The last game you completed

Page 5 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Completed Spec Ops: The Line and while I enjoyed it, I think the praise this game received was a bit too high. Yes, there was a bit of controversy (the biggest probably being the "omg you're killing 'murican soldiers!"), but the story was just ok. One could see where all of that was going way before the ending. As for the "choices" and "morals", it didn't do it for me - the actual choices didn't really matter (and "not playing the game to not commit more crimes" is not an option) and thus having maniacal Walker committing mass murder on a whim and misguided sense of justice (so typical to American media) was just like watching a movie. I didn't feel any kind of connection to him.

Shooting wise, it was fine. I was annoyed by the console-ish nightmares that is the PC controls that were clearly designed for gamepad that I died bunch of times only because of them. Bad devs, bad! I played on suicidal (highest I could select) and there were only 3 places when I died more than 2-3 times - eff that helicopter in museum section. You know which one. And that final battle near the tower. Other than that, satisfying but not the greatest shooter I've played. Not going to hunt for achievements in this one.

Actually I found a post on Steam's forum that provides good explanation why the game fails at making me feel bad.

I've seen people say that the game is 'meant' to be a generic shooter as like a metaphor for the ending and violence (or something like that) - but I'm not sure I believe that, I think it was just a generic shooter with a decent enough ending, but not enough to make me want to play it again.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I played on suicidal (highest I could select) and there were only 3 places when I died more than 2-3 times - eff that helicopter in museum section. You know which one. And that final battle near the tower. Other than that, satisfying but not the greatest shooter I've played. Not going to hunt for achievements in this one.

You must be really good in TPP shooters. I had some difficulties even on normal. It was hard especially near the end of the game. And I have to admit that the game made me feel quite bad, when there were moral choices involved. It was an interesting experience, but I also doubt that I'll replay it some day.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Completed Spec Ops: The Line and while I enjoyed it, I think the praise this game received was a bit too high. Yes, there was a bit of controversy (the biggest probably being the "omg you're killing 'murican soldiers!"), but the story was just ok. One could see where all of that was going way before the ending. ..... Snip

I spent the first half the game thinking that it was a direct retread of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse now, and it surprised me with the direction towards the end even if it was telegraphed a little earlier. Perhaps if I didnt have that prior expectation it wouldn't have been as surprising.

I also found the most affecting part to be where you slaughter a whole crowd of civilians with napalm mortars rather then the killing of American soldiers throughout tbh.

Other then that, I think it was a 6 or 7 out of 10 game for me.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
You must be really good in TPP shooters. I had some difficulties even on normal. It was hard especially near the end of the game. And I have to admit that the game made me feel quite bad, when there were moral choices involved. It was an interesting experience, but I also doubt that I'll replay it some day.
No, I am not for sure - and cover shooters are probably the ones I have least experience with. Still I had more trouble with some of the control mechanics like trying to run to a cover but game decided I wasn't "looking" at the right angle so Walker just awkwardy stands in front of sandbags and dies in 2 seconds. I can only imagine how annoying the FUBAR difficulty must be in some areas.

I spent the first half the game thinking that it was a direct retread of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse now, and it surprised me with the direction towards the end even if it was telegraphed a little earlier. Perhaps if I didnt have that prior expectation it wouldn't have been as surprising.

I also found the most affecting part to be where you slaughter a whole crowd of civilians with napalm mortars rather then the killing of American soldiers throughout tbh.

Other then that, I think it was a 6 or 7 out of 10 game for me.
I would probably care more about the story even if it went as I expected, but Walker's "decisions" made me detached from him. Not sure if devs expected that.

Ah yes, that scene was actually quite strong. Honestly was expecting a massacre, but not civilians. That mother trying to shelter her kid, a punch in the gut.

I would give similar rating. Strong 7 maybe, just because it tries something different and I can appreciate that.

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
What was the last game that you completed, and how would you rate it?

Completing games is not something I do often. The most recent game I completed was Halo Reach for the MCC on PC. I had originally played it on 360, but I barely remembered the campaign so it was great to get back in it. I haven't played much of the multiplayer, but I'd give the campaign 8/10 (nostalgia could play a big part)
Modern warfare series so fun and nostalgic absolutly gold

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
Well, this is embarrassing, but I finished Half-Life 2 last week. For the first time. Solid game.

Then I installed Batlle.net again and went back to my abandoned Starcraft 2 campaign. Also went back to Zelda Breath of The Wild. Then I figured that I should play the HL2 episodes too, now that the story is fresh in my mind.

So it seems it may take a while for me to finish another game.

Reactions: Zloth
Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
@herrnanditovsk better late than never

It's funny, I play Starcraft 2 since 2012 and yet I only completed each campagin 1-2 times. Since I am taking a break from multiplayer side for a while, maybe it's good idea to clean the campaigns on Brutal difficulty :?
Still one of the best RTS around, right?

Ah now I remember: I stopped playing the campaign because I got stuck all the time on the "hard" difficulty. This time I'm going at normal lol.
But since you've been on the multiplayer scene for so long, it should be a breeze!

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Still one of the best RTS around, right?

Ah now I remember: I stopped playing the campaign because I got stuck all the time on the "hard" difficulty. This time I'm going at normal lol.
But since you've been on the multiplayer scene for so long, it should be a breeze!
It still is, really. In 10 years we really didn't see any RTS that even comes close to SC2 in...well, anything. Yes, we had some nice indies or failed AA games (Grey Goo anyone?), but really, genre seems dead.

Wings of Liberty? Or other campaign? I remember WoL could be a bit challenging, but HotS for example was stupidly easy with how overpowered Kerrigan was. Also I believe I've seen people doing hard+ campaigns with nothing but workers :D

I kinda started playing random on NA during nighttime for fun, maybe I will switch to single player. For now I started Firewatch and gotta complete that.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I've seen people say that the game is 'meant' to be a generic shooter as like a metaphor for the ending and violence (or something like that) - but I'm not sure I believe that, I think it was just a generic shooter with a decent enough ending, but not enough to make me want to play it again.

It was meant to come across as another generic modern military sim so you'd go in expecting the usual "Rah rah rah USA Number One!" Call of Duty type thing so when it sweeps the rug out from under you it's more effective.

I have mixed feelings on it, I can see what they were going for but the "Don't you feel bad now!?" stuff didn't really work for me, as someone else said the "Just stop playing" thing is nonsense. Yeah sure, I spent £40 on this, I'm gonna just stop now.
But I do love a lot of the little details they put into it. For example at the start Walker is all business with lines like "Tango down", "Target eliminated", "Get that sniper" etc. and all the finishing moves were quick and efficient, a shot to the head, that kind of thing.
As the game goes on he gets more and more unhinged and so does his dialogue and actions.
"Tango down" is now "Got the fucker!", a quick shot to the head is replaced with bashing someone's face in repeatedly with the butt of a rifle.

Reactions: OsaX Nymloth
Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
It still is, really. In 10 years we really didn't see any RTS that even comes close to SC2 in...well, anything. Yes, we had some nice indies or failed AA games (Grey Goo anyone?), but really, genre seems dead.

Wings of Liberty? Or other campaign? I remember WoL could be a bit challenging, but HotS for example was stupidly easy with how overpowered Kerrigan was. Also I believe I've seen people doing hard+ campaigns with nothing but workers

I kinda started playing random on NA during nighttime for fun, maybe I will switch to single player. For now I started Firewatch and gotta complete that.
Wings of Liberty still!

Lol completing missions with workers? Blizzard better bring Starcraft 3 before those people go mad!

I think the last game I completed was The Darkness II, although I did play it a few months ago.
I have a Completed category in my steam library and I think most of them are older games.

I think a lot of modern games, if not story driven, don't really have ends anymore. Everything is moving to "Games as a Service" all vying for our precious time and money. Really how many different hats do I need in a game that all cost real money

I finished To The Moon! today. I enjoyed it over all. I do wish they had spent some more time exploring and explaining Rivers condition and mental state, it seems to me that both characters were likely equally miserable, despite the positive ending.

Edited to add spoiler, apologies to anyone I ruined it for. :pensive::censored:

Last edited:
Reactions: Frindis

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Firewatch - I can see why there's been so much buzz about it. Without the radio "mechanic" the whole game wouldn't make much sense obviously. It was even a bit emotional - mostly because I was constantly thinking that at ONE point I WILL run into a bear :p Nice views and definitely relaxing experience and the whole radio thing was actually really well written.

This made me think how all the most notable "walking sims" have something unique for them. Vanishing of Ethan Carter have photogrammetry and moody story. What Remains of Editch Finch had different story telling devices and used it superbly. Firewatch has it's radio.

@OsaX Nymloth Those were the other walking sims that I also finished and really enjoyed. I agree they all have something outside of well crafted characters/story as a mechanic to keep the player engaged, hadn't thought about it before. They all also have an engaging visual style, which I guess is important if one of the main mechanics is walking around and looking about.

The other one I loved was The Stanley Parable. If you haven't played it I wont go into it, but IMO its definitely worth experiencing.

Finished The Surge 2. I enjoyed it less as the game went on. I went with a high energy and damage, fast dodge type build. Some of the mid game boss fights were fun and challenging for me. By the end of the game though I noticed I could face tank anything and spam attack and heals without thinking which got dull, and that includes the final boss.

Visually it was good without being spectacular, the weapon and armor design was quite unique. Story and world was O.K, didnt really get any hooks in me but wasn't notably terrible.

I liked the level design for the most part, although I feel that if you are going to have a labyrinth like design and link the map that way it should stay consistent for at least most of the game. I guess they are expecting people to play through multiple times, I probably wont be. 7/10

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
@Kaamos_Llama I did play The Stanley Parable and somehow I never thought about it as walking sim. It's a thing that is so.... unique that I would put it into it's own category. Altho technically it could be considered as walking sim. It was great nonetheless.

Example of walking sim that was lacking the "unique factor" is Draugen that I played last year. It was good looking (beautiful if you like Norwegian fjords aesthetics), not bad story and quite cool dialogues between characters. But there was nothing that Draugen could call "it's mine and mine alone" and maybe that's why the game remains relatively unknown. It's not bad. But it doesn't have the staying power in one's memory.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I finished Sniper Elite 4 yesterday. It took me 3 years from finishgin the first mission to finish the entire campaign, which is very visible in my achievements :D

3ZgVPd4.png

I especially enjoyed the first few missions, didn't enjoy the last ones as much because I felt that wasn't much of a sniper game. It's the first Sniper game I finished though, so I'm not sure how the previous 3 are.

Interesting X-Ray kill cam, very detailed lol. Story felt a bit meh, but the missions and the maps were good and fun.

Now onto Dishonored 2! A game I also haven't played since 2017.

May 8, 2020
Visit site
The last game I've played was GTA IV. it was fun and I really like it a lot. I know that it is 10 years old game but still it have some amazing detailing that today's game still don't have.

TRENDING THREADS