Looking for online rp game. Suggestions?

Dec 2, 2023
Visit site
So firstly, Hello.. New here. (this is not an intro post, its a question about which game to play)

I'm based in England and a bit older than a lot of gamers - not a pensioner lol but not a kid either.
I'm very into fantasy type stuff and love things with vampires, demons and magic etc in. Also a big fan of the zombie genre. Oh and I can do car games too.
I like roleplay with groups, so these mass online things sound great, but there's a problem.
See, I played Dayz for a while. I loved the open world that you could play at anything in. I loved that people use voice rather than all text. But (and its a huge but), that game is so toxic. Its all about the stuff you have, thats what makes the difference between surviving and dying. So people just rob and kill all the time. I take time over creating a character, I don't want to lose it all over some jerkoff that thinks its Call of duty. For those that haven't played, all Dayz rp servers have a "new life rule" - you die, you lose everything. There's no "respawn and carry on", you're basically back to standing in a field with an apple and it can take hours to get enough together to live.

So what am I looking for? Well, something that captures the good things I mentioned that I like without the things that I get annoyed by. Also a group to join and play as a team/settlement/whatever with.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: Brian Boru
I can recommend Horizon Zero Dawn its not exactly an rp game but worth a look..... when you first start to use it Aloy is a little child and you probably think what has somebody talked me into buying ...... stick with it because after she is " trained " by somebody she suddenly becomes an adult and then the story line takes off.

Their are a lot of cut scenes and video clips in it but you need to watch and listen to them all or you may miss something vital and wonder where the story is going.

During the credits at the end their is a twist .... again you need to watch it.

I have been a gamer since 1982 and a pc geek for 20 years , this is the only game i have completed and restarted the next day .... i usually wait till i have run out of new stuff before i do reruns.

WARFRAME ... this has been around for a long time but still has a huge player base .

FOOTNOTE stay away from dota2 its the most toxic game i have ever used , as you can see from my avatar i am not a kid but i had to stop using it because i just wanted to smash something.

The abuse in chat is shocking and when your in a battle if you make a silly mistake you get abuse from both team mates AND the opposition for messing up the game. I did try it again a couple of years ago and its still the same. Unless the report system has changed it really sucks , others can vote report/kick you without having to give a reason , the length of a kick increases everytime it happens , i dont know if its still the same

Last edited:

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
If you kinda want to play in groups and have a relaxing time, and this is probably the very other end of the spectrum, consider playing ETS2 multiplayer and join a VC (Virtual Company). It makes you able to drive with other people and technically roleplay as a truck driver :D.

Guess that kinda combines the roleplaying and cars (or trucks) part. Also you can pimp your truck instead of a character.

Other than that I think most MMORPG's are co-op rather than PvP? Thinking about TESO now, I played Runes of Magic co-op and there must be others.

Zloth

Community Contributor
ETS2 = Euro Truck Simulator 2, I take it?

I've got to make a plug for City of Heroes/Villains. No, it's not dead. Players are keeping a server alive with donations. The Homecoming group can be found here, and I think there's another CoH out there as well.

It's not fantasy focused, but it is superhero focused - and comic books never shied away from magic. The Circle of Thorns in particular are magic-oriented villains living in the caves under Paragon City (surprisingly extensive caves for New England!) and the heroes - well, I don't think any game has topped the character creation of CoH and CoV. Making a fighter, wizard, or whatever will be child's play.

A huge plus to the game is the sidekicking feature. When you act as a sidekick to another hero (or villain, though it's named something else on that side), your character's stats get beefed up so you are effectively one level lower than your mentor. That allows you to go on missions well past your level and still contribute. The reverse is also available, allowing higher level characters to go on low level missions and still earn experience points. The practical upshot being that you can play whatever character you want, whenever you want, without worrying about getting ahead or behind your group of friends. There's no mad dash to max level, either.

I haven't played for a long time now, but the game used to be largely non-toxic. Given that the game sorta-died and is only being kept alive by the most passionate fans, I'm guessing it's still pretty easy to find teams that are polite. The average age will likely be higher, too, so you can make joke about Molly Ringwald and actually have people laugh.

Missions are done by teams of up to 8. The enemies you face quickly scale to the number of characters you have in the team. If your team of 3 invites 4 more into the team, you'll find much larger groups of enemies next time you round a corner. Conversely, if you are in a team of 3 and something comes up, forcing you to log out, you don't need to feel guilty. The game will adjust pretty quickly to the smaller team. Also, the teams can do well despite not having all the traditional jobs (damager, tanker, healer) jobs covered. Most characters can even solo pretty well - though it tends to get monotonous. (Missions are almost always instanced, so it will just be your team in there. Forget about waiting your turn to fight a level's boss.)

Each character can be part of a supergroup, too. There's a supergroup channel to let everyone in the SG talk to each other, a base that can be built, and supergroup colors. You can enter a command and POOF! Whatever costume you have on switches to the supergroup colors and gets the supergroup symbol on it. You can turn it off later. to go back to your normal colors.

• Love
Like me, you probably can't tolerate PVP environments (i've gone into my reasons why i don't touch that those games before). So it leaves us with the PVE stuff.

my first recommendation is path of exile. its free and its pretty robust. Pick a user friendly build and off you go. Well, until the recent meta changes anyway... But worst case scenario is join a pub game and ride on the coat tails of someone who's much better. Not going to lie, it does become addictive as you commit more and more time to it especially when you're hunting for challenges and after rewards.

other stuff? perhaps SP games like Pillars of eternity, Fallout series, Skyrim.

ARPG wise, you could go for diablo 3, titan quest, borderlands 3 etc.

Apr 25, 2023
Visit site
I can recommend Horizon Zero Dawn its not exactly an rp game but worth a look..... when you first start to use it Aloy is a little child and you probably think what has somebody talked me into buying ...... stick with it because after she is " trained " by somebody she suddenly becomes an adult and then the story line takes off.

Their are a lot of cut scenes and video clips in it but you need to watch and listen to them all or you may miss something vital and wonder where the story is going.

During the credits at the end their is a twist .... again you need to watch it.

I have been a gamer since 1982 and a pc geek for 20 years , this is the only game i have completed and restarted the next day .... i usually wait till i have run out of new stuff before i do reruns.

WARFRAME ... this has been around for a long time but still has a huge player base .

FOOTNOTE stay away from dota2 its the most toxic game i have ever used , as you can see from my avatar i am not a kid but i had to stop using it because i just wanted to smash something.

The abuse in chat is shocking and when your in a battle if you make a silly mistake you get abuse from both team mates AND the opposition for messing up the game. I did try it again a couple of years ago and its still the same. Unless the report system has changed it really sucks , others can vote report/kick you without having to give a reason , the length of a kick increases everytime it happens , i dont know if its still the same

Thank you, I will keep it in my mind. I appreciate you for taking your time to write it and explanation. Delve into the pressing issue of ocean pollution through the lens of https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/ocean-pollution/ Ocean Pollution' essay examples. This resource sheds light on the environmental challenges our oceans face, providing a comprehensive perspective on the urgent need for conservation efforts.
Thank you, I will keep it in my mind. I appreciate you for taking your time to write it and explanation.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
If you're in search of an engaging online role-playing game (RP game), exploring titles developed by renowned RPG game development company is a great starting point. These companies often bring to the table a diverse array of immersive experiences, from fantasy adventures to sci-fi quests. For a classic MMORPG experience, you might enjoy "World of Warcraft" by Blizzard Entertainment, known for its vast world and deep lore. For players interested in a more narrative-driven experience, "Final Fantasy XIV" from Square Enix offers a rich storyline and expansive world to explore. Both games showcase the expertise and creativity of leading RPG game development companies, ensuring a captivating online role-playing experience.

[Mod edit: company link removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts