my wife is one of us now....thanks, Bioshock

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
The wife will be asking for PC components for holidays from now on LMAO. After 15 years of watching her game on XBOX she, skipped the series X, finally took the plunge and finally agreed to me building her own gaming rig and she is absolutley falling in love with the PC gaming experience She has always used my PC to play Sims, but everything else was always console and controller. I'm now watching her learn and grow to love PC gaming, she's stopped using a controller and is using KBM now and having her first ever playthrough of Bioshock....She's BEAMING about it - I'm kinda jealous ...first time playing bioshock, first time experiencing an FPS game on KBM at 1440p\120hz.

I mean how great of a game is BIOSHOCK for her to have this experience on?! It is one of the essential FPS games and SO amazing your first time through.

Now every time she needs something new, I can buy myself an upgrade and give her my gear...the plan is complete! An endless cycle of upgrades? Wait....what have I done?

The wife will be asking for PC components for holidays from now on LMAO. After 15 years of watching her game on XBOX she, skipped the series X, finally took the plunge and finally agreed to me building her own gaming rig and she is absolutley falling in love with the PC gaming experience She has always used my PC to play Sims, but everything else was always console and controller. I'm now watching her learn and grow to love PC gaming, she's stopped using a controller and is using KBM now and having her first ever playthrough of Bioshock....She's BEAMING about it - I'm kinda jealous ...first time playing bioshock, first time experiencing an FPS game on KBM at 1440p\120hz.

I mean how great of a game is BIOSHOCK for her to have this experience on?! It is one of the essential FPS games and SO amazing your first time through.

Now every time she needs something new, I can buy myself an upgrade and give her my gear...the plan is complete! An endless cycle of upgrades? Wait....what have I done?
My wife only games with her phone. She and her phone are inseparable. I get about 10 seconds to talk with her while she's finding a new movie to watch. She even eats with one hand and holds the phone with the other.

Remember she can still use her controller if it’s more comfortable for her while still experiencing the glory of 1440p 120hz ;) I have a few friends who were console players, made the switch to PC, but use a controller for a lot of games. It’s the perfect balance of using a control method you’ve built muscle memory for over so long, and reaping the benefits of better graphics and performance.

Bioshock is absolutely one of the best FPSs and it’s one game I wish I could experience for the first time over again. And yes, the endless cycle of upgrades is surely going to make you both happy!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Having been married for 38 years, and counting, I think you have the upgrade gear flow reversed. She will get the new gadget and you'll get the hand-me-down. Kind of like a new car purchase.

Lesson: Buy good stuff. Eventually it will be yours.

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
Remember she can still use her controller if it’s more comfortable for her while still experiencing the glory of 1440p 120hz ;) I have a few friends who were console players, made the switch to PC, but use a controller for a lot of games. It’s the perfect balance of using a control method you’ve built muscle memory for over so long, and reaping the benefits of better graphics and performance.

Bioshock is absolutely one of the best FPSs and it’s one game I wish I could experience for the first time over again. And yes, the endless cycle of upgrades is surely going to make you both happy!
For the first 2 weeks or so she used her controller still, then I came in one day and she was playing Portal RTX on the KBM. She was like "I can aim so much better, and faster! This is awesome!" I haven't seen her pull out her controller since then. She just jumped in on her own .... although I may have coaxed her with that nice new KBM combo (Viper Ultimate + Black Widow v3 Pro)

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
And you want it to last, because if one of the PCs suddenly breaks, your only option is to watch your wife play while you buy/save up for a replacement (speaking from experience...)
I have a firm philosophy when it comes to buying hardware...GO OVERKILL, ALWAYS. You'll get longer lifespan out of a high-end build than a middle of the road one...my X99 platform lasted me 6 years and has been handed down to my wife now. I just built a 13700k based system recently and there are a few things I would like to do different. So when that X99 finally kicks it - she'll get this system and I'll build from scratch.

firm philosophy when it comes to buying hardware...GO OVERKILL, ALWAYS. You'll get longer lifespan

Disagree, my philosophy has always been buy the 'sweet spot'—of course, assuming budget is an issue.

My 2017 PC is just now appearing just outside the minimum requirements for current big games I may want to play, eg the new Avatar.

I don't think longer lifespan is a big advantage when stuff goes out-of-date so quickly in this industry, or you find it's not quite what you wanted. Imo buy cheap now, buy cheap again in 5 years is better than buy overkill now to last 10 years.

That said, there are some parts I won't 'cheap out' on—PSU, motherboard, case and cooling mainly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts