June 2023 Random Game Thoughts Thread

Page 6 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Huh, I just tried a couple of games—Elden Ring and Armored Core Vi Fires Of Rubicon—and the videos wouldn't play, just a blank black view. So there's some problem they're working on.

Totally disagree :D
You know I have lots of games, and have been messing with launchers for years, and I wouldn't dream of using any other method than desktop icons to launch them—one click, which then fires up whichever launcher is required and launches the game.

That's so much faster than recalling which launcher has a particular game—or waiting for Galaxy's slow start… eh, shouldn't a launcher, you know, launch quickly?—firing that up, and then hunting for the game to click on.

It's also so much easier to organize via icons if you use Stardock's Fences—you can have hundreds on desktop without much screen used, all as organized as you want, instantly reorganizable via drag n drop. I keep an 'In Play' fence visible for instant access to the games currently of interest, and keep all the other fences 'rolled up' like the 'Gaming' one below—just mouseover to see what's in it.

YiOba6O.png

jbYfGPs.png

I understand that as a true RPGer you love the pain of using launchers, but if you ever get a hanker to forsake the dark sou side, icons ftw!
This would, I'm almost certain, take a lot more time for me given that almost all my games are on Steam, and I don't have to do anything but assign a category to a game to get them exactly how I want them. And as much turnover as I have, the desktop would be a big job.

Outlast Trials is great for hearing and seeing new things you never thought you would hear or see.

I'm at an abandoned amusement park. I'm inside an indoor ride standing in ankle deep water next to the track the ride's cars used to move on. As usual, I'm confused. I had just found and turned the last valve, but what I was expecting to happen didn't happen. Just then I see Guido fly around a corner with a murderous psycho in hot pursuit. They are headed right toward me. As they run past me (we're playing in different rooms and using the game's chat), the psycho single-mindedly ignoring me as they always do, I ask,

Me: Hey, what am I supposed to be doing?

Guido turns and jukes the psycho and runs back towards me.

Guido: You should be pushing the children into the industrial meat grinder.

Me: I thought you already did that.

Guido: I was interrupted.

Me: On it!

I'm almost certain, take a lot more time for me given that almost all my games are on Steam
Different strokes :)
With only one launcher, I can imagine you could get it to work, as you clearly have. For me, even those 9 games in my screenie above, they've got 4 different locations/launch mechanisms.

as much turnover as I have, the desktop would be a big job
All my new installs auto go into a 'New' fence. If it's a demo, I'll play it from there and uninstall when done. If it belongs in some other category, I drag it to the relevant fence. Done, one touch.

Anyway, I know everyone [?] else here uses launchers, so just pointing out an alternative which works, especially for people with multiple game sources.

There's also obviously more functions which a launcher provides outside of starting a game, so for people who use those regularly, then launchers may indeed be more efficient overall.

Anyway, I know everyone [?] else here uses launchers

I use Steam to launch Steam games and use desktop shortcuts to launch any other games. The problem is that my wife and kid both use their own Steam account pretty regularly, so most of the time I need to switch accounts before I can play. My wife doesn't play games from other launchers I use and my kid doesn't have her own account for them yet, so for those I can just use the desktop shortcuts.

Actually typing this out made me wonder if it's possible to specify the user to login when clicking a steam shortcut and it does seem like it is. I'll have to try that out.

I did!! In fact, I think it's still down in the basement...
I think mine is still at my Dads house, should be still working too.

Huh, I just tried a couple of games—Elden Ring and Armored Core Vi Fires Of Rubicon—and the videos wouldn't play, just a blank black view. So there's some problem they're working on.

Totally disagree :D
You know I have lots of games, and have been messing with launchers for years, and I wouldn't dream of using any other method than desktop icons to launch them—one click, which then fires up whichever launcher is required and launches the game.

That's so much faster than recalling which launcher has a particular game—or waiting for Galaxy's slow start… eh, shouldn't a launcher, you know, launch quickly?—firing that up, and then hunting for the game to click on.

It's also so much easier to organize via icons if you use Stardock's Fences—you can have hundreds on desktop without much screen used, all as organized as you want, instantly reorganizable via drag n drop. I keep an 'In Play' fence visible for instant access to the games currently of interest, and keep all the other fences 'rolled up' like the 'Gaming' one below—just mouseover to see what's in it.

YiOba6O.png

jbYfGPs.png

I understand that as a true RPGer you love the pain of using launchers, but if you ever get a hanker to forsake the dark sou side, icons ftw!
As you say different strokes :) I have GOG and Steam both boot on startup so I've never noticed any delay more than a couple of seconds. I also like all the stats and patch info etc you get through Steam.

I use Steam to launch Steam games and use desktop shortcuts to launch any other games.
Same with me, as well as using GOG to launch my games there. My exceptions are when I am playing a modded game. With Bethesda games I'll launch from a script extender shortcut as it prevents Steam from updating the game with a patch (and potentially breaking some mods). Mass Effect games I usually launch from the mod manager ME3Tweaks.

As you say different strokes :) I have GOG and Steam both boot on startup so I've never noticed any delay more than a couple of seconds. I also like all the stats and patch info etc you get through Steam.
Steam, GOG, my mod managers, and some modding utilities all load at startup (as well as have icons on the desktop). Not to mention my AV program that also launches at startup. I see no delay in my boot time and I'm at a functional desktop in seconds. I've never actually timed it, but it seems pretty fast to me. And Steam has so many features, outside of the launcher & store, that I check on a daily basis.

I should point out that we've been in that day and age since the early/mid-90's. Before that was much the same, except you couldn't get patches. ;)
I know what you mean, but I was referring specifically to the trend in the past few years where a game is released unfinished, then the developers post an apology image on their social media accounts and promise to fix it. I can see that exact same thing happening to Starfield lol. They’re always the same, with the developers logo at the bottom of the apology image, promising to fix it over time.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I know what you mean, but I was referring specifically to the trend in the past few years where a game is released unfinished, then the developers post an apology image on their social media accounts and promise to fix it.
  • Arkham Knight in 2015 - actually stopped selling the game for a few months because it was so bad.
  • Anarchy Oline in 2001 - the game shut down soon after launch, then came back weeks later. (I thought I had wasted my cash for sure, but they did eventually make it playable.)
  • Sword of the Stars 2 in 2011 - it was almost a year before you actually had a chance at completing a game rather than having it bug out. (Then Paradox pulled the plug just as the game got stable.)
  • Diak*tana in 2000 - It isn't polite to spell the whole name out
  • X: Rebirth in 2013 - another one that was in absolutely horrible shape for several months after release
And that's off the top of my head (with some extra thanks to a PC Gamer magazine article that I just read a couple of days ago covering infamous games). I'm sure others could add plenty more. I really don't see any sort of trend. This is how it has always been.

@Pifanjr Have you ever seen Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Adventure? I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it would be a perfect "tycoon" game for your daughter. You just drag and drop exhibits to create your zoo, and you get to interact with the animals. It's about 5 years old. so it should be really cheap next week during the summer sale.

Thanks for the tip, it does look good for young kids. It seems to be a lot less complex than Zoo Tycoon, which I remember as being too hard when I was a kid.

Thanks for the tip, it does look good for young kids. It seems to be a lot less complex than Zoo Tycoon, which I remember as being too hard when I was a kid.

Looks like you get to drive a little zoo car too. That might be fun for her.

On the other hand, my next Outlast Trials mission is called Cleanse the Orphans. Can't wait to see what that's about. I wonder how much trauma something like this could cause a small child? Kids are remarkably resilient, though.

• Arkham Knight in 2015 - actually stopped selling the game for a few months because it was so bad.
  • Anarchy Oline in 2001 - the game shut down soon after launch, then came back weeks later. (I thought I had wasted my cash for sure, but they did eventually make it playable.)
  • Sword of the Stars 2 in 2011 - it was almost a year before you actually had a chance at completing a game rather than having it bug out. (Then Paradox pulled the plug just as the game got stable.)
  • Diak*tana in 2000 - It isn't polite to spell the whole name out
  • X: Rebirth in 2013 - another one that was in absolutely horrible shape for several months after release
And that's off the top of my head (with some extra thanks to a PC Gamer magazine article that I just read a couple of days ago covering infamous games). I'm sure others could add plenty more. I really don't see any sort of trend. This is how it has always been.
Google “game developer apology letter” and you’ll see what I mean. The trend was really started off by the infamous Cyberpunk 2077 yellow tinged apology letter, with the latest addition to this trend being the Gollum apology letter. What I’m saying is the skeptical side of me can see Starfield doing this exact same thing…

Ah the non apology from game devs. "we hear you loud and clear, but we're not changing anything" or point the blame at the players not understanding the vision/direction the AAA were pushing. The "its only optional MTX" and yet makes the games grinder/longer more boring. EA Battlefront 2 springs to mind immediately including, assassins creed exp/resource boosters, shadow of war, oh, and arkham origins: We're too busy making DLC to fix a bug in the game...

In other news i'm playing Anno 1404 still and on the penultimate mission, i'll probably play a bit more before i do a write up. Coincidentally i'm also playing Metal Gear Solid on my Raspberry pi, played through some of the VR training and got a bit bored of it so i decided to dive into the main story. Not going to stress it, playing on normal because i'm an impatient person...

Zloth

Community Contributor
Google “game developer apology letter” and you’ll see what I mean. The trend was really started off by the infamous Cyberpunk 2077 yellow tinged apology letter...
Oooooh, you mean the letters specifically, not publishers/developers kicking out broken games for one reason or another.

Yeah, I think that is new. I'm a bit surprised at it, too: it sounds like an open invitation for lawsuits.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I say we pick an RPG, and @Brian Boru has to stream it on Twitch.
Can it be an emulated game? Xenosaga has a 30 minute cutscene. About halfway through, it pops up a 'do you want to save now?' screen. I want to see how long it takes Brian to wake up and click it.

I finally got through Old World's tutorials last night. I started a brand new game with a large (but not huge) map and half the recommended NPC empires. I found Egypt on turn 3 just a dozen or so spaces away. (eye roll)

Last edited:
So, aside from Diablo IV, I finally made my way back to Yakuza 0 after starting it awhile back and I'm really impressed. The story telling is excellent and has surpassed my expectations, which is what sticks* out to me the most. That said, I'm almost as surprised at how well-rounded the game is. It is really good in almost all areas. The side stories are fun and quirky, but skippable if I don't want to do them. The minigames are shockingly good and legitimately fun. I've spent a good 10% (or more) of my entire play time just bowling because it's actually really fun. On top of that, the art design is on point - really immersive game - and the soundtrack is very strong as well. With how well rounded Yakuza 0 is, it's quickly moving up my RPG rankings at about 8 hours in; really having a great time with it.

I've got 4 people wanting to play Atlas, so I was just going to rent a server instead of making do with one of my pc's. However, Atlas is so outrageously demanding on servers that no companies will run the servers using the official map, so now I have to tried to build a consensus on what map we want to play on, and I'm losing my enthusiasm as I look at the alternatives.

Before going the rental route, I set up a server on my desktop, but it can't handle people being in different grid locations. *Sigh*

We want a 2v2 PvP set up without randoms interfering. The best scenario for that that I've seen is on the official map, but apparently that isn't possible without joining an official server.

Epic giving away a free game for free this week.

I've met the indie developer version of the guy who built the doomed Titanic sub. I told him his controls, especially his camera controls, were terrible, and he told me that he was innovating and that if I wanted a game that was just the same as all the other games, that I should go play something else. I told him is game actually was exactly like all the other games except with terrible controls.

Just announced my retirement from co-op Outlast Trials after causing my kids to fail right as they were finishing our first level on the highest difficulty. I just can't keep up. Age and the aforementioned cognitive problems are too much for me to overcome. It's possible, very slightly possible, that if I practiced on my own that I might get a little better, but I think I would just get frustrated trying to do the levels by myself. It's just too fast-paced for this old man.

Still playing anno 1404 i'm on the final mission and its the worst case scenario: A timed mission! even the best of times i take my time when it comes to missions. The current problem? the final stage of the timed mission glass! it doesn't seem to be progressing at all, i'm not sure whether to ship all the materials to headquarters and build the glass there or build the glass and ship it. The problem? i have to sail across the other side of the world to get the stuff... I have been building things ahead of time, but it seems like its not enough... the progress bar doesn't seem to be moving even though there is like 50 glass in stock. Why it keeps stopping when there is stock i don't understand...

I'm playing a few steam next games and unsurprisingly its FPS games. The first one was beyond sunset drive essentially a cyberpunk doom wad. Not a bad little demo, my only niggles is perhaps how quickly enemies gang up on you very quickly, if you're holding guns it might be an issue as you're surrounded. Sure, there is a execution button but thats intermittant. i need to check if there is a melee button when holding a gun.

The second game is fortune's run. its a sort of cyberpunk action adventure with a retro aesthetic with similarities with deus ex (inventory, health etc). The game is supposed to be a more action based deus ex as you can perform slowmo, wall jump and is faster paced. The game itself? i dunno in many ways i like it a lot and yet the game rubs me the wrong way too frequently. i'll keep an eye out for this one though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts