Question PC freezes after getting BSoD

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys,
I have a problem with my gaming laptop that i couldn't solve and I can't find any solution other than formatting. I got a blue screen coded video scheduler internal error. There are solutions on the internet but after I got the first blue screen, whenever I open my pc it freezes like 1-2 minutes after I open it that i literally can't do anything to solve it. If anyone knows how to solve it please help.
The specs are: 16 gb of ram, i7 4710hq, gtx860m, 1 tb hdd and win10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Respect12
is this windows 10?

regarding startup freeze, have you tried safe mode?

on the logon screen, clcik the power button in bottom right corner
while holding left shift, click restart button
  1. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  2. choose troubleshoot
  3. choose advanced
  4. choose startup options
  5. click the restart button
  6. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  7. Pc will restart and load safe mode

if so

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

what are specs of the PC?

its likely cause is the GPU drivers, but doing the fix might be hard if it only stays unstuck for 2 minutes. Guess you could download ddu on another pc but it still needs to be installed

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
is this windows 10?

2. choose troubleshoot
  3. choose advanced
  6. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.

if so

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder

Sorry i forgot the write the specs. It's a 7 year old laptop which have 16 gb of ram, 1 tb hdd, gtx860m and i7 4710hq with win10. I never had this problem before. This problem happened after not touching it for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I opened it and even played a game. I closed the game and had to go somewhere and left the pc open and when i comeback the pc went dark and after moving the mouse the pc froze and gave me a bsod.

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
is this windows 10?

2. choose troubleshoot
  3. choose advanced

if so

here is the link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arj-brTsvco9lCFDF7tXjciCHtUM

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
You could go into safe mode and uninstall the GPU drivers and restart PC again as it will use basic drivers. Then run windows update and let windows find new GPU drivers for the card.
I just deleted the gpu driver in safe mode and then restarted the pc, it downloaded the drivers by itself but after installing the driver the pc froze again.

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
What kind of games have you been playing on it recently?

It's a fairly old laptop and the 860m is not powerful enough for modern games—so trying them could have loaded the GPU to the max for too long and damaged it.
The last game I've played before this problem was Alien: Isolation and I play Apex, FM20, CS:GO, EU4, Stellaris etc. Normally I play games with lower resolutions but I tried 1080p at Alien Isolation and it was running smoothly on 1080p and I was using cooler too but recently pc is getting hot quite easily and too much even though I'm not playing any game.

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
When was the last time you cleaned the dusk & gunk off the air vents?

Have you opened it up to check for dust-clogged fans, especially the one on/near the 860m?

Heat is the enemy of hardware, especially a laptop—and dust & grime are heat's best friends.
I checked the fans last night they're dusty but not too much and tried to clean but I'll try to clean them again.

Take pc outside and give it a good clean. Helps to do it at least once a year. Take all the sides off if you can and get rid as much dust as possible. It also mean PC will be quieter as well.

I am due to do it myself but as I have a glass side to case, I see the dust before it changed temps.

You can always run ddu again but instead of letting windows find drivers, install these - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/146345/

Reactions: tahacamm
Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello guys,
I cleaned the pc, updated the drivers, run sfc scannow and ckdsk etc. it didn't work so I resetted the windows. After resetting I opened the pc but it gave me the same bsod. I updated the drivers, run sfc scannow and ckdsk and after doing this it worked and I was finally be able to open the pc in a normal way. But after fixing the problem now pc gave me a different bsod called kernel data inpage error and after pc rebooting itself then pc gave me efi network 0 for ipv4 boot failed error. Then i went to bios and at the information tab i saw that the hdd is not detected. I've never had this problem before with the hdd so i doubt that it's something to do with the cables(?). Any ideas what to do? I hope the hdd didn't die.

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Bummer :(

Hope so too, but not looking good. I don't have any more suggestions, best of luck.
Well, you were right the hdd is gone but that freezing problem came back again even though we put a ssd on it so the problem is with gpu probably even though we cleaned the pc and re-applied the thermal paste. I guess i'm gonna need a new pc. If the university will be online again this year i'll go for a 3060 laptop if not due to prices i will go for 1650ti unfortunately.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS