Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 38 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I'm remaining a bit skeptical, as what content int the books remains to be covered? While I greatly enjoyed the movies, especially seeing them the first time, it feels to me like it's time to move on to something else, especially if the producer has a big budget to work with, there are a lot of good fantasy books (or even games) that could make excellent movie.

It seems to me they're trying to do this:
jZ8Cn6u.jpg

There's still the entire Silmarillion, plus a bunch of other books that flesh out the history of Middle-Earth and the places around it.

I'll put this here where none of the impacted people will read it, but I'm consistently shocked at the poor quality of surveys people post here for their dissertations. Do they not have to work with professors on these things? Are the professors just as terrible at it as the students? If this is what is passing for academic research these days, that's a pretty sad statement. Reminds me that any time I see an article on "Study shows that..." that I should take the results with a huge grain of salt. Back when I worked in quality systems I wouldn't have accepted any of these surveys. Not one.

It seems to me they're trying to do this
My thought too, but I'm not familiar with it so @Pifanjr may have a good point :)
I wouldn't have accepted any of these surveys
I hear you. I remember the first 1-2 I saw posted here, I made a few 'helpful' comments, but got nowhere—I expect a lot of it may just be ticking a box on the way to completing a course.

These are just student surveys tho, and we don't know how they're received when presented for evaluation. But I sure hope professional surveys are much much more carefully formulated and supervised.

These are just student surveys tho, and we don't know how they're received when presented for evaluation. But I sure hope professional surveys are much much more carefully formulated and supervised.
Yes, but people doing work for advanced degrees often get attention in the press if the study says something that might get clicks. Of course, you would have to get your study published first, and I hope that would be a stumbling block for most of these.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yeah, the Silmarillion has a bunch of info that could be used for stories. Like @ZedClampet, though, why mine the lesser-known works of such old books? Really, I would much rather they hire a good writer to write shows/movies for them. That way they don't have to shoe-horn romance into novels that don't have romance (e.g. The Hobbit) or shoe-horn action into novels that aren't into that (e.g. Foundation).

On the surveys - no idea what's up with that. No idea what goes on in all those video game development colleges in general, really.

My wife had her first D&D session this past weekend. She enjoyed it, but was a little put off by all the voice acting everyone did, the role playing, basically. She doesn't seem too excited to do it again.

It sounds like they didn't do a great job at managing her expectations. D&D has gotten so broadly used in so many different ways that it's pretty much mandatory to do a so called "session 0" to make sure everyone wants the same thing out of the game.

My daughter got a job at a charity thrift shop that helps the local homeless population, which actually congregates near the shop. First, she got into trouble for buying a homeless guy a Gatorade, and then another homeless person came into the store and used the bathroom (No. 2) in one of the chairs for sale. The manager told her to go clean it up, and she responded, "Nope. Not for $12/hour," so the manager went and did it herself. Kind of a rough start for a job.

On the bright side, everyone in town is hiring, so she could find something else quickly if she needed to. She won't accept parental financial help. She has scholarships and two jobs. Hasn't taken out a student loan, which is good. Basically her tuition and books are paid for with scholarships with a small amount left over for her living expenses.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
First you click the clip button:
full

That won't appear on all videos. If it doesn't show up, even under the ..., then you're out of luck. If it is, though, you'll get something like this when you click it:

full

It will pop up with the next 15 seconds by default, but you can change those time values to whatever you want. (Do try to keep the beginning before the end, though, huh? ;)) The video will keep looping according to the times you put in, so you can fine tune it if you want. Now go to the top and give the clip a name. The share button will light up. Click it, and it will give you the URL of the clip!

The clip also gets saved to your account. You can find your clips under My Clips on the left side.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts