May 2023 Random Game Thoughts Thread

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Redfall seems pretty sad. I am glad I did not preorder. Being Arkane I thought it would be great. I actually held off buying because of the highier cost and it had Denuvo which Beth does not normally add to games.

I do not buy early access games anymore. I have been burned on them, they might go under or take a lifetime to actually be complete and released or might not be the same game at all when released. I like some might not wait years to buy a game but might wait for some reviews and first 1 or 2 good sales. I might not ever buy a game at all if say a made its fame PC game dev but A game comes out as a console or epic exclusive and Steam players have to wait a year or more. I am like- no thanks- you get none of my cash. Or if I ever do buy anything from that company or dev again the game is a goty version in a bundle with 9 or more other games for 5 or 10 dollars. or the Goty version is on steam for less than 10 dollars and even then I might not buy. I might not buy the bundle if I already have most of the games in it. Sadly many games use unreal engine. I almost wish to never buy a game that uses it but will wait until the cost is real low. Is a few devs I protest with my wallet.

I as of last night am a little upset. I wanted to install a few games I played before. More hope to skip around from cloud save in 4K and get a few screen shots etc. Well seems my Crysis 3 Hunter Edition does not even show in my Steam list anymore tho I have tons of the game screens in my library. I have a digi deluxe ed showing in EA app and installed it. EA dont even show on sale page the Hunter Edition anymore. Says I have like 30 hours play time but is no saves. I have to start a new game. I read EA pulled a lot of stuff from Steam because a glitch or exploit when added ea pass or something to Steam. So sorry scam hack cheat type people ruin my game on Steam and was not installed and or never played with them or nothing else. I think I might contact EA or something. I want my game back on Steam and save games if possible and able to use the Steam overlay etc like before. As of now if try and add as none Steam game Steam will launch it but nothing overlay works. If I cannot get it back on Steam is a reason, I will never- ever buy anything EA again. I have a few more games EA I bought on Steam, not sure if in my Steam library or not but are showing in EA game list library. I bought to play on Steam and is what I expect. I need calm down before try and call them on phone or something. Lol.

Last edited:
Still grinding away at Death Stranding. The game is way more fun than I ever thought it was. Really gives me that “one more turn…” feeling, but it’s more like “one more delivery”!

Feels great leveling up outposts, leveling your skills, unlocking new tools, and seeing the world change all around you as you progress. It’s refreshing to have different levels for each stat but no perk system, it really lets you show how far you’ve progressed while doling out beneficial abilities as you get better and play more.

Death Stranding gives me a great sense of progression, like my contributions are making a difference. I love logging in and seeing how many other players used a road I helped rebuild, and I love liking other players structures as much as I can to give them that feeling I get when I receive likes. I’m able to like someone’s structure up to 500 times before my timer runs out so that definitely helps a lot haha.

The story itself is interesting, though pretentious. It takes itself super seriously and dramatically, but really the story is goofy as hell and all over the place. That doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of it though, I love all these weird new sci-fi concepts that I have to memorize and the characters are well performed and acted.

The main gameplay loop is seriously addicting. I love loading up as many orders as I can, really pushing the limits of what Sam and his exoskeleton are capable of. Taking a truck is useful if you’re going to a spot near a rebuilt road, or at least helpful for getting you halfway to your destination. Sometimes I head out on foot with just one delivery so I can try to pick up as much lost cargo as I can along the way.

Grinding for level 3 tools is fun too. It’s so satisfying to drop off a ton of orders all at once and watch how many likes you get in one go.

I really appreciate the Half Life and Cyberpunk 2077 crossover collabs. The gravity gloves from Half Life Alyx are very functional and useful, they’re able to magnetize and pull packages from a short distance away straight to you. I find it most useful when accidentally dropping your cargo in water, you can just pull it to you from shore rather than wading through the water to pick them up. I believe I have more Half Life items to get, and definitely more Cyberpunk ones as well. So far for the Cyberpunk collab I got a HUD hack which allows you to mark a waypoint to never auto-hide from your view which is useful across long journeys. It’s really awesome to see video game crossovers that isn’t just cosmetic skins, and actually functional items from one game useful in another. More collabs need to be like this.

I really don’t have much gripes with the game, it’s been a very fun and addicting experience overall. I highly recommend it to people who like story based single player games that require a slow and methodical play style. It definitely is unique, weird, and not for everybody. I got it last Christmas on Epic Games Store so for free, so I was able to try it without losing money. I would still pay money for this game, but the unfortunate fact is that the game takes a long time to fully open up, so with Steam’s rule of less than 2 hours playtime for a refund, it may be best to watch a lot of videos on the game first to see if you’d be into it.

Zloth

Community Contributor
You guys like perfection? C'mon, who doesn't, even if secretly?
Curt Henning will be glad to hear that!

Still grinding away at Death Stranding. The game is way more fun than I ever thought it was. Really gives me that “one more turn…” feeling, but it’s more like “one more delivery”!
Done many pizza deliveries? Or are those only Director's Cut?

Done many pizza deliveries? Or are those only Director's Cut?
Done one so far! Need to do some more. I like the deliveries that add slight variation like the pizza delivery ones where you have to keep the package upright. Haven’t upgraded to the directors cut yet and so far it seems tempting but I think I’ll save my money for now since I’m already having lots of fun with the base version.

Dreamlight Valley does a great job tempting you with skins. At first I thought the game would fail as a free-to-play, but the skins they come up with are pretty impressive. Right now, for instance, you can turn your standard looking house into Cinderella's castle from Disney World. I'm not buying anything, but I can see how that would be a must get for someone who was really into the game. And this week's furniture collection is also good, although the game gives you so much good furniture that it's hardly necessary.

LOL, you guys make me hungry for Pizza, and want to buy check out that game- Death Stranding. I started to buy it a few times. Maybe next time I see it at a good sale price I will get it, and maybe the Directors Cut. I always Try to buy the versions that have the most or all content, unless its just a few skins or sound trac or art book type stuff. If not added quests, I will keep my money or normally.

Oh I figured out and correct myself on Crysis 3 Hunter Ed. and contact /ea again before they get back with me. They did respond and try to help. I found my old receipt from Fed 2012 from Gaming Dragons and was the Origin Version- not Steam. I must have added it as a none Steam game so I could use the over-lay. The over-lay does not work now tho. I told them I was sorry and am a honest man and honest mistake. Oh well. :(

4K is as good as any reason to run through it again. Not sure what happen to the cloud saves. I will survive.

Last edited:
LOL, you guys make me hungry for Pizza, and want to buy check out that game- Death Stranding. I started to buy it a few times. Maybe next time I see it at a good sale price I will get it, and maybe the Directors Cut. I always Try to buy the versions that have the most or all content, unless its just a few skins or sound trac or art book type stuff. If not added quests, I will keep my money or normally.

Director’s Cut definitely seems worth the upgrade. I’ve only read about it, still haven’t got it yet because I would need to redownload the whole game, can’t do that at the moment.

Director’s Cut helps make the early game a bit easier, with an exoskeleton to help with traversal and a gun early in the game. In the base game it took me nearly 15 hours to get both of those haha. It also adds tons of missions and side quests to do, and increases variety by adding race tracks and a firing range with some challenge missions. Plus more customizations, more useful structures like a catapult and more highways that can be built, and apparently better performance, though that’s not an issue for me on the base game. Overall it seems like the way to go if interested.

Director's Crust, maybe?

I've heard of Wheel Cut, Rocker Cut, Knife Cut, Scissors Cut—I combine last with a fav topping for the classic Scisseroni.

I prefer my Director’s Crust with extra Norman Cheesus :yum:

I found a big dungeon in Minecraft that I'm still working on exploring fully. It's gotten me a ton of ores and my first diamonds, so that's nice. Now that I've got some resources, I've started looking through the mods again to see what to build first. I'll at least build a set-up that allows me to get double the ingots from each ore, which I'll eventually be able to expand to get 8 times the output. After that I'll probably see if I can get some automated mining set up, but with about 3 dozen mods it takes a while to go through all my options. Especially since about half of them have little to no (written) documentation.

So far I'm pretty happy with this modpack. It felt a bit slow at first, but I think I just misremembered how much time I put into the game last time I played. The only downside in my opinion is the mod that adds elite enemies. I'm lucky enough to have spawned on a little village with roads that are on pillars above the ground, meaning that mobs generally can't reach me, but it's still a bother having to swing a sword for 5 minutes straight to kill a single monster so I can get down.
And right before I quit my last session, an elite witch spawned which can endlessly heals itself when I damage it and I don't really have anything to deal with it.

I'll have to see if I can turn off that part of the mod, or at least turn down the frequency at which the elites spawn.

So i've been playing chivalry 2 for the last 2 weeks on and off, the skill gap is certainly at a level i can manage but as the players leave/get better the window starts to close and i'll move on. The good news is that i've reached lvl 100 so milestone achieved. May play some more to see if i can get anything else out of it like some more achievements or awaken some super skills. Unlikely though with the limited map set it will be like running the same circuit again and again.

Speaking of running circuits, i was playing myhouse.wad a doom 2 wad of a modder who sadly died. honestly amazing stuff. its Cacoaward material good, and dare i say legendaryily good. i don't want to spoil too much but lets say the game is both clever, psychologically unnerving, creative, at times funny and impressive. The only problem i have with the game is that there is a lot of wandering around in endless circles in the hopes to getting the new locations to trigger. even now i still haven't gotten to the best ending of this wad and seen everything.

Lastly the more i think about hypnospace outlaw the more i feel like i've not done the game justice. Sure i didn't really have fun at times and at times i blame myself for not understanding the game or being too job focussed to appreciate it. But the world building, the characters, soundtracks and the stories in that game still lingers in the back of my mind. I came across this youtube video which does a good job of detailing the story and thoughts as to why i liked hypnospace outlaw as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIkdvGMG4gY

oh and still listening to some of the chowder man's music. The lyrics are pretty funny for some of the sound tracks. this one is got me grinning.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Might want to add that to the OP? If it's real. Maybe you need to get off the weed.
It's real, and includes tactical RPGs like Solista... which you can get for 0% off!? Somebody check Gaben's breath, please.
Director’s Cut definitely seems worth the upgrade. I’ve only read about it, still haven’t got it yet because I would need to redownload the whole game, can’t do that at the moment.

Director’s Cut helps make the early game a bit easier, with an exoskeleton to help with traversal and a gun early in the game.
Oh that gun! I misinterpreted the mission and thought I needed that gun to take part in the mission! Actually, it was trying to tell me that I'll get that gun before being sent on the mission. Oooof.

The catapult, by the way, ain't so handy. Or at least I didn't find much use for it. The training range, though, was a huge help.

I made a guide for Death Stranding Director's Cut. Huh - still not enough ratings to get a score, but there are 4 Steam awards!? That's a bit crazy. <shrug>

Yay, Guido is going to be on his university's esports team. He attended a try-out as part of freshman orientation and got invited to the team yesterday. This is the first I heard of it because I didn't go to orientation with him, and he didn't say anything about the try-out. Probably was afraid he wouldn't make the team.

Edit: Oops, I was assuming stuff. Apparently the try out was the second visit to campus. I forgot he had gone a second time.

I completed Icewind Dale EE, plus the DLC Hearts of Winter, last week and decided to try something a bit different, so I installed & started playing Prey. I don't veer too often from playing RPGs, but I was in the mood for something a bit different, and the few immersive sims I've played have felt like RPGs anyway. Plus, it's a game that's been sitting in my Steam backlog for a few years.

The beginning section, which starts in your apartment (which I suppose is sort of a tutorial), I though was awesome, especially when you learn that all is not as it seems and need to escape. Really loved that opening sequence. Prey is not a shooter type game, as weapons and ammo are rare, and you really have to stop & think about how to achieve your goals. The best approach I've found, is to slowly explore an area and work out a strategy to overcome obstacles, whether they've mimics or environmental. There are always multiple ways to advance.

It feels as much RPG as it does immersive sim. While there's no "leveling up" system as you find in RPGs, there are skill trees that you advance by finding & installing neuromods in your eye, so you can build your character in multiple ways to suit your playstyle. I'm finding certain similarities, or vibes, to Deus Ex and System Shock. It makes me wonder why this game wasn't more popular back when it was originally released.

On a somewhat related side note, I noticed that my download speeds have increased dramatically. Choice of service providers for internet is somewhat limited here in Portland, and I've been accustomed to the 3 mb per second download speed from Spectrum. But the Prey download speed was a steady 8.8 mb, almost triple my normal download speed.

And just this morning, I watched the Witcher 3 patch download (1.9 gb) and it was a steady 8.7 mb per second. I'm certainly not complaining, and I've checked my most recent bill from Spectrum which hasn't changed, but it seems really strange that my download speeds would increase so drastically.

Far Cry 6

Well color me red—like the dot from a laser sight, goes with my hair, doncha know.

Desert Eagle pistol rules!
Got this in a goodie box, and checked it against The Autocrat that's been in my loadout forever—since the time I said sidearms are useless in FC6. Didn't look too far off, and I noticed it had more mod slots than pistols usually have, and I have loads of resources by now…

The thing takes a 6x scope! I have 4x on my AR—5x on my backup loadout, just prefer the 4x sight. 6x isn't available anywhere else except probably sniper rifles… I don't use sniper, so don't know.

This is now better than my top ARs—SKS & MS 16L—except for ammo capacity, only 40.

Far Cry 6

Well color me red—like the dot from a laser sight, goes with my hair, doncha know.

Desert Eagle pistol rules!
Got this in a goodie box, and checked it against The Autocrat that's been in my loadout forever—since the time I said sidearms are useless in FC6. Didn't look too far off, and I noticed it had more mod slots than pistols usually have, and I have loads of resources by now…

The thing takes a 6x scope! I have 4x on my AR—5x on my backup loadout, just prefer the 4x sight. 6x isn't available anywhere else except probably sniper rifles… I don't use sniper, so don't know.

This is now better than my top ARs—SKS & MS 16L—except for ammo capacity, only 40.
Yeah when I found the Desert Eagle some time ago, I could tell right away it would be a no brainer replacement for my Autocrat. I simply put the best scope and suppressor on it and AP rounds. I am also now using the SVD sniper rifle set up the same way, which is great for when the Eagle's scope isn't powerful enough. The SVD is the bomb for fire rate, and has pretty good kill power too.

The ONLY time I ever wanted for a different pistol setup was when doing a rescue mission where you have to carry a guy a ways with lots of up close foes to deal with. So I set up the 1911 with a suppressor, AP rounds, and a no zoom sight, but I've yet to use it.

BTW, was going to ask Brian, I haven't gotten the wing suit yet, but I was hoping in this game there would be some wingsuit challenges like Just Cause 4 had. Does this game have such a thing?

I had a blast with wing suit challenges in Just Cause 4, and managed to get in a little extra stunt on the last one.

Stunt Man: Rico "Cheeky Boy" Rodriguez

Last edited:
Inside is a really bloody good game, feels like it could have been released today. Totally basic gameplay, but the atmosphere and art is so good. No idea what the hell is actually going on in the world as nothing is explained in words, but its horrible, I care about it and want to know whats happening and whats going to happen.

Planescape: Torment is also quite a good game, in case anyone was wondering.

SVD sniper rifle set up the same way, which is great for when the Eagle's scope isn't powerful enough
So you're not bothering with AR? I must try that combo.

rescue mission where you have to carry a guy a ways with lots of up close foes
Oh yeah, rescue Montero's son with his sister Espada's help, pain of a mission—even when you get thru the on-foot part, there's then a car chase sequence which is also crazy. Skipping that mission on current playthru.

I haven't gotten the wing suit yet
You know how? Build the Hideout Network at one of the 3 main guerrilla camps—It's my auto first build, for the wingsuit, the fast travel points, the air drops, and the extra resource caches which renew in 24 hours IRL time. Latter make a difference in first third/half of game.

wingsuit challenges
Nope. Unless Yami the car chick in Madrugada has some—she has various challenges, possible one is wingsuit, but I doubt it.

Took me 5-6 tries to get the unskippable one in the Himalayas in FC4, that caused a frustrated quit!

FC4, that caused a frustrated quit!

I am laughing. I have installed started playing delete repeat many times and still not complete that game. The main problem for me is. I never know what to do next as far as main quest go. It is no quest list. I do not know how to progress the story. Its been so long since playing I do not even know where to find the main girl and her brother. I think maybe they give quests to progress the game. I run around for a bit find stashes etc. I like flying around with the motor kite whatever its called or is it a mini chopper. I cant remember now. Then I get bored and might not play for a long while or maybe delete again.

Yah I normally take my time trying to progress and or end a game. I normally run around all the world trying to find stashes and unlock all I can or find stuff for crafting. But I have unlocked most I can- towers/ locations- find animal skins etc. But now parts of my world are locked blocked off I guess behind main quests. I have read you look for yellowed out spots on the map but is many of them and I have opened a large part of the game world map. Most every other game I have ever played has a quest or progression list you can follow or go back to to progress the main story. I have not done a lot of camp challenges etc, very few. I do attack and open camps for the locals and or my I guess team. I go on some convoy raids or Hunt animal quests. I like the pretty and large open world, but I get flustered not being able to progress and complete the game and or open areas locked behind progression.

This is part why I have not bought Farcry5. Also, I read it has way many cut scenes and gets on people's nerves. But I will not buy Farcry 6 until I play finish Fc5. Fc6 I read it was Epic exclusive and now wants to come to Steam- not bad price actually, but I normally protest such. Think I read it also has tons of cut scenes. Again, I'd rather play the last game/ games first. I have them all up to Fc4- have all the Crysis games also. I like love large open world pretty games. Farcry games have lots to do and see. The later games seem more and more confusing for me.

I will say they seem to work look and run well versus say Tom Clancey The Division Games- they might not start or run work at all on Steam. I don't understand that- why Ubi gives them such little support and is an IP they carry and sell- maybe they feud with Tom Clancey or something. I know we end user players are the ones to suffer because of it. Makes me not wish to buy anything Ubi- not know if going to work right or not. I do have good luck with my last 2 Assassins Creed games and all other Farcry games. I am still kind of afraid to buy from them .

Last edited:
Prey deserved far, FAR more sales than it got.

I guess you are talking about the second game? I really liked the first game. Prey 2 is nothing like it imo. I played it a little- not saying I do not like it- but takes a little get use to imo. I have many games installed a lot of times. No not all my games I could never have space or care for that- but at times I do have like 20- or a few more installed games. Games I am playing but jump around. Some I play start to end, delete install another. Some I keep installed to play co-op with others. Prey 2- Control- both Dishonored games for some reason I have not just sit play and finish- or I will say I might get stuck on something- try try try hours- maybe days and get flustered and stop playing for a while, that can be worst, you forget stuff or get rusty, and need retrain yourself. Kind of at that now also with Doom Eternal. I yes, I like all these games but have so many and buy new all the time I am in no hurry. Then a new build and higher res monitor is lots of games I might wish to start a new play through on top of it all. Sad, I know lol. I am a little sick :p

So you're not bothering with AR? I must try that combo.

Oh yeah, rescue Montero's son with his sister Espada's help, pain of a mission—even when you get thru the on-foot part, there's then a car chase sequence which is also crazy. Skipping that mission on current playthru.

You know how? Build the Hideout Network at one of the 3 main guerrilla camps—It's my auto first build, for the wingsuit, the fast travel points, the air drops, and the extra resource caches which renew in 24 hours IRL time. Latter make a difference in first third/half of game.

Nope. Unless Yami the car chick in Madrugada has some—she has various challenges, possible one is wingsuit, but I doubt it.

Took me 5-6 tries to get the unskippable one in the Himalayas in FC4, that caused a frustrated quit!

No, so far I haven't needed an AR. I can do fine with single headshots. Of course it sometimes takes a few shots to get that headshot if they get alerted, but I see no need for an AR. Closest to that I've come is decking out the LMG with Blast rounds, but I was only using it to destroy vehicles and billboards. Then I realized the Supremo is fine for the rare vehicle you need destroy, and checkpoints always have a heavy turret gun or motar launcher that can take out the billboards.

I didn't have a problem with the rescue mission, just too much zoom on the pistol for close combat.

Yeah I knew I'd read somewhere while playing how to get the wingsuit, and now that you mention it, the pop-up tutorial for camp upgrades was where I saw it.

Bummer that they didn't opt for wingsuit challenges. If you mean the Death From Above mission for Willis in Far Cry 4, I thought that was pretty cool. Once I figured out how to stay as high as you need to with the wingsuit, it was so easy I sort of did a speedrun on it. The trick is to look at as high an angle with the mouse while gliding as you can, pretty simple really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS