The Currently Playing & Random Game Thoughts Thread (April 3 to April 9)

Well, my trip was fun. We came in 2nd on a couple of things and 4th on a couple of things also. Considering how many teams were there, I'd say that was pretty good. Of course, everyone wanted to go to the national competition, and to do that you have to finish 1st in something, but they will all be back next year, and maybe they learned something they can carry over. For one thing, double check your math, as they probably would have won one of the categories if they hadn't made a math error.

As for gaming, I'm still terraforming a world in The Planet Crafter. Where I had my base did, in fact, get covered over in water. I didn't realize the water was still forming. Now I'm worried about one of the other places I built. It's a lot of fun. Not sure about the end game, which is where I'm about to be. Of course it's in early access, so I'm fairly impressed with the state of it. Had one bug the whole time I played, and that fixed itself when I logged out and back in. And the game has a lot of content. It feels complete.

I finally got the Covid, hasnt been too bad in all luckily, probably back to work in a couple of days as it seems to have cleared up nicely, just tired now. It does allow me to play Elden Ring pretty much all day tomorrow, which is a bit of a bonus. Just got into the outer wall of Leyndell, had a bit of a lull where I was travelling around the map clearing up a few fights I left for later, probably coming close to the end game now.

Other than the 'E' word, I started a new Battle Brothers campaign as they added in a free final content update and patch. Still a great game.

In every game that involves base building, players are divided into two groups: ones who build extraordinary creations and ones who wish they could build extraordinary creations but end up living in fancy boxes. Sadly, I'm a fancy box guy.

Here's the fancy box I was building last night in Valheim:

7CFBC1BE7C4854295A34CA43B66611C339E84651

In every game that involves base building, players are divided into two groups: ones who build extraordinary creations and ones who wish they could build extraordinary creations but end up living in fancy boxes. Sadly, I'm a fancy box guy.

Here's the fancy box I was building last night in Valheim:

7CFBC1BE7C4854295A34CA43B66611C339E84651

I totally could build an extraordinary creation, but these resources don't gather themselves. I'll just mine a bit more and upgrade these tools and explore that island over there and...

My "base" is usually just a bunch of thrown together rooms, with the lawn around it littered with various projects and work stations as well. I do usually organise my storage area fairly well though. At least once I realize I have the same resource spread out over 3 different chests.

I totally could build an extraordinary creation, but these resources don't gather themselves. I'll just mine a bit more and upgrade these tools and explore that island over there and...

My "base" is usually just a bunch of thrown together rooms, with the lawn around it littered with various projects and work stations as well. I do usually organise my storage area fairly well though. At least once I realize I have the same resource spread out over 3 different chests.
I always keep organized chests, but my co-op partners don't quite grasp what I've done.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I've still be playing indies for the most part. I'm primarily playing Gunfire Reborn right now, which is a fun Roguelite FPS with a good amount of progression. The progression side of it is really appealing to me and keeps me wanting to comeback. I also played and beat Journey for the first time. A nice, short indie game with a really stellar soundtrack. Quite relaxing. Lastly, I've been playing a bit of Assassin's Creed Unity on the side. I'm enjoying it more than I expected, and I really like the more contained open worlds of back then. I think world size has gotten a little crazy in modern titles.

Pretty much the same here, Lost Ark, PUBG and, oh! I have started playing JYDGE. JYDGE is It kind of Robocop top-down shooter that isn't exactly that good, but it's worth playing for some hours at least.

looks like @ZedClampet is about to crucify a giant troll:D

The reason for the cross was to save stone. Wooden building components cost 2 wood, but stone cost 6, and I was tired of mining for stone. My son was also using stone building bridges (we're on an island), so I was having to go farther and farther away. There was this Stonehenge type structure on the next island over, and I even tore that down to get stones.

Looks like a nice modern box. I thought Valheim landed you in a field and you got to chop trees & dig dirt… so are you far along, or am I wrong again?

We started a new world, but are using the same characters we used on our old world, so you could say we're high level characters in a low level world.

It's been a long time since we played. I finished enclosing the house, and then I built our fire pits and stood back and watched as the house filled with smoke. I forgot you had to create chimneys in this game, which is actually kind of cool. The house is really ugly from the outside, but looks very good on the inside.

Last edited:
DUDE!!

Well, OK, probably not the worst thing any of us have done in video games.
Speaking of doing bad things in games...

I'm playing No Man's Sky, and I'm not very far because I don't have a lot of time to play, and it seems like it takes a lot of time. But anyway, the animals on my planet seem to all be very non-aggressive. I haven't had the heart to try to kill one yet. Does anyone ever kill those animals?

Speaking of doing bad things in games...

I'm playing No Man's Sky, and I'm not very far because I don't have a lot of time to play, and it seems like it takes a lot of time. But anyway, the animals on my planet seem to all be very non-aggressive. I haven't had the heart to try to kill one yet. Does anyone ever kill those animals?

I only killed them when I had a mission that required it.

Reactions: Pifanjr
No predators at all? There's normally a few around on every planet with life. Or at least that's how it used to be - they keep changing things in that game.

They haven't changed it. He just hasn't found them yet.

In other news, we played some co-op TWW3 last night with mods and had a qualified blast. The mods were great. There is a mod by a Chinese modder called Deer24 that adds 13 new units to Cathay, and they are very fun to play. Some of the units are a bit OP, but those are unit capped, which goes along with how the game typically handles that. There's another mod that changes the responsiveness of units during battle so that they actually do what you want them to. It's a game changer.

HOWEVER, we had a problem with desyncing. We probably desynced at least every other turn, and whenever you desync, the game has to reload. I was baffled as to what was causing it, but suspected it was a particular mod. We deleted the mod, but it was still happening. Finally I figured it out. When the AI took its turn, it finished on my son's computer slightly before it finished on mine, and he went ahead and started his turn, so when the AI finished on my PC, the game noticed that the two games weren't the same and made us resync. After I told him not to move until I told him we were clear, it didn't happen anymore, which was a relief, but we wasted about an hour on the problem.

No predators at all? There's normally a few around on every planet with life. Or at least that's how it used to be - they keep changing things in that game.
I haven't seen any yet. I did get into my first dogfight in space, though. I was just trying to get to the space station, and some idiot started shooting at me, so I ended up having to take him out.

I just got my hyperdrive and went to my first new star system. Had to quit playing, so I haven't gotten to explore yet.

TRENDING THREADS