June 2023 Random Game Thoughts Thread

June Sale Dates:

Steam: Next Fest: June 19 - 26, Summer Sale: June 29 - July 13
Epic: Mega Sale: Through June 15
GoG: Neon Dreams: There are several small scale sales going on right now. No idea when the summer sale is.

Coming to Game Pass in June:

Car Mechanic Simulator 2021, June 1
Slayers X, June 1
The Big Con, June 1
Hypnospace Outlaw, June 6
Amnesia, The Bunker, June 6
Rune Factory 4 Special, June 8
Stacking, June 8
Dordogne, June 13

Top Game Launches for June (From PC Gamer):

• June 1 — Killer Frequency - First-person '80s slasher adventure (Steam)
  • June 2 — Street Fighter 6 - Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu Ryu (Steam)
  • June 2 — We Love Katamari Reroll+ - Rollemup remaster (Steam)
  • June 6 — Amnesia: The Bunker - WWI sequel to hallmark horror (Steam)
  • June 6 — Diablo 4 - The long-awaited action RPG sequel (Battle.net)
  • June 8 — Harmony: The Fall of Reverie - Choice-driven visual novel (Steam)
  • June 8 — Mask of the Rose - Fallen London's 'sort-of' dating sim (Steam)
  • June 8Riders Republic - Ubisoft's downhill sports wildlife reserve (Steam)
  • June 9 — Greyhill Incident - LGM-shootin' horror FPS (Steam)
  • June 13 — Dordogne - Gorgeous watercolor childhood adventure (Steam)
  • June 14 — Oblivion Override - Cyborg Dead Cells (Steam)
  • June 15 — Layers of Fear - More horror from Bloober Team (Steam)
  • June 16 — Park Beyond - Tycoon simulator of the rollercoaster type (Steam)
  • June 20 — Aliens: Dark Descent - Xenomorph-slaying squad RTS (Steam)
  • June 27 — Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life - Harvest Moon redux (Steam)
  • June 30 — Crime O'Clock - Hidden object crime-busting (Steam)
  • June 30 — Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - Poltergeist puzzler port (Steam)

Notable DLC Releasing in June:

Coming to Early Access in June:​

Additional June Releases Perhaps of Interest:​

Last edited:
Grabbed this from a Gameranx video, saved it as 'EA Graveyard'.

8BRcWOB.png

@ZedClampet - I love these monthly random game thoughts threads, as opposed to our old weekly version, as it's much easier to follow what individuals are playing. It's also, as I think I said previously, a great way to see what's scheduled for release. How long does it take you to compile all those upcoming release links? Seems like it would take hours. Maybe you do it over the course of several days instead of all at once? It's much appreciated anyway, I think by everyone.

Nothing on that list really interests me, but one game that I'm keeping an eye on that's not on that list and currently scheduled for a 6/21/2023 release is Trepang2. Weird name, but it looks like an old-school shooter, very similar to the first Fear game. I'm not big on most of the new release shooters for various reasons, but this looks like a lot of fun to me.

As far as my current gaming goes, I finished up Prey earlier this week (I actually finished a non-RPG from start to finish, which is rare for me). I had my doubts at first, mainly because of the combat, which at first felt difficult armed only with a wrench and very few skills.

But it opened up dramatically once I found the GLOO Gun which opens up so many more options in how to handle not only combat, but exploration (plus realizing that I couldn't just waltz into any unlocked room or area). The story, exploration, mechanics (not including the hacking minigame), and brief character interactions were great. And the combat became more fluid later in the game. Very RPG-like, and a very underappreciated game overall.

I don't know how many different ending there were, but I was happy with my ending.
0Fj0GEh.png

While I intend to play the new System Shock Remake, I thought I'd wait until the end of June for the Steam Summer Sale to see if there was a bit of a discount. So I've started another run through the Solasta main campaign so that I could play through my newly purchased Palace of Ice DLC (which is a continuation of the main campaign). You don't have to do it that way, but it seemed appropriate to me, plus I love rolling the dice in character creation.

@ZedClampet - I love these monthly random game thoughts threads, as opposed to our old weekly version, as it's much easier to follow what individuals are playing. It's also, as I think I said previously, a great way to see what's scheduled for release. How long does it take you to compile all those upcoming release links? Seems like it would take hours. Maybe you do it over the course of several days instead of all at once? It's much appreciated anyway, I think by everyone.
It doesn't take all that long, but I couldn't take a guess right now. Next month I'll time it.

When I was doing the "other" releases and came across Trepang2, I thought it was in the PC Gamer list, so I didn't add it. I have to go back and forth so much I just got confused. Went back and added it now. Thanks for the heads up.

Obviously, there are a ton of games I don't add, but that one should have been in there.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Grabbed this from a Gameranx video, saved it as 'EA Graveyard'.
Eeesh, imagine being "Pandemic Studios" in 2020. They would have had to make a FAST name change.

that image drew one line at a time... looks at imgur, oh its down... that explains it. I felt like internet had gone back 20 odd years to when it did draw images one line at a time.
With interleaving, so we could guess what the picture looks like before it was even half loaded!

I (and i never get like this) did something neat on facebook! I made a post that got over 1.2k likes! (so far).

It was my anticipation for Diablo 4 and i wanted to be funny so heres the post (i think its SFW)...

h6Ke3M3.jpg

I got all sorts of fun comments from "press any button, press the belly button" which made me laugh to "your mouse is s**t". Not a lot of fat shaming comments, mostly supportive ones! So it kinda made my day.

Diablo 4 has taken over my life, got a small group of clan members from Destiny 2 to join me, and were having a blast so far, also no connecting issues.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Diablo 4 has taken over my life, got a small group of clan members from Destiny 2 to join me, and were having a blast so far, also no connecting issues.
We'll see how it goes when most of the players join on 6th June... :> I wonder what are the sale percentages of each version of Diablo 4, but I presume most of the people grabbed the standard edition like usual.

An example of the typical process of a Minecraft project:

1. I discover I need a bunch of diamonds.
  2. I check the in-game search function to see if there are any ways to get diamonds easier than simply digging for them.
  3. I find a recipe where I can turn 8 coal/charcoal and 1 flint into a ball, put that in a compressor, then combine 8 compressed balls with an obsidian to create graphene, which can go back into the compressor again to make diamonds.
  4. I look up sources for all the ingredients. Charcoal can easily be made by burning logs. Flint can be made by washing gravel. Obsidian can be made by washing magma blocks. Doesn't seem too bad.
  5. I built a nether portal and immediately find a large source of magma blocks, enough for all the diamonds I could ever want for.
  6. I find flint chickens, which lay flint instead of eggs and can easily be bred to the point that I get more flint than I know what to do with. Everything is going really well so far.
  7. I summon a lumberjack spirit, using materials I had already gathered when summoning an ore processing spirit. However, its pathfinding is broken. Luckily it somehow fixes itself when I start the game again later, so I built it a large forest. However, when I move him into the forest, his pathfinding breaks again and doesn't come back.
  8. I find a machine that can harvest trees and replant the saplings. However, it doesn't collect the resources automatically. So now I need a way to power this machine and a way to gather and sort all of the resources. Also, it needs a piece of amber, a resource specific to this mod.
  9. The amber can be created with lava, a fire charge, a redstone block and gold. However, redstone and gold are needed for a lot of things and the only source I have for them is to mine, which is a lot of effort. Luckily there's an alternative recipe that uses honey instead of lava, a single redstone powder instead of a redstone block and a magma block instead of a gold.
  10. Honey comes only from bee hives (or the bee dimension). However, there don't seem to be any bee hives near my base (or portals to the bee dimension). Luckily, some research shows that bee hives have a 5% chance to spawn when an oak tree grows near a flower. Good thing I had cleared an area already to set up a forest. It only takes a little while to get 5 hives, which start producing honey pretty quickly.
  11. By now it's been at least two weeks since I first set out to make an automated process to create diamonds. I could not have foreseen that becoming a beekeeper would somehow be a part of this process, but here we are.
  12. I realize I still haven't automated any of the steps in the process since I begon.
Of course I have done about a dozen different projects in between working on this one. Pretty much all of them have involved setting up yet another set of machines or gathering some obscure resource, or both. None of them have been automated so far.

The Signal From Tölva | GOG 74% | Steam 70% | Metacritic 69%

Far Cry with robots, someone said, so I put a few hours into this. Robots yes, Far Cry no—but it's an indie, so temper expectations.

Open World FPS where you're a robot in one of 3 factions battling on an alien planet—the other 2 factions fight each other too, which can be useful tactically. No bugs, Alt-Tab works fine, manual Save available, Medium load time, quick quit to desktop.

Open World… not really. If you wander off in a random direction, there isn't much variety, and no verticality that I met. The world is empty is the main problem, so there's no reward for wandering far afield—wander across the wide corridor to the next objective and collect some debris/currency is all I could see.

You get a pistol and 2 main weapons, seem to be strong damage for short-medium and ~½ damage for medium-long. They're energy weapons, which I'm not used to from other games—not sure if it's infinite ammo, but I never ran out. There are reload and cooldown periods tho, 3-4 seconds each.

There's a mechanic where you can 'deputize' some of your faction's robots to become combat buddies—but… and it's a BIG BUT—you have to give up one of your 2 weapon slots for the controller. If the buddies were badass it might be worth it, but they die easily—so scratch that mechanic and keep your 2 weapons.

There's nothing else as far as I could see—no vehicles, no climbing, no explosives, no places worth exploring for themselves. Just a repetitive long walk between repetitive gunfights, with no discernible tactical options I could see.

It's a decent indie effort, but I've been spoiled by Far Cry, so ultimately too boring.

I played today's update to Big Ambitions then had this conversation:

Me: Are you specifically trying to get rid of all your players? (was a rhetorical question)

Dev: I can assure you we aren't. We are only trying to make the game better.

Me: By completely changing the focus to mind-numbing busy-work as opposed to setting up successful businesses?

Dev: Would you mind sending in a bug report with your name in it so I can see what's happening?

Me: I just spent 30 minutes copying in-game statistics for you, but sure...

This takes the prize for the worst early access update for me. It's even worse than Osiris New Dawn, which I've detailed here at least once. This game was so much fun just a few days ago.

Digital Foundry have to realise that games aren't just about graphics

Graphics won't save this game. Testing its performance is an utter waste of time

Nothing will save this game. First off Gollum from the Shadow of Mordor series from what? 9 years ago? Looks so much better than this games. Second, its a story about gollum (i like the name smeagol more) probably one of the least appealling adventures in the LoTR for a lot of people and Third, its B-O-R-I-N-G. I mean i like the effort for making elves speak elvish, but cool stuff like that is wasted on boring gameplay, even the story which, from what i had played so far, didnt seem all that bad.

Like, i can defend Amazons LoTR series and new stuff like that that gets a lot of ridicule, but this game..its just bad all around and its sad to see the universe be used like this. Really should have been beta tested.

Imo you'd have to redesign the game.

TRENDING THREADS