March 2024 General Game Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Imagine putting in these hours on a EA game and have it be abandoned

It's a weird situation and a long story of how the game ended up where it is. I wrote it all out as I understood it, but deleted it because there was too much speculation.

The game, as the second developers have left it, is mostly playable now, but they destroyed it for awhile, and now there are no players left. Plus, they never fixed singleplayer and co-op.

The game is completely open to modders and a part of me wants to dive in and see what I can do, but a bigger part of me wants nothing to do with it due to the development hell it went through. It's very much a patchwork game held together by duct tape right now. Honestly, it's probably over my head anyway. I still have a lot to learn.

Astro Colony's dev is really good, but he makes some weird decisions sometimes.

Driving your ship into a wormhole was supposed to destroy it and deposit you on the other side with nothing but your space suit and whatever inventory you were personally carrying. But it didn't work and you ended up in the parallel universe with your ship intact. So he went to work and fixed the problem, after which everyone freaked out because the ships they had spent 30 hours building disappeared, so he had to change it back to the way it was before.

Then he decided that in a multiiplayer game that when one person went through a wormhole that this was basically the end of multiplayer. When you came out on the other side, you were playing singleplayer. The game isn't competitive. There aren't even any guns of any type. Almost everyone plays together cooperatively. So basically you just lost your co-op partner when you went through the wormhole. I haven't played it since then, but I understand that he's changed that now.

Far Cry 5

Yeah, that game again. I posted a screenie here of an oddity 2-3months ago where Faith spawned 2 versions of herself. Well just got a really weird one tonight:

zRbeapq.png

Yep, 5 of her. This happened after wingsuiting from Raptor's Peak WNW to east of the river which is east of Drubman Marina—roughly to the waypoint mark here:

mJKtEio.png
Is this not because you are stoned out of your mind? Are there really 5 of her or are you just seeing 5 of her? I haven't played it in awhile. I just recognized the particle effects as being what I thought was a sign for a hallucination. What is that plant all over the place? That isn't the plant the drug comes from?

What are some examples of your excitement or interest in game becoming deflated after seeing something about it that causes you to not be as excited/interested anymore?

For me, it’s seeing lots of reviewers with 1000+ hours clocked in. I could be very interested in a game, it looks cool and I want to play it, then I read the player reviews and it’s full of people saying “after 1000 hours I can recommend this game”. You can take this two ways, either that they are a master at the game and are able to give a very in depth analytical review of the game, or that they’ve played it so much they can only focus on the negative parts of the game. Either way, it deflates my interest when I see this because I personally don’t want to play a game where 1000 hours is the average for players. Everyone is different, I personally prefer to play a game until I beat it/lose enjoyment then move onto a new game.

Then I see some reviews that make me never want to play the game. I saw a review of ARK Survival from a player with 2000+ hours, saying things like how the game will make you it’s “slave” and that you will become totally consumed by that game. I don’t about you but that makes me really uninterested. Surely I can play it how I want, do a solo map and play at my own pace, but it’s just something about seeing stuff like that that makes me lose all interest.

I have no other word to describe this feeling other than your excitement/interest deflating. And I don’t even really know why I feel this way but I was wondering if you guys feel the same way, or if you have something else that deflates your interest, apart from things like not being a genre you like or having features you don’t like or agree with.

What are some examples of your excitement or interest in game becoming deflated after seeing something about it that causes you to not be as excited/interested anymore?

Several things:

1. Expansion packs or the constant release of DLC. You know me, i'm tight fisted and as soon as i see expansion packs, interest for the game dies and i just wait several years down the line to buy the game. if the game constantly releases DLC ,don't expect me to ever buy the game or i spend a lot of time studying what DLCs i want and what i can ditch. if the price of the GOTY/Ultimate edition never drops to a low price, don't expect me to get it any time soon. or ever. Anno 1800 i'm looking at you.

2. Live service/multiplayers games changes. helldivers 2 i would like, but the live service side of things ensures price is not going to drop any time soon. by the time i get it, everyone would have stopped playing. So... add that to the list.

3. Guilt. With a lot of things when i want something (expensive) and i finally decide to get it i usually don't have the courage/strength to follow it through. When i finally make the decision i would get it soon, i sort of deflate and then have second thoughts and just walk away or decide not to get it. Its not just games, its sweets, dinner, treats etc. I would often walk up to the item look at for a good 15 minutes before i walk away. i suspect its me being thrifty and my wants are just cravings, one i don't indulge by simply not thinking about it.

recent example of games? Chivalry 2 i sank 148 hours into it, so i have had my money's worth but after buying it i felt like i made some sort of forbidden mistake. Another example? Fallout 4 complete edition for £30 again, got my money's worth but i never buy games at that price and frankly its another lesson to wait.

So... just saw the rumors for humble choice next month (april). Apparently Assassins creed Valhalla is free. I should be celebrating as i do want it but heres the rub, i want ALL the content. i've seen the ultimate edition for around £24 (it will probably drop to 19.99 this year). But wait! why not just buy the content or the season pass? ubisoft are a bunch of pricks. The season pass content and the 2 expansion packs are 3 different items. So i'm not saving money unless i get the ultimate pack. if there was some sort of ultimate season pass i think it will be different.

there are of course other games like returnal, but yeah, once i bag the games i'm going to cancel my humble monthly pass.

Last edited:

For me, it’s seeing lots of reviewers with 1000+ hours clocked in. I could be very interested in a game, it looks cool and I want to play it, then I read the player reviews and it’s full of people saying “after 1000 hours I can recommend this game”. You can take this two ways, either that they are a master at the game and are able to give a very in depth analytical review of the game, or that they’ve played it so much they can only focus on the negative parts of the game. Either way, it deflates my interest when I see this because I personally don’t want to play a game where 1000 hours is the average for players. Everyone is different, I personally prefer to play a game until I beat it/lose enjoyment then move onto a new game.

Then I see some reviews that make me never want to play the game. I saw a review of ARK Survival from a player with 2000+ hours, saying things like how the game will make you it’s “slave” and that you will become totally consumed by that game. I don’t about you but that makes me really uninterested. Surely I can play it how I want, do a solo map and play at my own pace, but it’s just something about seeing stuff like that that makes me lose all interest.

I have no other word to describe this feeling other than your excitement/interest deflating. And I don’t even really know why I feel this way but I was wondering if you guys feel the same way, or if you have something else that deflates your interest, apart from things like not being a genre you like or having features you don’t like or agree with.
I wouldn't let other people's obsessions deter you. I'm guessing every popular game on Steam has people who have played it for thousands of hours. All it means is that they really enjoyed the game and have no self control. There is nothing in Ark that requires a lot of your time, but it's a sandbox first and foremost, so you may find things you want to do that take a little extra time. If you only do what the game wants you to do to get to the end, it probably takes less than 10 hours. Also, most people play Ark on PvP servers, so that's going to skew how many hours they've played, as people tend to play those servers all day every day.

Do all the reviews from people with 20 hours not do anything to counteract the reviews of the obsessives? If you aren't the type of person who puts thousands of hours in a game, you should ignore the reviews of people who do put that amount of time in and concentrate on the ones who have a reasonable amount of hours.

Also, you should know that many players have all the extra maps which kind of makes Ark not just one game but many games. The last DLC had 3 maps and all new mechanics just by itself. Off the top of my head, I think there are about 8 official maps, each with its own animals, etc. But you obviously don't have to play them all. They are just there if you want more after you finish the main game.

Is this not because you are stoned out of your mind?

I don't see how my personal mental state would translate to the screen and into a game I'm playing—ooh that's just creepy, am I actually a robot after all?

Are there really 5 of her or are you just seeing 5 of her?

Apart from once before, last year or the year before, there's only ever been one of her. Now that one is an illusion, and disappears in a puff of sparkly something after a little while—so 'just seeing her' is the answer to your Q, with the oddity being 5 instances rather than the 99.9%-occurring one instance.

What is that plant all over the place? That isn't the plant the drug comes from?

No, that plant is just decoration—lavender, maybe? Drug is called Bliss and comes from the Bliss plant, which is big and white.

Lnqc3yZ.png

I don't see how my personal mental state would translate to the screen and into a game I'm playing—ooh that's just creepy, am I actually a robot after all?

Apart from once before, last year or the year before, there's only ever been one of her. Now that one is an illusion, and disappears in a puff of sparkly something after a little while—so 'just seeing her' is the answer to your Q, with the oddity being 5 instances rather than the 99.9%-occurring one instance.

No, that plant is just decoration—lavender, maybe? Drug is called Bliss and comes from the Bliss plant, which is big and white.

Lnqc3yZ.png
I can tell you with absolute certainty that I saw multiple instances of her at the same time as you are seeing her. I don't think it's a bug. But it was more dreamlike, as I remember it, than your pictures. Yours may be different because of the mod that prevents you from being captured.

Reactions: Pifanjr
examples of your excitement or interest in game becoming deflated

What Johnway touched on with his endless DLC remark. A broader sense of the game never being finished, which may include DLC drip if they affect the gameplay. More important for me are bug and balance fixes, and the main mods reaching a stable stage after all the dev faffing about is over.

Civ games are a nice example of how to do it right. Release game, fix issues, release 2 expansions in following 2 years, fixing each time. Then maybe 6 months after the 2nd expansion, release the final official patch. Final stages then is the wonderful mod community releasing a community patch if deemed necessary, and mods being updated to the final game state. Now you've got a game worth playing for a long time.

Another 4X example which went the wrong way is Humankind, which I took off my wishlist a few months ago after years of anticipation. Bulk of recent reviewers hadn't reported any improvements from the early flawed state, much to my disappointment as I was fairly sure Amplitude would get it right with some tweaking.

What Johnway touched on with his endless DLC remark. A broader sense of the game never being finished, which may include DLC drip if they affect the gameplay. More important for me are bug and balance fixes, and the main mods reaching a stable stage after all the dev faffing about is over.

Civ games are a nice example of how to do it right. Release game, fix issues, release 2 expansions in following 2 years, fixing each time. Then maybe 6 months after the 2nd expansion, release the final official patch. Final stages then is the wonderful mod community releasing a community patch if deemed necessary, and mods being updated to the final game state. Now you've got a game worth playing for a long time.

Another 4X example which went the wrong way is Humankind, which I took off my wishlist a few months ago after years of anticipation. Bulk of recent reviewers hadn't reported any improvements from the early flawed state, much to my disappointment as I was fairly sure Amplitude would get it right with some tweaking.
I was mistaken. I just watched a video, and what I was remembering was a rapid-fire hallucination where Faith seemed to be all around me. In retrospect, I didn't actually see more than one of her at a time, but would see her in one place, then she would suddenly be somewhere else, creating the illusion that there was more than one of her. I still suspect that what you are experiencing could be due to the mods, though. I haven't found anyone reporting a bug like this.

Guys theres an awesome deal on plague tale bundle on steam, two games cost half of the new one alone. I remembered I still have some funds on my allegro cashback account, so I eventually ended up paying 18eur for both innocence and requiem. Didnt need the first one as I already got it free on epic, but its was definitely worth it for the sequel.User reviews say stunning graphics and great story, but very GPU heavy,just what I like. I didnt buy the 4070 Super not to throw the most demanding stuff at it.

Last edited:

If it's listed as "multiplayer" or "coop", I automatically lose interest. I already am lacking in time, so I want to be able to play in short bursts without feeling like I need time to set something up or I can't leave when I want or I can't do exactly what I want in a game. I want to be able to go look at a thing or **** around if I like and not feel like I'm ruining other people's times.

Piggybacking on that, limited saves or inability to save an exit. I'll make exceptions here and there, but I went from 100% revved for Pacific Drive to completely losing any and all interest in it when I discovered I cannot save and quit at any time. Instead I'm forced to complete a run before I can save and I just don't have that rigidity in my life right now. I cannot sit and play for an hour, let alone an uninterrupted hour, so that's right out.

Also, not sure what exactly you'd call it, but it's something I can spot as soon as I look at screenshots, but games that are a mile wide, but an inch deep. There were a few in 2023, generally darlings with a lot of hype and zeitgeisty discussion around them, but somehow I just get the sense that there's a lot to them, but none of it is very deep, interesting or focused, which means I'm going to get bored relatively quickly if I were to buy them. I like to focus on stuff and dig my teeth in, but if there's nothing to really get those teeth into, it's not going to keep me.

The price and/or the hardware requirements. A game can look like the most awesome game in the world, but if I can't afford to play it there's no point in being hyped about it.

Played some of Supermarket Simulator this morning when I couldn't sleep. I can kind of see why so many people are playing it. Has a fairly addictive progression.

Then I downloaded Stability Diffusion and played around with it, but it is incredibly hard to get a good picture with it compared to with Dal-E and Copilot. Here are the pictures I got using the same prompts from each. They are Steampunk cities:

This one is from Stable Diffusion:
full

This one is from Copilot:
full

I tried over and over again after getting these to get Stable Diffusion to create something like Copilot did, but failed. Here was the original prompt that created these images: "a gleaming, steampunk city with plenty of bronze and copper and brick, photorealistic, isometric view, people in the streets, gears used as decorations, an airship in the sky"

Some people do amazing things with it, though. I just need to look up some tutorials on prompts.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
4X DLC can be the best kind of DLC. They'll make the base game, which works well enough on its own. Then they add DLC to expand on various aspects. Maybe one focused on combat, one on diplomacy/spies, one on a whole new branch of tech to research, and so on. What I like about that is that, after playing the base game for a while, I can pick out the DLC I would like to toss in and what I would rather not pay for. It's like gaming à la carte!

So one of those random persons who sent me a friend request recently contacted me yesterday. I thought, "Crap, here it comes."

New friend: Hey, you want to see a picture I made?

Me: What is it?

New Friend: Well you know how women with tiny heads and huge bodies are really sexy?

Me: Don't send it yet. Hold on. I have to do something real quick

*clicks "Remove from friends" and "Block all communication"

I think I'd rather buy 100 feet of barbed wire and perform a colonoscopy on myself than to use Stable Diffusion. The only reason it's popular is because you can make porn with it. So long as you are happy with your model having a leg sticking out of their head and 8 toes on each foot. I'm so frustrated I've decided I don't even want to talk about it

full

I've been grinding Lightyear Frontier quiet a bit. I'm almost 100% done with what the early access has to offer. For an initial release, its quite polished, bug free and enjoyable.

I like the refund feature, being able to get all crafting resources back when destroying a structure. I've redone my base to make it more efficient. Production machines need to be close to storage to access them, so I build everything around this barn.

full

full

I've also spent some time decorating. I'll be sad when its over but it was fun while it lasted!

full

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts