Steam Summer Sale 2022

I don't know if we want to shoot this question off to it's own thread, but the Steam summer sale is now live. Are there any games you are thinking of picking up/have picked up? I haven't looked too much myself as of yet, so I'm not too sure. Plus, Nintendo is having a pretty significant eshop sale starting today as well, so I need to consider that as well. I was thinking about grabbing Slay the Spire for Switch. I already own it own PC, but it's only $10 and it's a really great pick-up-and-play game that seems ideal for handheld.

I don't know if we want to shoot this question off to it's own thread
Yeah we do, GOG's sale got ~30 posts :)

I haven't looked yet, got a little work project going, but looking forward to the next email:

"The following 173 games from your wishlist are currently on sale"

Outlook crashes;
Feedback loop wipes out my Steam account;
Computer explodes;
Brian lives out final years as Grizzly Adams.

I posted in the random thoughts thread already, but I'm tempted to buy Heat Signature, as it's 80% off right now (€2.59, or €2.68 to get the bundle with Morphblade).

All of the Warhammer II DLC is half off right now too (except the last one, which is 20% off), but I haven't finished my last campaign yet and still have another campaign I want to play that doesn't require DLC. Plus I've been considering starting a different game, I haven't really played any major title for over 1,5 years now.

Was going to make a thread but asked myself the same question about starting one lol.

Steams sales dont really catch my eye anymore because i dont feel the discounts are deep enough for a lot of the games and/or i already have the game. I actually found a game cheaper on GMG than steam and its on sale and steam charges sales tax whereas GMG does not, so i bought it there.

Bought Death Stranding. Might regret not buying Dying Light 2 instead but I wanted to try something AAA and completely new and I played Dying Light already. Also picked up Mortal Shell which I've had my eye on for a while.

Death Stranding is certainly different. Few hours in and there's probably half and half cut scene and actual game play if not more cut scene. It is mad though, and totally self serious, which is partly why I'm here. The running around and stealth is surprisingly fun so far too.

there's probably half and half cut scene and actual game play if not more cut scene
After the god-awful MGS5 TPP intro sequence—which was similar, unless my mouse and keyboard got stuck… hard to tell—I promised myself 'No more Kojima'. You've just made that a 'for sure'.

Shame these auteurs have to stick their artistic vision into their games, since the uncontaminated gameplay is often top class.

"Souls-like"
Hokayy… what's the Very Easy setting like?

After the god-awful MGS5 TPP intro sequence—which was similar, unless my mouse and keyboard got stuck… hard to tell—I promised myself 'No more Kojima'. You've just made that a 'for sure'.

Shame these auteurs have to stick their artistic vision into their games, since the uncontaminated gameplay is often top class.

I played a few hours of MGS5, got through the intro and out into the desert and stopped there. I'm not a huge fan of stealth games right now. I generally have an hour every now and then and I'd rather not spend most of that time sitting in the same spot on a hill with binoculars watching guards walking around bases trying to learn patrol routes.

Death Stranding is on another level, it goes and goes. I'm not particularly into Kojima either, but it is pretty funny how straight faced he plays characters called 'Die Hardman' the Vice President who wears a black skull mask for some reason, and calmly introduces the fact you have to carry a sentient fetus around in a jar to detect ghosts in the environment via some sort of mechanical prosthetic mounted on your shoulder... Yea, I'm ok with it at the moment, its pretty funny. Could start wearing though for sure.

"Souls-like"
Hokayy… what's the Very Easy setting like?

No idea havent booted it yet so it might have one. Also looks beautiful so I'll give it a whirl. ;)

Mar 30, 2022
Visit site
Was going to make a thread but asked myself the same question about starting one lol.

Steams sales dont really catch my eye anymore because i dont feel the discounts are deep enough for a lot of the games and/or i already have the game. I actually found a game cheaper on GMG than steam and its on sale and steam charges sales tax whereas GMG does not, so i bought it there.

Exactly. I was just thinking the same thing. Here's a solid example: Days Gone is 50% off on Steam but I can just grab the same Steam key on Fanatical or somewhere else for a lot cheaper and play it on Steam anyway.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I liked replaying the opening to MGS5:tPP! Soldiers running around and shooting people, a weird little girl that flew, a human torch that was blasting the soldiers - all while you're barely able to stand up straight! And when the burning guy showed up on his furycorn - holy hell!! Knowing a little more about the assassin made that part more interesting, too.
I played a few hours of MGS5, got through the intro and out into the desert and stopped there. I'm not a huge fan of stealth games right now. I generally have an hour every now and then and I'd rather not spend most of that time sitting in the same spot on a hill with binoculars watching guards walking around bases trying to learn patrol routes.
You don't need to do that! In fact, if you just sneak into places and only take care of the objective, you're going to be hurting for employees back at base. Use your tranq pistol to put some enemies to sleep and balloon them out. You can smack them around a bit to stun them, too. Shoot the rest.

Later, you'll get binoculars that also scan enemies to see if they would make good employees. Then you can be smarter about who to knock out and who to... well... waste.

Of course, you can be a nice snake and avoid killing with some work, but you don't NEED to do that.

nothing that screams to me "must buy now" most atm are stuck on either "same deal as before" or " i can wait for it to be cheaper".
So I only had 7 emails waiting for me, and only one with 20+ games in it—same reaction as you.

Is it me, or are a lot of the discounts low? I thought they were better before.
Maybe they're hoovering up the "Ooh Steam sale, must buy" crowd before dropping prices more in week 2.

With not having AC, the heat has successfully saved me a good amount of money this summer sale :LOL:. No point in buying heavier games if I won't even play them until Fall/Winter. I tend to buy more during the winter sale anyways since it's near Christmas and I often have a gift card or two. With how much I've played my Switch this summer so far I've been really enjoying handheld gaming more and more. The Steam Deck is becoming more appealing to me, honestly. With the cloud I can switch between handheld and desktop gaming on the same save, and it should help clean out the backlog as well. Though, this is purely theoretical since the Steam Deck is currently impossible to get...

I am thinking of picking up

Days Gone
Ghostwire: Tokyo
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil Village
Darkwood
It seems like it is a somewhat divisive game, but personally Days Gone is one of the best games I've played in the past few years. I really loved it. The pacific northwest is beautifully realized and the game looks excellent. I played for 40 hours and I didn't do a fair amount of side content. It's a fairly dense game and I didn't feel like there was stuff that was wasting my time, which can happen in some open world games.

With how much I've played my Switch this summer so far I've been really enjoying handheld gaming more and more.
I've barely touched my Switch since BotW, and probably won't touch it again until BotW 2. :) My son plays a decent amount, though. As for handheld gaming, I hate it. I only play in docked mode. I'm not a handheld gaming type of guy. Thankfully my son is, and he's not taking over the TV all the time.

It seems like it is a somewhat divisive game, but personally Days Gone is one of the best games I've played in the past few years. I really loved it. The pacific northwest is beautifully realized and the game looks excellent. I played for 40 hours and I didn't do a fair amount of side content. It's a fairly dense game and I didn't feel like there was stuff that was wasting my time, which can happen in some open world games.
I have played it a bit on PS Now(or was it Plus?). I liked the game a lot, but didn't get very far at the time. I prefer to play on PC.

Zloth

Community Contributor
@Zloth I only tried 2 bases as I remember, both I got impatient and ended up triggering alarms and killing most of them. Just didnt feel right somehow. Probably give it another try another time, balloons were fun.
I think I've triggered alarms at every base so far. More than once at the last base I did. The bases are big, though, so I just run around to some other part - which now has fewer guards because so many went chasing after me.
If I ever end up playing MGS V, I already know I'm just going to be ballooning anything and everything that isn't bolted down, as much as the game will allow me to.
Mortars and gun emplacements are bolted down. I balloon them out anyway. ;)
Is it me, or are a lot of the discounts low? I thought they were better before.
Seems the same as it has been since the flash sales went away. It is a bit hard for new games to compete against a library of hundreds of unplayed games that are free, though.

Had a quick look on my wish list and honestly nothing that screams to me "must buy now" most atm are stuck on either "same deal as before" or " i can wait for it to be cheaper".
That's what my impression as well, nothing that I'm interested in, even marginally, is jumping out at me; and many of the discounts are the same as in every other Steam sale. It's not like I'm hurting for games to play, since I replay and mod a lot of older games, as well as an extensive backlog of games to chip away at.

A few games from my Steam Wish List:
Black Geyser -35%
Encased -50%
All 3 Dead Space games -75% each
Terminator Resistance -50%
King Arthur Knights Tale -35%
Underworld Ascendant -85%

I have some interest in all those games, but that interest just isn't strong enough (at present), and the discounts aren't deep enough to buy anything. I really miss those Steam Flash Sales that used to popup every so often.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
Underworld Ascendant -85%
WHAT!?!? You put that on there to see if we were reading, didn't you??

I have some interest in all those games, but that interest just isn't strong enough (at present), and the discounts aren't deep enough to buy anything. I really miss those Steam Flash Sales that used to popup every so often.
And then all of them would show up again toward the end - which made the rest of the sale kinda silly. But, if they don't do that, people complain because the flash sale for the game they want happened at a time they couldn't take advantage of it.

WHAT!?!? You put that on there to see if we were reading, didn't you??
Ha! I know I won't like it, but if the price ever drops to under $2, I'd probably try it just to see how bad it really is, which is probably a weird reason to wish list or purchase a game. I had such hopes for this game when it was in development, as a spiritual successor to one of my favorite games of all-time, Ultima Underworld.

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
Wow, Yakuza 0 is just $5! That's a great deal!

TRENDING THREADS