The Currently Playing & Random Game Thoughts Thread (5 June to 11 June)

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Maybe around 30,000.

I wonder is that more than are exclusive to Epic :unsure:
You're both bonkers, getting together and having your little bonkers party. :ROFLMAO:There are no games that are exclusives to Steam. In gaming terms, an exclusive is a game that has been paid to only be on a certain platform(s). That does not apply to a single game on Steam.

But I fully respect your incorrect opinions. :p

Moving on forever...

Speaking of better storefronts, V Rising doesn't support controller, but I wanted to see if it was easier to manage that way. Using Steam's controller setup feature, it took me about 5 minutes to map their controls to my Xbox controller and be ready to go.

Sadly, it was not easier with a controller. I guess there's nothing left to me but practice.

If they become good enough, they can become a serious competitor to Steam. The fact is that they aren't good enough, but are artificially propping themselves up with anti-consumer behavior. You won't convince me to agree with it.

Well, I'm up early, as usual. Now what? I guess I'll listen to some music and work on a mod project. I need something I'm more passionate about.
I'm not super anti-Epic, but the reason the "competition" argument doesn't hold much weight for me is because it seems like Epic thinks they deserve market share simply because Steam has too much without actually putting in any work. Epic isn't entitled to anything. They have a dramatically inferior store, and if they want to compete they have to actually improve their service. In theory, I agree that competition is good, but Steam is the king for a reason. Their service is simply better.

I assume Epic still have 5 years of dev on the store until they're 'ready'—I recall 2027 being quoted as when they envisage the store moving into profit.

In theory, I agree that competition is good
It was a theory some centuries back. It's been incontrovertibly proven in practice since that competition is not only good, it's essential—for both consumer welfare and innovation. The gaming industry is far too big now to ignore potential market distortions.

Btw Epic is nowhere near enough. A competitive market generally requires at least 4 significant competitors who combined have less than 40% of the market share.

• Love
Reactions: Pifanjr
If they become good enough, they can become a serious competitor to Steam. The fact is that they aren't good enough, but are artificially propping themselves up with anti-consumer behavior. You won't convince me to agree with it.
Here's where you and I differ. You're more like an activist against anti-consumer behavior, and I'm just a consumer. Being "just a consumer," if somebody is going to offer me a free game that I want, or even the best/only way to buy a game that I'm in the market for, I'm going to take them up on it. Personally, I don't give a rat's backside about client features, like trophies, friends, or whatever. And I only play single player games. So I'll just go wherever the best or only option is for what I am in the market for. I don't have the time or money to fight causes for something as low on my list of life priorities as video games. I realize not everyone is in the same place that I am, but to me, there are a lot of more important things in the world that I could be standing for, rather than something that is just meant to be amusement for me.

And I also look at it like this. It's better than console exclusivity. If I have an Xbox, and PlayStation comes out with an exclusive that I really want, I have to pay a bunch of money for a PlayStation to be able to play it. In the PC realm, if Epic comes out with an exclusive I want, I just have to download a free client.

Last edited:
Btw Epic is nowhere near enough. A competitive market generally requires at least 4 significant competitors who combined have less than 40% of the market share.
Well, we're getting closer. Just for PC store clients, we have Steam, Epic, Ubisoft Connect, Origin, and Battle.net. Not to mention other ones like GOG. Then we're also getting the subscriptions, like Game Pass and PS Now for PC. Steam is definitely starting to get some competition. Epic is nowhere near enough on its own, but it sure plays its part with all of the others mixed in.

And why don't people get mad about Ubisoft and EA making their games exclusive on their own platforms? It's always aimed at Epic.

Nobody cares about the exclusive games from Ubisoft and EA.
That's completely different. Those are their own games. However, people did care about it when those companies first left Steam. Well, people cared about EA. Not sure anyone gives a flip what Ubisoft does anymore. They are almost completely irrelevant on PC now. It didn't have to be that way, but they are horribly managed.

After making a big deal out of getting a real Xbox controller, I've decided that they are just too small, so I've ordered a Hyperkin Duke. I guess it took being retired and using the controller all day before I started realizing how uncomfortable it was because I've had standard sized controllers forever.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Is there an equivalent of RSI for controllers? Haven't heard of it personally, but I ignore controller news.
I don't think so. When I was playing Super Mega Baseball 3, my thumb got sore because I was pressing the button so hard, so often, but I'm guessing that doesn't count :)

That game is unplayable with mouse and keyboard unless you just enjoy losing. To throw the ball to first, you left click and move your mouse to the right, but it's just as likely to throw the ball to 2nd base or home as it is to throw it to first.

SMB3 and racing/flying games are the only things I use controller for. But, I just figured something out with V Rising and my controller settings. I can actually set the mouse to stay in front of the character. That's actually useful.

_________

My son just showed me his school math club t-shirt. On the back it says, "Come to the dork side. We have Pi"

TRENDING THREADS