Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
My PC:
-H97 ANNIVERSARY FOR 1150 SOCKETS

-i5 4460 INTEL

-R9 380 AMD MSI

- 8 GB OF RAM

-EVGA 500W POWER SUPPLIE

I play games like the Witcher 3, Subnautica, COD, GTA, exploration/survival games (ARK)... My question is: when should I build another PC? I bought the PC that I have right now in 2016... I think that my GPU is a little bit broken because when I play bigger games, it crashes all the time... But it works for games like Gwent (the Witcher game of card lol)

I do not know if I should wait for ryzen 5000 in 2021... For now, I think that I could buy only a new graphic card, but It would be temporary if I buy cheap... But if i buy a very good graphic card, i will put it in my future new PC... I just need advices! Thanks!

When should I rebuilt my PC

Not until you need to :)

There is always something new around the corner for PC tech. Soon, Intel 10th Gen desktop CPUs. Later this year, Ryzen 4000 series. New GPUs too, probably. Then systems with DDR5 and maybe even PCIe 5.0 in 2021/2022. Waiting for 2 years if you actually need something new now is probably not a good idea.

But, If your CPU is still fine for the games you play now, you might as well keep it. Then when you do need to upgrade, you can buy something newer, better, for the same kind of price as the options today.

My advice is - don't upgrade the GPU until you have finished troubleshooting the crashes.

If it is not a faulty GPU, you may waste money and not even fix the crashes.

Have you done a clean reinstall of Windows? And tested with a clean install, and no extra software?

Have you checked thermals for the GPU during gaming / with crashes?

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
Not until you need to

There is always something new around the corner for PC tech. Soon, Intel 10th Gen desktop CPUs. Later this year, Ryzen 4000 series. New GPUs too, probably. Then systems with DDR5 and maybe even PCIe 5.0 in 2021/2022. Waiting for 2 years if you actually need something new now is probably not a good idea.

But, If your CPU is still fine for the games you play now, you might as well keep it. Then when you do need to upgrade, you can buy something newer, better, for the same kind of price as the options today.

My advice is - don't upgrade the GPU until you have finished troubleshooting the crashes.

If it is not a faulty GPU, you may waste money and not even fix the crashes.

Have you done a clean reinstall of Windows? And tested with a clean install, and no extra software?

Have you checked thermals for the GPU during gaming / with crashes?
This. Start by figuring out the cause of the GPU crashes. Once you've solved that, you can get new hardware when and if you need it. If you get your GPU working without crashes, but you find that it still is not delivering the framerates you want, then go for a GPU upgrade. If it's your CPU that's struggling, start planning a new system around a new CPU.

Whichever way you go...
For now, I think that I could buy only a new graphic card, but It would be temporary if I buy cheap...
Don't do this ^ ^ ^

If you end up replacing your GPU, replace it with something that you think will satisfy your gaming needs for the next 3 - 5 years.

Reactions: Oussebon
Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi! Thanks you for the replies! Now I made some tests (played some games with the stock graphic card of my Mobo) and I am 100% sure that my r9 380is broken. Now I want the best 1080 graphic card. Do you have some suggestions? I looked for the rx570 and the 1660/1650 super but in Canada everything is more expensive lol

What is your budget in CAD for a new GPU?

Have you done a sweep of the drivers with DDU and done a reinstall of the latest drivers?

Have you done a clean installation of Windows yet?

I really do suggest trying those first, because they are free. And also it's arguably not a bad idea to do them once in a while anyway.

Reactions: Ti-pit
Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
I used malwarebyte, glarysoft and driver booster (windows uptade). I got the most recent gpu driver and my pc crash after 2 minutes in the kombustor msi benchmark... My CAD budget is around (250$-300$) and I want a dencent graphic card for the next 3 years minimum...

Make an installation media here (assuming Windows 10)

Boot from the USB. During the installation process, choose a custom install, and delete all partitions on your OS drive so that all that is left is "unallocated space". The install the OS onto that empty drive. There's a guide here:

That will of course make you lose your files and downloaded games, so you will want to back up anything you need to keep first.