Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 39 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
click the clip button
Thanks for that! When adding it to my notes, I found I already had this noted…
YT Cutter
…altho this isn't a good look:
Error summary
  • Service temporarily unavailable

YT Cutter claims:
Features
  • Trim and download Youtube movies online
  • Save cropped parts to your computer
  • Export to video, audio or animated GIF
  • Take screenshots of YouTube videos
  • High cropping precision (0.1 sec)
  • Works online, no registration needed

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr
It amazes me that people can't do basic math in their heads. We're having a bathroom remodeled, and the contractor quoted me $23,000, and then said that they required 30 percent up front. As he was reaching for his calculator, I said, "$6900" and he looked at me like I had just levitated a car. He said, "That's amazing. Can you add tax to that?" So I said "$7590" and he was dumbfounded. Makes me understand why so many people use tip calculator apps.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I had a professor in college that was a mathematical physicist that was born, oh, about 100 years ago now. Obviously, he learned his trade before calculators existed. When he was doing problems on the board*, he would run into something like "the cosine of 18.4 degrees" - and he would just know it to about 4 digits! "Oh, that's about .9489." I'm still a bit stunned whenever I think back on it.

*board: meaning a chalkboard, which teachers could write on and then erase. They worked great, and never ran out of charge, and almost never ran out of chalk. You might have seen them in some really old movies.

I had a professor in college that was a mathematical physicist that was born, oh, about 100 years ago now. Obviously, he learned his trade before calculators existed. When he was doing problems on the board*, he would run into something like "the cosine of 18.4 degrees" - and he would just know it to about 4 digits! "Oh, that's about .9489." I'm still a bit stunned whenever I think back on it.

*board: meaning a chalkboard, which teachers could write on and then erase. They worked great, and never ran out of charge, and almost never ran out of chalk. You might have seen them in some really old movies.

They had mostly advanced to white boards by the time I was in school. Some had overhead projectors too, but that was mostly so the teachers could sit down and not have to tax themselves walking up and down a board.

It amazes me that people can't do basic math in their heads.
It seems to be an aptitude, which you have or don't. Like languages or teaching or entrepreneurship or…
I know many bright people who can't do mental math.
Well, that's me, not the bright part, but not being able to do simple math mentally. Some things I'm fairly decent at, but when it comes to mental math, my brain just goes into lockdown mode and says, "Nope, nope, nope, I'm not gonna do that".

And speaking of schools, blackboards, erasers and such from the old days, do any of you remember having air raid drills when you were in grade school? Much like a fire drill, but with an air raid siren, and instead of filing in orderly rows outside the school, you filed out of the classroom and down into the basement (if no basement, then a centralized location that was structurally sound), face the wall, kneel and lock your hands behind your head. Like that's going to help.

Very bizarre when I think back on it, and it's an old memory from when I was 7 or 8 years old, back in the early 1960s, and especially during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962.

Well, that's me, not the bright part, but not being able to do simple math mentally. Some things I'm fairly decent at, but when it comes to mental math, my brain just goes into lockdown mode and says, "Nope, nope, nope, I'm not gonna do that".
I never really looked at it in that way before. I thought people weren't putting in the effort. Makes sense, though, that some people just aren't wired that way.

And speaking of schools, blackboards, erasers and such from the old days, do any of you remember having air raid drills when you were in grade school? Much like a fire drill, but with an air raid siren, and instead of filing in orderly rows outside the school, you filed out of the classroom and down into the basement (if no basement, then a centralized location that was structurally sound), face the wall, kneel and lock your hands behind your head. Like that's going to help.

Very bizarre when I think back on it, and it's an old memory from when I was 7 or 8 years old, back in the early 1960s, and especially during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962.
We did this when I was in elementary school during the early/mid 70s.

What is amazing to me is that people didn't complain about it traumatizing their children. We were specifically told this was in preparation for a nuclear attack. Personally, I used to love the bomb drills, the fire drills, etc. Basically anything that got me out of class for a minute, and it never occurred to me that we might actually have to do it for real.

Reminds me of a slightly off-topic thing that happened to me. My daughter absolutely hated the private school we sent her to all through middle school (we finally let her just go to public school for high school). Every morning she would whine all the way to school and not want to go, but usually maintaining her dry sense of humor about it. One morning, we were about 2 blocks from the campus when a firetruck went zooming past us. She yelled, "IT'S HAPPENING!" Sadly (I guess) the school was not on fire.

She never really did like school again until she got to college. I used to pick on her in the mornings and give her some Disney encouragement like "Remember, all your dreams can come true if only you believe!" And she would whack me over the head with her backpack. Guido always enjoyed that.

Edit: Honestly, what got her to like college, I think, was her 6 months in the Marines before she was injured and honorably discharged (she fell about 20 feet and landed on solid ground messing up her right foot, although she says now that it feels normal again).. They managed to beat 18 years of mediocre parenting out of her in about 72 hours.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Air raid? In Kansas City? That would be a surprise. We had plenty of fire and tornado drills, though.

I remember one time at work we had a proper tornado warning. When we were all down in the parking garage below the building, somebody leaned up against the fire alarm without thinking and somehow managed to trip it. Uhhh, now what?? The tornado is some miles away and past us, but it's still stormy. Inside it's liable to be on fire and very loud.

We all went outside. The rain was stopping so it wasn't too bad, and a fire truck came around and announced that the alarm was false after maybe half an hour.

I used to pick on her in the mornings and give her some Disney encouragement like "Remember, all your dreams can come true if only you believe!" And she would whack me over the head with her backpack. Guido always enjoyed that.
Would he happened to have taken any videos? ;)

Air raid? In Kansas City? That would be a surprise. We had plenty of fire and tornado drills, though.

I remember one time at work we had a proper tornado warning. When we were all down in the parking garage below the building, somebody leaned up against the fire alarm without thinking and somehow managed to trip it. Uhhh, now what?? The tornado is some miles away and past us, but it's still stormy. Inside it's liable to be on fire and very loud.

We all went outside. The rain was stopping so it wasn't too bad, and a fire truck came around and announced that the alarm was false after maybe half an hour.

Would he happened to have taken any videos? ;)
Nope. He was too young to have a phone.

Got a lot of stuff going on with the house this week. Remodeling two bathrooms. Moving the laundry room. Laying new tile in two rooms (plus the bathrooms). Wife is packing to go stay in a hotel until they are done while I hang out here with the workers. Would just be too much noise for her to work during the whole thing. Not sure whether I'll spend the nights at the hotel or not. Just depends on whether we still have working bathrooms at the end of the day.

Trying to convince the wife that we should rent this place out after bringing it up to standards and buy a condo downtown. I've always wanted to live downtown. Much fond memories of it during my childhood.

After the kids graduate from college, if I'm still around, we might move to wherever they go if they don't come back here. Then we could rent the condo out, too. I've grown increasingly interested in having my kids inherit property due to skyrocketing house prices, Just got to make sure they inherit enough money to afford to pay the taxes on the properties instead of having to sell them. The American dream is getting harder and harder to realize.

The American dream is getting harder and harder to realize.

A new study was just released here indicating that almost half of all households struggle to pay their bills every month. Only 11% actually falls behind om bills, so most of them can still manage (so far), but it's still an insane percentage of people who are financially unstable right now.

And also, from Wiki:
"Several large studies of mobility in developed countries in recent years have found the US among the lowest in mobility"
That's not very surprising. The US has some unique situations, most of which would be inappropriate to discuss here, but also including a significantly higher median income ($54k--and, no, CEOs don't actually skew the numbers) than other countries (don't google average American income. Google comes up with the wrong answer). Still, even though the US is lower in mobility, over half the people born into the lowest quintile improve their lot, which is actually higher than I imagined it would be.

But I was talking carelessly and wasn't meaning mobility at all. I was just talking about house prices. My kids don't need to claw their way out of poverty, thank Jebus.

Last night I was in the hotel, and I woke up at some point and my blood sugar was very low (Type 1 diabetes). I was disoriented. It's as bad as I've ever had it because I forgot to bring my testing kit to the hotel.

I didn't have my glucose either (idiot), so I got out of bed and grabbed the "family size" box of Cheeze-It crackers my wife had bought, and I sat down in one of the armchairs, ate a couple of crackers and fell asleep. I woke up some time later and thought, "I need to eat the crackers," and I took a handful and ate one and fell asleep. I woke up later and thought, I need to eat some crackers, so I got a handful and ate a couple and fell asleep. I woke up later and thought, "I need to eat a couple of crackers and go to bed," so I ate a couple of crackers and went to bed.

I woke up about 6 am and grabbed my phone to use the flashlight, and I went over to the armchair where my laptop was. There were crackers everywhere, all over my laptop, all over the floor. Apparently I kept grabbing handfuls of crackers, falling asleep and then letting go of the crackers.

You had to be there, I suppose, but I thought it was kind of funny.

Oh look, I was an hour late for… :rolleyes:

Spring Forward, Fall Back needs to go away. Our state voted to stay on Daylight Savings Time year-round back in 2016, but it's only recently the feds processed it—so hopefully this is the last time change for us.

Time zones need to go away too. I'm surprised the aviation industry doesn't fall apart twice a year, with some places changing by an hour across multiple time zones.

"Good morning passengers, did y'all change your time pieces this morning?
Good, good…
Well, y'all need to change 'em back again, cos this state doesn't change time for another week."

Zloth

Community Contributor
Spring Forward, Fall Back needs to go away. Our state voted to stay on Daylight Savings Time year-round back in 2016, but it's only recently the feds processed it—so hopefully this is the last time change for us.
Changed to be forever STANDARD time! Actually, it seems like the time zones are set so the eastern edge gets the sun directly overhead at noon, so let's move the clocks back an hour and a half to put that more toward the center of each zone.

TRENDING THREADS