April 2023 Random Game Thoughts Thread

Page 5 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
So the replacement for my PSU continues. interestingly enough Corsair is offering to replace my 750w psu for a £400 1500w one. Sounds great, but something tells me that its just overkill secondly higher PSU watt more power consumption. I did a quick check for psu calculator and it will no where be near 1000w let alone need 1500w i would have to be running twin 4080, countless fans, LEDs cooling etc before i'll even get to 1500w.

i could accept but i dunno... seems excessive.
The PSU only puts out enough power to keep the components going. If you have a power requirement of 600 watts, you're only going to be consuming 600 watts even if your PSU is capable of 1500 watts.

Also, a 1500 watt PSU wouldn't be breaking a sweat on your system, which may actually improve its longevity.

So the replacement for my PSU continues. interestingly enough Corsair is offering to replace my 750w psu for a £400 1500w one. Sounds great, but something tells me that its just overkill secondly higher PSU watt more power consumption. I did a quick check for psu calculator and it will no where be near 1000w let alone need 1500w i would have to be running twin 4080, countless fans, LEDs cooling etc before i'll even get to 1500w.

i could accept but i dunno... seems excessive.
Actually, I need to think about my response some more, but I'm in the middle of something. Take what I said before with a grain of salt.

replace my 750w psu for a £400 1500w one
Maybe post in Hardware forum. Might be a while before our experts— @Kaamos_Llama @Lutfij @Colif etc—see your post in this thread, if ever.

We have a Random Hardware Thread there, if you prefer not to start a separate one.

Pending that, my inexpert understanding—gained from reading experts :)—is that Zed is mostly correct above. As far as I know, there are 2 things in play:

Efficiency: An 85% efficient PSU will draw less electricity than a 70%.

Max Efficiency: A PSU hits its best performance somewhere around ½ to ⅔ load.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I decided to give For the King another try. My main complaint with it last time was that there was too much time pressure, so I started a new game on the easiest difficulty and then extended the chaos timer and lowered the economy scaling over time.

I've only played maybe an hour or so, but it's going a lot better than last time. Perhaps even a bit too well, I can probably up the difficulty if I decide to start another run after finishing this one.

Guess it depends which 1500w PSU they send him
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ly-Modular-ATX-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020215-NA - shame it doesn't have maglev fans. its the icue version, can control some things via software. Fan off at low and medium so probably never come on.
actually appears to be only 1500watt PSU they have...

they have a 1600watt unit though - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...upply-Units/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020087-NA

they have 2 1200 units though... but that is besides point. I have an RM1000x, I didn't really care about Icue features so I saved a little cash. Probably overkill for my PC but it lets me think about newer parts.

Maybe post in Hardware forum. Might be a while before our experts— @Kaamos_Llama @Lutfij @Colif etc—see your post in this thread, if ever.

We have a Random Hardware Thread there, if you prefer not to start a separate one.

Pending that, my inexpert understanding—gained from reading experts :)—is that Zed is mostly correct above. As far as I know, there are 2 things in play:

Efficiency: An 85% efficient PSU will draw less electricity than a 70%.

Max Efficiency: A PSU hits its best performance somewhere around ½ to ⅔ load.
Efficiency was what suddenly occurred to me last night, but after doing some math, I think it's mostly irrelevant.

I would definitely take the 1500w power supply.

House Flipper Farm DLC is pretty fun, but the farming itself is kind of useless for late game players. When I first started, selling a load of tomatoes for $1000 would have been great. I could have afforded a mid-level sofa. But now that I have millions in the bank, it's not a big deal. I'm mostly growing crops and raising animals just as decorations.

There were a lot of other changes with the DLC, some serious QoL stuff. It's almost like a level-up for the dedicated players. Besides the ability to add additions to houses and even build houses from scratch, pretty much every other mechanic has been touched and improved except for interior painting. Actually, they thought they had improved that, too, but everyone complained that it was worse, so they immediately changed it back to the old method.

Won our Chaos Dwarf campaign last night. We were on normal difficulty, but added mods that made the game more difficult at the strategic level. I only manually fought one battle the whole game, and it was a quest battle, so it wasn't as fun. I may play some custom battles today.

Ok so this isnt really gaming related but just basic computer knowledge in general related.

I had a coworker question my intelligence when it came to using CAPSLOCK. They said that i was putting a password in wrong because i had CAPSLOCK on and that the letters 1, 2 and 3 were therefore !@# because it was on.

As i try to hold back all my laughter, i said thats not how CAPSLOCK works (the person is 26) to which they replied "are you sure?", i replied "that only happens if you hold the shift key down, unless someone specifically re-programmed this very basic off-brand keyboard thats 15 years old to do that on CAPSLOCK" with a slight laugh in my voice.

I said this as they ACTUALLY TRIED TO DO IT :ROFLMAO:. But, the next day we were talking to our IT director and they admitted that they were "trying to help me log in to my email" and thought that maybe me having capslock on ruined the numbers being put in, so there is that.

Ok so this isnt really gaming related but just basic computer knowledge in general related.

I had a coworker question my intelligence when it came to using CAPSLOCK. They said that i was putting a password in wrong because i had CAPSLOCK on and that the letters 1, 2 and 3 were therefore !@# because it was on.

As i try to hold back all my laughter, i said thats not how CAPSLOCK works (the person is 26) to which they replied "are you sure?", i replied "that only happens if you hold the shift key down, unless someone specifically re-programmed this very basic off-brand keyboard thats 15 years old to do that on CAPSLOCK" with a slight laugh in my voice.

I said this as they ACTUALLY TRIED TO DO IT :ROFLMAO:. But, the next day we were talking to our IT director and they admitted that they were "trying to help me log in to my email" and thought that maybe me having capslock on ruined the numbers being put in, so there is that.

Apparently some keyboard layouts do work like your coworker expected:

on certain non-QWERTY keyboard layouts, such as the French AZERTY and the German QWERTZ, Caps Lock still behaves like a traditional Shift lock, i.e., the keyboard behaves as if the Shift key is held down, causing the keyboard to input the alternative values of the keys; example the "5" key generates a "%" when Caps Lock is pressed.

I wonder how many keyboards still have return keys - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_key

I guess there is a small chance his 2 cow workers (that might have been a typo) had seen those keyboards.

I hate how some websites need you to enter a password with special characters but they restrict you to the numbers 1-0 to generate the character. What is point of having a password and then setting rules as to what characters can be in there... makes it easier to crack it, surely.

Maybe on next page this thread can go back to games... maybe :D

PSU only supply the power they are asked for, so its not like you going to use more power just because you have a 1500w PSU.

Why they offer a 1500 for a 750?

If its free, why complain. Only thing to consider is its size as 1500watt PSU likely be bigger than normal ones.

Woah, didn't think my thoughts on whether to take the 1500psu was going to garner such attention!. much appreciated on the advice from all here!

I didn't post in the technical forum partly because it was going to be perfectly fine for current and all future builds. Especially being free i should really be complaining and would have been a nobrainer from a technical side of things.

There was just something nagging me at the time... i don't know if it was some technical aspect of the PSU, the overkill or the fact I'm a little hesitant of the RMI series after TWO of the same psu model crapped out on me.

I was kinda surprised they were offering the HX1500i as it beyond what i was expecting and apparently the reason they were offering that for me was because they had no 800-1000w in stock. I was still in discussion stages before i thought to mention something on the forums as a general mention. Again seems like a win in my books but what do i know about tech...

apparently the reason they were offering that for me was because they had no 800-1000w in stock.
lucky you.

it might not be bigger, from what I can tell my RM1000x is actually shorter than the Seasonic 750watt unit it replaced. I think Icue lets you monitor its performance, set what mode some of the rails run at, and you can set a fan curve. BUt you need to use Icue software to do it and if you don't have any other corsair hardware, that is just more things to run.

I didn't want to pay extra for that so I got a dumber PSU. I have Icue running anyway.

Its 20cm deep, thats a looooong fella.

My old EVGA G2 is 170mm and is considered pretty large IIRC.

Mines 180mm, perhaps its length is misleading in the box as its actually 10cm longer than my last one... looking at it using a torch (as its dark in my case and GPU being so chunky above it doesn't help) the label of the PSU is right up one end near rear of case, and rest of it is dark meaning I can't see it under shroud. The labels on Seasonic were closer to the end all the cables come out of, which is why I thought it was longer. Corsair PSU is just stealth.

mainer

Venatus semper
Finished up the Solasta Lost Valley DLC, and I've got to say the ending was very disappointing, kind of abrupt when it happens, and with maybe only a 5 second cut scene for the end. Worst of all, is that the different endings can be bugged for some players, giving you the wrong achievements for your ending. This happened to me, as I got 2 achievements that were the exact opposite of the ending I achieved. Overall I enjoyed the game, though it didn't feel quite as focused as the main campaign of the base game, which I've played through twice.

I'll play the main campaign again next month once the Palace of Ice DLC is released in May. That DLC is a continuation of the main game with high level encounters and a raised level cap of 16. Hopefully, the ending of that will be more refined.

Couldn't quite decide what to play or replay or continue to play next, so I started Icewind Dale EE, as I was still in a D&D frame of mind, and I hadn't played IWD since it's original release years ago. It took some time to get used to the graphics, as even in the enhanced edition they're pretty dated. But after a few hours I didn't notice anymore, so I may stick with that for the time being.

I'm also considering playing a modded ME3 to complete my ME Legendary playthrough, as well as 2 of my backlog games: Black Mesa, and Prey.

lucky you.

it might not be bigger, from what I can tell my RM1000x is actually shorter than the Seasonic 750watt unit it replaced. I think Icue lets you monitor its performance, set what mode some of the rails run at, and you can set a fan curve. BUt you need to use Icue software to do it and if you don't have any other corsair hardware, that is just more things to run.

I didn't want to pay extra for that so I got a dumber PSU. I have Icue running anyway.

yeah the main highlight was the IQUE stuff but monkeying around with the rails sounds like a recipe for disaster for me. there might be an auto setting or something.

unless someone specifically re-programmed this very basic off-brand keyboard
I have CapsLock and the left-side Windows key turned off—well, CapsLock is now dedicated to a specific app, rather than generally available to all. Just kept pressing both by mistake too often.

I don't blame your coworker tho—I mean, it's really odd that CapsLock doesn't affect the number row, isn't it? Affects 3 rows of keys, but not the 4th… eh, what o_O

I also have Break changed to Paste Unformatted, and PrnScr linked to Snipping tool—still looking for a use for Scroll and Insert :)

66-runs.png

Raised the difficulty and had the most runs I've ever scored in a game--in only 7 innings.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Guess what? I've returned to Elden Ring and... I'm near the end of the game. :) Decided to go with the Samurai - Moonveil build supported with Nagakiba in some battles. It was a piece of cake mostly, but I presume Melania won't go down this easily. :p I think the game is slightly better than Dark Souls 3. It's easier for sure, but a lot depends on the build and agility of the player. :D

Zloth

Community Contributor
I'm also considering playing a modded ME3 to complete my ME Legendary playthrough, as well as 2 of my backlog games: Black Mesa, and Prey.
If you care about achievements, ME3, before it becomes impossible to get achievements. Otherwise, Prey - that game was so fun! Grossest way to upgrade powers ever devised, but being able to transform into a coffee cup is really fun. It's a shame Arkane decided to go a different direction after it finished.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts