Dec 11, 2023
Visit site
Motherboard: Asrock z170 extreme6
Processor: Intel core i7-6700K 4.0GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8 GB RAM x2 Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 CMK16GX4M2B3000C15W
Power: Whisper
System: Windows 10
Most of these components were bought used (MB from the internet, GPU/power from my friend, CPU don't remember, RAM is new).

I am experiencing freezes - my screen and sound freeze, but the PC doesn't blue screen and the fans are spinning.
When a freeze is about to happen, my PC lags.
When too many USBs are plugged in, freezes happen more often. When I plug in 2 USBs only, there are no freezes. Sometimes, the PC freezes on startup or on the log in screen. I used to have a USB 2.0 internet adapter plugged in, which would make the freezes happen much more often (the motherboard only has USB 3.0 and 3.1 slots). Now I'm using another adapter with USB 2.0 and the freezes almost never happen during normal use of the PC.

If I move the PC to a different house (safely) or plug too many things / things it doesn't like into USB slots, it doesn't start. The motherboard then shows either of 2 errors: 1. no RAM detected, reinstall RAM, 2. reinstall CPU and RAM.
I can't use 2 RAM sticks, because then the PC doesn't start. Motherboard shows "no RAM detected, reinstall RAM".

Someone advised me to increase the power usage when I'm starting the PC to prevent it from freezing. It worked, and often would fix the problem for the whole session.

When I was assembling the PC with my friend, I noticed the (used) motherboard came without a few screws. We weren't able to find a replacement for them, but it feels solid enough. However, this made me think my problem is with the motherboard.

I've been using this PC since 2019 with this problem. I've been using ethernet for some time, which allowed me to have only 2 things plugged into it (mouse and keyboard), so I wasn't experiencing any freezing. Now I'm temporarily forced to use wifi and the freezing is back again.

I'm considering an upgrade, but I won't be able to do it for a while, so I'm stuck with this PC for the time being.

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm not a hardware guy, someone more knowledgeable should be along soon.

I assume drivers are up to date, especially the USB Controller.
Thought occurs to get an adapter for your keyboard—USB to PS/2—and see if that helps as a temp workaround.

Another option might be Bluetooth for mouse if your system supports that—but I don't think it does.
You could also try a USB hub, and plug M&KB into that—maybe only hub plugged into motherboard might alleviate problem.

Your system is just old tho, it is due to start falling apart.

Dec 11, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm not a hardware guy, someone more knowledgeable should be along soon.

I assume drivers are up to date, especially the USB Controller.
Thought occurs to get an adapter for your keyboard—USB to PS/2—and see if that helps as a temp workaround.

Another option might be Bluetooth for mouse if your system supports that—but I don't think it does.
You could also try a USB hub, and plug M&KB into that—maybe only hub plugged into motherboard might alleviate problem.

Hey, thanks for the answer.

I would try to do what you proposed, but it would require me to buy new cables, which I can't do right now.

I'm going to probably upgrade soonish and I can usually deal with this problem for the time being. I'm more looking to see if maybe someone knows what's causing this behaviour.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Power: Whisper
what is this? is it Bitfenix Whisper?

its not that old, my 8 year old PC is offended by that statement*

*The 8 year old PC I stopped using 3 years ago

USB hubs might be way to go.

do you have newest bios on motherboard? it could help.

what storage drives? Are they new or recycled?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 11, 2023
Visit site
what is this? is it Bitfenix Whisper?

its not that old, my 8 year old PC is offended by that statement*

*The 8 year old PC I stopped using 3 years ago

USB hubs might be way to go.

do you have newest bios on motherboard? it could help.

what storage drives? Are they new or recycled?
I have 3 storage drives, 2 are old for files and games and a new SSD for the system files.

I don't know if I have the newest BIOS. If it's updated automatically then I have it. How do I check?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts