July 2024 Game Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
That was an old photo when mouse was new. I regret buying a white one as its not so clean now.
f4cTA9D.jpg

I don't mind wireless, its battery lasts about a week before i have to plug that cable in for a few hours and let it charge again. Since charge cable is also the one the wireless receiver is attached to, its not very far from mouse anyway.

My Sensei mouse is falling apart. The cable is frayed and the adhesive is coming off of everything. The thing is, I love their software, so I went ahead and ordered another one.

Been there, almost did that. Bought different Steelseries mouse instead as my reason was different, mouse still worked but was causing errors in windows. I didn't want a repeat... they make good mice, shame all new ones are ultra lights. Or I would have one now.

That was an old photo when mouse was new. I regret buying a white one as its not so clean now.
f4cTA9D.jpg

I don't mind wireless, its battery lasts about a week before i have to plug that cable in for a few hours and let it charge again. Since charge cable is also the one the wireless receiver is attached to, its not very far from mouse anyway.

Been there, almost did that. Bought different Steelseries mouse instead as my reason was different, mouse still worked but was causing errors in windows. I didn't want a repeat... they make good mice, shame all new ones are ultra lights. Or I would have one now.
Can you charge it through USB (I'm sure it would take a lot longer, but you could use it while it charged)

I also have a weird reason for choosing wired. I use the arm of my chair as a mouse pad, and my mouse slides off of it every now and then, usually not at a good time, but I just grab the wire and pull it back up instead of having to move my lap desk and bend over (due to my back injury, picking things up off the floor is nearly impossible).

Yes, I can use it while it charges. It doesn't really stop me doing anything. eventually I could just leave it plugged in and use after battery dies. I did that with a Microsoft mouse 15 or so years ago. Most of my mice have been replaced before they died.

lucky my mouse doesn't slide off its surface much. Probably need to clean it and mouse pad in the next week or so (bet I forget), Bottom of mouse needs a sponge bath. Have to be careful with water I guess.

f4cTA9D.jpg

I really like white electronics and have several, as I sometimes forget myself, but I have the same issue: I'm not super clean nor diligent about cleaning, so my white stuff often ends-up looking gross. I'm trying to do better though, my Xbox controller still looks pretty nice.

As for SteelSeries, I have a Rival 3 I travel with and occasionally use with my laptop or Steam Deck, I used it in place of my old Logitech when it died. Weirdly, I never noticed how light and small it was, but using it immediately after my desktop mouse, I noticed and feel really uncomfortable with it; I need something chonky for my desktop.

Still a nice mouse for travel, as it offers the customization that I want in a lightweight package, but Desktop mouse it is not.

Oh, I also got my all the new drives this week. Two new 8Tb spinning disks for my server and a new 2Tb SSD for my laptop, upgrading from a 512Gb.

The clone job for moving my old 4Tb drive to the 8Tb is estimated at 34-hours and as of this morning still has more than 15 hours left. After that I need to clone my 2Tb gaming library drive over to the old 4Tb server storage, so hopefully that'll only be half as long... looking forward to having a vast majority of my games in house and available for network transfer though.

Unfortunately the m2 drive reader I ordered from Amazon was a cheap piece of junk and refused to reliably read the new drive and a new reader wouldn't get here until Friday, so I elected just to start fresh. So far, so good, I let my laptop begin transferring games off my server last night and I'm pretty much back to where I was, aside from my eGPU drivers, which I just haven't gotten to yet. It's amazing to have three times the storage of what I had.

Also, technological progress continues to impress me. This 2Tb SSD is one sided.

As for SteelSeries, I have a Rival 3
my last mouse was a

My 512gb sdcard laughs at size of the nvme. When you can get 64gb sticks of ram now, is it any wonder? Biggest nvme still not up to 16tb yet (regardless of what you might be able to find on ali express - https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/beware-of-16tb-external-ssd-or-8tb-usb-flash-drives.130926/) but it may not be far off, Sabrent have a model coming... so might need to edit my post.

My Yakuza: Like a Dragon time has gone down considerably, though not stopped entirely. The one thing WoW has over Yakuza is that I don't need to "pay attention" to it, really. No long cutscenes to watch or narrow streets to run through, so I can divert my attention to my wife or kids when someone wants to talk to me.

Although, I've been playing WoW anyway even when I have a wide swath of time to myself...

Story of my life. I've given up on many games that I need to pay attention to because I found something easy to pick up and play that I then get obsessed with.

We are exploring a massive, maze-like ship by the light of our crappy flashlights.

Guido: I'm lost.

*I'm not sure I've ever heard him say that*

Me: We're doomed.

*some time later...we've split up*

Guido: What are you doing?

Me: Trying to die of dehydration so I can go home.

Guido: I found the exit.

*my screen starts to fade to black*

Me: Slacker. I'm already home.

(I set the game up so that we don't lose our inventory when we die or I'd still be wandering around that ship. I had enough food and water for days...)

I didn't even know this existed. I might grab it while it's cheap.
It’s on sale for $7.99, but since I own Postal 4 I got the bundle at an extra discount bringing it to $6.79, pretty good for a $20 game.

Played more Postal Brain Damaged, completed level 2 but then I went and made a custom map and uploaded it to the Workshop. Very rough first draft, but my idea is to have the player grapple through floating houses, complete platforming sections, find keys and fight enemies. I got the first tiny section completed but could not figure out how to add enemies without them dying. Not sure if they are fighting each other or what but the enemies automatically die every time I playtest the map. I did find adding colored doors with their corresponding keys very easy, so I’m excited to work on that some more. I added a section where you have to move fast along falling platforms, jump off to grapple onto a ring, fly over to a giant toilet bowl and grab a machine gun next to a giant turd. Amazing artistry. The falling platforms might be hard for some since it requires you to slide-jump, for which you mash left Ctrl then space to launch yourself forward faster than sprinting, so I may make that part a bit easier.

The falling platforms might be hard for some since it requires you to slide-jump, for which you mash left Ctrl then space to launch yourself forward faster than sprinting, so I may make that part a bit easier.
Nah, don't underestimate players. Plus, anyone who's played Warframe has done the slide jump a million times. It's in other games as well, like Satisfactory.

It’s on sale for $7.99, but since I own Postal 4 I got the bundle at an extra discount bringing it to $6.79, pretty good for a $20 game.

Played more Postal Brain Damaged, completed level 2 but then I went and made a custom map and uploaded it to the Workshop. Very rough first draft, but my idea is to have the player grapple through floating houses, complete platforming sections, find keys and fight enemies. I got the first tiny section completed but could not figure out how to add enemies without them dying. Not sure if they are fighting each other or what but the enemies automatically die every time I playtest the map. I did find adding colored doors with their corresponding keys very easy, so I’m excited to work on that some more. I added a section where you have to move fast along falling platforms, jump off to grapple onto a ring, fly over to a giant toilet bowl and grab a machine gun next to a giant turd. Amazing artistry. The falling platforms might be hard for some since it requires you to slide-jump, for which you mash left Ctrl then space to launch yourself forward faster than sprinting, so I may make that part a bit easier.
I had decided I wasn't going to get it, but making custom maps might push me over the line. I doubt I'll play the actual game.

I had decided I wasn't going to get it, but making custom maps might push me over the line. I doubt I'll play the actual game.
The map maker is pretty rudimentary compared to other ones I’ve used, but still good enough to have some fun with it. I worked on my custom map and even made a very basic map with tons of grappling hook rings so you can just fly all over the place. I didn’t even bother with the main game last night as I was too interested in the map maker.

Just watched the path of exile announcement and honestly, exciting stuff. But after the excitement has worn off, i'm kinda apprehensive with the dramatic/significant changes. The cynical part of me thinks that its just going to be every bit as horribly grindy for challenges and i don't have time to look/study all the changes. The league mechanic might be a better option this time as its been reworked, but i dunno, melee builds have never been my thing when it comes to ARPGs.

The league starts next week. lets see whats there and watch a few guide to see what i want. i had hoped to do some relaxing build like rightous fire (basically having an aura of damaging flame and all you do is just run around dealing dps damage until the enemy dies). but we'll need to look at the new leagues and see what changes have been made. It might very well have nuked it to hell.

Dark souls 3 wise, i've finally got my lotheric longsword and yep, the lotheric knight in the tower drops it. too me just 10 minutes for it to drop. Tbh besides the slightly longer range and switching from slash to stab heavy attack its not a great game changer. Just got past the deep dungeon and in the old londor area to explore. I'm pretty sure i messed up one of my quests so bye bye thief merchant.

Wonder why Starfield struggled when it had opposition this far advanced.
Is there really much to explore in this game? If it's all generated like Starfield, which itself was fairly empty, I don't feel like this will have much more than pretty vistas.

I haven't played NMS. Every time I look at it, it seems intriguing, but smacks as something a mile wide and an inch deep as far as mechanics and exploration, so I've avoided it.

Wonder why Starfield struggled when it had opposition this far advanced.

Struggled according to what metric?

Is there really much to explore in this game? If it's all generated like Starfield, which itself was fairly empty, I don't feel like this will have much more than pretty vistas.

I haven't played NMS. Every time I look at it, it seems intriguing, but smacks as something a mile wide and an inch deep as far as mechanics and exploration, so I've avoided it.

I've played NMS during a free weekend and I found it to be extremely underwhelming. There was very little sense of wonder and exploration for me because I was mostly just chasing icons across the map.

I haven't played NMS myself (yet) but it appears far more fleshed out now when it comes to simulating a galaxy than Starfeild did.NMS has had 8 years to become better than the game it was sold to be by their over hyping it at launch. Starfield probably won't still be getting free updates in 8 years time. Maybe if they make a new version for a new console...

I have downloaded both of them on Xbox game pass but not started either.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
You need more!? <Zloth takes a few minutes to get over his culture shock>
Quite a few miles wide. There are several game systems to play around in, though I don't think any of them are really very deep. Still, by the time you play around with all of them, you've gone through a lot of hours.

For me, the main highlight is going to all these weird planets and seeing what weird critters and plants are on them. I'll take on the challenge of trying to scan every type of animal on the planet. Finding a way to get to the center of the galaxy was a lot of fun, too, though the reward was underwhelming (journey > destination). Other folks get big into base building or factory building. Still others get into the multi-player aspect, going on those missions with friends. Some folks enjoy collecting all the various types of ships you can find in the game. And some folks are happy just getting as rich as possible.

It's all a bit sandbox'y. There are quests, especially at the start, but those are mostly designed as tutorials and to give you the game's lore.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts