What was the first video game you remember playing?

Page 51 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Apr 20, 2023
Visit site
The first game I remember was Pong on the Atari 2600 with these paddle controllers.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
I don't remember the first videogame, but they were the first videogames - Pong, Space Wars - and mainframe games that weren't 'video games' but text games, Colossal Caves (Adventure) and Zork.

A couple 'draws' for early games were trying to appeal to things people knew - so books and shows and history. One early game was a terrible 'Star Trek' Game just because people loved Star Trek.

It was basically a grid and a couple basic features for movement and firing weapons at enemy ships. It's why fantasy games a la Tolkien or Arthurian inspired were an easy appeal.

James Parker

BANNED
Jun 15, 2023
Visit site
I'm an avid gamer, but I've been trying to think of the first games I remember playing and really loved. I remember sneaking into my cousins dad's study to boot up his mac to play Monkey Island, where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? And Myst (which I wasn't very good at). If you're a gamer, what do you remember playing and why?
The first video game I remember playing was Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). It was such a classic and iconic game that it introduced me to the world of gaming. I spent countless hours guiding Mario through different levels, stomping on Goombas, and saving Princess Peach. Those nostalgic memories still bring a smile to my face whenever I think about them. Super Mario Bros. will always hold a special place in my heart as the game that ignited my passion for gaming.

PCG Dash

Staff member
Apr 7, 2023
Visit site
The first video game I remember playing was Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). It was such a classic and iconic game that it introduced me to the world of gaming. I spent countless hours guiding Mario through different levels, stomping on Goombas, and saving Princess Peach. Those nostalgic memories still bring a smile to my face whenever I think about them. Super Mario Bros. will always hold a special place in my heart as the game that ignited my passion for gaming.
Screenshot-2023-06-20-133222.png

🤨

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
Guess its fair to say I'm getting old as my earliest memories were from Tetris - and I'm talking about the original, text based Soviet made classic version in the 80s, not these modernized fancy ones. It was very similar to this version I could find online: https://www.hahagames.com/game/tetris

A close 2nd would be NetHack which was more of an actual game that really sucked me in right after. Wish there was browser based version of it similar to the old school Tetris.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil Dyslexic doG
Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Wow, I was about to say "Super Mario Bros" on NES (8 bit), but then a flashback struck me!
It was actually an early-80s single-game handheld little thing containing a Kung-Fu game! Wow, what drawer you just opened in my memories!!! If only I was able to remember its name...

Wow found it!! It was actually this!!!! Incredible!!!
oh the 80s Kung Fu game!

Thank you for reminding me of all this!

Reactions: Brian Boru
First notable memory for me would have to be Warcraft 2. I'm not a native english speaker and was very young and unfamiliar with video games at the time so i must've tackled the game while building as little as possible since i do remember controlling units but making my first additional Peon was a complete revelation to me. For some reason i had to collect Gold and was doing so with my one starting Peon and it was easy, boring and taking absolute ages :D remember the moment when i figured out how to build additional Peons and how that started a chain reaction of me applying what i had observed during that interaction to the rest of the UI (+ hints at learning the language) and from there figuring out pretty much all of the basics of the game.

PS: this is all based on a collection of faint memories so i may well be giving my past self too much credit* :D

• Love
Aug 22, 2023
Visit site
The first thing I actually remember attempting was a sidescrolling Star Wars game on the SNES. I was very young, probably only about 4. My father worked at an ad agency at the time handing Nintendo of America's account and apparently a few of them got sent home with the product.

I was very bad at it. I can guarantee my father was very bad at it because he did not then nor does he now play video games. But I remember passing the controller

The first thing I actually remember attempting was a sidescrolling Star Wars game on the SNES. I was very young, probably only about 4. My father worked at an ad agency at the time handing Nintendo of America's account and apparently a few of them got sent home with the product.

I was very bad at it. I can guarantee my father was very bad at it because he did not then nor does he now play video games. But I remember passing the controller to him absolutely convinced that he could beat it for me when I died jumping into those sarlacc holes over and over.
I believe the game you played was Super Star Wars on the SNES.

Oct 5, 2023
Visit site
i was born late 90s, so my introduction to gaming was playing Pokemon Fire Red on my blue Gameboy Advance SP. rip to my gameboy, you'll forever be missed

it's funny to write that out because my initial reaction to this question was going to be RuneScape because of how attached to that game i was (and still am). but after some thought, i've really been gaming my entire life. crazy where life takes you

TRENDING THREADS