Whats quickest a 80GB game can be downloaded

May 23, 2020
Visit site
What's the quickest ( time in hours, minutes ) you can download a 90GB game at. If I have 40GB download speed how long would it take, if I had 1GB Internet how long would it take ?

Currently world record internet speed is 319tb/s so how about... 1 second?

also depends what you writing it to and how big its cache is before it slows down. Steam for instance has to wait for drive to catch up in some cases.

It is hard to say, I don't have that speed myself so I can't guess. I only have 110mbps connection. So 1gbps is already 9x times what I can do.

Its a difficult question to ask google search as logical answer is 80 seconds if you got max speed on a 1gbps connection... but that is rare. I wouldn't expect it would take that long really. A few minutes max

It can depend on what speed the server is running too. You having 1gbps doesn't help if the server is slow or overloaded with requests.

Reactions: Brian Boru

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What's the quickest ( time in hours, minutes ) you can download a 90GB game at. If I have 40GB download speed how long would it take, if I had 1GB Internet how long would it take ?
With a gigabit connection, it could take anywhere from 1.5 minutes to 15 minutes to download a 90GB file. Without defining all the parameters, this is the best swag I can make.

Did you mean 40Mbps and not 40Gbps?

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yeah, the "B" vs. "b" thing is important. B is bytes and b is bits. There are 8 bits in a byte so 1GB/s is 8 times faster than 8Gb/s.

You can just do the math, otherwise. An 80GB game is 640Gb. At 1Gb/s, it will take 640 seconds, so 10m 40s.

The reason everybody is being cagey is because that's a theoretical limit. It will only happen if the server sending you the data can do it that fast. Steam seems to average 0.7Gb/s for me, varying between 0.9 and, well, less - sometimes WAY less. Unless you are in Kansas City, though, you're going to get a different average. Steam has data centers all over the world and they don't all go the same speed or have the same level of traffic.

I have 40GB download speed

Just to confirm, that's 40 gigaBYTES, not gigaBITS? [latter is 8 times less]
You don't mention the time period—is that 40GB/hour? If yes, then 90GB download takes 2.25 hours.
IN THEORY

The guys have mentioned the dependencies between where the game is being sent from, and what country & location you're in. Do you know there are probably 15-20 separate 'hops' between your PC and the sending server? You can test this yourself via the 'Tracert' command.

Point is: your download will proceed at the slowest of the different 15-20 speeds along the download route.

I regularly download YouTube content, with 10x variability in the speed—ie can be 2 minutes or 20. Steam is usually the slowest of my game download sources, with a 100GB games taking a few hours, typically 3-6. My top download speed is ~100Mbps.

A few tricks:

♣ When a download is going slow, I disconnect and reconnect my WiFi—not physically at router, just via Taskbar notification area. Takes maybe 5 seconds to do, and can up speed 10x to near maximum.

Check which channel your router is working on, compared to others in your locale. Change to less congested one.

♥ Change your DNS provider. By default this will be your ISP, but others like Google will usually be faster and more stable.

Conclusion

If you're chasing reliable fast speed, forget it—there are far too many variables involved. Improve the few under your control, and forget the rest.

FSkq6bY.png

Reactions: neogunhero
ISP using bits when everyone assumes they mean bytes is an old trap. Its great for advertising...

I get 110 Megabit per second so about... 12MB per second in reality as you never get max speed, the router has some overhead as well. At least here... 110 / 8 = 13.5
Sorry for error, I did mean 40mbs download speed
So 40 Megabits = 5 Megabytes per second. And that is max, so probably less. And thats under perfect conditions... I would think it might take a day or so... maybe more.

I used to have 1.87Megabits per second download speeds... everything took forever to get. So I don't take speed for granted.

Reactions: neogunhero
If you're chasing reliable fast speed, forget it—there are far too many variables involved. Improve the few under your control, and forget the rest.
Agree with this. As I just recently found out (the hard way), a DRAM-less SSD will have some trouble with downloads as default Windows settings causes it to write to your systems RAM first. That is just one of many factors that go into download speeds/time.

Again as people have said, everything is theoretical, but using a Download Time Calculator you can find online, an 80GB game downloading at 40MB/s, you’re looking at ~33 minutes. I’m assuming these are the correct file size/download speed you mentioned in the OP.

40MB/s (megabytes not bits) is quite fast for the average user. Doing a quick google search, results for median average download speed in the USA came to be 138.90mbps, or roughly 17.4MB/s. In the UK it says 69.4mbps, or roughly 8.9MB/s.

Personally, if you have 40MB/s fairly consistently for your downloads, I’d be very happy about it. I currently have 200mbps internet but my speeds can go up to 29MB/s so somehow I’m getting a bit more than what I pay for. Don’t tell my ISP🤫

40MB/s (megabytes not bits) is quite fast for the average user.
40 x 8 = 320 Mbit
there are a few places that offer 1Terrabit per second... but the worlds fastest country average is Singapore with 264 Megabits per second.

Meanwhile... Australia is 54.37 and USA is 215.72

I was happy with 75 for a few years. Updated router last year and got 40 extra just from that. Same plan, just old hardware holding me back.
I don't download much... its fast enough to stream music to me... I am happy.

40 x 8 = 320 Mbit
there are a few places that offer 1Terrabit per second... but the worlds fastest country average is Singapore with 264 Megabits per second.

Meanwhile... Australia is 54.37 and USA is 215.72

I was happy with 75 for a few years. Updated router last year and got 40 extra just from that. Same plan, just old hardware holding me back.
I don't download much... its fast enough to stream music to me... I am happy.
friend of mine visited Singapore lat year, I was astonished when he showed me the pictures. It's like what children imagine cities of the future. He felt like he teleported there from the middle ages, having spent his whole life in Central Europe.

Its easy to be fast if you also small.

QwBcCrq.jpg

first two are not very big, Chile is impressive

US is going pretty well given its size but I bet range of speed is still too big between best and worst. Fastest in Australia is 582mbit , slowest... um, hate to think... half of our country holding other half back - https://www.finder.com.au/internet-speed-statistics - though starlink is helping here now. I don't know if that shows in those stats

US is going pretty well given its size but I bet range of speed is still too big between best and worst.
Another set-back for the US (and I’m sure most other parts of the world) is also local/state governments. Some states have pushed to improve their broadband and fiber networks more so than other states. I live in AR which is quite low in terms of average speeds by state, and in my specific location I’m in a very good position to be getting close to 30MB/s speeds. My last house we had to rely on Verizon hotspot wireless, but it was their 4G version not the 5G cube you see in ads now. It maxed out at 1.5MB/s on a good day… averaged out closer to 600KB/s. Just in the past year has our state really pushed an initiative to broaden high-speed internet access. Most major ISPs won’t touch us outside of the larger urban areas.

Our govt a few years ago decided we needed a national broadband network but they lost power, and the network we got is a cheap version of what we were promised. The party who originally planned it have power now so see if they can fix it.

I don't use it myself. I was already on a fast network and wasn't forced to swap. If I wanted faster speed I probably would have to unless they update my local one again. No rush. Its fast enough for what I use it for.

TRENDING THREADS