Buying Epos or Sennheiser headphones is like putting grandma in charge of your sound settings.

I have two different models of Epos headsets and a Sennheiser headphone, and they all are basically the same story. Just for playing games, Epos/Sennheiser are hard to beat. The microphones are always top notch (generally no mics on Sennheiser), as is the overall construction. They are comfortable enough for long gaming sessions, and the sound quality within games when played on a moderate to low volume is very good.

If you want them for music, there are some giant caveats.

If you fancy yourself an audiophile and like your music quiet and muted, you'll love these (audiophiles and grandmas have much in common). If you are a headbanger or bass head or just don't think grandma should touch your sound settings, then I wouldn't recommend buying Epos/Sennheiser headsets/headphones unless you have a very good DAC with an equalizer, and even then you are going to probably not like them. The sound they produce is anything but fun. Besides the hideous sound pressure (which attempts to hide sound artefacts and interference--not really a problem for at least 5 to 10 years), the overall sound is muted, and the bass is almost ridiculously weak.

Want to listen to Lawrence Welk? These will do great. AC/DC? Only if you are playing a song for someone like my wife who is habitually turning volumes down to barely discernable levels. If you like music by solo guys with guitars who think they've figured out that love is the purpose of the universe, by all means, consider Epos/Sennheiser. Other than that, Muzak is probably pretty good. If you go to the grocery store mostly for the music, these will do great. Everyone else should keep looking.

UPDATE March 10th [from post #4]

After I posted this I was still thinking about the headset when it dawned on me that the volume control on the right ear didn't do anything at all, and if it wasn't doing anything at all, then there was a problem.

Long story short, I sent the headset in, and they sent me a new one that works just fine. Actually it's awesome. I'm wearing it right now. May be my favorite headset.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
In general i would say Headsets are not optimal for music as they are most often tuned for different kinds of usecases, for a gaming headset it is more important to have a focus on, say, hearing footsteps and spatial awareness than it is when listening to music. I have both a Sennheiser gsp550 headset (from before the gaming brand became epos) and a pair of Beyerdynamics DT900 Pro X and the DT900 just run 8s around then sennheisers when it comes to Music, video etc. Tbh i prefer the DTs for gaming now aswell but on the rare occation i play multiplayer and want to chat at the same time, the gps550s are a realy good option for me :)

On top of that, I run a Soundblaster X G6 DAC which the DTs are connected to, just comparing that DAC to the build in for the Sennheisers is hardly a fair fight either when it comes to music and movies etc. However, the Sennheisers are good at what they are aimed for so it is not realy an appels to apples comparison imo.

Last edited:
Its a really big generalization to say Sennheiser Headphones all sound the same. While its true the lower price ones have what is classed a "Consumer" tuning with more bass, the more expensive ones are suited for specific roles. And they sell one pair that cost $USD60000 and come with own amp dac
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8iK56cd0v4
I can't comment on Epos as I have never heard of them.

In general i would say Headsets are not optimal for music as they are most often tuned for different kinds of usecases, for a gaming headset it is more important to have a focus on, say, hearing footsteps and spatial awareness than it is when listening to music.
Yep. Why it was hard to pick an all rounder that is good at music and games. I erred on side of music, and got the Battys instead.

These come close but I wasn't sure about headband adjustment
Might get some later... not sure.

These are a cheaper newer alternative since they promise loseless Wireless
Yes, they say PS5 but they also work on PC.
Given Sony now owns Audeze, I wonder if the Maxwell will also ever get losless wireless. Might wait and see.

None of these need a DAC. Easy to drive.
Once I buy a DAP, I will probably pick up some Sennheiser HD600. 25 year old design, they got it right first time.

Last edited:
I need to update this thread. After I posted this I was still thinking about the headset when it dawned on me that the volume control on the right ear didn't do anything at all, and if it wasn't doing anything at all, then there was a problem.

Long story short, I sent the headset in, and they sent me a new one that works just fine. Actually it's awesome. I'm wearing it right now. May be my favorite headset.

So, yeah, dumb of me not to immediately realize there was an actual problem with the headset that could be fixed.

It's too late for me to edit the OP or I would have put the update there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts