The Currently Playing & Random Game Thoughts Thread (31 July to 6 August)

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Steam Survival Sale is now live. There aren't many survival game players here, but don't worry, the sale seems to be rather random with little to no relationship to survival games, so it may be worth it to check your wishlist and see what's on sale. Kingdom Come Deliverance is really cheap right now, which is just one thing I happened to see.
I tried hard to get into Kingdom Come Deliverance a while back, and it just didn't click for me. I was looking for something similar to Skyrim, and it just didn't hit the spot. I think I didn't like the realism. I wanted something with a little more fantasy to it.

I tried hard to get into Kingdom Come Deliverance a while back, and it just didn't click for me. I was looking for something similar to Skyrim, and it just didn't hit the spot. I think I didn't like the realism. I wanted something with a little more fantasy to it.
That's actually the reason I've never bought it, but I considered it again when I saw how cheap it was.

Reactions: WoodenSaucer

I got it for free on Epic a while back and I really liked it, though I only managed to play until a bit after all of the tutorial stuff before life happened and I ended up switching to primarily playing Total War: Warhammer 2.

I always like to play a stealthy thief character in open world RPGs and Kingdom Come: Deliverance works really well for that. The sneak system accounts for the equipment you're wearing, both in terms of how much noise it makes and how much your clothes stand out from the people around you. The pickpocket system is a good minigame, instead of the percentage crap Skyrim does. Also I've read that the more you steal, the more the people and the guards in the area get suspicious, so you can't just rob an entire city without anyone seeming to notice, though I hadn't seen any examples of that yet in my playthrough.

Well, here is my update:

My family and i all contracted COVID-19. IDK whether it was from my work of my wifes work or from where my son went the week prior with my inlaws but. This is the first time ive been able to use my PC in roughly a week now.

So this time last week i wasnt feeling all too well after work, came home and had what appeared to be a bad flu mixed with a huge migraine. Took my test and sure enough i had covid. Then my wife had herself and our son tested where they both came back positive too. My son had it the "least" where he only had a stuffy nose and loss of smell (which he still cant do) but no sickness, no headaches, is able to eat etc. Were not sure how long itll take to come back, but he seems to be rather unscathed in all this.

As for my wife and I, weve been pretty much quarantined to our bedroom because of not wanting to make it worse for him and have just been really sick and wanted to confine anything we had to our room. I have to say the last 5 days for us has been hell. I dont really even remember the last weekend, but we have been pretty much bed-ridden watching netflix and random tv taking all sorts of medicines and drinking lots of water. I feel ive lost a good 5-10 pounds from sweating and losing my appetite and, after all this, had to take my wife to the ER yesterday too.

As of today, im feeling ok, wife is feeling a lot better after the ER visit and our son is still in good spirits but i have to return to work tonight after missing 4 working days (covid protocol says we have to stay away from work for 5 days,2 of which fell over the weekend, but had to take an extra day to help my wife).

So now we are on the recovery side, having to still stay quarantined and pretty much mask up at work and such for the next 5-10 days before we can do something with other people according to our doctors.

And to top it off, tomorrow (8/4), is my birthday. So happy birthday to me i guess lol

Well, here is my update:
Glad to hear you all have come through this relatively well.

@Frag Maniac after playing some more of Forza Motorsport and Grid 2019, I think you'll probably like Motorsport 8 when it comes out this fall, assuming it stays similar to 7 (which you can't buy anymore).

The only concern I have is that you would need to set expectations appropriately before beginning the game because I know you like to play games on the highest difficulty. You won't be winning any solo races on the highest difficulty in any Forza games using the keyboard to drive. In fact, I would be pleasantly surprised if you were able to win the third highest difficulty with keyboard. It's not that keyboard is so hard to use, it's that you have to be absolutely perfect to win these races, and that simply isn't possible with a keyboard. Less than 1 percent of Forza players can win even a single race against Unbeatable drivatars in solo play and many of those players are using a wheel. In multiplayer, the AI is heavily nerfed, so you could always beat them that way.

Just to give you a little more perspective on unbeatable, most of the cars in the game cannot beat them. You have to choose the right car, the right upgrades and set all the tuning correctly (camber, toe, gear ratio, bump stiffness, spring stiffness, aero, differential), and then once you have that taken care of, that's when you hope you can do 3 technically perfect laps while passing half the field.

But the driving feels amazing, tuning is incredibly fun and has tremendous depth. The tracks are all real life tracks beautifully recreated. And the whole setup is basically the same as the Grid games.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you all have come through this relatively well.

@Frag Maniac after playing some more of Forza Motorsport and Grid 2019, I think you'll probably like Motorsport 8 when it comes out this fall, assuming it stays similar to 7 (which you can't buy anymore).

The only concern I have is that you would need to set expectations appropriately before beginning the game because I know you like to play games on the highest difficulty. You won't be winning any solo races on the highest difficulty in any Forza games using the keyboard to drive. In fact, I would be pleasantly surprised if you were able to win the third highest difficulty with keyboard. It's not that keyboard is so hard to use, it's that you have to be absolutely perfect to win these races, and that simply isn't possible with a keyboard. Less than 1 percent of Forza players can win even a single race against Unbeatable drivatars in solo play and many of those players are using a wheel. In multiplayer, the AI is heavily nerfed, so you could always beat them that way.

Just to give you a little more perspective on unbeatable, most of the cars in the game cannot beat them. You have to choose the right car, the right upgrades and set all the tuning correctly (camber, toe, gear ratio, bump stiffness, spring stiffness, aero, differential), and then once you have that taken care of, that's when you hope you can do 3 technically perfect laps while passing half the field.

But the driving feels amazing, tuning is incredibly fun and has tremendous depth. The tracks are all real life tracks beautifully recreated. And the whole setup is basically the same as the Grid games.
Jeez, Zed, you started out making me think it would be at least a bit like GRID 2019, then ended implying it's nigh impossible to beat on keyboard, even at MUCH lower difficulty settings. I'm not sure I want to bite on that one. I mean I don't mind taking a lot of retries, but I'm no masochist. :unsure:

@DXCHASE,

I see a lot of people still not wearing masks in grocery stores where I shop, but when I hear about cases like yours. I'm glad I do. I've always thought it strange as COVID mutates, it gets much weaker, but more contagious. I'm not sure if that's normal with viruses to become more contagious as they weaken.

Glad to hear you're all recovering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Yea, I had a pretty similar experience. It's a cool game and I could see* how some people could really love it, but it just didn't do it for me. For me, the extra realism generally doesn't add anything. Like, okay, the dude doesn't know how to read because most regular folk wouldn't have been able to back them. Cool, I guess? I mean you can literally just make up any number of reasons why he was able to read and 99.9% of people would buy it and not give a ****. I don't want to beat up on the game too much because it certainly isn't bad and it works for a specific type of person. But I really couldn't care less about the realism stuff, personally.

Been playing more Tunic. Thought I wasnt going to get back into as I was totally lost after not playing for a couple of weeks, but persevered and, well I'm pretty happy so far I did.

Its an Isometric Zelda-like with a twist. Art style is cutesy, its kind of got a boxy but smooth aesthetic to the environment, the music is also nice and relaxing. Its not too hard or too easy, simple combat with an I frame dodge roll, shield and sword.

The twist is, pages of the manual are scattered around the maze like map. As you find them you can read them in the menu and more of the games mechanics are revealed, as well as maps for sub areas and tips for enemy and boss weaknesses and item descriptions. Far as I can tell you can do a lot of the stuff from the manual before you read about it, if you happen to experiment, come across it or by accident. Its also largely written in a language you cant read, and it seems there are tablets you can find that translate more parts of pages you already have as you go along.

The map is all interconnected, but not always in an obvious way. The perspective is used to hide secrets and shortcuts to different areas that you circle back around too, as well as old fashioned unlocking bridges, ladders and doors.

I doubt its up too many here's alley, but if anyone has any fondness for this type of game its worth a shot on Gamepass.

Jeez, Zed, you started out making me think it would be at least a bit like GRID 2019, then ended implying it's nigh impossible to beat on keyboard, even at MUCH lower difficulty settings. I'm not sure I want to bite on that one. I mean I don't mind taking a lot of retries, but I'm no masochist. :unsure:
That's what I was worried about. You automatically gravitate to the highest difficulty, but that's not the way to look at Forza. In Forza there are 8 difficulties. The last one is a special challenge, the ultimate achievement that you strive for every now and then. You don't just play on that difficulty. It is far more difficult than the weekly championships with other players.

The final 3 difficulties are Expert, Pro and Unbeatable. You may well be able to beat Expert and Pro with a keyboard. I'd love to watch it. But Unbeatable is just going to be a different story. I'm really trying to hammer it home rather than being reasonable. Could it be possible that you could win a race in Unbeatable? Sure. The AI, though somewhat rare, sometimes gets in its own way, and the AI cars will battle each other and slow each other down. Very, very rarely, they'll even wreck. But my point is that if you are hellbent on playing the highest difficulty and run each race until you win it....well, you are going to be beyond frustrated. You literally aren't meant to be able to win against Unbeatable drivatars. And keep in mind if you go to YouTube and watch someone race, that there are races where the AI is greatly nerfed.

That's what I was worried about. You automatically gravitate to the highest difficulty, but that's not the way to look at Forza. In Forza there are 8 difficulties. The last one is a special challenge, the ultimate achievement that you strive for every now and then. You don't just play on that difficulty. It is far more difficult than the weekly championships with other players.

The final 3 difficulties are Expert, Pro and Unbeatable. You may well be able to beat Expert and Pro with a keyboard. I'd love to watch it. But Unbeatable is just going to be a different story. I'm really trying to hammer it home rather than being reasonable. Could it be possible that you could win a race in Unbeatable? Sure. The AI, though somewhat rare, sometimes gets in its own way, and the AI cars will battle each other and slow each other down. Very, very rarely, they'll even wreck. But my point is that if you are hellbent on playing the highest difficulty and run each race until you win it....well, you are going to be beyond frustrated. You literally aren't meant to be able to win against Unbeatable drivatars. And keep in mind if you go to YouTube and watch someone race, that there are races where the AI is greatly nerfed.
Actually, I played GRID 2019 on Hard, the hardest mode is Very Hard. I know I could probably beat a lot if not most of the races on Very Hard, but there's enough of them that I probably wouldn't be able to that would make it a thing where I didn't feel I beat the game on Very Hard. I know a lot of race games are just like that, where you have to scale your settings according to the challenge as you go, but I've always used a given difficulty mode as a barometer for how well I compare to others whom play, and it's really hard to do that when you're changing settings a lot.

That said, I just watched several videos of Forza MS 7 where people were playing on keyboard. The first one beat the race at Dubai on Pro with very little sliding. He even had traction and stability control, as well as friction assist, turned off. The funny thing is his YouTube name is IsuckAtDriving. I'm not sure I would agree on that.

There was no doubt a lot of AI nerfing in the demo content in order to not steer away all but elite players.

There are also players though whom slide a lot with keyboard, especially in prototype class vehicles. I'm not sure how small cars would handle, but I always worry about twitchy steering on keyboard with short wheelbase cars in the more SIM-like games. This may sound like weird nit picking, but the main thing I don't like so far of what I've seen is the tracks look kind of arcade and cheesy for a SIM-like game.

I get the feeling this game would be a frustrating mix of doable and non doable, and I look for more consistency than that in my race games.

Last edited:
Actually, I played GRID 2019 on Hard, the hardest mode is Very Hard. I know I could probably beat a lot if not most of the races on Very Hard, but there's enough of them that I probably wouldn't be able to that would make it a thing where I didn't feel I beat the game on Very Hard. I know a lot of race games are just like that, where you have to scale your settings according to the challenge as you go, but I've always used a given difficulty mode as a barometer for how well I compare to others whom play, and it's really hard to do that when you're changing settings a lot.

That said, I just watched several videos of Forza MS 7 where people were playing on keyboard. The first one beat the race at Dubai on Pro with very little sliding. He even had traction and stability control, as well as friction assist, turned off. The funny thing is his YouTube name is IsuckAtDriving. I'm not sure I would agree on that.

There was no doubt a lot of AI nerfing in the demo content in order to not steer away all but elite players.

There are also players though whom slide a lot with keyboard, especially in prototype class vehicles. I'm not sure how small cars would handle, but I always worry about twitchy steering on keyboard with short wheelbase cars in the more SIM-like games. This may sound like weird nit picking, but the main thing I don't like so far of what I've seen is the tracks look kind of arcade and cheesy for a SIM-like game.

I get the feeling this game would be a frustrating mix of doable and non doable, and I look for more consistency than that in my race games.
Just curious. If you like racing games, why don't you buy a controller?

Reactions: WoodenSaucer

Zloth

Community Contributor
I liked Kingdom Come: Deliverance quite a bit! The extra realism made for a new, interesting environment plus the graphics were superb! The only real problem I had with it was the main quest. I reaaallly couldn't get into doing all that stuff just to get his precious sword back. When I got stuck in the monastery, I couldn't muster the will to keep playing.

That was a lot of hours and a lot of fun in, though, so it was a good buy!

I liked Kingdom Come: Deliverance quite a bit! The extra realism made for a new, interesting environment plus the graphics were superb! The only real problem I had with it was the main quest. I reaaallly couldn't get into doing all that stuff just to get his precious sword back. When I got stuck in the monastery, I couldn't muster the will to keep playing.

That was a lot of hours and a lot of fun in, though, so it was a good buy!
The sword didn't happen to be named "Stormbringer", did it?

Just curious. If you like racing games, why don't you buy a controller?
Oh I did buy an old Xbox Duke used once, couldn't get used to it. I also did a bit of racing on my friend's Dual Shock 4 on his PS4, still couldn't get used to it.

Gamepads just aren't for me, I really hate aiming and steering with my thumb.

I was feeling all sympathetic until you let that slip…
Oh come on, every couple knows being sick together in a bedroom for that many days is about as far from romantic as it gets. :LOL:

Oh I did buy an old Xbox Duke used once, couldn't get used to it. I also did a bit of racing on my friend's Dual Shock 4 on his PS4, still couldn't get used to it.
Mine were nigh unusable until I adjusted the dead zone. I kept swerving back and forth across the track. But if you don't like them, you don't like them. Personally, i don't use them for anything but driving and flying. I absolutely hate playing a regular game with them.

Gamepads just aren't for me, I really hate aiming and steering with my thumb.
I don't know why, but at this point, I much prefer controller gaming, even for PC gaming. I just don't care for keyboard and mouse anymore. I used to be the opposite, but not anymore.

being sick together in a bedroom for that many days is about as far from romantic as it gets
Me: A nice kiss, honey?
She: Just a sec til I blow my nose.
Me: Later…

i don't use them for anything but driving and flying
How about fighting games?

I would've expected controller to suit when:
Low range of controls needed;
Headshot-like precision not needed;
Fast combo moves needed.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I was feeling all sympathetic until you let that slip…
it's good that you've grown to accept mediocrity. That's a tough step in a lot of people's lives.
The funny thing, most everything is mediocre these days with all the crap that's going on, but I'm still walking around with an attitude like I deserve better than that. I guess I haven't officially gotten the memo yet. :LOL:

it's good that you've grown to accept mediocrity. That's a tough step in a lot of people's lives.
Haha. No lie, on another forum, my sig says, "Pushing the envelope of mediocrity." I need to see if I can set that here. :D

Same, but I know why: I don't have a good setup for mouse and keyboard gaming any more. I miss my old gaming chair.
Same with me. I play from my recliner and use a wireless keyboard with a touch pad for navigating the OS and UI. So K&M doesn't work with my setup. But even if it did, I would still prefer a controller at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS