Random Game Thoughts Thread - January 01 - 07

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
It must be easier, I beat my high score twice in 2 games. There used to be a wall you hit at 10k, it isn't as tough now
ddQHYbz.jpg

I thought I would have to restart that as I put my self into a corner, but game gave me the right parts to get out again.

I've been reading Sanderson's Lost Metal. It's the 4th book in the Wax & Wayne series, sequel to the Mistborn series.

We keep getting teased about a possible movie/TV deal for Mistborn, but I wish they would do Wax & Wayne instead. Mistborn is fun, but it's a typical medieval magic setting with a ton of volcanic ash dumped over the whole thing. W&W is more magic cowboys in a Victorian-era city. I think the latter is going to look way better on the screen (big or small), plus it's a more original setting.
I may re-read the first 3 books and then buy/read Lost Metal once I finish the Witcher books, of which I'm in the middle of The Tower of Swallows. I'm hoping that Sanderson will complete the 5th volume of the Stormlight Archives (not counting the in-between novellas) by the end of the year, but that may be wishful thinking.

I'm really immersed in The Witcher books right now (as well as The Witcher 3 game), and I had no idea that Andrzej Sapkowski was such a great writer and storyteller. There are parts that are absolutely brutal, but also interspersed with humor, and the characters he's created have definite personalities. I'm finding that it affects how I view the events and characters in The Witcher 3. While the game doesn't follow the events of the book exactly, I find that I have more empathy for certain characters, such as Geralt, Ciri, and Yennefer. I haven't met Dandelion yet, but he played a huge part in the books.

As far as making a movie/TV series of the Mistborn books, I'm skeptical, as in my opinion most movies/TV series that are based on books rarely succeed. Most not all. The Game of Thrones was fairly true to the books, at least in the early seasons. I haven't watched The Witcher series on Netflix yet, so I don't really have an option on that, and I'm not really sure if it's based on the books or the games.

Strong black tea with milk is the drink of champions.

I'm hoping that Sanderson will complete the 5th volume of the Stormlight Archives (not counting the in-between novellas) by the end of the year, but that may be wishful thinking.

I read/listened to the first 3 Stormlight archive books quite recently and have the fourth in the chamber, I didnt even realize it wasnt finished when I started or might have left it for later, then again could be waiting a long time.

Doing a bit of a remodelling of my desk area, got a new case for the PC and just ordered a monitor stand with a bit of storage under it so I can put all my USB cables and memory sticks in there instead of on my keyboard and around it. Found they also sell 90x40cm mouse/table mats for 15€ so have to give one of those a go too. Its gonna look pretty sharp when I'm finished until I cover it with mug stains and dust, but the pics I take will stay clean forever.

Zloth

Community Contributor
At risk of turning this into a 'what are you reading' topic....
I'm hoping that Sanderson will complete the 5th volume of the Stormlight Archives (not counting the in-between novellas) by the end of the year, but that may be wishful thinking.
It sounds like he will finish the initial draft, but then it has to go through editing and whatnot, so it's more likely to show up in 2024. (See "State of the Sanderson" for more details, plus a lot of stuff regarding him feuding with Audible.)

I read/listened to the first 3 Stormlight archive books quite recently and have the fourth in the chamber, I didnt even realize it wasnt finished when I started or might have left it for later, then again could be waiting a long time.
The 5th should be the end of the first half of the series. It sounds like there will be a fairly strong break of some sort before the next books, but I've got no idea if that's going to mean a lot of time between books or just a narrative break of some sort.

The whole Cosmere thing is going to be interesting, connecting all the books together. Is it going to be something that makes me want to read all the other books, or would it be better to avoid the other books so I get the same surprises the characters get?

At risk of turning this into a 'what are you reading' topic....

It sounds like he will finish the initial draft, but then it has to go through editing and whatnot, so it's more likely to show up in 2024. (See "State of the Sanderson" for more details, plus a lot of stuff regarding him feuding with Audible.)

The 5th should be the end of the first half of the series. It sounds like there will be a fairly strong break of some sort before the next books, but I've got no idea if that's going to mean a lot of time between books or just a narrative break of some sort.

The whole Cosmere thing is going to be interesting, connecting all the books together. Is it going to be something that makes me want to read all the other books, or would it be better to avoid the other books so I get the same surprises the characters get?

Good to know the 5th book will finish an ark at least a bit. I'll have to re-read the first Mistborn books as well, because I barely remember anything from the three I read other than I quite liked them.

Dying Light 2 is giving me mixed feelings. I still like the parkour a lot and have a paraglider now which is amazing, but hitting zombies with pipes and axes is a bit meh 20 hours in, and it doesnt feel as dangerous as the first game did. Still fun enough though, maybe I need to upgrade all my weapon mods and shock/set stuff on fire more. Only about half way through I think, so theres time to swing either way.

Good to know the 5th book will finish an ark at least a bit. I'll have to re-read the first Mistborn books as well, because I barely remember anything from the three I read other than I quite liked them.

Dying Light 2 is giving me mixed feelings. I still like the parkour a lot and have a paraglider now which is amazing, but hitting zombies with pipes and axes is a bit meh 20 hours in, and it doesnt feel as dangerous as the first game did. Still fun enough though, maybe I need to upgrade all my weapon mods and shock/set stuff on fire more. Only about half way through I think, so theres time to swing either way.
Be like me, don't let The Man tell you what to do. Go into the dungeons during day and wander the streets at night. That will feel more dangerous :)

As far as that goes, though, there isn't anything in 2 that captures that out-at-night feeling of the first game with all those guys with their vision cones all over the place. The only thing I really don't like about 2 versus 1, though, are the human enemies. The humans in 2 are pushovers. The humans in 1 were excellent melee fighters. You could stand there blocking each other's swings for awhile. In 2 they aren't so hot.

newest game I have
Hey nice going on the scores! So… what game is it?

I thought you were wanting to help kill Kerbals
Maybe, got it free at Epic recently, but mostly I want a job like his :)

I don't drink coffee
Yay, more for me!

I'm pretty much a water or Gatorade Zero guy now
I haven't had a soda in ages—water and coffee are always on my desk, and some yucky tea with dinner to apparently slow down my sight decline. I like 'normal' tea—Earl Grey ftw—I was reared on it.

his current game
Could be good if he updates/finishes it—Steam reviews say it seems abandoned for the past year, altho one did mention activity on the Discord.

black tea with milk
You wanna make your mind up there? :p

Be like me, don't let The Man tell you what to do. Go into the dungeons during day and wander the streets at night. That will feel more dangerous :)

As far as that goes, though, there isn't anything in 2 that captures that out-at-night feeling of the first game with all those guys with their vision cones all over the place. The only thing I really don't like about 2 versus 1, though, are the human enemies. The humans in 2 are pushovers. The humans in 1 were excellent melee fighters. You could stand there blocking each other's swings for awhile. In 2 they aren't so hot.

If I'm in the street, I'm not on the roofs bouncing around having fun!

I did try to go into a couple of nests during the day, one I got through by hacking at a volatiles legs under crouch space until it died, and the other I just ended up playing peekabo in a sunlit doorway with two of them and running away until I chipped them down. I really like using Molotovs on everything too but cant seem to find much alcohol either around or in stores. Volatiles basically 1-2 shot me still, so going toe to toe in a small room not much of an option at least yet.

The only thing at night outside that's a challenge are those ones that jump at you off of stuff, I cant seem to get the dodge timing down. Its not even that hard because they give you loads of time to heal.. I keep missing the dodge, getting hit and after that chasing them flailing wildly to get my own hit in.

The parry timing vs humans is so generous for me after stuff like Sekiro, I got the rare achievement for 10 in a row during the tutorial because I couldn't get the timing/positioning right on the vault move that it wanted me to do to progress :p

You wanna make your mind up there? :p

Black tea always has milk in it, what? :p

If I'm in the street, I'm not on the roofs bouncing around having fun!

I did try to go into a couple of nests during the day, one I got through by hacking at a volatiles legs under crouch space until it died, and the other I just ended up playing peekabo in a sunlit doorway with two of them and running away until I chipped them down. I really like using Molotovs on everything too but cant seem to find much alcohol either around or in stores. Volatiles basically 1-2 shot me still, so going toe to toe in a small room not much of an option at least yet.

The only thing at night outside that's a challenge are those ones that jump at you off of stuff, I cant seem to get the dodge timing down. Its not even that hard because they give you loads of time to heal.. I keep missing the dodge, getting hit and after that chasing them flailing wildly to get my own hit in.

The parry timing vs humans is so generous for me after stuff like Sekiro, I got the rare achievement for 10 in a row during the tutorial because I couldn't get the timing/positioning right on the vault move that it wanted me to do to progress :p

Black tea always has milk in it, what? :p
I usually work around my poor parrying skills with other things, like blocking then kicking. I parry, but not as much as I probably should. They're just too easy to take down in other ways.

Black Flag was the best parrying game. Once you got it down, you basically won every fight from there.

Been playing Colony Survival. It's a first person colony sim. Even though it's in early access, it's got a ton of content. There are some weird things, though, that need to be changed; for instance, if you have 5 tinkerers, you can't tell just one of them to make something. Whatever adjustment you make, all 5 tinkerers work on it. So if you want to hire an extra fletcher, you tell them to make one fletcher's station, then one of them makes it and the others sit around doing nothing until you give another order. Could be there's a workaround to that I just haven't figured out yet.

I've played Forza for 663 hours and one thing I do is tweak the race settings for just about every track. I just do this for Guido and me. I figured no one else would want to play a slightly different version of the vanilla races. So I never really paid attention to the mail that comes in my in-game mailbox, but this morning I noticed one saying that my race blueprints had a couple hundred "likes" yesterday. My first thought was "wut?" So I figured out how to see my race blueprints and stats, and I was shocked to see that people have been playing them all. I even have "followers" who can pull up my blueprints more easily.

I'm not sure how I feel about this because I often go into races and tweak them even more, change them back to how I had them originally, etc. Now I wonder if I should just leave them alone since people are playing them. I knew I had people following me for my car setups, but I meant for those to be public,

I usually work around my poor parrying skills with other things, like blocking then kicking. I parry, but not as much as I probably should. They're just too easy to take down in other ways.

Black Flag was the best parrying game. Once you got it down, you basically won every fight from there.
I'm trying to get parrying down better in AC: Odyssey. It definitely helps a lot. The bad thing is, I think they learned from older games like Black Flag. Sometimes the enemies do these charge attacks where parrying doesn't work, and you have to dodge. The good thing is, they start glowing red before they do that to give you a warning. I'm still having a rough time with my timing sometimes, though.

It wasn't PC, but another game where parrying was important was Breath of the Wild. The Guardians were very tough with their lasers, until you learned how to parry with a shield. If you get the timing down, you can parry their laser blasts two or three times and kill them very easily. Without that knowledge, you're better off just running away.

Hell yeah. Got stuff for my guitars and basses.

Some L4D love
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnHYFQhOnGH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Skyrim emblem that's pretty decent in size. Bout 17 cms or more I think.
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnHYMdCuCWD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Did a Brotherhood of Steel, but I messed up to gears. Didn't cut out the center of em.
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnHr0pBO-if/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Did a Vader as well.
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnEfJrWOpQN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Got the Venom eye and mouth profile on my classical guitar. Also got the vader face in a metal look.
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnDxx1cuvTh/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Mutant Football League - Brawltimore Razors
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnHsObRu6Vn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

And as a side one. A photo I took of my fiancee years ago when we were just friends. I put it on the head of my guitar on the back behind the tuning pegs.
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnBf_XOu5ME/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Hope the links work and that it doesn't go against rules I missed. I apologize if I did.

PS - I don't know why it's doing a double link. What did I do wrong?

Hell yeah. Got stuff for my guitars and basses.

Some L4D love
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnHYFQhOnGH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Skyrim emblem that's pretty decent in size. Bout 17 cms or more I think.
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnHYMdCuCWD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Did a Brotherhood of Steel, but I messed up to gears. Didn't cut out the center of em.
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnHr0pBO-if/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Did a Vader as well.
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnEfJrWOpQN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Got the Venom eye and mouth profile on my classical guitar. Also got the vader face in a metal look.
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnDxx1cuvTh/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Mutant Football League - Brawltimore Razors
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnHsObRu6Vn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

And as a side one. A photo I took of my fiancee years ago when we were just friends. I put it on the head of my guitar on the back behind the tuning pegs.
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnBf_XOu5ME/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Hope the links work and that it doesn't go against rules I missed. I apologize if I did.

PS - I don't know why it's doing a double link. What did I do wrong?
So those are decals for guitars? Pretty cool.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Still haven't managed to get into anything new as of late. I've mostly just been hopping on Forza or MW2 and that's about it. I do want to get around to digging into something new soon, but with the move and starting my new job on Monday I've just been focused on other stuff.

I gotta say, though, that I got a new LG OLED to have a TV in my new place and I've been really curious about lugging the PC out to the living room to check out HDR gaming on an OLED. Maybe I need to get my PC a skateboard :LOL:

random thought... its the 8th.. guess I am in future
vK7WGtP.jpg

one more high score. hardest part is fitting the "map" on one screen

One thing I forgot is game is on my nvme, system fans went nuts trying to keep its temps down. Helps if I change the setting on my rear fan before I play games.

Guess I should find a game that doesn't tetter on the edge of "this is boring" territory.

you start with 50 tiles, I got a few extra along way.
wrRCIRl.jpg

Last edited:
@Colif I assume the playtime your Dorfromantik stats show is 3 hours 11 minutes?

It's on my wishlist, so I'll be comin' for ya sometime this decade :devilish:

random thought... its the 8th
Yeah, I'm wondering why you didn't post in this week's thread, since it had been up for way over an hour before your post :unsure:
Probably that too much blood to the head thing again… 🙃

it would be a speed run to do that much in 3 minutes. So yes, that is hours. Some tiles took 3 minutes just to find the right spot for them.
I have watched someone score 80k or so and I thought, why is video so long, this is easy... until I played it myself. The desire for perfect placements can ruin the game.

I might not play it again for a while now I am playing Grim Dawn again.

TRENDING THREADS