Need help! PC Hard crashing/freezing making me hold power button to turn it off

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

As the title states, my PC has been freezing or crashing.

I updated my graphics drivers yesterday on GeForce Experience to 546.17, and everything was running fine. I was able to play a few games and stream on Discord for a few hours, and I was able to work for my remote job with no problem.

Today, I woke up and turned on my PC, I was idle for a bit so my PC ended up going into sleep mode. When I got back, I played Outlast Trials for 30-40 mins and then I ended up watching YT videos for 8-9 minutes to see a Bluescreen, got the error, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. After the bluescreen, I turned my PC on and launched Overwatch, then it froze making me hold down the power button.

Fast forward to now, I haven't had any problems in the last 9 hours playing Lies of P.

These issues have been happening on and off since October 31. My first hard freeze was on October 31st while watching a YT video, then it happened again 2 times on November 1, then it ended up doing it again 2-3 times on the 2nd, and the 3rd is when it got very bad. I ended up contacting a live tech support that had remote access. During the remote access, I ended up hard freezing again making me hold down the power button, but the live tech was still able to move his mouse around when I couldn't. He suggested I do a full CMOS reset by removing the battery for a few mins then placing it again.

All was fine up until November 12 when I hard froze playing Dying Light 2 times, then blue-screened two times. Since then, all was fine again until the issues stated above.

Is there any solution to fix this so this doesn't happen again?

Specs if this helps:

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI

G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5 INTEL XMP RGB DDR5 6000MHz 16GB: 32GB (16x2)

ASUS ProArt GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti OC edition 12GB

INTEL CORE i7 13700K 16C 5.4GHZ

MSI MAG CORELIQUID C240 RGB

I am left with the option to return it to Xidax for repairs, but they said it could take up to a month. While I have no problems waiting, I do need it for my remote job that's based in the US while I'm from Canada, so I can't exactly go into the office and work there. My company also doesn't send their contractors a work laptop/desktop, so I'm really unsure what else to do. Has anyone else had similar problems that found a fix on their own without needing to do an intensive repair? Please help. :(

Try running DDU in safe mode, uninstall Nvidia drivers, boot back into normal mode and grab new Nvidia drivers again
see link:

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Reactions: Brian Boru
Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Try running DDU in safe mode, uninstall Nvidia drivers, boot back into normal mode and grab new Nvidia drivers again
see link:

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Thank you for the response! My BSOD is always stuck at 0%, I assume it's due to the hard crash, so nothing works unless I do force close my PC. I can try DDU in safe mode.

your stats lack any storage drives.

can you run crystaldiskinfo - blue icons - https://crystalmark.info/en/
it will auto scan the drives and show health
upload images to imgur and show links here. You should be able to post those links.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
the non paged area is ram, its where all the drivers run in. Without a dump its hard to say exact cause. could be a driver or the drive. As the paged area is on the C drive.
page faults are normal. But its likely the driver tried to access ram it didn't control. Page faults occur when CPU needs to look for data it doesn't have itself, so it asks ram. If ram doesn't have it, you get a Hard fault and it has to look on the drive. These all sound like errors but they normal operations of windows.

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
your stats lack any storage drives.

can you run crystaldiskinfo - blue icons - https://crystalmark.info/en/
it will auto scan the drives and show health
upload images to imgur and show links here. You should be able to post those links.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
the non paged area is ram, its where all the drivers run in. Without a dump its hard to say exact cause. could be a driver or the drive. As the paged area is on the C drive.
page faults are normal. But its likely the driver tried to access ram it didn't control. Page faults occur when CPU needs to look for data it doesn't have itself, so it asks ram. If ram doesn't have it, you get a Hard fault and it has to look on the drive. These all sound like errors but they normal operations of windows.
View: https://i.imgur.com/Y9XyxhT.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/ltVi4jR.png

I've attached the screenshots. Hope this helps.

they look fine. Software isn't perfect, if its the controller on the drive to blame, it can't tell. I don't have any way to test that though.

worst bit about no dump is windows can't tell us anything. The dump contains all the info. So we have to work in the dark.

what PSU do you have?

search for System Information

In the application, click the + next to software environment

Click on the Windows Error Reporting header and wait... how long you wait depends on how long since last install.

Eventually the right hand column will fill up.

Alas the sort method for the date field is in Alphanumeric, which makes sorting by dates impossible.

Anyway, click on the Type Header. This will sort them into Application Errors and Windows Errors. I want to look at the 2nd type. Expand screen to be as wide as you can and grab the divider in the title header after Details so you can see the entire description in each line

What I am looking for is Pre Radar errors or BEX errors.

For instance, here is mine, it seems it isn't just Diablo 4 that has a memory leak

399oQJv.jpg

A BEX error is a “Buffer Overflow Exception”. This error is typically raised when Microsoft Windows detects that a program tries to put more data than possible in a region of memory. This is the computer equivalent of overfilling a glass with water until the water spills over

RADAR is Microsoft's Memory Leak Detector so that error indicates an App/program is not properly handling memory.

You might not have them, mostly fishing... the stupid way it sorts dates makes it hard but see if you can get screenshot of recent days. It might offer a clue.

I might be here soon, its late and I have to sleep. I will look tomorrow.

• Love
Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
they look fine. Software isn't perfect, if its the controller on the drive to blame, it can't tell. I don't have any way to test that though.

worst bit about no dump is windows can't tell us anything. The dump contains all the info. So we have to work in the dark.

what PSU do you have?

Click on the Windows Error Reporting header and wait... how long you wait depends on how long since last install.

Alas the sort method for the date field is in Alphanumeric, which makes sorting by dates impossible.

Anyway, click on the Type Header. This will sort them into Application Errors and Windows Errors. I want to look at the 2nd type. Expand screen to be as wide as you can and grab the divider in the title header after Details so you can see the entire description in each line

For instance, here is mine, it seems it isn't just Diablo 4 that has a memory leak

399oQJv.jpg

A BEX error is a “Buffer Overflow Exception”. This error is typically raised when Microsoft Windows detects that a program tries to put more data than possible in a region of memory. This is the computer equivalent of overfilling a glass with water until the water spills over

RADAR is Microsoft's Memory Leak Detector so that error indicates an App/program is not properly handling memory.

You might not have them, mostly fishing... the stupid way it sorts dates makes it hard but see if you can get screenshot of recent days. It might offer a clue.

I'm also unsure what PSU I have. It just said Xidax approved when I selected it since they were the only PSUs available. I'll ask the company to see what PSU they are.

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site

what PSU do you have?

399oQJv.jpg

I was able to get into a remote session with Xidax, and it seems that my Oculus program was the culprit. Apparently, it was disconnecting my USB ports somehow, but I'm unsure how that could have happened since I've only connected it wirelessly through Airlink, and it hasn't been used in 2 to 3 weeks. During our remote session, my USB ports disconnected again, but I ended up contacting him through my phone saying to keep proceeding with the session since I was able to see everything going on.

I hope everything goes smoothly from here on now. Thank you again for your help!

Would an OCR of the screenshot(s) pasted into Excel and divided into columns, either via Excel's Text-to-Columns function or else via RegEx, make this exercise easier or even possible?
you can try it. Use your own system info app to get data and see.

The column is an output from Events, and its sorted in alphanumerical instead of by date, so if you click column it shows all the 1st of each month, and then all the 2nd's, etc.

can't say I seen Xidax before.

let us know if you have any more problems :)

Okey dokey. So got past this bit…
OCR of the screenshot
…by instead using the Export function under File in menu, which gives a TXT file:
2Ml4SCB.png

Brought that into Excel via External Data import, and Transform function to clean up during import. Result is what you want, sortable by date or any other column.

AmKc7og.png

I initially tried the OCR method, but only ~90% successful—fine for a small file, but not practical for 2,000 rows.

If you need detail of the steps in Excel 365, shout.

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site

The column is an output from Events, and its sorted in alphanumerical instead of by date, so if you click column it shows all the 1st of each month, and then all the 2nd's, etc.

can't say I seen Xidax before.

let us know if you have any more problems :)
Unfortunately, it happened again. Do I just have a faulty part? My PC just completely freezes making me unable to do anything again. The screen doesn't even turn black, I just see two frozen screens.

I got these issues in event viewer if they mean anything.

Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001

Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

Last edited:
what USB devices do you have?
the AIO is one - https://www.msi.com/blog/msi-mag-coreliquid-rh-hub-intro

i wonder if Occulus was cause or just what was running at time.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.
Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I'm unsure how to stretch the details like you have.

Expand screen to be as wide as you can and grab the divider in the title header after Details so you can see the entire description in each line

in your report, does it show any BSOD?

can you export the text file like Brian showed in last post, upload to a file sharing website and try to post a link here... I say try as forums may stop you. We shall see. If you use something like Google drive or Onedrive, it might work.

if it doesn't let you upload, show any BSOD lines it does mention as screenshots.

another reason it doesn't create any dumps is you don't have a page file... have you changed yours at all?

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
what USB devices do you have?
the AIO is one - https://www.msi.com/blog/msi-mag-coreliquid-rh-hub-intro

i wonder if Occulus was cause or just what was running at time.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.
Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

in your report, does it show any BSOD?

can you export the text file like Brian showed in last post, upload to a file sharing website and try to post a link here... I say try as forums may stop you. We shall see. If you use something like Google drive or Onedrive, it might work.

if it doesn't let you upload, show any BSOD lines it does mention as screenshots.

another reason it doesn't create any dumps is you don't have a page file... have you changed yours at all?
Here is a screenshot of it. Hope it helps!

View: https://i.imgur.com/P49ZaYt.png

Some driver dates don't make sense to me since I got this PC on Sept 29, 2023.

I've also uninstalled Oculus during the remote session I've had with the technician. Everything was running fine up until 40 mins ago making me lose 2 hours of progress for work. :/

Last edited:
Error: 0xC0000001
It indicates that the Operating System cannot load due to a missing file, hardware problems, damaged sectors, and corrupted files and applications. It is a Windows boot error,

i hate how all the sites that have solutions just want you to buy some program that supposedly helps.

try this
open command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
two paragraphs will pop up. Agree to run it at startup
restart PC and let it run

you can run same thing for D drive as well, it shouldn't need a restart to run.

Open powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

the last few commands all fix windows

how old is synapse? (Razer drivers)

• Love
Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
i hate how all the sites that have solutions just want you to buy some program that supposedly helps.

try this

Open powershell (admin)

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

I'll try those. For Synapse, it randomly popped up earlier during the remote session with the technician and we installed it. However, I just uninstalled it now thinking that could be causing the crashes, but I'm really not too sure.

I do see the Razer drivers are still on Driveview after uninstalling them. Would that be the culprit?

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site

try this

Open powershell (admin)

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

I'm getting this when I try to run the command in CMD.

Sorry, I just copied it wrong. I can get this on the next restart.

View: https://i.imgur.com/JQOePNQ.png

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
does it offer to run at a restart?

I would say No to the handles thing... I wonder what is on D drive.
Only for C it offers a restart which I did, and did the Powershell thing. I said Y for D, and here's what came up.

View: https://i.imgur.com/jpbixQa.png

Would this be a browser-related issue? For my last crash, I was watching YouTube with my 2 hours of work in another tab on the same browser. It seems whatever is happening, it hasn't happened to anyone before.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts