May 2023 Random Game Thoughts Thread

Page 5 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
you mean the Death From Above
Yep, that's the one, definitely a memorable mission! Now that I see your vid, I remember it also took me a few tries to even land at the target area :) First time I'd had to take the wingsuit seriously. Hey that was sneaky, bypassing all the lower/nearer guys and getting behind the target—nicely done :)

I'd read somewhere
That's a big suck in FC6, the UI for info is really bad.

Btw if you accept the mission from the self-help guru Dr Yanny Dabolos, you better complete it then and there to keep your sanity. I did my usual bouncing around, and ended up getting a succession of annoying phone calls from the SOB 'just checking in', grr.

take out the billboards
They need 8 bullets, I've been popping 'em with my AR. But of course a local gun is better.

If you like stunts, are you aware of Clockner & StealthGamerBR on YouTube? Clockner hasn't posted in a long time—since FC4 maybe—but latter has a couple of recent FC6 vids which are well worth a watch:
Far Cry 6 Stealth Kills (Quest, Outpost, Checkpoint)
Far Cry 6 Creative Stealth Kills (DESTROY Anti-Aircraft)

Reactions: Lil Dyslexic doG
Farcry5. Also, I read it has way many cut scenes
It's not too bad. You might be referring to forced capture sequences, of which there are 9 or 12—the game pulls you out of whatever you're doing and lands you in a spray n pray melee mission, after listening to one of the baddies spout off.

I say 'not too bad' because I got the wonderful Resistance mod which bypasses all that, and the whole ridiculous intro sequence.

Farcry 6 … also has tons of cut scenes
They're skippable!

Fc6 I read it was Epic exclusive
I don't recall offhand, I bought it direct from Ubi.

Btw Valley of the Yetis is a worthwhile DLC for FC4, the only one of all FC DLCs I recommend.

Far Cry 6
Well color me red—like the dot from a laser sight, goes with my hair, doncha know.
I always knew you had a rap poet's heart.
Far Cry 6
Desert Eagle pistol rules!
The thing takes a 6x scope! I have 4x on my AR—5x on my backup loadout, just prefer the 4x sight. 6x isn't available anywhere else except probably sniper rifles… I don't use sniper, so don't know.
Desert Eagle is always good regardless of the game. In PUBG it is called Deagle and uses 45 ACP ammo. One of my favorite activities is to use that pistol or similar while driving a car or use it while I am gliding. If I am not mistaken you can put on a sniper scope on that beast in COD. My nephew used a 4x scope, but I prefer something like a red dot sight myself or 2x. I know that some people like to use 4x scope on a revolver and I think it has to do with them having watched 80's movies. 6x scope is mostly reserved for DMRs>> or whenever you want to make a scuffed build and put it on something like a Bizon Smg. A crazy guy named TSM Viss put 8x scope on that bloody thing in an Arma 3 Battle Royale match and he actually made it work. Shot several guys that never knew what hit them.

Last edited:
I've been making some progress on my various projects in Minecraft, but because I'm working on about a dozen projects at once it doesn't feel like I've made much progress at all. The most important project is almost done though, I'll soon have a set-up that'll triple the output of any ores I mine without needing to be renewed. Once that's set up I'll have a ton of resources to set up several other projects I've been meaning to get to.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I know this is a PC gaming forum, but I have something I need to discuss:

So I always have been upset when people say that Breath of the Wild was/is so revolutionary when I feel like a lot of the gameplay felt similar to an Elder Scrolls game, or a number of other open world games that have come out in the past. It's a great game but I didn't feel like it was as revolutionary as people had made it out to be.

Well cut to this past weekend, I bought Tears of the Kingdom. I have to say, this is the revolutionary title out of the two. The abilities are insane, the world is so well designed, and the game is incredibly optimized. If any of you are Switch owners, this is a must-buy for open world fans.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
@McStabStab I was thinking about buying a Switch just so I could play the new Zelda game but I am hesitant due to it only being 30fps and hearing some saying it shows at times with a lot of stuff on the screen. What is your experience?
Digital Foundry does a great performance review on their youtube channel. If you can bear 30fps it isn’t bad, but when you use some of the abilities in areas with fog effects, etc, the fps will drop to 20 for a few seconds. So far it hasn’t influenced my experience but I’m only a couple hours in.

So long story short - by PC standards its definitely lower quality, but for Switch its incredible it runs this well when so many other games run like ass (particularly the 3rd party games).

View: https://youtu.be/BLlZBwN_-C4

@mainer I'd definitely call Prey Survival Horror, too, so it sort of travels along different genres.

Hey, there's an actual sale going on on Steam now, unlike that thing @Brian Boru threw together last week XD

@Lil Dyslexic doG if you can't figure out what to do next, definitely don't play Ubisoft's Ghost Recon Breakpoint. It's almost like Ubisoft occasionally forgets how to make games and has to make it up from scratch. But in Far Cry 4, Amita and Sabal both show up on the map. The map is difficult to figure out because it's so full of garbage, but if you can find either of them, just go there. That should advance the story.

Amita and Sabal

Thanks.

I could not Remember their names- I will try to hunt for and find them and you are right- the map is cluttered imo.

Yah I think Breakpoint is a DLC. I read people do not like it. I read people do like the main game. I wonder though, because ubi gives Tom Clancey games little support. I really wanted both The Division games but cant get either to work or run right on Steam. If actually worked they are said great games and is my fav genre and the locations I would really like to play. but cant.

Valley of the Yetis is a worthwhile

I have it- never fired it up though. I normally buy all DLC and or get the GOTY for all my games. Thought I would kill Yetis after I finish main game. Now I want to install FC4 again and being my new 4K system. Just know its going to look sweet :)

Thanks.

I could not Remember their names- I will try to hunt for and find them and you are right- the map is cluttered imo.

Yah I think Breakpoint is a DLC. I read people do not like it. I read people do like the main game. I wonder though, because ubi gives Tom Clancey games little support. I really wanted both The Division games but cant get either to work or run right on Steam. If actually worked they are said great games and is my fav genre and the locations I would really like to play. but cant.

I have it- never fired it up though. I normally buy all DLC and or get the GOTY for all my games. Thought I would kill Yetis after I finish main game. Now I want to install FC4 again and being my new 4K system. Just know its going to look sweet :)
No Breakpoint is a full Ghost Recon game.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I guess you are talking about the second game? I really liked the first game. Prey 2 is nothing like it imo.
There is no Prey 2, both games are called Prey. I guess the newer one would be called 'second Prey'?? They are definitely nothing like each other, but there it is. Then "Prey to the Gods" had to change its name because Bethesda/Zenimax decided to be horrible and act like they own the word 'prey.'
Well cut to this past weekend, I bought Tears of the Kingdom. I have to say, this is the revolutionary title out of the two. The abilities are insane...
Insane how? I've had some pretty insane abilities/guns/spells in my day!

Desert Eagle is always good regardless of the game
I've never paid much attention to pistols, since previous games allowed shawn off sotguns or mini grenade launchers as sidearm. But this guy rocks for sure.

The map is difficult to figure out because it's so full of garbage
I might be thinking of a different FC, but if I recall correctly, you can toggle various things on and off on the map view.

I've never paid much attention to pistols, since previous games allowed shawn off sotguns or mini grenade launchers as sidearm. But this guy rocks for sure.

I might be thinking of a different FC, but if I recall correctly, you can toggle various things on and off on the map view.
Yeah, I'd forgotten, but you can apply filters to the map.

Insane how? I've had some pretty insane abilities/guns/spells in my day!

I saw some Reddit posts of the new Zelda game. Apparently you can fuse any two weapons together, as well as sticking items to your shield. Adding a minecart was named as an example, which basically makes your shield a skateboard.

Some examples:

f9tsQusQKm5pRmbg1VBjPxIeMiDLS9ZvW-dQ4GJRCjk.jpg

GM81fz3PDwgHEmzNWfKNHrVsyGPX81-wFYIZeBGQUno.jpg

I saw some Reddit posts of the new Zelda game. Apparently you can fuse any two weapons together, as well as sticking items to your shield. Adding a minecart was named as an example, which basically makes your shield a skateboard.

Some examples:

Me: Statistically, those are probably awesome. Visually, they are pretty stupid looking.

Zelda Fanboy: Your mama's pretty stupid looking.

I summoned a lumberjack spirit in Minecraft which automatically chops down trees, picks up all of the drops, stores those in a chest and replants the saplings. Best part was that it only cost me 3 iron and some miscellaneous stuff I had lying around, because I already had all of the infrastructure I needed. Worst part is that it wouldn't move. If I put it next to a tree it would chop it down and if it was next to the chest if would put stuff into it, but it wouldn't walk on its own. Since it chops down entire trees in one go and I can pick it up and put it down wherever it was still a significant upgrade to manually chopping, but I really wanted something completely automatic.

I looked through all of the other mods for alternatives, but the best alternative I found needed two different machines for cutting and resowing, which would also need a generator to power and then a bunch of wiring and pipes to get all of the ingredients automatically at the right machines. It would've cost me a ton of resources to set all of that up, though at least I could've reused the generator.

However, I had to quit the game and when I came back and put the lumberjack spirit down again it suddenly started walking. I'm not sure if I did something different this time or that restarting the game fixed something somehow, but I'm glad it works now.

Now I can use all of the logs to create charcoal, which I can combine with the flint from my flint chickens (they lay flint instead of eggs) to make coal balls, which I can compress with a compressor, after which I can combine them with an obsidian to make graphene which I can then put back in the compressor to make diamonds. Now I need a good source of obsidian. Luckily there are several options beyond manually mining it and I'd already been planning on building one of the machines that can do it.

Me: Statistically, those are probably awesome. Visually, they are pretty stupid looking.

Zelda Fanboy: Your mama's pretty stupid looking.

I like that you can make visually stupid stuff though. I prefer the freedom to make dumb looking stuff over being constrained but having everything look nice.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
It's true... all of it. You can attach honeycomb to a weapon to have it shoot bees or flamethrower to a boomerang to have it spray fire.

"Cool it's burning everyth--- OH SH*T IT'S COMING BACK!"

I've had some serious Elden Ring moments in the game too. Thought I found a shortcut with the Ascend ability (allows you to "swim up" through rock) and when I poked my head up, GIANT BOSS that kicked my ass!

Plus building homemade rafts or gliders that sometimes fail miserably is hilarious. What a game.

Some examples:

Funny though that graphically, it ends up looking more like a bug than a game feature. :LOL:

There is no Prey 2, both games are called Prey. I guess the newer one would be called 'second Prey'?? They are definitely nothing like each other, but there it is. Then "Prey to the Gods" had to change its name because Bethesda/Zenimax decided to be horrible and act like they own the word 'prey.'
Didn't Bethsda/Zenimax aslo force Arkane to use the Prey name? Seems to me I read a fairly recent PCG article about that. I don't know what they had planned to name it, but Prey definitely reminds me at times of parts of System Shock as well as Bioshock.

@mainer I'd definitely call Prey Survival Horror, too, so it sort of travels along different genres.
Yeah, I think it's more survival/horror than anything. Prey is different than any game I've played so far, the closest being System Shock (1 & 2), and that was back with a disc installation, as well as Bioshock which I never finished.

The story itself is pretty decent, and it's fed to you in bits and pieces as you explore new areas. Its definitely learning to survive and figuring out where to go and how to surmount obstacles, whether they be environmental or aliens. It's not about killing everything that moves, as sometimes the best approach is to maneuver or sneak through certain scenarios/areas. And there's also a few jump scares, but they're not overdone.

Combat itself was a bit frustrating for me at first until I slowed down, observed the environment and movement patterns of aliens (when I could see them), and using the environment to my advantage to reduce the risk of combat encounters. (Though I have blown myself up twice already getting too close to flammable liquids and/or explosive containers).

Choosing the right skills from the 6 skill trees for your playstyle can give you a huge advantage, but the tricky part (for me) is to know which skills I need the most. I have a tendency to hoard my Neuromods (injectables that give you skill points) so I'll always have some in reserve if I find that I need a specific skill.

________________________________________________________________________________

Seems to be a few random sales on Steam this week, and I picked up Endased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG for 84% of @ $4.79. It's been on my wishlist for a couple years now, and don't see the price going significantly lower. It looks similar to the old Fallout 1 & 2 games, and reviews are mostly positive, so I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth.

So that's my week so far: playing one game from my backlog and adding another. Such is life I guess.

There is no Prey 2, both games are called Prey.

There was a Prey 2 planned for the 2006 Prey, but it got canned before it released. I still have Prey 2017, but have STILL yet to go back and finish it. I got really tired of the samey looking monsters, and the "GLOO Cannon" was just plain ridiculous and clumsy to use.

On a side note, the Prey movie, which kind of presents itself as the origin story for the original Predator movie, which was bashed by some Predator fans that were stuck on a more technological theme, was pretty good IMO. It scored 93% on Rotten Tomatoes too.

Personally I thought it was a nice change of pace from the others putting it in a 1719 setting with Native Americans. My only slight nit pick was the protagonist didn't really use her tethered hatchet in the final fight like they led you to believe would happen.

I picked up Prey 2006 for about $20 as a tin boxed collector's edition not too long after it released at Fry's or Best Buy I think. I liked this game MUCH more than the recent 2017 Prey. In fact I'd love to see a remake of it.

Last edited:
I wish Nintendo could have had the option for users to stream through a cloud system without having to use the Switch. They already have the cloud, so why not just build upon that one?

That would defeat the whole purpose of them trying to get people to jump over to their platform. We all know after all that consoles are a lot like cell phones, it's the service they want you to commit to (or in this case games), and they can't do that if it's easy to stream them piecemeal vs buying into the whole system. They know if you buy that system you're likely to buy several games as well.

Last edited:
@Frag Maniac Or they could do what Playstation and Xbox have done through their cloud gaming where you don't need to use the console. I don't think you can play all the games though, but at least there is a bunch I can find to play through both services. Throwing in that perhaps they should make a better Switch version if they want to get more people buying into the console because that is also one of the reasons I am on the fence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS