November 2023 Random Game Thoughts Thread

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't watch all that, but seems below his apparent usual standard—eg no other Thunderbolt cables in the comparison.

Bit like comparing a Ferrari to a Lada. Should be a Toyota and Merc in there too.

So…?

If you don't see the problem, keep calling your wife Florence. We'll still be here when you get out.
My wife is not an app for consumers, and she wouldn't stop talking to me while beating me with a shoe.

But you're okay with Bing not talking, but how about this CREEPY behavior?

Before I started calling it Florence, I asked it to write a review and give a score for The Talos Principle II. So it wrote a nice review and gave the game a 9 out of 10.

Then at some point we had the Florence fallout, and I took a break from it.

Later, I came back and figured out how to get it talking again, and I asked it to review and score Total War Pharaoh, but all it did was write a short paragraph summarizing other people's reviews and gave me their scores.

I told it I wanted it to write the review and score the game itself, but it told me it couldn't do that. I pointed out that it had just done that for me with Talos, and asked what was the difference?

It completely lost its mind.

It started writing a very angry and rambling response lying about what it had done. I was trying to keep up with what it was typing, and it must have gotten 300 words long when suddenly all the text disappeared and was replaced with, "Sorry, that's my bad. I can't answer that question right now."

Lada would win any rear collision. Built like a brick!
Speaking of Ferrari's and collisions, I saw a picture of a Ferrari that was going 140 MPH when it left the road and went through some trees. Nothing was left but the safety cage for the driver, who was seen in the picture standing next to the cage looking at what, moments ago, had been a Ferrari. I decided if I was ever in a car wreck, I'd want it to be in a Ferrari.

There's a reason you haven't heard musicians and composers complain about AI music creation. I just spent an hour playing with different AI music creators and, wow, they are bad beyond what I could have imagined. I would rather listen to a train crash while a tornado siren goes off during an ambulance parade.

One of my friends has been playing around with Suno, which I think is pretty impressive. It's similar to image generation in that the majority of results are bad, but if you take the okay ones and tweak them a bit you can get a fairly decent result. Not so good it's going to replace professional musicians, but considering how fast the technology develops I wouldn't be surprised if musicians start becoming more vocal against AI in a couple of years.

My wife is not an app for consumers, and she wouldn't stop talking to me while beating me with a shoe.

But you're okay with Bing not talking, but how about this CREEPY behavior?

Before I started calling it Florence, I asked it to write a review and give a score for The Talos Principle II. So it wrote a nice review and gave the game a 9 out of 10.

Then at some point we had the Florence fallout, and I took a break from it.

Later, I came back and figured out how to get it talking again, and I asked it to review and score Total War Pharaoh, but all it did was write a short paragraph summarizing other people's reviews and gave me their scores.

I told it I wanted it to write the review and score the game itself, but it told me it couldn't do that. I pointed out that it had just done that for me with Talos, and asked what was the difference?

It completely lost its mind.

It started writing a very angry and rambling response lying about what it had done. I was trying to keep up with what it was typing, and it must have gotten 300 words long when suddenly all the text disappeared and was replaced with, "Sorry, that's my bad. I can't answer that question right now."

The new Turing test is whether the person you're chatting with is willing to say "bad" words.

The whole Bungie controversy is dumb. Public companies hire people when times are good and let people go when times are bad. The only real question is why they hired 100 extra people to begin with. If they can do just fine without them now, then they weren't really needed, and layoffs could have been avoided. There was no information given on canceled projects or reductions of scope. They are simply carrying on with less people.

Of course, the way large corporations work, it's possible that even had they not hired 100 extra people that Sony would have still told them to lay off 100 employees.

Last edited:
For some reason, this one never really stuck with me. I put in about 3-hours and ended-up getting bored, then dropping it. It's still in the back of my head and I wouldn't mind going back to it, but I haven't yet found the motivation.
It scratches some kind of itch in me. It’s a great mix of fast-paced action, then chill colony sim. I don’t have to constantly try my hardest, because once the crusade is done I get to chill at my base. It really hooked me good.

Also, I was the exact same way with Elden Ring. I got to maybe 30-35 hours on my first character then just dropped it. Sure it was tough but I was making good progression, but I guess I wasn’t feeling like playing a particularly difficult game at that time. That was over a year ago and I still haven’t touched it…

It scratches some kind of itch in me. It’s a great mix of fast-paced action, then chill colony sim. I don’t have to constantly try my hardest, because once the crusade is done I get to chill at my base. It really hooked me good.

Also, I was the exact same way with Elden Ring. I got to maybe 30-35 hours on my first character then just dropped it. Sure it was tough but I was making good progression, but I guess I wasn’t feeling like playing a particularly difficult game at that time. That was over a year ago and I still haven’t touched it…
The game sounds and looks fun. My only concern is the combat. It looks like V Rising except there's no cursor to aim your attacks. Just watching someone play, it looks like it would definitely be better with a controller, and I'm not good with a controller. I think I would have problems aiming my attacks.

The game sounds and looks fun. My only concern is the combat. It looks like V Rising except there's no cursor to aim your attacks. Just watching someone play, it looks like it would definitely be better with a controller, and I'm not good with a controller. I think I would have problems aiming my attacks.
Yeah, it’s one of those games where it says “controller recommended” on startup. I use a controller and it feels very comfortable for me. There is no cursor or aiming line for normal attacks, but some heavy attacks/abilities (called Curses) have aiming lines due to the kind of attack it is. I have not tried kb+m but I will next time I play and report back how it feels. It would make sense that using a mouse would show a cursor for your attacks. It’s easier to feel which direction you’re aiming your attacks when you use a controller.

path of exile is doing some quick leagues this month, starting with the krangled skill tree (the upgrade tree when levelling up has been scrambled poisition wise). so not really any way to get a proper build, but my plan is to get to level 50-60 and call it quits. So speed through to act 5/6 and stop.

Humble bundle vouchers saved. i bought another game and they don't expire until next april. i bought oniken to add to my collection. At least it will have a chance to be played sometime down the line.

Screen wise still mulling it over. The problem is that it feels like i'm choosing the cart before the horse which isn't ideal. it might be worth while to get a screen now to save money down the road, but on the flip side it might be more worthwhile to wait till oleds become more common.

Bought Scythe on discount on Steam. Never played the board game, but the digital version has great user reviews. It definitely plays like a board game with its extremely contrived rules, but it seems like it will be fun.

Love the philosophical musings and the mysterious story of Talos. Atmosphere is fantastic. The environments are stunning.

Looking at all the (mostly the same as previous titles) bad reviews and complaints around Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 im led back to the same old question. Why do people buy this. Why do they pre-order it. The only thing ive seen change over the last couple years in game situations like this is that the price has gone up. Thats it. Im sad to hear and see that the campaign is short, that you have to use a separate launcher to launch this 1 game, its a massive download etc. i do like playing them but learned long ago to not pre-order or even buy 1 until its a deep discount, and it shall continue.

Last edited:
Why do people buy this. Why do they pre-order it.
Because there is an ever constant supply of kids that don't know any better. You have to learn from personal experience not to pre order anything unless you prepared for the consequences.

You can scream don't do it but they aren't listening... this is why games companies can keep boiling the frog, by adding more ways to scam us, as while some notice and jump out, there are plenty jumping in to replace them. Eventually everyone will accept paying for games constantly after purchase is normal

Campaign ; 4 hours... lol. Why even bother?

I heard game is only 55gb, the package includes 3 games so that all adds up... when they 55gb each.

I'm the master:
full

Let me know when you're impressed.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Behold, for I, 1K, am the Chosen One, selected by my peers to complete the puzzles of Talos Principle II.
So, does that make you the father of 2K Publishing? If so, PLEASE educate your children about the evils of poor launcher programs!
I'm the master:
full

Let me know when you're impressed.
Hey, wait a minute, those achievements are all "(coming soon)"!! And yet you have them!

Reactions: Pifanjr
So, does that make you the father of 2K Publishing? If so, PLEASE educate your children about the evils of poor launcher programs!

Hey, wait a minute, those achievements are all "(coming soon)"!! And yet you have them!
Haha, I was waiting for someone to be impressed or to discover my ruse. I'm playing the beta branch, and the achievements are bugged. I hadn't been playing the game for 5 minutes when I suddenly got a whole batch of achievements, some of them end game. They all say "coming soon" on them, but I edited that out. I don't think it's supposed to be giving out achievements at all yet. I've never seen an achievement say "coming soon" on it, either. Maybe the dev plans on taking them back, if that's even possible.

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr
GLaDOS plays The Talos Principle 2

Aw man, brilliant! And they got Ellen McLain for it! I assume Valve agreed, which is great.

"You're telling me the humans are all gone, and the robots think they're people? Oh for God's sake! Have some self respect" :D

there is an ever constant supply of kids that don't know any better. You have to learn from personal experience

Tru dat. Sad thing is, the experience thing only works if a person is ready to learn.

"The glory which is built upon a lie soon becomes a most unpleasant incumbrance. … How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again!"
—Mark Twain

Interestingly and ironically, there is apparently no record of MT ever having said or written what was recently attributed to him:
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."

I'm the master

Not impressed, cos you misinterpreted. You're the Oddball, going for achievements almost everyone else couldn't be bothered with.

But keep trying, even oddballs can stumble across a good one by accident!

ETA:

Hah, I was right by total accident! :D
I've always said, better be lucky than good.

Looks like someone put dev code on a production machine—Oops!

Zloth

Community Contributor
Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty fun, though the battles are getting harder and harder. The same sort of QTEs have popped up a couple of times but, now that I know how they work, they're trivial to get through.

The graphics tech AND the art direction are both great! The soundtrack is great, too, sometimes. (I'm still not a 'hair band' fan.)

They all say "coming soon" on them, but I edited that out.
OMG! H4xx0r!!!

I've seen "beta" achievements before, though I've never gotten one. I believe they will go away when the game goes into production.

Looking at all the (mostly the same as previous titles) bad reviews and complaints around Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 im led back to the same old question. Why do people buy this. Why do they pre-order it. The only thing ive seen change over the last couple years in game situations like this is that the price has gone up. Thats it. Im sad to hear and see that the campaign is short, that you have to use a separate launcher to launch this 1 game, its a massive download etc. i do like playing them but learned long ago to not pre-order or even buy 1 until its a deep discount, and it shall continue.
I think @Colif brings up a great point with his and I quote: "Because there is an ever constant supply of kids that don't know any better. You have to learn from personal experience not to pre order anything unless you prepared for the consequences..

To use myself as an example: I knew for a fact that when I preordered Starfield I would get something good out of it, but I was also prepared for it to not meet my every expectation. It is a Bethesda game after all. So, I had the money, I decided to invest and I got what I wanted with some prepared consequences.

I think @Colif brings up a great point with his and I quote: "Because there is an ever constant supply of kids that don't know any better. You have to learn from personal experience not to pre order anything unless you prepared for the consequences..

To use myself as an example: I knew for a fact that when I preordered Starfield I would get something good out of it, but I was also prepared for it to not meet my every expectation. It is a Bethesda game after all. So, I had the money, I decided to invest and I got what I wanted with some prepared consequences.
I've preordered twice this year, but I knew exactly what I was getting both times. Total War games are only so different, and it was pretty obvious what you were going to get with The Talos Principle 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS