July 2024 Game Discussion Thread

Page 11 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Personally, I don't research someone's post history, and there's nothing unusual about someone being excited about a game I've never heard of. I did question it when I went to the corporate site, though, which is why I brought up how dodgy it seemed.
in a now deleted post, I did look into them enough to find it was an NFT game and thought about removing that post. Its one of the few NFT games on Steam. I expect the address problem you found might mean it won't stay on there long. Many different addresses looks to me like they intentionally made it hard to figure out who owns what.

It's not our personalities, sunny and impressive tho they be—our job is to implement PCG's policies, not make policy :)

I didn't mean the mods per se, I meant the users.

User [at]NFTspamhacker420 says: “Hey guys, I just found this awesome new game, World of Obvious Scam, where you can pwn n00bs and also make money while you play! It's like [insert game here] but with blockchain! Who else has been playing it?”

User [at]kindlyforumite: “Hi, and welcome to the forum! I've not seen this game before but it makes me think of…” [thread continues for several pages]

Weekend sales:

Total War: Pharaoh is also reduced by a third for its Dynasties de facto relaunch

Playing System Shock Remake and really enjoying myself for the first time. I've already played 13 hours of this game, but didn't really enjoy my previous time with it as I am now.

That said, I'm unsure if the default difficulty is challenging enough and I'm debating if I should restart. I'm awash in resources and finding it very easy to kill things on the first two levels of the station; I just wiped out the CPU's on research and was ambushed by all the cyborgs I knew were coming, but they all crowded the door and one frag grenade dispatched all of them with no fuss.

Sure, it was my last grenade, but I immediately picked up another and I have so many med patches and batteries, I can get my health and energy back up without issue. I've had so many bullets I'm able to just walk around and pop cyborgs in the head with three shots and move on; granted, robots take many more shots and tend to be more challenging, but still.

I'm unsure if I should just continue on this difficulty and hope things get more challenging or if I should restart.

Maybe I'll just restart and see how it goes...

unsure if I should just continue on this difficulty … or if I should restart

Can you save current state and restart harder?
Then you can go back to Normal if Hard doesn't suit.

When Normal becomes too easy after playing a while, I make my own difficulty—typically no use of machine guns and/or explosives. There's usually some such self-adjustment to find the balance you want.

I'm unsure if I should just continue on this difficulty and hope things get more challenging or if I should restart.

Maybe I'll just restart and see how it goes...
Does the game allow you to change difficulty during the playthrough or do you have to restart all the way?

It’s such a hard thing trying to find the perfect balance of being challenging and being too easy. Saints Row 2 was like this. On normal difficulty, the challenge goes away after a few hours once you load your pockets with ammo and guns. You had to start all the way over in order to change the difficulty, so I tried Hardcore (the next step up) and gave up in less than 10 hours.

What do you think of Pharaoh?
Pharaoh got a lot better today. It's now two separate games in my library, the original one and the new Dynasty. A ton of new factions and units and gameplay options. The difficulty is such that I may need to break my long-standing tradition of not watching anyone play so that I can learn some tips. I've never watch anyone play before. It might be fun.

We just finished playing and this is the hardest Total War in many years, possibly ever. Two things are causing this: resources are very hard to come by. One unit may cost 550 food a turn, and a settlement might produce about 200. Basically, you have to scrap for food. Win battles, barter with other factions, etc. I'm currently losing 1700 food per turn, but have 16000 food. I've never produced enough food, but I'm doing okay with it.

The second thing that makes it hard are the garrisons. Troy had some great late game garrisons, but these are tough in the early game. If the enemy has a small army in the settlement plus the garrison, you are pretty much guaranteed to have to manually fight the battle, at least at this stage in the game when I can't afford units.

It's all a struggle. I'm losing 155 bronze per turn and have 490 in stock. I spent six turns attacking and retreating against a settlement because my nice 20 stack army couldn't defeat the garrison and a 6 unit army. I was basically just preventing them from creating more units until I could go further and further into debt and get a 2nd army there. When I got there, I still had to fight the battle because auto-resolve said I was going to have a "close defeat". The battle was horrendous, but I won by routing their general and ganging up on stray enemy units. Got enough of them routing at the same time to send the whole army running. Honestly, I thought I was going to lose the right up until the moment I won. For one thing, I had units hidden in the forest I was going to use for flanking, and they sent 4 units of chariots right at them. I was very relieved when that battle was over.

At one point, Guido commented that the game was impossible, and when we quit for the day, he asked if we could start over from scratch tomorrow. Guido isn't a bad player at all, either. Things were finally looking up for me, but I'll take what I learned today and do things better tomorrow (hopefully). The kicker is we were only playing on Normal, figuring correctly that we'd need to learn the game.

By the way, there are a decent amount of bugs. We had several desyncs that were always followed by crashes to the desktop, and there are some very basic QoL features missing from the game. I have one settlement where I can't destroy a building, etc. Also, when playing co-op, you cannot give the other player units to play during battles. Your partner's options are to either play as the enemy or just watch (or alt-tab to something more interesting). Despite the problems, I'm very excited about all this.

Oh, I'm glad you can still play the original Pharaoh, as well.

Can you save current state and restart harder?
Then you can go back to Normal if Hard doesn't suit.

When Normal becomes too easy after playing a while, I make my own difficulty—typically no use of machine guns and/or explosives. There's usually some such self-adjustment to find the balance you want.

Does the game allow you to change difficulty during the playthrough or do you have to restart all the way?

It’s such a hard thing trying to find the perfect balance of being challenging and being too easy. Saints Row 2 was like this. On normal difficulty, the challenge goes away after a few hours once you load your pockets with ammo and guns. You had to start all the way over in order to change the difficulty, so I tried Hardcore (the next step up) and gave up in less than 10 hours.

Unfortunately, can't change difficulty mid playthrough.

That said, I did some research and the higher difficulty isn't any better, the enemies are just more bullet spongy. Otherwise, the amount of resources you collect is pretty much the same, so I'll just keep playing it; I'm still enjoying myself.

Unfortunately, can't change difficulty mid playthrough.

That said, I did some research and the higher difficulty isn't any better, the enemies are just more bullet spongy. Otherwise, the amount of resources you collect is pretty much the same, so I'll just keep playing it; I'm still enjoying myself.
Don't shooters make the beginning of games sort of like training wheels for beginners? Seems like it should get tougher soon enough.

My wife asked if I would mind if she tried a single-player playthrough of Baldur's Gate 3 when I went to bed.

Which is how we found out that our problems with the game crashing so often are unique to split-screen play, as she played for hours without a single crash.

So now I guess we'll just wait until patch 7 releases until we continue our shared game, as it's (supposedly) bringing a bunch of improvements to split-screen play.

@ZedClampet That's really exciting to hear about Pharaoh.

By the way, there are a decent amount of bugs. We had several desyncs that were always followed by crashes to the desktop
My wife and I tried continuing our Baldur's Gate 3 game, but after 5 crashes in 30 minutes we gave up.
My wife asked if I would mind if she tried a single-player playthrough of Baldur's Gate 3 when I went to bed.

Which is how we found out that our problems with the game crashing so often are unique to split-screen play, as she played for hours without a single crash.
Singleplayer master race ftw

(Total War multiplayer has always been notorious for desyncs, that's far from unique to Pharaoh)

(Total War multiplayer has always been notorious for desyncs, that's far from unique to Pharaoh)
It's not known for desyncs that can't be resynced and crash you to the desktop. Every time we had a desync we ended up crashing. Early TWW3 had a terrible desync problem, but at least you didn't have to relaunch the game. Never had a desync in Shogun, Troy, Three Kingdoms, or Rome 2. Never had one in the original Pharaoh, either, but some of these I have only played a couple of multiplayer campaigns.

Don't shooters make the beginning of games sort of like training wheels for beginners?

Depends on the game. Some do, others like to put a particularly tough and/or off-genre sequence at the start. Good example of that is Far Cry 5, where I've seen people say the intro sequence is almost unbeatable on the hardest difficulty.

My wife told me she was going to

Fixed that ;)

It's not known for desyncs that can't be resynced and crash you to the desktop. Every time we had a desync we ended up crashing. Early TWW3 had a terrible desync problem, but at least you didn't have to relaunch the game. Never had a desync in Shogun, Troy, Three Kingdoms, or Rome 2. Never had one in the original Pharaoh, either, but some of these I have only played a couple of multiplayer campaigns.

Afaik both TWWH1 & 2 were notorious for their desyncs.

Afaik both TWWH1 & 2 were notorious for their desyncs.
Yeah. For us the worst was 3. Right after release it was non-stop and basically unplayable until we figured out that after the AI turn both of us needed to announce that we were ready before anyone moved. The problem for us was that Guido's PC was finishing the AI slightly ahead of mine, just like a half a second, but Guido was always ready to move the moment he was able, and it caused us to desync every time. Took us awhile to figure out what was happening. This was due to the introduction of simultaneous turns. They somehow managed to fix that. I guess the PCs send a signal to each other when done or something. Not sure, but they fixed it pretty quickly.

Don't shooters make the beginning of games sort of like training wheels for beginners? Seems like it should get tougher soon enough.

True, but System Shock is more akin to Survival Horror. Remake has plenty of shooting in it, which maybe is a little too easy due to modern controls, where the original was kind of panicked and jank, which added to that Survival Horror distinction.

Resources should be harder to come by, so I'm kind of retreating back to safe spaces and then pushing back out and trying to get a little further and gather more.

I am beginning to run lower on resources as I get further into the station, so maybe things will get a little better on that front as I go.

Rules for our Death Rally competition, feel free to come with some input and if everything seems good for you guys, I'll throw in the draft and we moderators take some time going through it and then start the competition on August the 1st.

Rules:
  • Difficulty: I LIVE TO RIDE /W WEAPONS
  • No cheat codes or glitches (like driving through vegetation or places where there are no roads)
  • No restarts to get a better position on the track
  • Maps to compete on: Hell Mountain, Palm Side, Oasis, Snake Alley, Desert Run, Rock Zone, Suburbia, Utopia, NewArk, Complex, Downtown, Eidolon, Bogota, HoloCaust, Toxic Dump, West End, Velodrome, Borneo and Arena.
  • The best Race Time on all maps counts.
  • Have your forum name with the best race times so we know who you are.
  • The lap times can be posted in the official competition post which will be posted on the 1st of August.
Winner: The one with the best overall race time on all maps will win a prize and be forever known as the PC Gamer Forums Death Rally Champion. The lap times can be posted in the official competition post which will be posted on the 1st of August.

Prize: As we talked about before, the prize is completely voluntary and should be a complementary prize just for fun. The real prize is winning and also joining in on the competition.

Last edited:
Rules for our Death Rally competition, feel free to come with some input and if everything seems good for you guys, I'll throw in the draft and we moderators take some time going through it and then start the competition on August the 1st.

Rules:
  • No cheat codes or glitches (like driving through vegetation or places where there are no roads)
  • Maps to compete on: Hell Mountain, Palm Side, Oasis, Snake Alley, Desert Run, Rock Zone, Suburbia, Utopia, NewArk, Complex, Downtown, Eidolon, Bogota, HoloCaust, Toxic Dump, West End, Velodrome, Borneo and Arena.
  • The lap times can be posted in the official competition post which will be posted on the 1st of August.
Winner: The one with the best overall race time on all maps will win a prize and be forever known as the PC Gamer Forums Death Rally Champion. The lap times can be posted in the official competition post which will be posted on the 1st of August.

Prize: As we talked about before, the prize is completely voluntary and should be a complementary prize just for fun. The real prize is winning and also joining in on the competition.
Should be fun. I do a lot of top down racing, but I'm not any good at it, and I've never done one with guns. I expect to lose hard and whine that we aren't playing Forza instead.

I could have been practicing all this time, I suppose.

Rules:

I'm about to clean the couch cushions. In the old days, this could have provided a prize pool, but no one has used cash/change around here in ages. Now, in my chair, I did drop a used syringe earlier this morning and couldn't find it, so if I find that, I'll be willing to mail it to the winner so long as the winner comes from a real country (USA).

I could also provide toenail clippings, but not for a couple of weeks, as I just clipped them a couple of days ago. I should have saved them. Would those go to the winner or the runner up? Would any tariffs apply if you live in a fake country (not USA)?

1. Exempt Human Specimens:
    • Toenail clippings fall under the category of “exempt human specimens.” These are non-infectious materials from the human body.
    • Unlike more hazardous substances, exempt specimens have fewer restrictions during shipping.
  2. Packaging Requirements:
    • When shipping toenail clippings or similar samples:
      • Use a watertight inner receptacle (like a sealed plastic bag or container) to secure the sample.
      • Place absorbent material between the primary and secondary receptacles to soak up any liquid.
      • Pack the sample in sturdy outer packaging (corrugated fiberboard, plastic, or metal) appropriately sized for the contents.
      • Consider using an Overwrap/Overpack for added protection during transit.
      • Avoid flimsy chipboard boxes or paper envelopes—they won’t cut it (pun intended again!).
  3. Marking and Labeling:
    • Properly mark the package as “Exempt Human Specimen” to comply with regulations.
    • You can use a label or include the marking directly on the package.
  4. Shipping Services:
    • FedEx and UPS offer specialized pouches for shipping biological specimens, including exempt human samples.
    • Insert the airway bill (shipping documentation) flat in the pouch, and remember to keep the sender’s copy for your records.
Thanks, CoPilot. I'm feel more informed and prepared now.

Last edited:
I do belive we have a prize donator already (if not, I'll be happy to throw in a key for a game) But if we get desperate, I am sure a used syringe or toenail clippings would work too.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrxqRLYVKHM (no idea what they say, but I do belive there are some syringes going about)

As for real country, I do think the USA has some really good artists, but we also have a few famous artists like Kurt Nilsen, Sputnik, Bjøro Håland, and Rune Rudberg here in Norway.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgBA6rEsYA0

Last edited:
Green Man Gaming Summer Sale 2024 SUMMER15 code for 15% off. Happy hunting!
1n4PFJc.gif

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts