to perhaps fall in love with a new console.
Did they make a redesigned Switch? The original one is terrible to hold. But I don't like the whole console ecosystem of charging $70 for 20 year old games, so I've just abandoned it. Would definitely subscribe to a streaming service. Write them another letter and tell them I'm on with that :)

Did they make a redesigned Switch? The original one is terrible to hold. But I don't like the whole console ecosystem of charging $70 for 20 year old games, so I've just abandoned it. Would definitely subscribe to a streaming service. Write them another letter and tell them I'm on with that :)
Not yet, but perhaps there is hope on the horizon. I actually thought the same when I looked at the Switch, so I have a wireless SN30 Pro waiting that is Switch compatible. I like that the controller comes with HDMI (thought DVI would have been better for speed I think) so you can hook it up to a computer screen and I have heard some people talk about being able to play it on an LG OLED TV at 60fps through using something called True Motion.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
One thing I'll say is if you haven't held on to your old consoles and wish to play old games, you can subscribe to one of their Switch Online plans. The more expensive plan includes games from N64 and GBA and is less than $5 monthly.

Just realised my humble bundle credit is about to expire in june and it seems like with the spring sale around i might be able to buy something to keep the credit valid. The only problem is that:

a: i'm the eternal cheapskate and i want to get something cheap to refresh the timer.

B: I still want to benefit from the opportunity and invest in something worthwhile...

c:... Theres nothing i want for the prices on offer.

Naturally, i'm crying over smll amounts of money and i have till the end of may to decide, but even so, its distracting me a lot. Its not helped that i'm still smarting from a stupid purchase for i made recently for £197. Metaphorically speaking its like i've shot both my feet and i'm being kicked whilst on the ground for good measure.

Still i have options, i've highlighted a few items of interest, namely some DLC, some games going for 0.70-£4. Question is whether i want them. I just want to renew the timer for the least amount of money atm.

I don't think you can play all the games though...
Well, that's a common problem with ANY streaming service regardless of content, availability becomes an issue, as does performance. The fact that even the juggernaut Google could not get Stadia to catch on, despite having possibly THE biggest infrastructure in YouTube servers to stream it, kind of paints a clear picture on how overrated streaming services are.

Nintendo have been around a LONG time, but part of what makes them so successful is how they market themselves and being careful in choosing what services they do and don't buy into.

Which is the backwards. old fashioned, idiotic way. They could make so much more money by modernizing their set-up.
Well, after the Google Stadia service didn't catch on, streaming in general doesn't exactly scream instant success. Nintendo are actually doing really well financially for a company you claim to be "idiotic".

There's now talk on Facebook of even NFL games possibly becoming limited to streaming service. I DO NOT like that idea AT ALL!

The fact that so many want to cash in on tech oriented services like streaming is exactly why I feel it is often plagued with performance problems and now often costs as much as cable. Too many are rushing it into service without properly testing it first.

The USA in general is FAR too slow to realize problems in the tech industry in sore need of proper regulation until it is too late. Europe is already making headway on establishing laws that regulate use of AI for example, while idiotic US politicians are throwing caution to the wind.

The bottom line for me is being more tech oriented and more convenient does not automatically make such services better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Well, after the Google Stadia service didn't catch on, streaming in general doesn't exactly scream instant success. Nintendo are actually doing really well financially for a company you claim to be "idiotic".

There's now talk on Facebook of even NFL games possibly becoming limited to streaming service. I DO NOT like that idea AT ALL!

The fact that so many want to cash in on tech oriented services like streaming is exactly why I feel it is often plagued with performance problems and now often costs as much as cable. Too many are rushing it into service without properly testing it first.

The USA in general is FAR too slow to realize problems in the tech industry in sore need of proper regulation until it is too late. Europe is already making headway on establishing laws that regulate use of AI for example, while idiotic US politicians are throwing caution to the wind.

The bottom line for me is being more tech oriented and more convenient does not automatically make such services better.
Stadia was run horribly. Both Xbox and Playstation have been very successful with streaming. Stadia was a mess from the beginning, launched with only a handful of games, etc. I bet Nintendo knows better than to compare their chances with Stadia.

Wait, weren't you implying they were idiots just prior?
Nope, not at all. I said their business philosophy, which has been in place since the mid-80's, was backward and idiotic--now, not then. What they are is too conservative to change it. That in no way makes them idiots.

Most everyone should understand why Stadia failed at this point. They were charging more than Xbox Game Pass and had little to nothing to give you in return. Who would sign up to Stadia for only a few games when you could sign up to Xbox or Playstation for hundreds of games--not to mention better games? I seriously doubt that situation would fly over a Nintendo executive's head. Most people who manage to dress themselves in the morning could see the problem. Google just refused to put any more money into it because they didn't believe in it. They announced their product and then a month later Xbox embarrassed them by offering streaming on their own service. There wasn't anything Google could do about it at that point.

Nope, not at all. I said their business philosophy, which has been in place since the mid-80's, was backward and idiotic--now, not then. What they are is too conservative to change it. That in no way makes them idiots.

Most everyone should understand why Stadia failed at this point. They were charging more than Xbox Game Pass and had little to nothing to give you in return. Who would sign up to Stadia for only a few games when you could sign up to Xbox or Playstation for hundreds of games--not to mention better games? I seriously doubt that situation would fly over a Nintendo executive's head. Most people who manage to dress themselves in the morning could see the problem. Google just refused to put any more money into it because they didn't believe in it. They announced their product and then a month later Xbox embarrassed them by offering streaming on their own service. There wasn't anything Google could do about it at that point.

Well Google DID do a big show though trying to convince people it would grow, as they signed on and partnered with many developers. Even Jade Raymond got sucked into it, and she's one of the best studio leads Ubi ever had before they went crazy with tiered loot crap.

Turned out as you said they weren't willing to commit as much to it as it would take to make it successful. Google seem to have an affinity for experimenting with things they end up dumping.

I really don't like the trend toward streaming though, and I feel it follows the compressed music trend, only the drop in quality is even more noticeable now. The average consumer stopped caring about quality products long ago.

Last edited:
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

MORTAL KOMBAT 1 ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER

Im looking forward to this, i have been a MK fan ever since i was old enough to remember, the only fighting game i like and it comes out in 4 short months.

On top of this, Starship Troopers: Extinction hit early access, bought it right away and its fun! Theres a lot of reasons why its still in early accesss mind you but, as a starship troopers fan having read all the material on it and doing my part in buying the game, its great. Runs pretty good, looks good and finds matches pretty quickly (for me).

On top of that W40K Boltgun comes out this month, so ill get my fill of a new boomer shooter, Diablo 4 comes out the week after for early access members and.... oh yea Destiny 2's next season starts next tuesday.

I have to say 2023 has been an amazing year for game releases for me so far, regardless of all the downs. Crysis 4 and Gothic Remake would be really nice and hopefully Starfield wont be a dud, other than that, we still have a lot of good stuff to come.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
MORTAL KOMBAT 1 ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER

Im looking forward to this, i have been a MK fan ever since i was old enough to remember, the only fighting game i like and it comes out in 4 short months.
I really appreciate the series, but I have a huge problem with it. The entry point is out of the roof. I mean, the single player campaign is ok, but I tried MK11 multi a few months ago and got wrecked. I couldn't even strike a single blow to the guy the game picked. :ROFLMAO: That really wasn't fun... :p

Continuing to play Prey (2017), and I'm really getting into it now. Prey starts slow, as you're gradually fed story information, and very gradually find different weapons and Neuromods to progress your skills. But now that I've got all the weapons (I think), multiple grenade types, and more advanced skills, my options on how to proceed have increased, and I find myself playing a bit more aggressively.

I wonder if this was partially why some players abandoned this game, with the slow start and slow character progression? Just my thought. Prey (2017) definitely deserved more popularity than it received. I also like that Arkane paid tribute to Looking Glass Studios, the developers of System Shock 1 & 2, which obviously was an influence in how Prey was made.
a6J5yQG.jpg

I'm playing as the female Morgan Yu, though I don't think it makes any difference if you're the male or female version. I'm also trying to stay strictly to the "human" skill trees and not taking any of the "Typhon" (alien) skill trees (there are 3 skill trees for each). I don't know if it will make a difference in the end, but it feels like something I should do.

Continuing to play Prey (2017), and I'm really getting into it now. Prey starts slow, as you're gradually fed story information, and very gradually find different weapons and Neuromods to progress your skills. But now that I've got all the weapons (I think), multiple grenade types, and more advanced skills, my options on how to proceed have increased, and I find myself playing a bit more aggressively.

I wonder if this was partially why some players abandoned this game, with the slow start and slow character progression? Just my thought. Prey (2017) definitely deserved more popularity than it received. I also like that Arkane paid tribute to Looking Glass Studios, the developers of System Shock 1 & 2, which obviously was an influence in how Prey was made.
a6J5yQG.jpg

I'm playing as the female Morgan Yu, though I don't think it makes any difference if you're the male or female version. I'm also trying to stay strictly to the "human" skill trees and not taking any of the "Typhon" (alien) skill trees (there are 3 skill trees for each). I don't know if it will make a difference in the end, but it feels like something I should do.
Such a good game. I did the same, didnt use any of the Typhon skills because it felt like a bad idea for my character. Been meaning to play it again full time and do the opposite, some of the powers look like a lot of fun.

The Gloo gun is great fun to mess around with, make stairs with, block doors, or just Gloo up enemies and shotgun/wrench the hell out of them. Best weird physics weapon I've seen in a game since the Gravity gun in HL2 IMO.

Mortal Kombat games look so fantastic, especially the fatalities, but I'm so bad I have to use one move in each fight like Low kick, low kick, low kick, low kick... I remember beating Streetfighter with button-mashing Blanacs lightning attack. My friends got angry at me because I would just use one attack all the time, but you have to do what you can to survive man!

Last edited:
Mortal Kombat games look so fantastic, especially the fatalities, but I'm so bad I have to use one move in each fight like Low kick, low kick, low kick, low kick... I remember beating Streetfighter with button-mashing Blanacs lightning attack. My friends got angry at me because I would just use one attack all the time, but you have to do what you can to survive man!
That's so me. You and I could team up to have the most boring fight in Mortal Kombat history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS